Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20

Author Topic: Shinfusur Ilir Toral (a bloody deathrow fortress)Kills:37  (Read 18293 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Newt: Jeweler
Grath: Stonecrafter
Jools: Mechanic / Siege Engineer
Billy: Mechanic

Spazz: Gem setter
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

'Move it you rats!'
Afer was out cutting wood and spotted the incoming prisoners first, again.
The dwarf who was leading them carried a long stick and struck his prisoners regularily with it, while barking orders at them.
Afer walked up to meet them. Indeed, she could make out 8 prisoners.
'All hail, dwarf! I bring you fresh meat! It is Spazz. Spazz Roughnessstockades. Here to strenghten his Majesty's cause.'

Afer beckoned the dwarf to come closer, out of the prisoners' hearing range.
'Hmm. Is that so? I am Afer, the sherrif of this ridiculous hell-hole. You say you're here to strenghten the cause. Well then. You shouldn't beat them like that. Do you beat your dog? It makes them mean and unreliable. I am the sherrif of this here operation! I will not tolerate you beating them without proper cause. They need to be conditioned properly, to ensure Law and Order in the prison camp. If they, through your actions, become unreliable, I will hold you responsible. Am I clear?'
Spazz mumbled something under his breath, which Afer luckily did not notice. He then said:
'They did not walk fast enough! I have my orders to come to this camp without delay. They were delaying me!'
'I will let this pass for once, then. Now come, and let me show you the camp, and get rid of the stench of those rats.'
'Hrmph. Agreed. It sickens me as well.'

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Afer and Spazz arrived at the Square of Welcoming a few moments later. Afer took Spazz aside and said:
'Listen. There are two children among them. The Judge has seen it fit for them to help with hauling tasks around the fortress. At such young age, they pose no threat to security, and we really need the extra hands.'
'Uhmm. They are my children.'
'You said what? You brought your children, all tied up, to this hellhole?'
'Family tradition. It'll make real dwarves out of them.'
Spazz left Afer flabberghasted and proceeded to the children to cut them loose.
'Come on, little ruts. Go and make yourself useful for a change! Take my baggage and find us some beds. Now.'
The young dwarves left quickly, glancing vengefully at their father, not even shedding a tear.

Spazz then returned to Afer, who was still dumbstruck.
'Now what to do with the prisoners, sherrif?'
'Erm.. Right. The prisoners. We will put two of them in each barrack. That way they won't mingle too much. Wouldn't want to see them multiply now. Or worse, they might even try to organize themselves. Really wouldn't want that.'
'Who cares. They'd be dead soon anyway.'
'In my camp there will be Order. No scheming or mingling or what-so-ever. Now come. You will take the prisoners to their barracks in pairs, while I wait with the rest. Go!'
'Very well.'

Having said this, Afer walked up to first two prisoners in the line.
'Your names!'
'Billy, sir. Billy Royalwhipped.'
'Cerol'
'Alright. Listen, Billy. Cerol. You will be known from now on as prisoner #27 and prisoner#23. If you hear those names, you WILL respond IMMEDIATLY. Or you will be whipped Royally', she added to Billy.'
'You have no right!', the prisoner named Cerol began.
'I have every right. What did you just say, prisoner#23?'
'You have no right! I am Cerol Dasnastnil, and I refuse to be treated like this any longer!'
Fast like lightning, Afer grabbed the dwarf by the beard and lifted him from the ground. She turned around and handed the dwarf to Spazz.
'Put prisoner #23 in solitary. I will deal with his ignorance later.'
Spazz took over Cerol and carried him inside to the barracks. Afer walked up close to each prisoner, to look them in the eye, and spat a number in their face by which they would henceforth be adressed.

The events on the early morning of 11th Moonstone 1052

A few weeks had passed, and winter had come.
The prisoners had not heard any word from Cerol, who had been in solitary since their arrival.
This morning, Afer rounded up the prisoners outside of their barracks together with Spazz.
'I have something very important to show you today.', Afer said. 'Please, Spazz..'
Spazz walked up the stairs to the upper barracks and returned with a dwarf, barely recognizable.
It was Cerol. He was so lean, his entire skeleton was visible through his skin.
'Prisoner #23. Have you learned yet?' Afer asked.
'I.. am.. Cerol... You... will face... justice.. for your deeds!' The dwarf raised his chin and spat at Afer.'
'Very well.' Afer wiped the saliva from her forehead. 'Spazz. Take him. Take him to the top.'
Afer turned around to face the other prisoners.
'You are to come with me. We are going through the fortress. If any of you.. If any of you try something funny, I will release Bitch.' Afer said, pointing at the foam-mouthed war dog she had been given by Orblock. 'And trust me. She is a bitch. Although she'd rather kill undead than you vermin.'
With this, she ordered the prisoners into the underground passage to the trade depot.
But, instead of coming to the surface, she walked them up to the Pit, shoved them inside, and locked the door behind them.
'Behold!' She shouted through the door. 'This is what happens to those who will not bend. Learn from it.

movie:   http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-624-exampleset
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 05:53:28 pm by martinuzz »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Before you read my posts I'd like to ask your pardon for my English, which is probably quite bad, but I'm not a native speaker. Even worse, I'm a French-speaker; so it's already kind of a miracle that I can speak some English at all. ;D

First pages of Sheb's diary, found sewed on an old piece of Pig Tail cloth.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

I really don't understand what's going on. Of course, dwarven justice has always been a bit... random (We all have seen Soapmakers or Fisherdwarves beaten to death because they didn't made the sixteen platinium chairs asked by the Mayor of a platiniumless fortress), but I've never heard of "justice" on such a scale.
All have begun when our beloved King choose to ban the import of Rope Reeds. Well, as a sockmaker, I was directly hit by the ban, but as my uncle used to say "The only difference between a angry noble and a furious elephant is that your fellow dwarves will not help the elephant beat you." so I better shut up.
And well, if our King decided to ban the rope reeds, there must be some reason! He's our King!

For months and months, as the war was fought and as the King's dragon was destroying anything North of the Carp River, I  survived with the few socks I can made out of the Pig Tails I grow in my cellar, staying secretly loyal to the King and trying to weaken the rebel's armies. (Basically it means that the rebel's soldier must fight without socks.) but anyways, when the King's armies broke into our outpost, walking over the bodies of sockless soldiers and guards, they just sent any survivors in various prison camp, without even trying to find out who was a rebel and who was not.

I think they thought I'm one of the rebellion's head because of my clothier's status. I really hope the didn't, because looking at all the blood and limbs spread across the entrance hall, you don't live long if the guards disliked you. And seeing how this bastard of Spazz keep hitting me all the way to here, I think he didn't like me. My uncle never said me anything about madguards in a prison camp launching convicts from a 15-floors tower, I think I better continue to shut up.

The only think I can do now is waiting for the King to finds out what his armies are doing and stops this bloodbath. I'm sure all this is the work of some Elven mole in the Palace. He cannot have ordained that. He cannot...

P.S. I'll continue this diary as soon as I find some other clothes to sew on. I'll hide the clothes in the courtyard well, hoping somebody found them one day and show them to the King. May Rovod protect us!

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Okay, I tried set up the background of my character, I'll continue to write on a regular basis (Given I found clothes to write on  :D) I'm in holidays!
However, it's my first participation in a community Fortress, so please point out anything you think is wrong in my background, or anything that didn't fit in the general plot.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

I wonder now how Billy will react to losing her naivity.
I put her in the same cell as Newt, to be consistent with your diary entries.
Petyr and Dresdor were not present at the execution due to being locked in their mason's workshops.
And Minkot (the fey) was making masterpiece mugs. No need to upset him. :-X

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

"The only difference between a angry noble and a furious elephant is that your fellow dwarves will not help the elephant beat you."

BRILLIANT! ;D

Before you read my posts I'd like to ask your pardon for my English, which is probably quite bad, but I'm not a native speaker. Even worse, I'm a French-speaker; so it's already kind of a miracle that I can speak some English at all. ;D

It's not so bad at all. I even think it gives some extra flair to your character.

However, it's my first participation in a community Fortress, so please point out anything you think is wrong in my background, or anything that didn't fit in the general plot.

No need to point so far. Keep up the good work! ;)

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, what season is it now? How much longer until the next immigrant wave?

Flar Moonchill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Prisoners #22 Log, Newt.

..I think we may be in deep trouble here. We've been frog-marched back into our cells following a little example o' correctional therapy round here, poor sod Cerol just wanted to hang onto his identify, heh pity he couldn't hang onto the tower on the way down.

Seriously I've seen more then my share of people die before, you do hanging round the cave river docks back home, but theirs something else about all this.

Forced out into that open pit, staring up at the merciless sun wondering what the hells going on, suddenly the suns blots out and 'ol Ceral drops by for a final goodbye....right next to Red who's certainly living up to his name now and will be for a while now.

The cells reeks of blood now, we've tramped it all over.

Least wise it's seems to have shut Billy the hell up, she's just staring at the wall. Don't think it's sunk in to her yet..wouldn't be surprised if it don't, girls got bloody thick skin to match that thick 'ol skull of hers.

Think I'll be getting my head down for a while, answer to that fool number system for a while. Gotta say though, that night time river ride downstream looking mighty tempting right now.

Edited cos I can't spell
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 02:48:42 am by Flar Moonchill »
- If you know what I mean, and I''m sure that you do.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

@Eita: It is still winter (mid- now).
Immigrants cannot be predicted. But I suspect some will come in spring or summer, seen the rate at which Minkot has been crafting masterpieces.

@Flar:Red. hehe.
Oh.. Billy's a she as well. It is kind of an Urist name. Can be used for both genders.

Edit: Oops, checked your number, thanks for putting it above the log. Edited last story post for number consistency.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 05:54:45 pm by martinuzz »

Aardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Man, I love the movie showing Afer create an exaple of those who do not follow her orders.
No prisoner will speak against her anymore  >:(

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

With a  yawn and a stretch Yami woke up slowly, a parched throat the biggest of his worries.  The kids at least, might survive to be, well maybe not upstanding young dwarves what with the enviroment and all, but living ones at least.  And he was working like a proper dwarf, when he wanted and as he wanted.  Life was good.

But smelting does make one thirsty.

It was on his way to the depot for a drink that the steelbender learned the fate of the late Cerol.  A good name and one an old friend of his shared but fortunately this was not the Cerol he knew.  She wasn't exactly the kind to survive the king's armies.  None of his friends were, which was why he'd been able to take this post.  Not that the recent executionee didn't behave exactly like his friends would have.

When he was done drinking Yami went to visit the captive mason, to requisition a proper coffin for the departed.  A dwarf who could turn such an ignominious death into a proper dwarven one via sheer force of will deserved a burial fit for a king.  Well not their current one, he deserved menacing spikes alright, but not on the outside of his coffin.  Anyways, Cerol deserved as best a burial as Yami and the this Petyr could afford.

The armourer figured it would be best to keep this little detail from the judge though, no sense pushing his boundaries too far.
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Flar Moonchill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@Flar:Red. hehe.
Oh.. Billy's a she as well. It is kind of an Urist name. Can be used for both genders.

Edit: Oops, checked your number, thanks for putting it above the log. Edited last story post for number consistency.

Sorted I've gone back and gender corrected both of my previous ones matey, also cleaned up some frankly shocking spelling mistakes and some sentences that I started, diddn't finish and then just started a new line without realising!
- If you know what I mean, and I''m sure that you do.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

'Prisoner #21! What the hell are you doing?' Afer's face was red hot as she shouted at poor Petyr.
'I thought you were to make 500 blocks? And what do I see? Is that supposed to be a coffin-shaped block, er?'
'Yami asked me to make it ma'am! I'm sorry! Please..'
'Yami. Well. Well. I don't recall allowing you to take orders from anyone but me, the Judge or prisoner #1! Or is my memory failing me, perhaps, er? Prisoner #21?'
'No. No ma'am.'
'Well just remember it then. You know? While you are at it, just keep on making those coffins. And engrave every one of them with a prisoner number. Hmm. Just make.. say.. 18 more.. That'll make 20. Right? Prisoner #21? And do remember to look to your husbands grave for inspiration.'

Afer left Petyr to her task, and went into her office. She had to put this incident in the prisoners file, ofcourse. Those damn files. They were really starting to clutter his office.

Suddenly, a thought struck her. It felt alien, as if not her own. But it was brilliant. Ofcourse!
Afer did not pause for a second, but barged through her door and stormed through the hallways.
Arriving at the mason's workshops, she grabbed Zuglar, who had been put under surveillance of some of the children by Aqizzar, and pulled him away from the table he was crafting.
'Out of my way! I need this workshop! Now!'
Last thing Afer remembered before coming to was grabbing a piece of cave spider silk cloth and a haze setting in her mind, taking control of her actions.
When she came to, she was lying comfortably on top of a shining cabinet. And she felt great.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

ATM I'm working on (a slightly modified version of) Aqizzar's Hands of Justice design.
Had to modify it a bit to ensure the guard's safety when cleaning up possible leftovers (if any).
I'm playing through the seasons real slowly, but not because of FPS (that is still fine, at 75-90). I'm seeing nice diary entries and if I played any faster you would all die too fast, and I think that wouldn't be fun.
But, Eita, your immigrant will come, before too long, I promise.

Prisoner #1, the fey, is still open for the taking. If anyone would like to do background / diary on him, that would be cool. If you like, Eita, you can have him. But I'd rather keep the name, since I don't feel like editing all previous post, since the forum-transfer has messed up the old post's layout when you edit them.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

'Allright people! Feeding time!'
Minkot shouted at his fellow prisoners, as the doors were opened.
RED came from his cell, sweating hard.

Aqizzar had installed a crude device in his room. 'You are pathetic!' , she had said. 'Look at you. You don't have any muscle on you. Your wife is dead. And you said you were gonna avenge her? Hahahaha.'
Aqizzar mocked, and spat at him.
'Well now. Let's see if you can build some muscle. I've invented this here 'dwarf trainer'. And you are going to test it for me. Starting now!'

The other prisoners came out as well, except for Petyr and Dresdor, who were locked in still.
'Please, Minkot!' Newt said. 'Please get me out of this cell! I can't stand one more minute with this imbecile woman!' He said, pointing at Billy
'If you choose. You will go in voluntary seperation, then?'
'Yes. Yes. Anything.'
And thus, after feeding time, Billy went back to her cell to find that she was alone.

movie to go with this story:  http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/movie-626-prisontour
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 07:16:38 am by martinuzz »

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20