Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19

Author Topic: Zirilzuntīr - FireAnvil - The Forge of war (Community Fo  (Read 18315 times)

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
Re: Zirilzuntīr - FireAnvil - The Forge of war (Community Fo
« Reply #120 on: June 27, 2008, 04:23:15 am »

So, how's Boatsmoke doing?

Drakolus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 27, 2008, 08:35:29 am »

Thanks for including me and I love the intro.  A little too eager indeed :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 10:03:47 am by Drakolus »
I like to mine it mine it

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 27, 2008, 09:50:32 am »

Heh, well it seems that our nice litle fortress is starting to catch quite a bit of atention from outside.

In relation to the main story behind the fort, how is the stell industry going? Are we 'packing enogh heat to fight a small war' yet?

Sorry about spelling etc.. its 1 in the moring and im drunk....

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
« Reply #123 on: June 27, 2008, 10:17:50 am »

I don't have the exact count, but I know we've been churning out steel bars non-stop, and I've made more than the 5 steel weapons needed (although I might have to pry them from the hands of our current militia... The ones I've watched are using copper, which is fine for now because they mostly just spar) I will need to set up a 2nd magma smelter (The picture is actually of 1 smelter, 1 glass furnace, and 1 kiln or whatever it is :p)

I'll hafta save up steel and make sure I churn out a suit of armor. I figure the fort will "offer" 5 weapons and 1 chain suit next time the dwarven caravan arrives.

So far I'm not worried about our steel production  :)

I'll check on BoatSmoke sometime this weekend if I get the time. I believe he's clearing the forests of every useable tree trunk for the coal needed for smelting steel (and of course making beds, barrels, and bins). If you want him to get a little more action I can draft him, but he's a logging machine right now.

I'll name the DM Hadriel, but no guarentees that it's male (I didn't check :p)

Ironically, Bob's also got a strong sense of duty. He's the type of medic who will risk his life to help when he's working, but won't be helping someone who's choking when he's enjoying a meal in the same room.  ::)
DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 27, 2008, 02:17:28 pm »

~~~Diary of Besmar Melbilamal, Army supply officer, 1061~~~

-3rd of Felsite
Jonathan emerged from the mason’s shop, dehydrated and confused. He brought with him an incredible marble Quern. He remembers little about what thought process brought him here, but He remembered a few important Details. He calls it Ticekathel "The unbridled Ring" (fitting, for never has a quern such like this been crafted.) It is decorated with turtle bone and encircled with bands of marble and red grossular. It is adorned with hanging rings of marble and turtle shell. The ridge of the bowl menaces with spikes of Highwood on the item is the image of a rhyolite drum in marble.

Jonathan could not explain why he used marble instead of rhyolite, but he did explain the purpose of the drum. Apparently one of the few things he remembered when he was in his possessed state was the beating of war drums, constant pounding in his ears as he worked with demonic skill to craft the quern. He saw horrible visions of goblin armies marching into dwarven and human lands, and always the constant beating of drums…

His tale was unnerving. I feel as though eyes watch over this place. For the first time since our arrival at Zirilzuntīr I feel… afraid…

22nd of Felsite
Beryl's demands for lay pewter are impossible. The hag continues to levy outrageous mandates for materials we do not possess. I will gather every bar of metal I can from the coming caravans, but she wants to complete a set or something.
DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 27, 2008, 11:04:29 pm »

Hmmm... that's an odd sound.... I think I hear the words 'drowning chamber' coming from somewhere..

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 29, 2008, 01:01:20 pm »

I've checked on Boatsmoke's status,  and right now he's busy installing beds into the new rooms for the migrants, but I also ran the game for a good while, and he won't be doing that for long....

Cliffhanger? stay tuned! =D

Ghib

• Bay Watcher
  • CATAPULTS
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2008, 06:21:41 pm »

I'd like to request a Siege Engineer, if you will. Male, with the name of Ghib.

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 30, 2008, 02:55:29 am »

What? Boatsmoke? DEAD? IT CANNOT BE!

Or then you're just pulling my leg.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 30, 2008, 06:40:07 am »

~~~Diary of Besmar Melbilamal, Army supply officer, 1061~~~

-6th of Hematite
In the recent months I have come to learn more about our mysterious Dungeon Mistress. Hadriel possesses some qualities that many dwarves lack, and it is these virtues of patience and understanding that I believe have lead to her incredible abilities with animals. I knew there was something strange when she first approached Oatey and Dot, Nifo’s dogs. The two war dogs are normally very protective of her, but when Hadriel approached they both sat at attention, wagging their tails. I’d love to catch some of those groundhogs and marmots and train them to squeak loudly at the approach of any Goblins, but I’ve got more important projects right now, like recording Hadriel’s profile into the official logbooks.

------------
Big post soon, hopefully later today. I will add Ghib into the plot as soon as I finish my current record, and I'll be setting up siege weapons for him to use as well, since I currently have none set up  :P

Ghib

• Bay Watcher
  • CATAPULTS
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2008, 09:31:33 am »

Hey, are catapults able to shoot things that are one Z-level below them? Because if so, I have some... interesting ideas for catapult towers. :D

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 30, 2008, 11:19:53 am »

=Events as they occurred, 13th of Hematite, 1061=

-Morning-

The morning sun had just begun to cast warm rays of light on Boatsmoke’s back as he drove the worn copper blade of his axe into an old birch tree. With every heave of his muscled arms the tree shook in anguish. Boatsmoke was nearly alone, one of two woodcutters out this early, and allowed himself to smile since no-one could see him or prove that it happened. This was one of the few places Boatsmoke felt truly happy, chopping away at the trees.

In the distance to the north, several cliffs above him, Boatsmoke heard a distressed howl break the morning silence. He narrowed his eyes and gripped the handle on his axe tighter.

“Medib!” The tone in Boatsmoke’s voice brought the young woodcutter swiftly to full alert.

“Medib! Snarltooth is howlin’ up a storm! Run up there and see what in the nine hells is going on!”

Medib ran as fast as he could to the top of the incline ramp connecting the lower forest level to the upper one. He could tell immediately that something was wrong, as the wardog had ceased to cry for help. Medib carefully peered around the corner to find five filthy goblins crouched over the dead dog, pinned to the earth by black feathered arrows. Medib had little time to count the four axes and one bowgoblin before he was spotted. He darted back toward Zirilzuntīr, bellowing for help.

Below, Boatsmoke realized he was alone, with but an axe to guard him. He knelt down in the grass and waited patiently while four goblins ran past the ramp, following Medib toward the fortress. If everything went as planned, the goblins would find themselves being hammered to death very shortly.

Boatsmoke breathed a sigh of relief. He would return to cutting trees knowing that his kin were well alerted. Just as he stood up to go, a fifth goblin walked into his view and stood at the top of the ramp, unmoving. Boatsmoke watched without breathing as the goblin, fully clad in iron mail with an iron axe gripped in both hands, turned toward him, and began the short walk down the tunnel ramps. Boatsmoke cursed under his breath. With naught but copper axe and cloth clothing, he charged.

-Noon-

Nilumoz braced himself against the Cliffside, as black feathered arrows pelted the rock beside him, he swore loudly and motioned to the three other dwarves each armed with solid copper hammers.
“Alright, When I give the signal, release the wardogs and charge in behind them. Take out the BowGoblin first then focus on the guards. Got it?”

Nilumoz heard the scream of a female dwarf over the commotion of battle, and knew that his time had run out. He waved his arm and shouted “Release the hounds!”

Three wardogs bolted from their chains and ran barking, teeth bared, toward Em the bowgoblin. The wretched creature pulled back a long black arrow, and ordered his guards to hold their grown in face of the terrifying beasts. Usbu prepared for the wave of paws and teeth, as Em held his bow steady, aiming at the edge of the cliff, waiting for the right moment.

Nilumoz stared confused as a half dozen tiny puppies went yipping after their wardog parents, but he had no time to contemplate the loyalty or foolishness of dogs. He gave the second signal to the hammer squad, and leapt from behind the cliff face, turning to charge after the green scum, as a long black arrow lodged itself in the nook between his helmet and his copper chain mail. Nilumoz grasped at the iron shaft with both hands, as he struggled to breathe, but it was no use: his helmet was filling with blood.

The last thing Nilumoz saw as he fell to his knees, through the haze of red, was his squad mates doing as any dwarven warrior should: following orders, charging down the green menace.

Usbu screamed in terror as the wardogs bore down upon him with unwavering ferocity. The first wardog grabbed his axe arm and held it motionless while the second leapt into him, knocking the goblin flat on his back and completely helpless as sharp canine teeth clamped around both sides of his skull and twisted.

Em reeled back, dazed by the speed at which his guard were overwhelmed by simple guard dogs. Both axegoblins were being torn into chunks by the fierce dwarven war animals. Where were the other two axegoblins?! Where were Ngoso and Korgol?! Em fired one last arrow before his bowstring snapped. It would take only a few seconds to string a new one, but Em didn’t have any time left. Before he could look up, Sibrek Rulkol, Hammerlord, brought her copper warhammer up into Em’s chest, sending the creature sprawling onto the stone ground. Sibrek wasted no time in raising her hammer high and bringing it down on Em’s torso, crushing it into the earth.

In no time at all, the goblins were silent.

-Afternoon-

Besmar spit into the grass, where a severed goblin hand lay, still holding an axe, and still being gnawed on by one of the wardogs.

“How many, Nifo?”

“Three, sir… Thob Idigam the tanner was shot through the lungs… he bled to death not fifty yards from the outer walls. The second was Nilumoz, who perished here after flanking the goblins and ordering a counter-charge. The third was Boatsmoke, who was felling trees at the bottom of the cliff with Medib.”

Besmar tugged his gray beard as he looked at Nilumoz’s corpse, and the corpses of dogs and goblins that were strewn around by this simple, worthless piece of land. A place that just happened to serve as a chokepoint in the battle that had just occurred. Besmar’s gaze returned to Nilumoz’s lifeless body. He was a young dwarf. Most of the dwarves here were young… In fact, it occurred to Besmar that very few lived to see old age these days. Nilumoz was one of many dwarves to give their lives for their homes… One of many sons… one of many fathers… Besmar turned away and focused his anger toward Nifo. “Where was Beryl during all this? Where was the mayor?”

Nifo scowled. Until now she had no regrets about voting for Beryl, even when the woman began filing impossible mandates, but now she shared Besmar’s distaste. “She was in the dining hall… trumping up her re-election campaign.”

Besmar shook his head in disbelief. “A real leader would have been out here, fighting and dying alongside her kin." Besmar knelt down next to Nilumoz, as he gathered the energy to speak. "Alright Nifo, I have a mandate for ye. I demand we build two statues! One here in stone of Nilumoz, clad in his armor and hammer raised high like the gods! I want another smelted of solid iron of Boatsmoke, with a big tankard of dwarven beer in one hand and his axe in the other! THERE’S A BLOODY MANDATE FOR YE!”

Besmar punted a severed goblin head a good dozen yards before storming back to his room to plan a funeral for his friends and comrades.

Nifo stood amongst the destruction and wrote down Besmar’s order, handing it off to another dwarf by her side. “Give this instruction to the masons… The Iron statue is to be set up in the forest on the Cliffside below. The stone one should be built here, in this place. ‘Nilumoz’s Fall’. Be quick, lad, for war has come to Zirilzuntīr.”

**Nilumoz’s Fall**

Hadriel

• Bay Watcher
  • M- Medic?
    • View Profile
Re: Zirilzuntîr - FireAnvil - The Forge of war (Community Fo
« Reply #132 on: June 30, 2008, 02:08:18 pm »

Story's great so far, we shall never forget the three dwarves who have fallen by the hands of the damn goblins. (That some profile my DM got there.)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 05:01:39 pm by Hadriel »
Urist McDwarf: 'Ey, Kogan. You're now known as Assbutt in human.
Kogan McDwarf: Damnit!
"Urist McMayor likes copper for its lustre, giant olms, and talking to small pebbles.  He has trouble opening doors.  He needs alcohol to get through breakfast."

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 30, 2008, 06:39:20 pm »

O.O

And so... another of the original seven hath fallen... how will fate treat the remaining 5?

Find out next time on 'Zirilzuntīr'!

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 01, 2008, 03:17:26 am »

Poor Boatsmoke.
I'll remember him... for at least a minute.

Remembering over. Can I have a dwarf?
Grower? Turn off all his hauling jobs and only have him plant seeds.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19