Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19

Author Topic: Zirilzuntīr - FireAnvil - The Forge of war (Community Fo  (Read 18313 times)

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
Re: Zirilzuntīr - FireAnvil - The Forge of war (Community Fo
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2008, 06:03:46 am »

Sure thing! I'll try to take some screenshots of important areas when I get home from work.
DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2008, 03:28:46 pm »

This image is of the main workshop and storage area. Masons and other rock crafts as well as carpentry and brewery are downstairs, closer to the dining room.

This screen shows the main entrence to the fortress, including road and depot. The ramp indicated is a 1 square wide ramp which will be filled with weapon traps. It lets dwarves get out quicker but is protected from goblins and such.

This is the dining hall, including plans for a waterfall misting system. Also here is the origional 7 quarters including Besmar's.
DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 18, 2008, 01:47:16 am »

Cool, thanks for that, looks like it's coming together nicely.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 20, 2008, 06:53:07 am »

New post later today (hopefully). Work has been heavy so although I've got the material, I might not get the time to refine it into bars of +Story Forum Post+

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2008, 07:30:28 am »

~~~Diary of Besmar Melbilamal, Army supply officer, 1060~~~

13th of Obsidian
Amost Ableldural gave birth to a boy today. This makes two babies in the fortress.

14th of Obsidian
Tobul emerged empty handed from the leatherworker’s shop today, as we were unable to supply him with his crazed demand for silk cloth. He refuses to speak to anyone, and weeps openly. I believe the visions have left him. It is enough to many any dwarf melancholy.

18th of Obsidian
Likot Kindakost has given birth to a boy! Three babies now exist in our fortress. We are growing into our own self-sufficient community quite quickly.

~~~Diary of Besmar Melbilamal, Army supply officer, 1061~~~

14th of Granite
The Elves have come again. I can see the look of pompous disgust as they walk over the flattened stumps, where once there were great trees full of squirrels.

Full of delicious squirrels…

=Events as they occurred, 15th of Granite, 1061=
“Snatcher!” Aban Isdenushrir, the miner, screamed and pointed at the goblin lurking in the grass with an old cloth sack slung over its back. “Wake the guards! Hide the children!”

In the distance across the mountain, Cookie lugged the corpse of his latest kill, a Hoary Marmot, toward the butcher’s table. He could hear the screams of alarm, but saw no need to hurry his pace for one single goblin that would either be chased off by the military or killed outright. Cookie kept an even pace with the two wardogs who were always by his side, until he spotted the glint of steel just under the ridge below him.

“A second snatcher?” Thought Cookie, as he squinted to get a better view. It did not take long for him to make out the outlines of multiple goblins approaching his position from the hills below. The Goblins were aware of Cookie as well, and thought to surround him on the mountaintop.

Cookie dropped the fresh kill and took off running. He was armed with only a crossbow and there were half a dozen armed goblin soldiers on his heels. The dogs could not be commanded. The two war beasts covered Cookie’s retreat, and gave their lives against the green menace.

Cookie’s cries echoed across the mountain. “An Ambush! Curse them! Curse the pointed-toothed filth!”  In the distance the mountain sounded back to Cookie, the ringing of a warning bell that signaled to all dwarves that they would only be safe inside.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 07:32:16 am by DoctrZombie »

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2008, 06:38:00 am »

Sorry for the slim updates lately. I do have 1 more story to post before I run back to the game to generate some new content, however this week is very busy as I am planning to close on a house on friday.

I won't be letting this fort die out so don't worry about that  ;D , but updates may be slim for a week or two while I relocate.
(Plus, work has been very busy too  :( )

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2008, 09:08:55 am »

=Events as they occurred, 16th of Granite, 1061=

Tun Enkosstinthad could see that he would not outrun this goblin swordsman. Even though he was carrying less armor, his foe was better prepared for a long chase, and Tun was heading in the wrong direction, away from Zirilzuntīr. A dwarf alone in the wilderness with goblins on his trail would be as good as dead, but Tun was not headed for the wilderness. Tun plunged into the brook, wading across swiftly, with the water rising up just above his knees. The rainy season was almost over, and Tun didn’t figure a creature as wretchedly filthy as the one chasing him would dare cross the water.

Tun underestimated the swordsgoblin who followed. The sight of fresh running water only stalled the beast for a moment, before it came after him. Tun was soon aware that he had no choice but to stand and fight, with the real military still a half mile away. The dwarf whispered a quiet prayer to the gods, and tucked the pick into the holster on his back, plunging into the brook water to meet the goblin on even ground.

Taken back by this sudden stroke of bravery, the goblin made the fatal mistake of swinging low with his sword, through the swirling waters of the brook. The sudden pressure of the running water pushed the stab too far to the left of Tun’s midsection, and before he could recover, the dwarf had both stubby fists wrapped around the goblin’s throat. With a heave, Tun threw the goblin’s head underwater and held it there, keeping the struggling creature from getting a breath of air.

Off balance and surprised by the attack, the iron sword dropped free of the goblin’s grasp. He managed to squirm and push away from Tun’s death grip just long enough to swim to the brook’s bank. By now, the hunter had become the hunted. Tun charged up the bank of the brook and chased the goblin a few meters across open rocky plateau. The green swordsgoblin had almost tasted freedom, when his mouth swelled up with copper water. Glancing down he could see the pointed tip of a pick that until this moment had only hewn rock was coming out of the foul creature’s chest. Tun let go of the pick, and the goblin collapsed to the earth, and there died.

It took several minutes for Tun to recover and appreciate what he had done. Without knowing so, he had become the first dwarf to slay a member of the green swarm at Zirilzuntīr. With pride, Tun jerked the handle of his pick free from the back of his kill, and heaved it into the air, roaring his victory to the mountain, and to his kin.

Six goblins, five with swords and one who lead them to the charge with a huge mallet, stared dumbfounded as a dwarf with a wild boar’s gaze and a copper mace came barreling down a smooth ramp, screaming as though he were possessed. Ngebzo, the goblin hammerwielder, was the first to feel the fury behind the dwarf’s charge.

Krash laughed with wide eyes as he heard the puny goblin’s ribs crackle against his huge copper mace, sending the weak creature flying into the air and tumbling to the dirt with agitated groans. “ARGHH!!! HA HA! Yer no goblins! I’m more fearsome than you are, puny filth!”

A swordsgoblin moved to flank Krash from the side, but he bashed the creature in the chin with his shield. Dazed, the goblin stumbled backward, but ceased to move when Krash brought the crushing spiked metal ball down in one smooth motion, causing the head to collapse down into the neck, splashing goblin blood across the bare stone mountaintop. The goblin corpse continued to stumble for a second, before collapsing lifeless at Krash’s feet.

Ngebzo barely drug himself off the stone, bleeding from the chest where some of his ribs poked through. He screamed in terror, a sound that drove the rest of his squad fleeing for the hills. Ngebzo was told this tiny dwarven fort was to be easy pickings. Ngebzo was told wrong.

Krash chased the entire squad for a quarter mile before giving up and returning home. Goblins that cowardly were not worth losing his breath for.

Atop the ramp, overseeing the battle, Besmar smiled, and nodded to the marksdwarves to lower their crossbows. Zirilzuntīr had nothing to fear with dwarves that ferocious at its gates.

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2008, 10:36:54 pm »

Kickass, I love the fact that the first blooded dwarf in the fortress was a miner. Thats awesome. Krash really kicked em around too, nice!
GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zirilzuntîr - FireAnvil - The Forge of war (Community Fo
« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2008, 04:45:47 pm »

I request a dwarf
name him Bob and only give him heath care (he'll be the fortress's medic)
But also train him with the sword so he can be a field medic... hehehe
also I would like it if his short sword would be made out of Obsidian
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 04:50:48 pm by DF newb »
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 25, 2008, 02:31:52 pm »

Sure thing. I'll play DF tonight and I'll be sure to add your dwarf to the roster and take a personality screenshot.

Drakolus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 25, 2008, 03:31:36 pm »

I like your style and I see this fortress is developing nicely.  I'd like to request a dwarf.

Either the Butcher or a Wrestler
Name: Drakolus or Drakona (gender based, either is good)
The only thing I hope for is that he or she is psychotically violent and typically covered in blood.
I like to mine it mine it

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2008, 04:50:11 pm »

I've added both new dwarves and taken profile pics. I'll upload them and their stories sometime later this week. With any luck it'll be tomorrow, but it will not be later than friday.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 26, 2008, 02:15:17 pm »

~~~Diary of Besmar Melbilamal, Army supply officer, 1061~~~

-4th of Slate
I have an interesting tale for the record-books today. I have recently become acquainted with a younger dwarf that has spent a large portion of his life on mission in human lands. The humans have taken to calling him “Bob” instead of his Dwarven surname, which he has somehow long forgotten. Bob spent his time in human lands serving as a field medic for a squad of human swordsmen fighting in skirmishes against Neogi marauders. He has requested a similar position caring for the sick and desired an obsidian sword. Since we have plenty of those around, I accepted his request.

-7th of Slate
Tobul, the dwarf leatherworker who went insane, died of thirst today. We sealed her up in a tomb below the living quarters. Her death serves as a lesson for all dwarves: Don’t make your artifacts with silk.

-12th of Slate
I traded all of our rock crafts that were not adorned with fine bone or shell for cloth and wood from elves who seemed to care little about the attack earlier this month. The prissy fiends even scolded our soldiers for their violence! I loathe these forest folk…

-25th of Slate
Strange and ominous tidings… during lunch, many of us were gathered around the headtable, including Jonathan the miner, when suddenly a bright red light appeared from nowhere and bobbed about the room hypnotically. We were all flabbergasted and stared helpless until Jonathan leapt up from his chair and screamed at the light “GET OUT YE DEMONS!”. Undaunted by the verbal threat, the red glow flew into Jonathan’s mouth and he has since claimed a mason’s workshop! Those brave enough to go near him have said that his eyes are alight like fire, and that he gathers marble rocks there…

We were so taken aback by this that we hardly noticed when an influx of migrants reached our boarders. I was ready to greet them with open arms, but as they grew closer I could tell that these were no ordinary immigrants…

I spoke with their guide, a Dungeon Master who managed to bring these noble dwarves to safety here, their stories are…grim…

Apparently, they are all refugees from a dwarven hamlet to the southeast. The goblins attacked and burned their village to the ground. They would have made for the safety of the mountainhomes, but there are dangers worse than goblins between the two, so they made their way here. Most are little more than simple peasant folk. The Dungeon Master might be of great use to us. I ordered four of the peasants to report for fortress guard duty, and the rest to carve out a niche for themselves here in Zirilzuntīr, doing whatever odd jobs they might find.

I have recorded their numbers and professions here:

1 dungeon master
1 craftsdwarf
1 woodworker
1 donkey foal
1 mule
1 herbalist
1 child
1 clothier
7 peasants
1 fishery worker
1 metalsmith
1 leatherworker
1 weaver
1 gemcutter
1 dyer
1 engineer
1 hunter
1 horse foal
1 puppy
1 pump operator
1 carpenter
1 miner

24 new mouths to feed… Most of them save the Dungeon Master seemed normal enough, but the butcher struck me as being... odd. She seemed a little too eager to get down to breaking bones and carving meat... I would like to put that kind of ferocity up against the goblins, and I doubt Drakona would object, but she insisted immediately upon being assigned to the butchery, and we can always use a hand there.

Fruit Pie Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Not that guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2008, 03:23:09 pm »

Heh, you've got a field medic who does not go out of his way to help others?  I can just see him running around the battlefield dropping stacks of paper on gravely wounded soldiers and demanding that they fill out their insurance forms in triplicate before they'll get so much as a drink of water.
Today is a good day for pie.

Hadriel

• Bay Watcher
  • M- Medic?
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2008, 06:56:15 pm »

Can I also  request a dwarf? I want to be the dungeon master, if not then some other random male dwarf:

Name: Hadriel
Profession:Hammerdwarf

Urist McDwarf: 'Ey, Kogan. You're now known as Assbutt in human.
Kogan McDwarf: Damnit!
"Urist McMayor likes copper for its lustre, giant olms, and talking to small pebbles.  He has trouble opening doors.  He needs alcohol to get through breakfast."
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19