Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19

Author Topic: Zirilzuntîr - FireAnvil - The Forge of war (Community Fo  (Read 18316 times)

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
Re: Zirilzuntîr - FireAnvil - The Forge of war (Community Fo
« Reply #135 on: July 01, 2008, 05:54:08 am »

Sure. I'll add both new dwarves later today, and I'll probabally make the next big post on wednesday or thursday.

Got a name for your new dwarf?
DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 01, 2008, 04:46:42 pm »

Ugh. I've reached the point in the game which I call the "Breaking Point", where unless I spend hours micro-managing, I miss important events. Of note, a Giant Bat in the cavern has a name for slaying some random hunter, and I also wound up getting 2 or 3 other dwarves killed during construction mishaps (trying to fix the damned waterfall)

I'll probabally be posting more important content and leaving out the boring stuff  :P
DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

Ghib

• Bay Watcher
  • CATAPULTS
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 01, 2008, 05:21:10 pm »

I'm not sure whether to be happy or sad!... The missing of important events, or the fact that you're posting.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 02, 2008, 04:01:24 pm »

Alright here's the scoop. I've got some good content to write about but I don't wanna half-ass it. I might write tomorrow and I might not depending on some things I don't know yet. If I don't write tomorrow the next post will probabally be on monday.

Sparksol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 05, 2008, 08:56:46 pm »

I've been working on the bacon problem for weeks, and I can't find a good way to make the stuff stable enough to be a chair. I did manage a necklace, and a ring, but bacon furniture will take some more planning. Making it baconstone helps slightly, but not nearly enough.
Religion, over time, tends to diverge. Science tends to converge.
Funny thing about magic, it doesn't consistently go either way.

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 07, 2008, 01:49:36 am »

Poor Nilumoz, if only he had had the the opportunity to bludgeon even a single goblin, regardless, he gave his life for the fortress. Heh, his name actually meant Hammer Rampage... Ah, its awesome that he's getting a statue though. Nilumoz's fall... Trippy. 'Grats on the awesome story telling. Im really enjoying the twists.

Also, how is Nilumoz's wife taking it? Is she hysterical and beating the guards? Or is she happily throwing a statue party while toting her sprog on her back?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 02:06:46 am by Slinkyfest »
GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 07, 2008, 06:42:00 am »

I haven't had any dwarves tantruming yet. I'll check on her specifically next time I play.
The only dwarf acting particularally pecular is cookie, who keeps trying to have a meeting with someone ever since the incident with his two dogs.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 07, 2008, 07:01:56 am »

~~~Diary of Besmar Melbilamal, Army supply officer, 1061~~~

15th Hematite
The Human merchants have arrived, only a short time after our horrible losses to the goblins. I’ve started the usual preparations of moving our crafts to the depot and setting up sale prices, but my heart isn’t into it. There’s something cynical and undwarvenly about trading trinkets for wood and cloth when my friends are being entombed.

I’ve also been informed that a new emergency election is to take place this week, and I am once again being called upon as an impartial observer to tally the vote. I believe all the ruckus with the goblins has brought to light the horrible fallacy of Beryl in a leadership role.

=Events as they occurred, 17th Hematite 1061=

“The total tally is 14 to 23, in Feb Avunzenshal’s favor. You have seen me count the votes TWICE Beryl, there can be no denying the outcome.” Besmar’s coal eyes squinted at the grumpy hag he had come to dislike so. He did well to hide the pleasure at her defeat.

“That’s unacceptable! I’m the mayor here! It isn’t my fault that the battle of Nilumoz’s Fall went awry! That’s the military’s job!” Beryl’s protests fell on deaf, angry ears.

“Aye, lass, and if I recall correctly yer also part of the military. Don’t feel bad, I’m sure Feb will do a much better job managing things around here!” Besmar stood up from his paper-cluttered felsite desk and cracked a smile, rolling the green and red stone marbles into the pouch marked ‘Ballot Marbles’. Besmar figured at this moment anyone else would do a better job than Beryl.

Feb smiled and nodded her approval before proudly walking out of Besmar’s office to claim the mayor’s quarters.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 07, 2008, 09:15:39 am »

Nice story, mind if i join in? Name a male marksdwarf Zak and be sure to train him in close combat later, with armor & shield if you can!

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 07, 2008, 10:06:26 am »

=Events as they occurred, 18th Hematite 1061=

Even though the iron statue glimmered in the pale light of the magma forges, Nifo would polish the statue until every inch of it shone like the love she had for Boatsmoke. She had worked on the iron memorial herself, as no other dwarf could truly capture the bravery and strength that had caused her love to charge into a battle he stood little chance of winning. Nifo had known Boatsmoke since the two came together to found Zirilzuntîr.

Until now, she had kept her composure. Dwarves live and die on a regular basis, but as Nifo placed the final layer of polish on Boatsmoke’s stubby nose, she let out a single choked sob. “Dwarves only fall in love but once…”

Besmar kept to the shadows, a charcoal pencil pressing itself to a thin slab of rope reed cloth, as he marked down the words he would say later that evening. This moment, although a beautiful symbol of Boatsmoke’s effect on his fellow dwarves, was private.

Evening

The leaves of trees rustled above Besmar, who stood beside the towering statue of Boatsmoke. The Statue glimmered in the low light of the moon, but to the dwarves it might as well have been pure daylight. Every dwarf in Zirilzuntîr was present, captivated by the statue’s awe-inspiring subject. All except Beryl, who was nowhere to be found.

Besmar composed himself, and cleared his throat to speak. “Today we honor our fallen heroes, our friends, and our loved ones. The green swarm took from us three of our finest dwarves, but they did not take all. In the mountainhomes every dwarf is judged on wealth, on stature and on duties. Here at Zirilzuntîr we are only judged by our bravery and loyalty to our kin. Every dwarf has a job to do and a part to be played. Boatsmoke knew this, but when he saw the evil goblin eyes he did not turn and run in fear, but ran forward to fight on and spare the lives of others.”

Besmar scanned the crowd, who all watched attentively, before continuing. “Nilumoz too gave his life in defense of ours. He leaves behind a wife and child, but these thoughts did not cloud his judgment. He led the charge against our enemy, and fell honorably at their hands. These monuments stand against the eastern and northern boarders not as reminders of their deaths but as monuments to dwarven bravery and honor. The same blood that beats in the hearts of fallen heroes runs through us all, and against all odds we shall give our lives gladly and without fear! Zirilzuntîr is our home now, and we shall defend it to the last!”

“How?” A small voice squeaked out in the crowd, and all dwarven eyes turned slowly to find its source. Kornash Bimmeden slowly stepped forward from the crowd. “How will we survive when every raid of the endless scourge brings new deaths?”

Besmar let out a soft groan of conceded defeat. “Mayor Feb is… open to suggestions on how to defend our boarders… If any dwarf has ideas on how to thin the ranks of the goblins before they reach our gates, please… feel free to step forward…

The crowd’s silence interrupted into disgruntled murmurs and whispers, before Jonathan came forward with a plan. “We should build a watchtower overlooking the cliffs. It wouldn’t need to be very tall, just high enough for the marksdwarves to view both edges of our northern boarder. We could even tie up a few guard dogs to warn us when Goblins try to sneak past…”

Besmar nodded to Feb, who signaled for Jonathan to follow her. It seemed like Zirilzuntîr was going to dig in its heels.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 07, 2008, 06:18:26 pm »

Meng (Nilumoz's wife) is taking things very well, due to her nice bedroom, the great food and drink that the fortress has to offer, and the fact that her daughter is old enough to talk to.

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 08, 2008, 04:18:07 am »

Oooh, a watchtower, nice idea, are you planning on building it with an underground entrance so the marksdwarves aren't ambushed or are you going to have them just run away before that happens?

Also, if its possible, could you choose a different colour than yellow for the glows, it could just be me but I find I have to highlight the yellow glow words to see what they say.

Looks like its coming along nicely overall though.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 08, 2008, 05:55:15 am »

Yes, and yes!
I figure an underground enterence will take longer to move dwarves to-and-from, but it'll be worth the extra security.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 08, 2008, 07:23:12 am »

-27th of Hematite
After a few hours of negotiation I traded tons of our crafts in return for enough meat, cloth, and even some iron and bronze weapons to form an army. I believe our relationship with the humans has come far in the last decade, and their willingness to deal in critical supplies in return for fine dwarven trinkets shows that they are prosperous and fair. I couldn’t be more pleased.

-5th of Malachite
Today the child Likot Ustuthcerol went missing. His parents brought a pair of socks left behind in their room that belonged to the child. At first I thought the boy had just gone off barefoot in search of adventure by the brook, but a quick search using the hunting dogs turned up no sign of the lad, save a pair of goblin tracks leading to the north…

I’ve given my best consolations to Likot’s parents, but... there is no peace in goblin mouths…

-1st of Galena

First of the month report:

There has been a rash of accidents lately, with a few dwarves killed in battles with giant cave bats and mining accidents while working on the waterfall in the great hall…
There is still excess work to be done even with 70 dwarves. All of the critical tasks are done on time, but hauling jobs seem to take months for the workers to get around to, and I fear that our healthcare system might suffer as well.

A quick survey of our stockpiles indicates that we have more than enough steel goods to meet our quota this year, as well as an excess of goods to be traded for supplies. I’ve considered pulling back the tasks of our stone crafters to focus on other important tasks, but my great-great-granduncle always used to say “Dwarves carve money from the stone, let the elves and humans do the hard work of hunting deer and weaving cloth, and you’ll always come out ahead!”.  Me great-great-gruncle was a wise one, aye.

Work has begun on the northern watchtower. I’ve ordered its construction on the cliff just above Nilumoz’s fall. From there the marksdwarves will have a serious height advantage over any goblins that move through the forest below.

=Events as they Occurred, 16th of Galena=

“Agh!! Drop me ye crazy she-fiend!” Urist the mason beat on Ruefus’s shoulders as she held him a foot off the ground, gazing up at him with wild eyes. “THE OVAL MARBLE COMES!!! WALL THYSELVES IN THY CITIES!! PROTECT THE CHILDREN WITH THE OVAL MARBLE ZENETH!!”

Ruefus dropped Urist to the floor, where he scrambled to his feet and ran screaming out of his mason’s shop, leaving his tools behind. He darted behind Besmar, Sibruk, and Krash, who had formed a wall of stone chairs from which to observe Ruefus in safety.

“What in the blazes is she doing?! I’ve never seen her so anxious to work on anything. I heard she ate a plump helmet seed cookie, then threw it up and started screaming at it!” Besmar peered at the she-dwarf as she grabbed a huge marble boulder from the stockpile and drug it back to the mason’s shop.

“Augh, sickening!” Sibrek, the skilled hammerlord, scrunched her face in disgust.

Besmar stood up and held his hands together forming a trumpet over his mouth. “Lass! OI! That Marble is to be used for smeltin’ steel only! I demand that ye…” Besmar hit the deck as a half-finished felsite drum cruised through the air above the chair blockade, screams erupting from the workshop.

“MARBLE BELONGS TO BE-THA’GUS! THE OVAL ZENETH!”

Krash toyed with the spiked ball of his flail, looking up with a grin at Besmar. “Ye want me to whump ‘er one?”

Besmar scowled. “No… Looks like she’s done taking all of our marble… Let her work in secret.”

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 10, 2008, 01:34:08 pm »

-16th of Galena

Ruefus emerged today with Odgubrifot, "Mob-block", Marble Armor Stand. It is encircled with bands of marble, menaces with spikes of marble, and on the item is an image of dwarves in marble. The dwarves are laboring.

Ruefus can not remember the visions that brought her into such a possessed mood, but she did remember a few details about the artifact. As an armor stand, it stands for a symbol of defense. Marble being not only a symbol of wealth and determination but also a vital part of the steel that we work here. The dwarves depicted on the front plaque dare shown building a huge wall of marble to stop the goblin hordes from reaching their children. The item’s name obviously references the depiction; Dwarves working together to stop mobs of goblins.

=Events as they occurred, 13th of Limestone, 1061=

“Ambush!” Reg Nishtegir, a recruit on patrol on the cliffs to the north side of the trade depot cried out in horror. “Goblins with bows! The Filt…” Reg’s last words were interrupted as a freak arrow punctured both lungs and his kidney, dropping him silent on the pale grey stone.

Tholtig the marksdwarf counted ten goblins in all. Eight bowmen and Two guardsgoblins had split into groups, the first of which began their decent down the northern stairwell as Besmar sounded the warning bell calling all citizens except the militia indoors.

Tholtig held position behind the northern fortification, waiting for the right moment to open fire, while Krash, Sibrek, and a handful of other militia readied their arms and armor.

Worthless goblin arrows clinked against the felsite stone fortification as the goblins crossed the open space between the Cliffside stairwell and the trapped ramp. As soon as the last one left the stairs, Tholtig opened fire with copper bolts.

The goblin Marksman closest to Tholtig took a copper bolt in the chest. As the bolt penetrated the hard iron goblin armor it splintered into two pieces, the second half sliding up into the Goblin’s face. The sound of gurgling goblin screams brought the rest of the clan into action.

Besmar watched from the safety of the trade depot as the goblin squad continued to press on, but Medob PocketJingles the merchant began to argue with the seasoned war veteran. “The Goblins are getting closer to me! How dare you hide behind stone walls while the green filth gets closer to our goods! Your men should rush out and confront the greenskins far away from the safety of the fortress!” Medob huffed in Besmar’s direction, but Besmar ignored him. He was used to putting up with Medob’s anger fits, and found greater joy when the foolish merchant was proven wrong. Typically Medob would just yell and scream until he gave in and nobody got hurt, but this time was different...

“Guards, I order you all to fight on the field!” Before Besmar could react, two of the hammerdwarf guardsmen rushed out and across the sawmill ramp. Besmar’s face twisted in rage as he turned back to Medob. “ACH! Now look what ye’ve done! You’ve sent those men to their deaths!  KRASH, SIBREK! Follow those guards into battle! Tholtig, give them covering fire damnit!”

Olug and Sarbun StoneWatcher rushed the first marksgoblin that they saw, and fortune was with them that the creature was busy firing arrows at the well defended marksdwarves on the other side of the fortification. Olug caught the miserable creature in the legs, bringing it down to the ground where Sarbun crushed its skull. The two brothers had sparred together many times but never had they experienced the joy of battle. Sarbun began laughing as he and his brother continued the charge, Krash and Sibrek still climbing up the sawmill ramp. Behind the brothers followed a pack of dogs released from the gates of Zirilzuntîr.

Tholtig put a second bolt in the goblin she shot earlier, and the creature fell to the earth as Olug and Sarbun trampled over it. The third goblin was not caught off guard, and filled the air with iron arrows. Sarbun took one in the arm and one in the chest, and fell to the earth in a spray of blood. Olug charged on but was no match for the spray of iron bolts that came his way. He crashed silent to the ground only a few feet away from his quarry. The wardogs bared down on the Goblins, causing them to break formation and scatter briefly, but the dogs were soon also lost in a wave of iron arrows.

The sight of Sibrek and Krash barreling down the ramp made the remaining three goblins turn heels and run screaming. Sibrek brought one down in a single blow as Krash chased the remaining marksdwarf and guard fleeing up the stairwell. A well placed copper bolt split the throat of the goblin guard who knelt on the ground gurgling as Krash thundered past. Sibrek ran to Sarbun’s body, which was still moving slightly in the hopes that the dwarf could be saved.

Krash pumped his legs as he climbed the felsite staircase ever faster, gaining ground on the one remaining marksgoblin The goblin took flight into the open plain but Krash’s rage fueled sprint brought the dwarf within weapon range. With a bloody roar Krash spun the spiked ball of his copper flail into the Goblin’s side, sending the creature flying into the air a distance of twenty yards. For a brief moment, Ugoshmuk knew peace, until his face and chest exploded in gore when they collided with the Cliffside.
With a grin, Krash adjusted his helmet, approached the flayed body parts, and took a mostly-intact finger for a prize.

Besmar scowled at Medob, pointing his finger at the two fallen dwarves amongst the bolts and goblin corpses on the battlefield. “There, you see?! That’s why we don’t fight the goblins in the open. If we drew them into the fort the traps would have sent body parts a-flyin’ and goblin’s a screamin' back to their stinking filthy towers!” Medob appeared un-sympathetic. “I paid for m’guards, I’m usin' m’guards, And their job is to keep me OUT of danger. Now, some look at the fine meats I’ve brought from the homeland!”

Besmar sighed his distress as he returned to survey the battlefield. Sibrek and Krash were returning with mixed expressions.

Krash spoke first, motioning to the blood on his flail. “Whumped ‘im good!”. Besmar nodded in approval. “Then none escaped? Well done.”

“The brothers are both dead, sir…” Sibrek breathed heavily, as though the moral weight of the events were pressing on her chest. “Sarbun told me something I… think we should discuss, in private.”

Besmar nodded his approval. “The other goblin squad is holding back, afraid of the carnage that we inflicted here. I’d say we have a few days.”

By nightfall all who were present named this place between the stairs and the sawmill ramp "Krash’s Run”.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 01:52:30 pm by DoctrZombie »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19