Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: Chaoschain(Hydra Fortress)  (Read 24394 times)

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
Re: Chaoschain(Hydra Fortress)
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2008, 04:40:00 pm »

Create a fortress, go down 5 or 6 Z-levels, draw it with (d)esignate, take a screenshot, upload the screenshot on tinypic, and I will copy it.

Alternativly, ascii maps aren't hard. Just use +s for floors and Os for walls, and place numbers in where you want to talk about, and talk about them in a key and add your [code ] tags, such as this-

code:

OOOOO
O+++O
O+1+O
O+OOOOOOOOOOO
O++++++++++2O
OOOOOOOOOOOOO

1: This is the place where I put a 1.
2: This is a dead end! MUHAHAHAHAH!

(Edit: Just be sure to always do the maps as top-down. Side views aren't a good thing generally. As long as you have a point of reference like the only staircase that passes through the level, or distinctive hallways, I can place it just fine)

[ April 13, 2008: Message edited by: Kogan Loloklam ]

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2008, 06:04:00 am »

The problem is that trees don't grow on sand (nothing does). So if I collapse the roof of level z-1, I will have a soil layer of yellow sand, and trees will never grow on that.

Looks like I'll have to get the trader involved. How much would that cost ?

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2008, 12:13:00 pm »

actually, stuff does grow on sand.

I direct your attention back to the Map, and the floor of fortress #5, which has a shrub growing in the sand, or your own fortress, where almost all the sand on the ground has converted to grass already.

It doesn't grow on ocean sand, but sand where it grows above can be brought down one level and it will grow there. Give it a few more seasons, with the roof gone you will get plenty of growth down there.

(Edit 1: Impending Doom, your muddy pool is gone. I took one log and built a mason's workshop out of it, and another and built a sill out of it.)

[ April 14, 2008: Message edited by: Kogan Loloklam ]

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2008, 12:50:00 pm »

Okay, gotcha. I suppose that leaves me with 3 logs? If so, make beds out of all of them, and place them in the upper-right corners of the first 3 bedrooms along the north side.

Oh, and I think I'll call my fortress "MirroredAbbey"

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2008, 12:54:00 pm »

You need a carpenter's shop for that. Do you wish me to build a carpenter's shop out of another of the logs?

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2008, 01:00:00 pm »

Oh, MASON'S workshop, not CARPENTER"S workshop.  :o

Okay, since there's no stone in sight, deconstruct the mason's workshop and build the carpenter's workshop in its place.

Also, since trees can apparently grow in channeled-out areas, would it be possible to channel out a 5x10(north-to-south) open-air room with a doorway along the south wall of the main room?

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2008, 01:07:00 pm »

Most of your place is already open air. Check the map, go to your fortress, add 1 z-level up. I will make your "doorway" that small entry into the space further south. Consider it done.

(Edit 1: THLawrence, you are out of barrels so cannot brew yet. Your 12 doors are done. You are standing around idle now with nothing to do.)

(Edit 2: Everybody has their farms up now. No trade was done this year dispite the caravan, since I had other more important things for the traders to do, such as get all the seeds owed to those who are supposed to have them, and cobbles is the only one with goods to offer and hasn't marked any of them for sale up to this point.
Speaking of Cobbles and Trade Goods, Cobbles is now out of stone. As per the instruction "If the obsidian runs low, expand the room's width by 4 or 5 tiles.", I am expanding his lower room by 4 or 5 tiles. I expect them to be used up in rock crafts fairly quickly. In fact, they only dropped 3 stones, your stones are gone again.)

(Edit 3: Migrants. Season is ended while you all bicker over who wants which one, and as soon as I convince them to actually "ENTER" the map, we'll have it handled. Damned if I know why they are standing at the map edge doing nothing. I suspect they are trying to go to someone's meeting hall or another.)

The Following Dwarves came in this wave.
A Gem Setter
A Gem Setter
A Weaver
A Peasant
A Cook (Jamini)(If I got the wrong name for your female dwarf, tell me.)

A Lye Maker (Boksi)(He is reserved and an ardent worshipper of the god of Misery. That's the best that came in this wave matching your discription)

A Fisherdwarf (GeneralValter)

Everyone gets a base of 1 migrant. If you have a minion entering, then that counts as your migrant and your stuck with what matched the minion best. Feel free to give away migrants, trade migrants, refuse migrants. The trader is reserving 1 Migrant for himself. Impending Doom, unless someone else wants a Minion, I am saddling you with one of the 2 Minions(You can pick which one). The other minion will end up being with the trader until a later date.

Very little map changes this time, so I won't bother with the map or inventory unless directly asked. Inventories are lower then they were for the most part, but still in acceptable ranges(lowest drink stock is impending doom at 3 Remaining. Consider that dwarves drink on average 3-4 drinks per season, Impending should be grateful he has a still.)

[ April 14, 2008: Message edited by: Kogan Loloklam ]

AlmostEverywhere

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2008, 03:09:00 pm »

Yipes!  Stuff has sure happened quick!  

So I'd like to declare any stone crafts I've made and 4 of my 10 swords (if/when they get made) available for trade - I'm not exactly sure what that means, but I'm hoping it means I can give them to the elves for a bunch more food, booze, cloth, and maybe a guard animal    :)

Okay, looks like I need to do some more mining.  Let's see... okay, in the large room on the stone level, dig out the east wall until there's 9 free tiles in the north wall.  Then dig the following:

code:

OOOOOOOOOOO
OOO3+++++OO
OOO++++++OO
OOO++++++OO
OOO++++++OO
O2O++++++OO
++4+++++1OO

1 - The upper-right corner of the room before doing this expansion
2 - dig this out, then place one of the floodgates here.
3 - make a 4x4 weapons stockpile up in this corner for my short swords
4- see below

(If I messed up how much extra space there is on the north wall, expand the room to the east so that there's

Other orders for the coming seasons(in priority order - suspend stonecrafting until these are done).

-My 10 obsidian short swords, if they're not already made, or as many as can be made from the obsidian gotten from the mining described above.

-Build a Mechanic's shop in the southeast corner of the large stone level room, and (when the stone becomes available) build 3 mechanisms, a lever at 4 on the map above, and connect it to the floodgate (I'm trying to work towards getting a well).

-Open up the floodgate with the lever, dig a 1-tile wide passage north for 5 squares.  Then dig a 3x3 room at the end of it (if I've worked this out right, this should be a genuine room and not run into the weapons stockpile).  This will become the well bottom.  Dig a single square from the east wall and put the second floodgate there.

-Build 1 barrel, 2 bins, and a bucket from the carpentry shop.

-Let's start scouting for ore!  Continue the 2x2 up/down stairs on the next z-level, and dig 2-wide passages for 8 squares in each direction(north, south, east, west).  We'll see if we hit anything.

-New standing orders:  From now on, if the stone runs out, dig the 2x2 stairs down another level and dig 2-wide passages in each of the 4 directions.  Then go back to stonecrafting as per previous standing orders.

Whew!  If THAT doesn't keep Cobbles busy till spring, I don't know what will!

[ April 14, 2008: Message edited by: AlmostEverywhere ]

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2008, 04:20:00 pm »

Well it looks like I have more work to do.
The new Plan:
1.) Set up the doors. Each 5*5 room should have a 1 wide entrance. Some of them have 2 entrances. A door in each. As well as 2 doors on z-1 to allow me to close off the stairway from the outside.
2.) Build an armorstand and set it up in the barracks with the bed. Make it a barracks.
3.) Build 1 more chair and table. Set them up in the dining room and make it a dining room.
4.) Smooth the barracks.
5.) Smooth the dining room.
6.) Begin ambitious mining project. See Diagram.

code:

#####
 #>>1#
 #>>1#
###┼┼###
#......#
#..<...#
##.....#
#.....##
#.#..#.#
#.====.#
########

Channel out the ones and put a dump zone on top of them.

code:

z-3
##################################
#................................#
#..###.#####.###..###.#####.###..#
#..#.....#.....#..#.....#.....#..#
#........#..............#........#
#..#############..#############..#
#..#.....#.WWW.#..#.WWW.#.....#..#
#........#.WWW.┼..┼.WWW.#........#
#..#.....#.WWW.#..#.WWW.#.....#..#
#..#.....#....<#..#.....#.....#..#
#..###.#####┼###..###┼#####.###..#
#...............XX...............#
#...............XX...............#
#..###.#####┼###..###┼#####.###..#
#..#.....#DDDDD#..#BBBBB#.....#..#
#........#DDDDD┼..┼BBBBB#........#
#..#############..#############..#
#........#..............#........#
#..###.#####.###..###.#####.###..#
##################################

Additional note:
By now I should be able to stop growing things for a little while.
If booze becomes a problem pull me off mining and start brewing. If I have to many seeds I would like to dump them.
Steps 1-5 will be performed by the migrant.
May I have a migrant whose personality is similar to mine.

I think that was it.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2008, 06:59:00 pm »

I'll take one of the minions! Don't matter which one to me.

Also I'd like to designate that ore vein dug out, and replace the 2x2 bedroom walls with constructed stone ones, then make sure that each room has a bed and the dining hall has at least 2 chairs and 2 tables total.

If all that is done and all we're doing is farming, I'd like to dig out another 6x12 room one floor below my lowest level (IE: a pair of stairs down against any open wall of the floor I currently have dug out, then a 6X12 room from that.) put a still and kitchen in this room. If I have any wood left, make barrels. If I don't, I want to set the crafts shop to making stone crafts and set them all for trade, in return for wood and plants that are not plump helmets.

DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2008, 09:30:00 pm »

Hmm... s'pose I'll take the fisherwarf?

Hold on a sec, I'm going to try drawing up some plans in DF and uploading 'em.

[ April 14, 2008: Message edited by: Impending Doom ]

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2008, 09:58:00 pm »

Roza has arrived at last!

If we have a masons workshop in Lamid Beravus (it does not appear so) then set her to building enough doors to fill any entryway to a room. If not, build  If we don't have enough stone she will gladly mine more (following the guidelines that Almost Everywhere posted.)

If there isn't a masons workshop (I don't see one) then build one in the northeastern section of the recently dug-out stone room.

Once all of the "doorways" are filled with doors, Rosa will start smoothing floors to make new doorways (particularily around workshops), and then engraving them. Once that is done she'll build enough blocks to make constructed walls around the workshops and then construct more doors to fill these new doorways (Doors for doorways always take piority.

If we get all of that done then she'll start smoothing the rest of the stone walls and floors, then engraving them.

If we run low on food, she will farm/brew... but she will stop doing so as soon as we have enough food (Plump helmets and the related alcohol) to survive a few seasons. Also, if Cobbles/Almost Everywhere requests anything of Rosa (or you see an emergancy) she will do so immediatly and without question.

Now, outside of all of that.
If cobbles and Roza end up in the same room as each other doing seperate tasks (I.E. both are eating, or she happens to be on break near the farms when he is making food she will lock all of the doors nearby and refuse to open them untill one of them either sleeps, eats, or needs to get a drink.

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2008, 10:30:00 pm »

Okay, dig a downward staircase in the square directly to the west of the upward stairway on z -1, and dig out the following on z -2:

code:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
O+++++O++O+++++O
O+++++O++O+++++O
O++++++++++++++O
O+++++O++O+++++O
O+++++O++O+++++O
OOOOOOO++OOOOOOO
O+++++O++O+++++O
O+++++O++O+++++O
O++++++++++++++O
O+++++O++O+++++O
O+++++O++O+++++O
OOOOOOO++OOOOOOO
   O++++++O
   O+++<++O
   O+O++O+O
   O++++++O
   O+O++O+O
   O++++++O
   O++++++O
OOOOOOO++OOOOOOO
O+++++O++O+++++O
O+++++O++O+++++O
O++++++++++++++O
O+++++O++O+++++O
O+++++O++O+++++O
OOOOOOO++OOOOOOO
O+++++O++O+++++O
O+++++O++O+++++O
O++++++++++++++O
O+++++O++O+++++O
O+++++O++O+++++O
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Please tell me if you strike stone of any kind.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2008, 12:02:00 am »

All the stone starts on z-3.

Z-2 is red sand

z-1 is yellow sand.

z-0 is the surface.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2008, 12:09:00 am »

Darn.

Well, didn't you say something about tapping the magma?

EDIT: oh, that's right, nothing to make workshops out of. In that case, dig down two more levels, carving out a central room identical to the ones on z -1 and -2 for each level.

[ April 15, 2008: Message edited by: Impending Doom ]

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13