Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20

Author Topic: Shinfusur Ilir Toral (a bloody deathrow fortress)Kills:37  (Read 18283 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Shinfusur Ilir Toral (a bloody deathrow fortress)Kills:1
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2008, 12:33:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Ghostpaw:
<STRONG>There is a symbol of the civilization and there is a symbol of the outpost.  I'd like to know both but mostly the symbol of the civilization.</STRONG>

Unfortunately there's no way to find that out without engraving a bunch of walls, hoping the symbols turn up, then save-scumming and searching the fort as an adventurer.

martinuzz- I like the architecture.  What's this Square of Welcoming about?

And if you're taking deathmachine ideas just tell me when you're ready.

Here's the first

code:

XXXXXX          XXXXXX
X    XXXXXXXXXXXX    X
X 1  ╔╗00╔╗00╔╗00  2 X
X    ╚╝  ╚╝3 ╚╝      X
X    XXXXXXXXXXXX    X
XXXXXX          XXXXXX
         ò4

1,2 Staging Areas - make active squad of prisoners patrol between these
3 The Hands of Justice - bridges meticulously built to lower/retract in alternation
4  The Lever - Executioner goes here, Pull/R
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2008, 04:36:00 am »

Basically it is what it says. New immigrants will arrive here and move to the right, to the prison camp.
Furthermore it serves as an airlock between the fortress and the camp.
Hehe. If I make sure to raise the drawbridge to the fortress, sieges will come in through the prison camp. No need for sending them out into battle, the battle will come to them.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2008, 05:27:00 am »

When do you think a save will be ready?
t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2008, 06:07:00 am »

I'll just try now how long it takes to upload a save to the DF File Depot.
If it takes hours, I'd rather make a duplicate DF map and abandon when I have made some engravings that could be symbols.
I'll let you know soon.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2008, 06:52:00 am »

Uhmm.. I've uploaded a save to the dwarf fortress file depot.
It took 20 minutes to upload 6.6Mb.
But somehow it isn't there.
After the upload was complete, I wanted to add it to the community games folder with the 'Submit File Listing' button. It went to a blank page, with my PC saying 'ready' in the taskbar.
When went to the community games page, the save wasn't there.
I filled in all fields marked as 'required' correctly. (being title, file category and DF version.
Any ideas?

Ah.. I think I just found out. I tried to contact DFFD administration, but I couldn't post. I could post when I briefly turned off my firewall.  :eek:
-SIGH- Here we go again, wasting another 20 minutes. I hope I am right, and this one works.

[ June 09, 2008: Message edited by: martinuzz ]

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2008, 07:32:00 am »

SAVE AVAILABLE AT: dffd.wimbli.com

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2008, 08:07:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by martinuzz:
<STRONG>SAVE AVAILABLE AT: dffd.wimbli.com</STRONG>

Thanks.  Didn't mean to give you so much trouble.

t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2008, 08:08:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Ghostpaw:
<STRONG>

Thanks.  Didn't mean to give you so much trouble.</STRONG>

Nah. Never tried, never learned. So thank you.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2008, 08:13:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by martinuzz:
<STRONG>

Nah. Never tried, never learned. So thank you.</STRONG>

No, thank you.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2008, 08:51:00 am »

martinuzz, I've been compelled to ban Ghostpaw over an unrelated matter.  I'm sorry for any disruption that causes to your thread.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2008, 09:38:00 am »

@ghostpaw: Sorry. Your place is open for the taking.
Personally I have not had any complaints about you.
But if Toady One has felt compelled to ban you, that must have had valid reasons.

[ June 13, 2008: Message edited by: martinuzz ]

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2008, 09:41:00 am »

Autumn would be coming soon. Orblock suspected, with standard procedure being a caravan visiting newly founded outposts from the Mountainhomes, that his expedition would form no exception. At least he hoped so.

‘Yami!’ They had installed some beds in a corridor to use as long as their quarters were not finished yet. Yami slowly rose from his bed, not fully awake.
‘Yes Judge? What is it?’ he replied with a tongue thick of sleepiness.
‘Sure is a good thing to have a real bed after all those months, isn’t it?’, Orblock asked, giving the dwarf some time to adjust.
‘Sure is. Haven’t slept like this in a long time.’
‘Listen. I expect a dwarven caravan to arrive in Autumn. Since we have plenty of turtle shells, I would ask you to make some crafts to trade. Before you do that though, there are some farmers’ workshops that need construction.’
‘Well, allright. But.. Judge.? I also still have a lot of work to do with the construction of the defences, as you asked of us.’
Yami obviously wasn’t too fond of the idea of getting extra work. Besides that, he was right. The walls weren’t finished yet.

Construction was progressing on schedule though. The first two barracks were complete, and a safety bridge needed only to be linked to a lever to be able to seal  the camp off from the outside world.

The Judge had also ordered a large pit to be dug next to the newly built trade depot.
‘It is for above-ground farming purposes’, he explained. This way, you can safely farm those outside plants from within the fortress.
This was not what he really intended to use the pit for, though.
It would be the first execution site.

‘They’re here!’
It was Afer.
‘What, already? The King said I shouldn’t expect any prisoners within the year!’ Orblock was surprised. Had the Northern Outposts been conquered so fast? Surely the Outposts’ traps taken over by the rebels should have held back the Royal Armies for months, even with the dragon's attack.
‘No. Undead! More groundhogs!’

Orblock felt stupid. Had he been more observant of the dwarf’s intent, as he had been trained to do, he could have seen the difference between surprise and fear.
‘You see? I told you that building walls is important’, Yami said, seeing a way to avoid longer work hours.
At that moment, Afer’s dog came sprinting down the hallway, it’s tail wagging, obviously expecting a reward.
‘Good  dog!’, said Afer. ‘No, don’t eat that!’ The dog was trying to eat some disgusting substance that looked liked it could once have been a groundhog’s tail.

Orblock had always been very afraid of the undead. As a child, he had seen them devour his mother, before he had been rescued by his mentor.
He had in fact been terrified by the first zombie attacks, although he hadn’t shown it much. Now his pride was overcoming his fear, with the latest single-pawed victory reassuring him.
‘Who needs walls when we have Legendary Monster Dogs’, said Orblock, turning to Yami. ‘You are our only experienced bone carver. You are an able dwarf and surely with your posture you don’t mind to build some walls as well to keep in shape. Now go,  before the undead return.’

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2008, 05:00:00 pm »

The caravan arrived indeed. Orblock had asked Grimwold to work on some rock crafts as well, and two temporary craftdwarf's workshops had beeh constructed next to the trade depot. With a handful of crafts, Orblock had managed to bargain for some booze and meat to get them through the winter.
The traders having just left, Orblock was in a meeting with the Outpost's Liaison discussing imports. Suddenly they were interrupted by high pitched screeches that hurt his ears.
'Judge! More undead! It's five of them, sir, zombie rhesus maquaques!'. Frodo came running by, his face red. 'They have many sharp teeth, sir, I will just go inside now.'
As Orblock turned to face the new menace, the Legendary Monster Dog ran past him and charged the group of undead monkeys, who were heading for the trade depot. Orblock doubted the undead came to steal though.
Afer came running. 'THEY WILL NOT KILL MY DOG!', she barked, and ran into the battle. Before she could deliver a single blow with her axe though, the dog was sitting among 5 corpses, licking a few minor cuts on his legs. It didn't even yelp.
'I'll be damned! That dog will have it's own tomb!' Orblock still couldn't believe how weak those undead beast were contrary to his horrible childhood memories. This dog had killed ten undead al on its own.
'If that is so', Orblock thought, 'surely I should not fear them! The next undead that dares to come into my area of jurisdiction will be mine!'

-10 kills and still no name. Maybe only sentient creatures count for naming. That dog is MEAN anyways. The Judge has his own war dog, but Afer's dog just rushed past it and slaughtered the 5 zombie monkies. Don't worry, everybody will have their own war dog. Unless you object ofcourse.

-With Ghostpaw banned, we've got one active open spot. Also expect immigrants soon.

-Team, where are you? I'd welcome some feedback, since this is my first community game, except for some contributions to Valcon's pirate story.

-coming up: who is the mystery couple?

[ June 13, 2008: Message edited by: martinuzz ]

Lord_Frodo

• Bay Watcher
  • The crazy in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2008, 05:26:00 pm »

non-sentient creatures can gain a name. they have to kill something that has a name to get one though.
I like how this has been going. could you upload the map?
Even the cutest things can be endearing when on fire. ~ Cajoes
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2008, 05:33:00 pm »

I'll try.. (famous last words).
Suppose I first have to get the map compressor.

EDIT: One map, ready to be viewed at the Archives, sir!
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-2880-shinfusurilirtoral

[ June 09, 2008: Message edited by: martinuzz ]

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20