Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Necrothreat V: The Dead Halls  (Read 25795 times)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Necrothreat V: The Dead Halls
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2020, 12:24:14 am »

Sign me up for a turn please!

And a forumite too, preferably the brewer for tradition.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2020, 04:31:48 am »

PTW

I'm just gonna watch this as I suck at fort mode.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

BlueKanary

• Bay Watcher
  • *Chirp Chirp*
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2020, 02:52:36 pm »

I'll take a turn. Guess I'll go read the previous Necrothreats while I wait.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2020, 07:47:18 pm »

PTW

All the more reason to take a turn.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2020, 08:59:44 pm »

I'll take a dorfing once that's applicable. Or, forumiting.
Or forumeching.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2020, 11:37:56 am »

My name is Dwarfy the First, known as Dwarfy1. It is a new year. In the great Mountain Homes far, far to the north east that means drinking from horned flagons and toasting the king’s continued health. Long may he reign. As a lord in his retinue I got to know him well. And his daughter.
   I sigh and wipe the nib of my pen on scrap parchment. The wagon trundles on, following winding tracks forged by many wild things. I am sitting in the lead wagon beside TheFlame52, our site founder.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

“And that is how you gut a fish!” she exclaims, clapping me on the shoulder. My pen skitters across the page and I curse.
   “Indeed,” I say, raising my head. And then I frown. Directly ahead the path ends. Not a slow dwindling, but a sudden termination. With ‘ay boy!’ and ‘whoaaa!’ my travel companions reign in the Trabants, whose white boxy bodies buck in obvious confusion.
   The land ahead is black with death. I lean forward, amazed. I had heard of such places, of course, but to see a terrifying landscape close-to is incredibly disturbing.
   “And… we’re sure there is a green haven? I have heard disturbing things about lands like these.” I shiver. “Very disturbing.” Flame nods.
   “Yes,” she says, “there should be. Close to the far edge, according to the Royal Geographer. An old man, but sharp as lolz. He will not lead us wrong.”
   I nod. Yes, I think. But the Desolation of Shosa might.

We travel through the night, hearing strange calls. But despite my misgivings we reach the promised haven. Here the green lands penetrate the thick, dead undergrowth. Green trees grow beside grey. Flame orders the fishermen to the river, taking a rod himself. He leaves me with the craftsmen with a significant look.
   The next steps are up to me. I sigh and heft my pickaxe, admiring the play of light along its length. As a member of the royal court I had been unusual. I had loved stones and rocks, and was known as an authority on mining.
   For this expedition, however, I need muscles and not passion. I begin examining the ground, striking it with the haft of my pick and listening, ear pressed to the ground. I hear the steady thunk of dead trees being hewn. I sigh.
   Eventually I find a suitable location. There is a thick layer of soil, perfect for agriculture. And deeper echoes speak of unflawed rock, perfect beneath its green cloth. I grin, and raise my pick, and strike the earth.
   With this blow I found Necrothreat, I think.

The name was not my choice. Flame claims it came from the King himself, who ordered it on ancient wisdom. I shake my head. Strength does not lie in a name. It lies in the arms and the minds of individuals.
   I get into a rhythm. Swing, breathe, swing, breathe. I work for hours, crafting spaces for farming and carpentry. I see Imush smile for the first time as he hauls sacks of seeds into the earth. “I’ll make this place bloom, mark me words” he says, cocking a brow. “That Shosa may weep.” I wipe my hands and look for a drink.
Many trees have been felled above ground and a carpenter’s shop sits beside my steps. I see Flame approaching from the river. Her hands are full of fish, some wriggling.
   She throws these down on the ground. “Okay, Forumites,” she says. “Get ‘em while they’re fresh. Also, new rule. Nobody goes fishing without my express permission. Is that clear?”
   We nod uncertainly. “Why?” I ask, though happy enough to agree. Fishing did not appeal to me.
   “Because there is a small…shark problem,” replies Flame.

“One had lazers in its eyes” I hear Kikrost whisper to Ubbul. He puts an arm around her shoulders and holds her close.

Days pass. I delve deeper. Fossilised bone lines the caverns, reminding me of where we are. But the subterranean world is beautiful. I can imagine lanterns on the walls. Small chips with chisel or hammer revealing gems. A hall fit for a princess.
   I freeze, one hand laid against a wall. It is trembling. Perhaps, I think, Flame’s new bedrooms are going to be filled. Or maybe… slinging my pick across my shoulder I run outside. A wave of dust covers me and I cough. In it there is a line of caravans and a proxy.

I smile. “Hail,” I say. “Welcome to Necrothreat. What news of the Mountain Homes?” The proxy straightened when he saw me but slumped back almost immediately. His clothes are grand.
   “Hail. But I will reserve my tales for your site administrator. Your… founder. I have travelled too many months to tell my news to someone unimportant.”
   “I am a lord,” I say. The proxy shrugs. “Dwarfy the First, I…” Flame appears behind me and lays a hand on my shoulder.
   “Calm, friend. He’s trying to get you going; don’t let it work.” I scowl but fall quiet. “Now,” says Flame. “What have you to trade?” The talk moves to cotton prices, lego durability and other unimportant things. I lean in when they begin speaking of wars in other lands.
   “And the royal family?” I ask. “Are they well?”
   The proxy laughs. “I have no idea. They are all alive, certainly, and no disease had laid them low. But the company of royalty is denied me.”
   I curse. The man knows nothing. I leave Flame to his deals and move to the quarry. Ast, our mason, has great plans for a tower rivalling Shosa. “Tall and thin,” he said. “Columned and fluted. But,” he said with a wink, “I’ll need some land mined out, and quarries for claystone.”
   I work all day. Swing. Breathe. Swing. Breathe.
        Some days later, Ubbul and Kikrost rush towards me. “Migrants!” they cry. “New folk to help in the great work!” Looking into the sun, I squint. There is a plume of dust in the distance. I nod and join the others at the fledgling tower’s entrance.
   New blood and new names, I think as I wait.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 11:44:23 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2020, 11:52:27 am »

Hey, shouldn't the war guitars be more like this than renamed hammers?
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_GUITAR_WAR]
   [NAME:war guitar:war guitars]
   [SIZE:400]
   [SKILL:PLAY_STRINGED_INSTRUMENT]
   [TWO_HANDED:37500]
   [MINIMUM_SIZE:32500]
   [MATERIAL_SIZE:3]
   [ATTACK:BLUNT:25:150:smash:smashes:music:2000]
      [ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2020, 01:21:38 pm »

The war guitars convert back and forth between weapons and musical instruments with a reaction.

Also, happy to see the great white sharks in the river arrive so fast! That and the trabants as pack animals.

Could we see about buying a forumech from the caravan if they've got one, or request some for next year?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2020, 04:46:50 am »

And so the first chapter stands. Nice.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2020, 04:56:35 am »

PTW

All the more reason to take a turn.
I think everyone would die as last time I messed with fort mode I could never figure out how to make migrants do anything or how to build a bridge.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2020, 04:14:58 am »

You assume everyone isn't going to die anyway  :P

I saw her. White hands against my brown ones. Jewels, precious as mountains, glittering around her throat. I saw her, and my face felt heavy. Awkwardness, the bane of any courtier. I’d never felt it before.

They come in a steady stream. Young, old. Even a single child. I shift my pick on my shoulder. Same fate for us all, I think. The mines or the carpentry workshops, making the things which cause a fortress like this to tick. They call their names as they enter.
   Lord_lemonpie Squaresword, a skinny Forumite with quick-looking fingers. He calls his name and walks past. I take note. He has a militaristic swagger. “The legendary musician,” I hear someone whisper. I snort. He’s obviously a mason.
   Nord Craftshines, a well-groomed Forumite with sharp eyes, follows him. There is stone dust under his fingernails. A fellow miner? No. He carries a chisel. A stonecrafter. Perhaps of shrines, given his name.
   Next in line is Glass Galleyash, a well-muscled individual. He carries a pickaxe over his shoulder. I nod as he passes. Help in chiselling out the endless halls. Tall, for a Forumite, and confident.
   Apiks Holyrough passes, his bright emerald eyes glimmering. When he gives his name, the voice is scratchy. He pushes a cart in front of him. I hear buzzing and step back. “Bees,” he says to the clerk, smiling. No one says anything. He rolls his eyes. “They make mead.” There is a low murmur of voices.
   Nav Bladehames. She enters the fortress with a bouncing step. She laughed when Apiks gave the purpose of his bees, her emerald eyes flashing. “Mead,” she said, licking her lips. “I like that.”
   Broad, but with no fat, pikachu17 Yawningwhipped comes next. He looks like a one-and-a-halfer, the term given to those who reach a century and a half. With a start, I realise I recognise him. His eyes are sharp with intellect. An unrivalled scholar. The king’s geographer. He had chosen this location. What is he doing here? Passing, he nods my way. I frown but nod back.
   Ubbul and Kikrost, the stonecrafter and carpenter, are chatting beside me. They became very close on the journey here. “Well, that is good. Help for everyone,” Kikrost says.
   “I’ll have to make more beds,” the gruff Ubbul replies.

Nord stands beside the workshop. It is dark, below the ground. Very different from the Mountain Homes with their many jewels and torches. But so long as he has room to work, the Forumite does not mind.
   He places down a lump of quarried stone. He knows its flaws, sees its potential. The Mountain Homes may be beautiful, but only because it holds many skilled workers of stone. Now Necrothreat, the Dead Halls, has one of its own.
   He begins chiselling, using all the tools in his work shop. Time passes, blurring around him. They bring him food, and Nord smiles. Already they are used to his peculiarities. There is no life but the chisel and the stone. He had not even paused to wash the dust from his clothes.
   He finishes, giving a sigh of happiness. It is a craft of great beauty and craftsforumiteship. One of his best, in fact. He sets it to the side and wipes his hand across his brow. He does not know where the inspiration for his work comes from, but the muses are always kind.

Nord reclines in his seat. Yes, he could get used to this place. Perhaps even make it beautiful. And if, for some reason, it is threatened… he feels an itch, like he is being watched, and laughs.
   “Made it at last, my pet?” he says, standing and stretching. He hadn’t wanted it to scare everyone by entering from the front. But no doubt rumour of it had spread. Erin Quill’s greatest invention, an unequalled ally. There is a burst of flame and the sound of a chainsaw revving. Nord smiles.

Dwarfy the First feels the season slip away like unanswered questions. The barren lands remain empty except for robotic lazorsharks and wild policecars. There is no sign of Shosa’s beasts. The tower of the Dead Halls, of Necrothreat, only has one level. It is fragile as an egg shell.
   And stories of darker things, of lands which make dead things walk without the hand of a Necrothreader… seem to be unfounded. Or at least not present in this land. A donkey died, eating the dry undergrowth which coats the land, black and lifeless. And it stayed dead.
   He digs, and he builds, and he rubs shoulders with the peasants. They think he is one of them, for the most part. He finds that harder to believe. He goes to the tower often, depositing rough-hewn rock from the hillside which was levelled to give it room.
   He stands there now, looking around. It was begun in an island of green, a nugget of pure earth which pikachu had guessed existed so long ago. Light to challenge the darkness. He sighs. There has been talk, recently, among the new arrivals. They claim there is need for strong leadership.
   Dwarfy is a noble, but he has made no noise to support his claim. Some other will have to do it. The season’s chill is in his bones, and it feels like the coming of death. He turns to go, then stops. There. On the horizon. A dark smudge, a moving mass, a…
   Dwarfy gasps. “The undead!” he shouts as he runs below ground.

“Batten the hatches! The undead are here! Seal the door!” We are not ready, we are not ready, it’s too soon…. I bump into someone. Lord_lemonpie. A fellow noble, perhaps? I shake my head. "The dead... are here..." I gasp, grabbing his robes.

Will add save when it's finished uploading. I have burrowed everyone, and set a door to be built at the entrance, extending the burrow so this is possible. You may wish to edit the burrow. I don't know if it will be built in time. Failing that, the stairs down have hatches. I suggest locking them. We have no military to speak of, and no iron that I have seen, though mining hasn't been extensive.

Also, our only anvil is made of lego and is therefore unusable, as a legendary armoursmith found when he had a mood. He went berserk and is locked in his room. Forgot to add that to the write up :P

Also also, most Forumite migrants tend to be older and have good military skills. Many have goblin kills. I sense some interesting history.

Edit: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15052
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 04:27:06 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2020, 08:46:23 am »

A flippin' crown? Again? Wouldn't be Necrothreat without the past haunting us I suppose.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2020, 12:32:37 pm »

We could let the Siegebreaker try fighting the invaders. It should make a dent, at least.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2020, 02:58:49 pm »

:o I am a very good stonecrafter who also owns a friggin' mech? I can work with that.

And heh, not Necrothreat isn't itself without a necro... threat. I frankly wouldn't suggest sending Tholtig out: undead don't burn (they need magma to burn), and however devastating he may be, he's liable to die without backup, since well, yeah. Though, we do have some miners that might serve as backup (assuming they've been mining close to non-stop) to fully run the siege off if it's only a few zombies. Risky, though it might be less risky than not getting migrants for however long the siege takes to go away.

The next player might be strongly advised to set their visitor cap to 0 unless we... well, maybe not, we might be able to get gear that way, even if a few corpses need to be seen later on. And heck, if we get some hilariously powerful visitor, maybe they'll do the work for us!

Also, are we in a reanimating biome? Doesn't seem so since there's been no mention of it and since there hasn't been any zombie wildlife, but there's no way we're getting off that easy as to have a basically benign terrifying biome.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2020, 03:34:37 pm »

And stories of darker things, of lands which make dead things walk without the hand of a Necrothreader… seem to be unfounded. Or at least not present in this land. A donkey died, eating the dry undergrowth which coats the land, black and lifeless. And it stayed dead.
Seems perfectly benign. Just everything is dead.
Also I believe you're a legendary stoneworker.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11