Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Necrothreat V: The Dead Halls  (Read 25796 times)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Necrothreat V: The Dead Halls
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2020, 05:18:54 pm »

Isn't it possible to equip our military with stone banhammers? It should be possible to use a heavy ore and have them about as effective as a metal hammer. Give them wooden shields and we have an okay military.

Wooden crossbows are also a good option.

We should really work on getting a good drawbridge entrance going. Ideally with a secondary back entrance that we can sneak migrants or merchants into if we have to.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2020, 05:30:46 pm »

Hey, don't criticise my fancy-tower-before-fortifications approach!  :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2020, 07:06:21 pm »

4th of Granite, Early Spring, 251

I smelled them before I saw them. The air was thin today, a fairly cold breeze from the southern glaciers accompanied me on my task of hauling apricot wood logs. Yet the cold, glacial air was not refreshing as it had been before. No, there was a hint of death in the air. First I thought it was a sign. A sign of Vesh, signalling that it was the right decision to come here after a decade as a mountain hermit. But the hint of death became a smell, and then a stench. It was then that I noticed the wildlife around me. There were no sharks hungrily eyeing me from the crystal clear water. No wild police cars drifting around carelessly with their loud sirens. Even the spook-lights seemed to have vanished.

As I hurried to the fortress, or well, the stacked claystone bricks that should one day become a fortress, I saw terror and confusion. Life had been sober, but fairly careless here. Yet now I saw forumites all around me hurry indoors. It wasn't until I came closer that I saw terror on their faces. As I was about to ask Nord why he was hurrying inside, having dropped his log, Dwarfy1 bumped in to me.

"The dead... are here..."

I hurried inside, through the roofless walls and into the central staircase, where me and Dwarfy started barricading the plum wood hatches with anything we could find. Logs, rubble, claystone bricks. We stacked the whole staircase full until eight of the nine the hatches would no longer open. It was then that I heard the screeches. Ibon, a monster hunter that had come to visit only a few days ago, had found himself surrounded and outside. He was a brave Rifle Man, having taken his trusty axe to kill whatever would skulk outside. I peeked out of the last hatch, as I saw two horrid creatures. Fell Slayers, they would be called in the terrifying stories my grandmother, Vesh have her Soul, would read me and my siblings over a century ago. I had been terrified of them, these creatures. Undead, blasphemy towards the Goddess Vesh, yet retaining so much of their shredded soul that they could still function, pass as sapient beings. That is what I saw when I peeked through that accursed hatch. Not shambling rotten corpses. No, eyes filled with intellect and malicious glee, as they tore the mechanisms from Ibon's body, throwing them around as they danced, like blood-covered metal confetti.

It was then that I noticed a snore, not far from my head. I turned around to see Thob, unaware of all the fuss, sleeping outside. Jolly Thob, we used to call him. He had probably gotten drunk on ale and rum yesterday, and fallen asleep under the starlit sky. I whispered his name, to no avail. I turned my head back to the Fell Slayers as I heard more screaming. Ipan, another visitor, had fallen prey to the Fell Slayers, just outside the low walls. I saw him struggle, trying to hit the creatures with his lego pike, but to no avail. Once they were done with torturing him, one of the Fell Slayers slammed him in the throat, leaving a gruesome hole gushing with blood as they once more danced around his dying body.

I turned back to Thob. I once more whispered his name, getting only a snore in return. The Slayers were occupied with Ipan's body, and it was now or never. I yelled his name loudly, seeing Dwarfy come up with the last piece of furniture for the blockade. It was now or never. Thob jerked upright, took a few seconds to look around, until he locked eyes with one of the Fell Slayers. I have never seen anything move as fast as that creature, as it shot towards Thob. It was the last I saw of him, as Dwarfy pulled me back to jam a wooden door between the hatch and the stairs below. But not the last I've heard of him.

We've heard his screams for four days now.

They do not stop.

Crude drawings done in charcoal accompany this entry.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Furthermore, drawings, doodles and little prayers to the Goddess Vesh are present on all pages.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2020, 08:04:05 pm »

Poor rifle man.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2020, 02:44:29 am »

Well writyen! I genuinely thought Thob would survive, there. The first Forumite death of Necrothreat *doffs cap*
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2020, 04:40:22 pm »

21st of Felsite, Late Spring, 251

On the fourth day, when Thob's gurgles had finally died down enough that we could not hear them through our improvised barricade, things had already turned sour. Rimtar, our enraged armorer, kept clawing at the locked door of her bedroom and yelling curses, while Dwarfy desperately tried to get her to eat and drink. She had gone mad, after discovering that we had pranked her by constructing a lego anvil, as the funds for a real anvil were simply not there. Dwarfy kept watch as she slowly faded, and eventually perished silently, spewing curses until her last breath.

Meanwhile, Glass sat at his wife's side as she desperately tried to give birth. The labor took more than a day, but in the end, young Imush had been born a healthy forumite girl. We spent weeks underground, until suddenly, Glass called all of us together. Little Imush was playing around with some gemstones, when Glass noticed their reflections. He had come up with an elaborate plan to dig a set of small tunnels and use gemstone lenses to project what happened on the surface to a room inside. We dismissed him, but he went and did it anyway.

Five days later, Glass returned. He was covered in rock and dirt, having little cuts all over his body. Yet his grimy look was starkly contrasted by the pride in his eyes. "I did it", he said, and he took us to a room underground.

The room itself was simple, dug into a layer of granite. Yet it was filled with dozens, if not hundreds, of shiny gems. Cut in odd shapes and placed at odd angles in the walls, some with holes behind them, others just embedded in the rock. But it was not the room that was impressive. It was the floating construction of colored light within. It was warped, easily disturbed by wrong positioning of those within the room, or even vermin scuttering over the surface lenses, but it worked. If it was magic, technology, a mixture of both or neither, I do not know. But it worked, mostly. Before me, I saw the surface. I saw the dead lands, the crumbling trees, and most of all, the undead, shuffling around.

I spent weeks in that room, only leaving to eat, drink, relieve myself or sporadically sleep. And from within the fortress, I saw what happened above my head. The two necromancers, pesky humans, and their entourage of Fell Slayers, first made camp in a group. Desecrating the earth, playing with corpses and practicing their foul magics. Their mindless undead had taken to hunting wildlife, traveling in a slow yet untiring group. Killing adders and giant sparrows wherever they could.

After a week of watching, five weeks into the siege, things started changing. The mindless zombies started to move differently. The Necromancers and Fell Slayers seemed to try to deny nervousness. And I could feel some sort of aura coming from the Northwest. An aura of coldness. Not evil, but a pure force lacking emotion. It was then that two of the zombies disappeared. Where they once shambled, trying to crush butterflies, only their uneven footsteps remained. I scryed the projection, but could not find anything. Two days later, I found their corpses, hidden away between the branches of trees. Suddenly, I saw movement. Two elven scouts, caught by the undead, dragged from whatever crafty hiding place they had. We would not have stood a chance, but the unnatural senses of the undead had managed to track these hunters. They perished quickly. Through the layers upon layers of stone, I could feel the aura that hung in the air change. Disappointment.

It was then I saw her. Jasro, as we learned later. A shotgunwoman carrying an impressive silver spear. Followed by an entourage of apprentices. She walked slowly into the clearing, casually stepping over the corpses of her scouts. She shot her barrels into the air, garnering the attention of the undead. It did not take long before a mass of zombies was approaching them from all sides.

"Prove yourselves."

That was the only thing she said, as two of her apprentices, Ninjas, rushed into the hoard. They did not manage to kill a single goblin as they fell.

"Disappointing."

That was her only reaction to the deaths of these Ninjas. Two humans followed, one taking down an RPG-Gamer zombie, the other killing two haxxor zombies. Both were torn apart.

"Failure."

Two more apprentices rushed into battle, some managing to score one, or even two kills before they died. The two Necromancers looked on from a distance, surrounded by their nervous Fell Slayers.

"Insufficient."

Her last two apprentices, a goblin swordsman and a human lasher, jumped into the frey. They were torn apart almost instantly.

"Pathetic."

She was alone now, surrounded by zombies. She drew her silver spear. It took days, but in the end, she only scratched her barrels. I counted every kill. 15 zombies laid dead once more at her feet. The Necromancers and their Fell Slayers had long retreated and left the site. Only a single haxxor zombie still stood. She ignored it, and casually walked to the fortress. Our own improvised militia had rushed out, to kill the last one and lift the siege. 8 Forumites against a single haxxor zombie. Nord almost lost his leg. NAV died, a gruesome and sad death, as the haxxor turned his throat into mush with a singe punch. Jasro did not even look back. She was received a hero, and informed us bluntly that she would live here from now on. I could not do anything but nod. That night something came to me in my sleep. It entered my mind.

I am losing control of my body.

Again, this entry is accompanied by drawings

Wew, I was preparing for a year of being completely sieged down. Turns out we were rescued by visitors. Armok bless their digital souls.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this on my own turn, but I'd like to nominate Jasro "Siegebreaker" Spishabstama the Double Barreled Shotgun Spearwoman for an early addition to the hall of legends. She fought completely by herself and managed to singlehandedly down 15 zombies, saving the fortress from a migrantless, traderless, boozeless year.

Here's her kill list.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2020, 05:06:38 pm »

*Gurgle gurgle gurgle* RIP me.

Please reforumite me as someone from the next migrant wave.

Did the chainsaw handed siegebreaker thing take part in the battle at all?

I think Jasro deserves a spot in the hall of legends.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2020, 05:12:05 pm »

*Gurgle gurgle gurgle* RIP me.

Please reforumite me as someone from the next migrant wave.

Did the chainsaw handed siegebreaker thing take part in the battle at all?

I think Jasro deserves a spot in the hall of legends.
Alright, a brewer once more?

Sadly no, I'm not sure what it was occupied with but I didn't see it fight and there's no reports.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2020, 05:29:41 pm »

I’m really looking forward to seeing what happens to Jasro after this.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2020, 05:57:52 pm »

Yeah, I think she's earned it.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2020, 08:55:57 pm »

Two reactions:

Actually, a third. Wowee. What a badass visitor. Monster hunters are hilariously useless since they never do stuff unless they're in danger, but given what we've seen of her, that's exactly a Jasro thing to do.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2020, 03:29:32 am »

Well, bollocks.

My sincere condolonces, NAV. May you drink deep in the next life.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2020, 05:58:58 am »

If there are any forumites left I'd like one, but if there aren't any I can wait.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2020, 08:29:09 am »

Also an addition to Jasro's legend: she was only a competent spearwoman when she arrived (now being skilled after the fights) and she killed most of the zombies by just smashing their heads in with her various bodyparts.

If there are any forumites left I'd like one, but if there aren't any I can wait.
Any preferences? I've got a lovely Legendary Metalcrafter lined up if you're interested in her

You'll know soon enough :P
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11