Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20

Author Topic: Shinfusur Ilir Toral (a bloody deathrow fortress)Kills:37  (Read 18289 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Shinfusur Ilir Toral (a bloody deathrow fortress)Kills:1
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2008, 07:15:00 pm »

I'd try writing some extra fiction, but with no prisoners, no threats, and nothing to do but dig and build there's not much to talk about.  I'll try to cook up some narrative.  How about my clapper pit, by the way?  Throw it in whenever you feel like, but how viable do you think it is?

What's that big stair case for, a dropping tower?  Good idea.

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2008, 07:24:00 pm »

Your clapper pit is among the first few execution chambers I will build. For prisoners wearing only cheap clothing.
And yes, it will indeed be the dropping tower mentioned in my original post, designed to have bodyparts fly over the edge of the pit below to please the Elven traders.

Hehe.. I just thought up a device that forces convicts to choose between their own lives and that of their friends. Hehehe.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2008, 07:38:00 pm »

Could I join?
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2008, 07:54:00 pm »

O yes you can. Do take your time to read the first post, please. You will then take Ghostpaw's place. Do you mind going with the name 'Arkaim' for continuity's sake? Background story would be much appreciated.

Maybe I should emphasis that anybody may request a new immigrant at any time. Requests for guards will have to wait their turn, for only one arrives per wave.
I'd be very happy if people signed up for convict dwarves as well. It could make for some interesting diary entries. Make us shed tears when you are scheduled for execution! You might even live...

[ June 09, 2008: Message edited by: martinuzz ]

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2008, 08:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by martinuzz:
<STRONG>Your clapper pit is among the first few execution chambers I will build. For prisoners wearing only cheap clothing.
And yes, it will indeed be the dropping tower mentioned in my original post, designed to have bodyparts fly over the edge of the pit below to please the Elven traders.

Hehe.. I just thought up a device that forces convicts to choose between their own lives and that of their friends. Hehehe.</STRONG>

Can't wait to see your Prisoner's Dilema room.  And of course, you'll be droping prisoners as the Elves are in the depot I'm sure.

On the idea of death and friendship, I had this-

From the Olivine Table of Aqizzar Rimtarlaz, Executioner

Construct Theorem #8
"Survivor's Guilt"
Stress Evaluation Chamber

code:

XXXXXXXXXXX
X   X.....X
X 1 X_..2.X
X  3╠╣....X
X   X_ò4..X
X   X.....X
XXXXXXXXXXX

1 Food Storage - will be necessary to keep internees alive long enough, possibly refiled with 'garbage chute' method
2 The Chamber - floor covered in upright spike traps
3 Food Access - 2x1 drawbridge over 1x3 channel, controlled from outside chamber; a door could be knocked down by a tantrum; channel should be 3-4 z-levels deep
4 The Lever - operates spike traps; must be next to channel

Internees are dropped in, deactivated, and allowed to mingle for a season or two.  They should become good friends; grudges are also acceptible for evaluation.  When the time comes, they will be ordered into the spike room, the Food Bridge is raised, and one dwarf Pulls The Lever.  Since a trap can't be where the lever is, he'll be spared, while he watches all his worldly friends get skewered.  Hopefully, he go into a sorrowful rage and throw himself in the pit; if he doesn't soon, the miasma should make it happen eventually.  Ideally the pit will be deep enough to break bones but not enough to be deadly, and filled with 2/7 water, so the mangled lump has to wait for starvation.

May require an external lever to retract the spikes.  Feel free to leave the bodies in there.  Obviously this will require a lot of fuel, and good weaponable metal, to make all the spikes.  May require some experimentation to determine the necessary number of spikes, especially to compensate for toughness boosts for conversation skill gain.

Addenum
If the dwarf slays his friends, and the trauma, miasma, and lack of amenities don't make him suicidal, recruit him into the Prison Guard.  He's our kind of scum.

[ June 09, 2008: Message edited by: Aqizzar ]

[ June 09, 2008: Message edited by: Aqizzar ]

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2008, 08:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by martinuzz:
<STRONG>O yes you can. Do take your time to read the first post, please. You will then take Ghostpaw's place. Do you mind going with the name 'Arkaim' for continuity's sake? Background story would be much appreciated.

Maybe I should emphasis that anybody may request a new immigrant at any time. Requests for guards will have to wait their turn, for only one arrives per wave.
I'd be very happy if people signed up for convict dwarves as well. It could make for some interesting diary entries. Make us shed tears when you are scheduled for execution! You might even live...

[ June 09, 2008: Message edited by: martinuzz ]</STRONG>

Sure, am I a convict or prison guard?

I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2008, 09:30:00 pm »

‘Aqizzar.. I’m troubled’. The small room they had just dug out seperated them from the other dwarves enough to let him say what had been on his heart for a while.
‘What’s that, Judge?’ Orblock was used to being called ‘Judge’, as in ‘a position of authority’. When Aqizzar called him that though, she had a way of making him feel small. The two had spent long hours together tunneling out chamber after chamber and had become more than friends. Still, he had been hesitant to tell even her. But he knew he should.

‘I.. I have to tell you something. Something I should have told you, and the other dwarves, as soon as I was informed.’
‘Informed of what, dear?’ Aqizzar replied absently, her attention drawn to the beautiful formation of crystal opals they had just discovered.
'Listen!’
Aqizzar turned around, startled. Orblock never said ‘Listen’ to her.
‘Don’t do that!’
‘I’m so sorry. But with what I am going to to tell you now, it is perhaps better that I shocked you in advance.’
Orblock went silent for a moment. Aqizzar stood flabberghasted. The dwarf she had come to love seemed to transform before her eyes. He no longer stood a proud, tall dwarf, commanding authority. At this moment, the Judge stood there like a pitiful convict, guilty and miserable.

‘I must sin. We must sin…
..by order of the King, they must all die.’

-@Ronin: you're a prison guard named Arkaim. Please read the story from the beginning, it isn't that much..

[ June 09, 2008: Message edited by: martinuzz ]

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2008, 02:59:00 am »

Yami looked unhappily at the workshop.  Bonecrafting, again.  Not the worst of jobs, and it beat hauling pants down, but there was something unsettling about working with the remains of the undead.  Not to mention the tedium of the job; he wouldn't even be able to make horn crafts with these materials.

Still, it had been how he'd gotten started in the past, before his apprenticeship.  It would have to do until the forges were started.  If they ever got around to building any.

With a sigh the dwarf puts down his latest piece and goes searching for the Judge.  He'd joined this expedition partly to get away from the fighting and the turmoil, and partly to become an armourer in his own right.  Sure he'd gotten to work with silver in the smelters back home, but he'd never gotten to make anything of them, nor keep any of his crafts.  Lately it had just been 'More Steel Helm's for our boys,' with out even getting to forge a decent shirt of chain.  It had been a good life, but the chance to get in on the start of a new outpost had been too much to pass up.

Of course, that was when he figured on good old dwarven greed striking the expedition leader.  This one seemed satisfied with sticking to the king's plans.

Ugh.

"Ah, Judge sir!"  Yami called, running up to thier leader.  "I was thinking, what with all these undead about, don't you think we should be prepared for the worst, just in case?"

Letting the thought linger for a while, the steelbender waits until the judje is about to speak before interrupting.  "I know the dog's doing a great job and all, but, you know, just in case.  I was thinking a few tombs in the heart of the earth might make the boys feel better, work harder.  Secure in the knowledge that even if the worst should come to pass we'll be properly remembered for our part in the king's great designs."

"It wouldn't take much extra work either, we've already got the start of a shaft into the earth's belly, just a dig a bit further down and we could have proper resting places."

And of course, there'd be a better chance of striking a vein of decent ore as well.

Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2008, 06:06:00 am »

'Ah, yes.. Tombs.. Ofcourse.', Orblock said, more to himself than to Yami. 'They will have to be buried somehow..' Realizing that he had possibly said too much, he quickly continued: 'We need barrels, Yami. With your taste for beer, we're bound to run out of booze soon. Go and make us a few dozens of them, would you?'
'What do you mean, they, Judge?'
'Did I say -they- , now? Well. I shouldn't tell you this, but I have been informed by the Liaison that more powerful undead, elves, trolls, goblins and various other hideous abominations have been reported to roam these shrublands. Surely you know that the only way to prevent them from rising again and again is to bury them in a proper tomb? But keep this to yourself, do you understand? No need for worrying when there is no zombie elf yet to be seen, right?'
'More powerful undead, Judge? Now I'd really like to have a tomb.' Orblock felt relieved. Yami was obviously content with his explanation.

[ June 10, 2008: Message edited by: martinuzz ]

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2008, 06:37:00 am »

Shinfusur Ilir Toral proudly presents:
The Elf Pleaserrr! Now open for public executions!
Featuring a dazzling 15-floor free fall, and a truly smashing experience!

The Elf Pleaser (z+0)

The Elf Pleaser  (z+14)

Martinuzz proudly presents: His Inexperience With Using Paint.
Okay, so I got rid of the black spaces. Now how do I get rid of the white background?

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2008, 07:57:00 am »

Resize the image using the Attributes thingy in the Image menu - or do what I do, i.e. start off with a new image, 1 pixel by 1 pixel, alt-printscreen on DF (or whatever), then paste into Paint and the image will resize to fit what you just pasted.

Can I request a convict? Someone particularly worthy of death... how about a Soap Maker?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2008, 08:21:00 am »

Thanks.

YOUR DEATH IS IMMINENT!

(And no, I'm not being Moinish)

Welcome to hell, expect the first wave of convicts soon.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2008, 09:03:00 am »

'That is unbelievable!', she had replied. 'Why would dwarves kill off their own?'
Orblock had thought the matter over and over. He was aware that exterminating all rebels would quell the resistance firmly and effectively. But still. If the King had sent his armies against the Elves, surely the uprisings would have had no more cause and thus would cease as well?
He was doubting the Kings decision in this matter.
But ofcourse, that was a dangerous thing to say..

'Their minds have been infested by Elven magic. The most prominent dwarven philosophers now agree that they are therefore no longer considered to be dwarven. The King cannot tolerate such abomination to spread.
Apart from that, no dwarf, even a former dwarf, should suffer to live in such mental enslavement. By offering them a quick death we will save the Kingdom of this Plague and allow their poor souls to rest with the same act.'
'But...', Aqizzar began. She then became silent. Minutes past without her saying anything more.
Orblock sensed her difficulty and let her undisturbed.

'Why didn't you tell us?' Her eyes were wide with anger.
'What do you think would have happened?'
'We probably would have refused to build the camp.'
'Hmm. Yes. That would probably have happened. Do you know what the consequence would have been?' Orblock was subconciously lecturing Aqizzar. He was regaining his posture and spoke with an authority that she hadn't heard before from him.
At this moment the only relationship between them was that of Judge and Defendant.
'There would have been no executions here!', she replied, fighting tears.
'No, dear. The King would have sent another expedition. And do you know what would have happened to us?'
'...' She knew.
'Our presence here would be very convenient. We would be used as guinea pigs.'

Aqizzar sat down and cried. When she had calmed down a little later, she suddenly stood op and said, with a hoarse yet strong voice:
'Then I would like to be the Executioner.'
Now Orblock turned around, startled. 'You.. what?'
'You heard what I said. If this is to be, I will assure those poor souls are killed properly.'
With these final words, Aqizzar left Orblock to his own thoughts.

[ June 10, 2008: Message edited by: martinuzz ]

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2008, 09:29:00 am »

Can I get in on this? Name one of the male prisoners Petyr. I'd prefer a mechanic, but I really wouldn't mind some other profession.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
DORFAMUNDA - NECROMUNDA DF MOD

Zuntir Olan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2008, 01:04:00 pm »

Good story, I've wanted to get in on one for a while. I'd like a dwarf convict called Zuglar, either gender, preferably starting with a useless or already taken job he cannot have. If possible, I'd like Zuglar to like something the fortress has in abundance, that the warden "unknowingly" denies him (IE, if he likes granite, give him walls of microcline). If no such dwarves come next wave, just pick one at random. I'd like to try my writing skills, and what better way then with diary entries of an upset dwarf?   :)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20