Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20

Author Topic: Shinfusur Ilir Toral (a bloody deathrow fortress)Kills:37  (Read 18287 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Shinfusur Ilir Toral (a bloody deathrow fortress)Kills:1
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2008, 01:11:00 pm »

I'll be working towards the situation were the only contact with the outside world will be the hand that throws the food.
As a rule of thumb, also, I will select the dwarf with the least friends from every immigration wave to become a guard.
Don't worry too much, though. Most convicts will not live long enough to make friends.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2008, 01:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by martinuzz:
<STRONG>I'll be working towards the situation were the only contact with the outside world will be the hand that throws the food.
As a rule of thumb, also, I will select the dwarf with the least friends from every immigration wave to become a guard.
Don't worry too much, though. Most convicts will not live long enough to make friends.</STRONG>

Not even with each other?  Also what is your policy with tombs?  And do you plan on using prisoners as cannon fodder when sieges arrive?

[ June 08, 2008: Message edited by: Ghostpaw ]

t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2008, 02:27:00 pm »

That death chamber I'm building is going to take longer than I thought.
t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2008, 02:47:00 pm »

My guy has a pretty awesome last name.  I've got a good idea for a background story now.  Anyways what is my guys squad name?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2008, 02:56:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Ghostpaw:
<STRONG>

Not even with each other?  Also what is your policy with tombs?  And do you plan on using prisoners as cannon fodder when sieges arrive?</STRONG>

1) Yeah they will have contact with each other
2) mass cemetaries
3) see the rules

Your squad's name is 'Shovethathel', 'The Mysterious Rings'

EDIT: Oh and please do edit your post instead of multiposting

[ June 08, 2008: Message edited by: martinuzz ]

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2008, 03:08:00 pm »

Early spring, 1051

Orblock stepped out of the carriage he had spent most of the past two days in. Stretching his sore legs, he looked to the south, from where he had just come. The weather was very clear and he could see smoke and fire on the horizon.
There were rumours that the King had ordered his Royal Dungeon Master to release her pet dragon upon the rebel cities.
The smoke and fires he saw made him suspect those rumours were true.
He turned around and faced the location for his new endeavour. Although the temperature was quite warm for the time of year, something in the area made him cold to the bones. It was as though the ground whereupon he treaded radiated a cold feeling of death. He shrugged. Undead country. He had known, for he had been raised in a borderpost near the Northern Outposts. He had lived there as a child, until it was overrun by goblins and undead. Thinking of the task he was sent to do, he couldn't help but feel that it was very appropriate to set up the camp here. The ground would be saturated with death when this was through.

The location had been picked well. There were enough trees and a brook would supply them with all the water and power they would need.
Unforunatly, Orblock knew there was no magma to be found. The King had ordered all magma to be used for military production purposes only.
But then, with all those trees, it wouldn't be too much of a problem to equip his outpost with fine homemade armor.

'Sir!'
Orblock turned and faced the group of six dwarves that had been assigned to him. They had arrived before him, and had gathered around the wagon.
'Arkaim Kûbukerar, at your command, sir! So we're to build a prison camp here, er?'
Orblock looked at the dwarf who had stepped forward. He had always disliked it if others called him 'sir'.
'call me Judge. I am not a soldier. I uphold Law and Order with reason, where the military only enforces it with violence.'
The dwarf called Arkaim seemed taken aback a bit by his lecture. Orblock, sensing the other's unease, quickly continued:
'Yes indeed. The King has ordered us here to make accomodations for those captured by the Royal Armies in their justful campaing to restore Law and Order to the Northern Outposts.'
Orblock was hesitant to tell the six dwarves of the King's exact orders. The letter had born the mark 'Highly Classified'. He doubted if the six dwarves in front of him, who were obviously not part of the Inner Circle, had
been fully informed. For now, he would just leave them to their own beliefs. They would find out soon enough, but right now it was important to avoid any possibility of demotivation. They would have to work fast to finish their own accomodations before the first prisoners arrived.
'Listen up!'. Whenever the Judge raised his voice, people listened. It had helped him when he was a mere apprentice in the Acadamy of Law and Order to stand out among his fellow students. It had helped him to raise to power quickly in the ranks of jurisdiction. It had also made him enemies. He knew that he had been selected for this mission not only because of his integrity. The King clung to his own power and had a way of 'promoting' those he saw as a possible threat to his power to lead dangerous or impopular missions. Not that Orblock would ever raise a hand against his King. But he knew his transfer had political reasons as well.

'As for now, we do not have the time for formal introductions. What are we doing here, above ground? Do we want to be caught unprepared by the undead?'
'Undead, sir? Judge, sir?'
'Yes, Frodo, undead! I just saw some across that field!'
'Was I asking you? I was asking the Judge, Grimwold', said the dwarf apparantly called Frodo.
'While our main goal here is to establish a prison camp, the King has requested of me personally to make this outpost stand as a safepoint amid those sinister lands'. Orblock knew that he couldn't tell them the truth. He had read the name in the Kings letter over and over again. The Malodorous Hill. It just could not be a coïncidence. The same hill the goblins had come from years ago, destroying his birthtown and killing his parents, leaving him an orphan at the young age of 11. The Gods had offered him an opportunity to exact revenge!

'Did you see how many undead, Grimwold, it is?'
'Yessir! Three! Three groundhogs.'
The dwarf named Grimwold seemed excited at the sighting.
'Just don't be foolish now. Unlife is dangerous regardless of size. We should get underground as soon as possible.'
The Judge turned and pointed at another dwarf.
'Do you see those trees? Start cutting unless you like sleeping on mud.'
The dwarf grabbed an axe. 'It's Afer, Judge.'
Pleased at the first dwarf having understood his diliking of 'sir', he replied:
'Alright, Afer. Excuse me for barking orders, but I have had a long travel and I need to stretch my bones.
I know how to handle a pick so I will carve ahead. You, I see you're familiar with digging too. What's your name?'
'Aqizzar, Judge. If you allow me, I am a graduate of the Build Guild. I have promoted on planned excavation.'
The dwarf grabbed a piece of paper from her pocket and quickly sketched the surroundings. She then drew another piece of paper, which seemed old and was stained with undeterminable substances. Then she put the two papers over each other and held them to the light.
'Look, Judge. If we excavate this structure underneath, we will be clear of water-leakages. And trust me on the large corridors, they will prove invaluable.'
Orblock was silent for a moment. He wasn't used to people taking initiative away from him like that.
'I will give you the chance to prove your point.', Orblock said. Let's go!

[ June 13, 2008: Message edited by: martinuzz ]

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2008, 03:28:00 pm »

So I'm a chick huh?  And real cold customer too.  I like it.  I'll try to have some kind of short backstory written, but it won't be til tomorrow at the earliest.  Feel free to get started whenever you want to, I'll drop it if it doesn't look like it'll fit.  [EDIT]Well, there we go then.

And I love the way you worked programmed dwarven insanity into the intro.

I've got about three different deathmachines cooked up, aside from the usual starvation chambers and animal pits.  Gonna need more.

[ June 08, 2008: Message edited by: Aqizzar ]

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2008, 03:57:00 pm »

Thinking of backstory... Trying to finish death chamber designs.  Must persist despite continuous racoon harrasment.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2008, 04:03:00 pm »

Good luck with the raccoons. I'm trying to persist with 9 4-week old kittens bouncing around the room. And a dog who's afraid of them.

For your information:

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2008, 05:40:00 pm »

Funny.  The executioner's squad is named "The Ropes of Safety".  I wonder why.  Hehe.  "The Laborious Roughnesses"  I'm going to try to work in "The Mysterious Rings" into my background somehow.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2008, 05:46:00 pm »

I need two things to complete the background story to my dwarf.  What is the translated name of our dwarven civilization and the save to the world.  I need to check something in the legends.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2008, 07:35:00 pm »

7th Granite, 1051

As the Judge and Aqizzar were digging, Aqizzar explained the basics of her concept to him. She told him, that she planned on large, square rooms connected to each other by broad hallways and staircases. She explained that the industry would be located on the first three levels, surrounded by a broad ringway. Input and output would be placed above and below each other, to reduce travel time for the workers.
Raw production, milling and fish/meat/plant processing would occur at the first level below ground.
Carpenters, masons, mechanics, tanners and dyers go on the second floor
Craftsdwarves, clothiers and leatherworkers would be on the third floor as well as smiths, glassmakers and jewelers.
On the floor below, she explained, there would be a grand dining room, a barracks and an archery range within the borders of the ringway.
Housing would then be situated around the ringway, so that a dwarf can sleep without any interruptions.

Orblock was impressed. He hadn't quite given as much thought to economics as he had to the mission. Aqizzar's designs sounded very sensible. Something was missing though..
'I must say that sounds as if you know what you are doing. It will be so.
But how about defence? We're in undead country and we will soon have to deal with the first prisoners.'
'I know', said Aqizzar. 'Unfortunatly building defences is not my specialty. I am a civilian architect, not a military engineer.'
'Well then. It is fortunate that I am. My military service at least served some purpose.' Orblock laughed. Digging into the raw earth made him feel good. He would be worthy of the Kings orders.
'I've been thinking on the defences on the way here. I know these lands from days ahead and knew there would be a river. I want to build the prison camp outside, on the other side of the river. We will wall it off, and make it accessible either via an underground passage or via a raising bridge. The entrance to the underground passage will serve as the base for a tower that oversees 'The Square of Welcoming' This is were prisoners will arrive.
The entrance to our main base will be walled off as well, to protect us from the undead. The trade depot will be outside. We might have to build an outer wall to protect that as well. The entrance will then be protected by a set of devious traps I learned of while in the military.'
'Now I am impressed, sir. Er.. Judge.'

'Help me! Undead!' It was Afer's voice, coming not too far from the entrance.
The Judge and Aqizzar rushed outside, only to find the mutilated remains of a zombie groundhog and Afer's war dog, still growling at it.
'I doubt you can eat that', said Afer, complimenting her dog, who seemed unharmed.'
'You were lucky', Orbock said, and turned back to the entrance to resume digging.

8th Granite, 1051

Orbock hadn't slept well. In fact, he hadn't slept well since their arrival. He knew that the other dwarves hadn't slept well either. Quite possibly it had something to do with a lack of beds. So Orbock knew that the news he had to bring them today would not please them at all.
'Can I have your attention?'  The dwarves had gathered at the wagon to drink from the barrels.
'What is it, Judge?' Yami replied. Yami was a tall dwarf. Being a trained armorsmith, his arms bulged with muscles from wielding the hammer. Due to his friendly nature he had been quick to make friends with Frodo and Grimwold. The three of them had spend most of their freetime at the digging site, while the Judge and Aqizzar worked on, and Afer was out cutting wood.
'We are going to need defences. Here are the plans. We are going to build a wooden tower at that location', pointing at an area across the river. 'The prison camp will next to it. I want it surrounded by walls. I have drawn a map for you so you will know where to build.'
Orblock hoped that he had given them enough information at once that they would not think of the fact that the wooden tower would consume all wood they had available at present.
'But sir? Judge?', said Frodo, 'We don't have any experience building walls.'
'Trust me, you'll learn.'
At that moment, a terrible growl sounded from the north. 'More undead!'
Grimwold shouted, and ran for the fortress entrance. Startled, the dwarves scattered in all directions. Afer's dog however darted straight at the two incoming undead groundhogs.
'He'll be torn apart.', Orblock said.
Instead, even before he had finished speaking, half a groundhog flew through the air, the other half being stuck between the war dog's jaws. The second groundhog charged at the dog, but it jumped aside, and in a quick turn, was upon its foe.
Moments later peace and quiet had returned. The dog ran off without a scratch.
'I'll be damned. That dog's a monster.' Frodo said.
'Enough chit-chat, we've got a wall to build!' Arkaim was glad he could do something useful. There was no kitchen set up yet, and he was starting to get bored. The dwarves set off to work, not realizing that they were going to use the wood that could have also gotten them some beds.

16th Slate, 1051

The dwarves were beginning to grumble. Weeks of sleeping on the floor hadn't done their moods any good. Therefore Orblock had decided to give them the day off, and catch up with some sleep. He had already ordered a carpenter's workshop to be built, and tomorrow he would let them make some beds. The construction of the prison camp and the defenses were coming along nicely.
Satisfied, Orblock went to sleep.
    :roll:
fixed to z-3 now.

EDIT: @Ghostpaw: a save and map will come eventually, but right now I am on a connection where uploading a 1.3Mb picture takes about 2 minutes. You can PM me what you would like to know from the legends though..
Civilisations name: 'The Wayward Armor'. Fortess name: 'Brightcleansed the Joy of Laws'. Group name: 'The Bloody Bearded Hammers of Justice'.

[ June 09, 2008: Message edited by: martinuzz ]

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2008, 08:06:00 pm »

Suggestion for an execution method
Build a workshop for a craftsdwarf prisoner with a chute in and a lever-operated door outside. Let them in, lock them in, make them create stuff until they die of hunger or thirst.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2008, 08:12:00 pm »

Hehe. Idea added to list.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2008, 08:46:00 pm »

There is a symbol of the civilization and there is a symbol of the outpost.  I'd like to know both but mostly the symbol of the civilization.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20