Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Chaoschain(Hydra Fortress)  (Read 24395 times)

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
Re: Chaoschain(Hydra Fortress)
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2008, 03:18:00 am »

So stuff does grow on sand. Well then, the original plan has not changed. Collapse everything.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2008, 11:24:00 am »

I have done the actual designation for the magma pipe now. It is all done in the 2nd stone level. That means

z-0=Nada
Z-1=Yellow Sand/Water Inlet
Z-2=Red Sand
Z-3=Obsidian
Z-4=Obsidian/Magma

Any questions?  ;)

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2008, 11:55:00 am »

I notice I don't have the still and kitchen I asked built. Is it because I have no materials ? If so, can I dig downwards to get some stone ? It also seems I'm out of seeds, since the farm is rather empty.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2008, 12:09:00 pm »

Istrian, your still and kitchen were built as the start of the August season, since you had materials. They are both made out of Microline. But thank you so much for checking, since I can't be 100% sure I didn't miss something. That's the main reason that I SHOULD upload every season  ;)
One thing I didn't catch for you until the end of last season was your barrel setup request.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2008, 12:21:00 pm »

This is definitly an interesting concept. I suppose I can be a minion.
Name: Strife
Jobs: Mechanic, Stone Crafter, Farmer, any combination or all three.
Other than that, I can write a backstory for him/her if I can hear a personality.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2008, 01:31:00 pm »

Istrian, you are getting one of the two Gemsetters, THLawrence, you are getting the weaver, Mulch Diggums, you are getting the Peasant

One of the Former Gem Workers has minion potential...

He will be with the trader for now. He can be gained by trading one of your Immigrants for him.

Skills: I am overhauling skills that are on/off. You need to ask to get others on/off from now on. All dwarves are starting with Mining, Carpentry, Masonry, Brewing, farming, health care, cleaning, and the Hauling skills. Those with craftsdwarfs workshops currently in their fortress gets Bone Carving, Stonecrafting, and Woodcrafting. Likewise Mechanics for mechanics workshops and so forth. Your immigrants/minions will not have mining on, except for Svartamyrkur, whom will grab The Purple Cap's second pick. All immigrants are going to start, this time only, copies of their lords + starting skills. If you want a "standard Skillset" of incoming immigrants, let me know. Otherwise, immigrant skills won't be messed with after this point.
Minions will always be set to what the minion requests, but also are starting the same as the fortress lord for this time.

Here's the Skills that lords currently have turned on for some odd reason or another for lords/copycat minions and Immigrants (Parenthesis means no current skill there)
Mulch Diggums: Animal Training, Bone Carving, (Stonecrafting), (Woodcrafting), (Weaving), (Clothesmaking)
Mekali: Stone Detailing, (Mechanics)
Istrian: (Cooking), (hunting), (fishing), (plant gathering)
Impending Doom: Weaponsmithing
Cobbles: Stonecrafter, (Woodcrafting), (Bone Carving), Glassmaking, Mechanics,
Kira: Weaponsmithing

Dwarves that as of right now have some different skillsets.
Roza: Cooking, (Stone Detailing), Locking Doors
ThLawrence's Immigrant also has (Stone Detailing) in addition to copying Kira.
All Immigrants have the job on for their skills as well.

As for the concerns for farming: If you have Plump Helmet seeds, right now I am getting them planted. Most people don't have seeds since they are already turned into plump helmets. Other seeds won't be planted until I am told to. If you deliberately switch off of the Plump Helmet food source to something nobody else uses, then I will just set your farms to produce what you want as per the season and not worry about it. For now I do have to worry about it, since I don't like getting spammed with dwarves trying to get seeds from behind locked doors.

[ April 15, 2008: Message edited by: Kogan Loloklam ]

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2008, 02:10:00 pm »

AlmostEverywhere: Obsidian Swords require wood for handles. You have no wood remaining. With the trader finally having help, he will trade for wood.

I've picked the 4 worst of your current 8 swords for trade (2 Norms, 2 Well-Crafted. You also have 1 Fine, but I am assuming you want to keep it)

That gives you 180 Currency plus 130 currency of stone goods. your 210 currency is certainly enough to buy some wood.

Wood will be sold to for 8 currency each. This is a standing price for wood from the trader group for all parties, no direct limits to the wood, however, don't expect large orders to be filled quickly, especially when goblins start ambushing.

(Edit 1:
DoctrZombie: You only had the 1 bed, and have no wood left to make another. The dining room has it's tables and chairs.
Impending Doom, I made a mistake in digging out your open-air pit. 5 tiles in the top left corner were dug at z-1 instead of z-0. It digs into the red sand, making a small opening in between the future rooms below. It's only 1x5, so not too bad.

AlmostEverywhere

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2008, 02:17:00 pm »

From Cobble's journal:

A new dwarf came down to join me today.  She introduced herself as Roza.  I think I knew her back home or something... I'm sure I've seen her face before.  Anyways, I'm now dividing up labor in the fortress... Roza will do every job involving organic stuff, that is, carpentry, farming, cooking, brewing, weaving, etc.  I'll do everything inorganic - stoneworking, mining, mechanics, masonry, that sort of thing.

We'll need another bedroom, but it seems wrong for the leader of the fortress to be stuck with a sand room while someone else gets a nice stone one.  So I'll dig out a new 5x5 bedroom somewhere off the north passage I've dug out on z-4, and I'll dig a second dining room there as well.  Roza will get my old bedroom and dining room.

(A later entry)
While I was sleeping, I could have sworn I heard someone working in my mason's workshop.  Was that door always there?

EDIT:  Post collision with you, Kogan!  I totally forgot about the wooden handles.  I'd like to buy, let's say, another 6 wood for now.  That should be enough to finish off my 10 swords and still have enough left for a bed for Roza and maybe a couple more bins (if I need them).  Also, if I wasn't clear up there, I want to dig a new bedroom and dining room for Cobbles off the northern passage on z-4, which means I'll be making 2 more doors and another throne, table, cabinet, and coffer.  Roza is assigned to carpentry duties from now on, so she gets to make the new bed.

Also, unless I say so, make all the stone crafts/toys/instruments available for trade with caravans as much as possible.  I'm hoping we can stop farming in my sub-fortress altogether and get our food, booze, and cloth from trade.

[ April 15, 2008: Message edited by: AlmostEverywhere ]

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2008, 02:38:00 pm »

So, I'm getting company. Well then, he/she/it will have the following labors enabled :
- Farming (fields)
- Cooking
- Brewing
- Food Hauling
I'll name him "One" until he gets claimed by someone.

Disable those labors (except Food Hauling) on my character.

I guess I can't ask you to turn off All Dwarves Harvest in the Orders menu, the others would complain.

Though that gives me an idea : why don't all Lords vote in that kind of circumstances ?

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2008, 03:16:00 pm »

I don't see any problem with only farmers harvest, since everyone is already currently a farmer, but like you said, it does affect everyone, so it should be voted on.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2008, 03:28:00 pm »

Hmm. Alright, hopefully if I'm lucky I can give you more detailed instructions later, but for now this will do.

Yay for my new minion! I will let him have autonomy of himself for the most part, so long as he does not destroy the fortress.

That well will need to be built soon. Crack out 2 stone blocks from the mason's workshop. I need to buy more wood. 4 wood logs should be good for now. One will be made into a bed, another a bucket.  In trade I will offer up any stone crafts I have. If I have none, perhaps some of my fine plump helmets? Provided I keep at least 10 for my own fortress... =D I would also like to secure some other seed groups...most notabally quarry bush seeds (Rock nuts?)

If my assistant becomes idle and does not give you alternative instructions, please activate stone crafting on him. Keep the craftdwarf shop churning out stone crafts so long as more important work (IE: digging, farming, carpentry) is not available.  I'm sure he won't protest if it helps our fortress prosper.

If I run out of raw stone, dig out the lowest level I currently have stairs to (I believe the last displayed version of the map has stairs going down from the refuse/dining room area but no stairs coming up--build the stairs up if I didn't already assign that task) dig out a 20X20 area, and dig out any exposed veins too =D

Yes, yes that will do nicely...
 :D

DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2008, 03:52:00 pm »

Please consider making Bins for storage of stone crafts. It will make it easier for trade. Eventually I will only do trading in things that can be binned in bin stuff.

I was just about to point out your future drink problem too DoctrZombie. Your pressure plates are built, by the way. A has a setting of activation at 7 minimum 7 maximum, B has 0 Minimum 3 Maximum. If I recall, only one is actually needed though. You definatly should run some tests of this and finish your plans pretty soon. You also need a pair of floodgates for the room, since you don't have any made. I suggest you build them    :) You also might consider making a still, since the trader hasn't begun on the aqueducts yet.
I have your 6x12 room dug there at the bottom of those stairs. Do you want me to expand it to 20x20?

Almosteverywhere: you might want to consider the addition of a still. You are further along in your well plans then everyone else with a still, but a still would make a good addition, especially since the trader doesn't have the water corridors channeled out yet.

(Edit 1: Istrian, because when I finish channeling around your entire area to allow you free reign, the trade setup will be lost, the new trade setup will become your responsibility to fund. Most of it will be able to be gained from the old setup, and the rest from wood just sitting along the edges that got channeled away

code:

+ = Ground  ` = Ground outside your territory
O = Wall    # = Wall outside your territory
~ = Water
Z-o       z-1
````````  ~~~~~~~~
````````  #######~
...+++``  +++OOO#~
^OOOO+``  OOOOOO#~
+OGGT+``  ++++OO#~
vOOOO+``  ^OOOOO#~

You COULD add to z-1 to look like this to provide you a well space

code:

~~~~~~~~
#######~
+++OOO#~
OOOOOO#~
++++OO#~
^OOOOO#~
OO~~~~~~
OOOOOO#~

)

(Edit 2: Istrian: Saplings are already growing within your reach. Well, Sapling, singular.)

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2008, 04:44:00 pm »

It makes 0 sense, don't ask me how it happened, but...

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2008, 04:52:00 pm »

what...

THE...

HELL?

So that means one of us isn't a guy. Question is, who?

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2008, 04:59:00 pm »

You are. Do you want me to do some adjustments to make you a guy? I can switch you with Strife, let strife be Undwarfed until we actually get someone who wants another minion, and then put strife as that immigrant or the next immigrant wave.

(Edit: Keep in mind that that means you will not have very much skill at anything except gem setting)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13