Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Chaoschain(Hydra Fortress)  (Read 24397 times)

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
Re: Chaoschain(Hydra Fortress)
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2008, 09:23:00 pm »

Just a moment, fort plans on the way...

EDIT: oy, just realized I suck at ASCII images. Okay, how about I try to describe it to you?

All of this is on z -1:

* Dig a 5x5 farm plot to the west, with the doorway on the western wall in between those two pillars.

* Directly opposite that, dig a 1-wide 12-long corridor to the east, with 4 2x2 bedrooms branching off along each side.

* To the north, dig an 8x8 stockpile room. Place 2 4x8 stockpiles for food and finished goods.

* Floor over that murky pool to the south (that IS a murkuy pool, right?) and place a mason's workshop and a still there.

Okay, I think that should do it for now. I hope this is all clear.

[ April 12, 2008: Message edited by: Impending Doom ]

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2008, 10:48:00 pm »

If you want to be 100% sure I get your design right, draw it out in Dwarf Fortress and take a screenshot of it, or post the DF.ini code for DFcom and you can be sure it will be copied exactly (Down to the placement of floors, believe it or not. Though it kind of restricts you to the first available material. Since you have no materials for that though, it wouldn't do any good). Here is what I -Think- you are describing, and what will happen if I get no further input from you:
code:

OOOOOOOOOO
    O++++++++O
    O++++++++O
    O++++++++O
    O++++++++O
    O++++++++O
    O++++++++O
    O++++++++O
    O++++++++O
    OOOO++OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOO++++++O++O++O++O++O
O+++++O++<+++O++O++O++O++O
O+++++O+O++O+OO+OO+OO+OO+O
O++++++++++++++++++++++++O
O+++++O+O++O+OO+OO+OO+OO+O
O+++++O++++++O++O++O++O++O
OOOOOOO++++++O++O++O++O++O
     O++++++OOOOOOOOOOOOO
     O++++++O
     O++++++O
     O++++++O
     OO+OOOOO
     OO+OOOOO
      OOO

You currently do not have anything to actually get rid of murky pools (which yes, that is), however, the trader does have a stockpile of wood which you could trade your 145¤ for. Though since there is only 1 trader and in addition to supplying wood he has to do a lot of other things, don't expect more then 5 logs next season. Do you wish to buy 5 logs for 15¤?
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2008, 11:18:00 pm »

Yes, that's perfect.  :)

I guess I'll go for the wood, but use it for beds instead of floors.

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2008, 08:24:00 am »

Well now I thought I should post my plans.

code:

z-1
 ####
 #>>#
 #>>#
###..###
#......#
#..<...#
##.....#
#.....##
#.#..#.#
#.====.#
########

The stockpile here on z-1 will be a refuse stockpile that will not accept bones, shells or skulls.

code:

z-2
################
#=====#..#~~~~~#
#=====#..#~~~~~#
#=====....~~~~~#
#=====#..#~~~~~#
#====>#..#~~~~~#
#######..#######
     #XX#
     #XX#
     ####

On z-2 the left room is a food stockpile. The right room is a farm.

code:

z-3
################
#.....#..#.....#
#.WWW.#..#.WWW.#
#.WWW......WWW.#
#.WWW.#..#.WWW.#
#....<#..#.....#
###.###..###.###
#......XX......#
#......XX......#
###.###..###.###
#.....#..#.....#
#.....#..#.....#
#..............#
#.....#..#.....#
#.....#..#.....#
################

On z-3 the upper left room will contain a still. The upper right room will contain whatever workshop I need at the time. The bottom left room will be my temporary dining room. The bottom right room will be my barracks.

My plan will be:
1.) Dig this whole area out
2.) Set up a carpenters workshop in the workshop space
3.) Make 1 bed
4.) Set up the farm
5.) After I've planted the seeds I will switch the carpenters workshop with a masons workshop and make 1 chair, 1 table and then doors until the crops grow
5a) After the bed, table and chair are built I will put them in their respective rooms.
6.) When the crops grow I will plant any new seeds I have and then return to the workshop. Repeat until they start wilting on the fields. Then stop growing plants.
6a.) If I get 12 doors switch to brewing for a little while.

This should keep me busy until Immigrants come.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2008, 09:10:00 am »

Hmm. Looks like my digging is already complete. Guess I need to expand my designs / plans...

Expand the 6X6 room on the side of the stone stockpile in this manner:

the U stands for a furniture stockpile. the R is a refuse stockpile. the T is a mechanics workshop.

code:

OOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOO......O
OUUUUORRRRO......O
OOUUUUORRRRO......O
.OUUUUORRRRO......O
.OOO.OO.OOOOOO.OOOO
..............>O
..............>O
.OOO.OOOOOOOOOOO
.OTTTO
OOTTTO
OTTTO
OOOOO

Other orders I want processed during the next season:
Make 10 mechanisims. Make 2 doors and place one outside the refuse stockpile for obvious resions, the other outside the empty room above. Build 2 tables and 2 chairs and place them in the empty room above, then make it into a dining room. Smooth the walls and floors of one bedroom and the dining room. Whenever I can get my hands on wood I need two for beds =D

I think that's explicit enough for now. Later plans include excavating that red metal vein and rebuilding the wall of the bedroom but that can wait till my first immagrant.

DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

AlmostEverywhere

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2008, 09:30:00 am »

My digging's all done too... and I've lost some drink to thieving!  Looks like I'd better get farming.  Here's my new orders:

On z-1, dig a 2-wide passage for three tiles going south of the stockpiles (starting on the other side of those stairs).  End it in a 4x4 room, and fill this room with two 2x4 farms.  Set one of them to be year-round plump helmets (I'll use the other for pig tails later).

One the stone level, dig out a 3x3 area above and to the right of the stairs, and build a carpenter's workshop, build a bed, and put it in the bedroom.  From the masonry, build 2 doors (put them in the entrances to the bedroom & dining room), 1 chair & table (put them next to each other in the dining room), 1 cabinet, and 1 coffer (put them in the bedroom).  Assign the bedroom and dining room to Cobbles.  Build a couple stone floodgates for later.

Once all this is done and the plump helmets are sown (if the season isn't over yet!), go to the craftdwarf's shop and make 10 obsidian short swords.  If the obsidian runs low, expand the room's width by 4 or 5 tiles.

Finally, can I give general standing orders?  That is, if at any time Cobbles has finished doing everything I've said, just set him on repeat making stone crafts, toys, and instruments in the workshop, occasionally suspending them to do farming.

This is pretty fun!  I'm curious to see how it turns out!

[ April 13, 2008: Message edited by: AlmostEverywhere ]

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2008, 12:18:00 pm »

Standing Orders are perfectly fine, and very helpful. I'm gonna have to make a quick notepad for it so I don't loose track of them. Impending Doom, you are now officially in charge of the second fortress.

(Edit 1:
Impending Doom, you are just about out of work. To build beds, you need a carpenter's shop. I don't see any place that you specified where you want it. As a result, I am having you attack the Murky Pool.)

(Edit 2:
The Plump Helmets have been delivered (In Process, hit submit too soon. 1, 2, 3 are done. I expect to get 4, 5, and 6 done before season ends, but it might not be exact.)

(Edit 3: HA HA! I finally got Mekali's darn cat down where it belonged! Take that, Foolish cat!)

(Edit 4: Just caught this-
"After the bed, table and chair are built I will put them in their respective rooms." Where is their respective rooms? Also, everyone currently farming, you are aware that without barrels, the food will rot pretty quick, right? Fortresses of Miasma.)

[ April 13, 2008: Message edited by: Kogan Loloklam ]

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2008, 02:08:00 pm »

Oy, forgot about that. Yes, that's fine, go ahead.

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2008, 02:18:00 pm »

Holy carp, I just noticed that the soil layers are sand, which means that no trees will grow if I collapse the roof of my fortress. Is there really no way to use the surface ? Maybe if I build a pallisade around ?

Anyway, that puts my project on hold for the time being. Here is my digging project (rince and repeat on each level, the upward stairways are connected with the two downward stairways north of the main entrance)

code:

z-i   z-i-1:
OOOO  OOOO
O<<O>>O
O>>O  O<<O
OOOO  OOOO

Levels z-12 & z-14 are to be entirely mined out (whenever my food&booze stockpiles are full).

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2008, 02:31:00 pm »

Trees don't grow stuff? Someone should tell the grass and shrubs, whom are happily growing and seem to ignore the whole strike put up by trees.

(Edit: If it is the whole "Collapse" that causes it, I can make it so you dig out your fortress instead of collapse it. Building walls gets the trader involved, and will take a long time.)

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2008, 02:49:00 pm »

incase there isnt one already.. make mulch a food stock pile. as long as the plumps are in the stock pile, barrel or not, they shouldnt rot.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2008, 02:53:00 pm »

Mulch's food stockpile is at the bottom of the entryhall stairs, as instructed. He has a Craftsdwarf workshop built in your "workshop" along the north wall, starting on the fifth tile to the right of the top left corner and moving to the 7th. He has no farm. The level above that is a huge leather storage stockpile, the level above that is a huge refuse stockpile set to only accept skulls and bones.

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2008, 03:08:00 pm »

Alright well dig a another hall way coming out of the grand entrance hall thing...and when its done dig stairs up to the sand and make a farm in there. have him plant a bunch of stuff.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2008, 03:50:00 pm »

End of Summer. Stocks:
Martinelli's:
(No Farm)
1 Dwarven Ale + 1 Barrel
7 Turtle + 1 Barrel
5 Plump Helmet Spawn + 1 Barrel
2 Logs
83 Alunite
99+ Obsidian
76 Microline
8 Andesite
4 Rough Yellow Zircons
6 dogs MMMFFF
2 Puppies MM
3 cats MFF
3 Turtle Shell
3 Turtle Bones

Unnamed Group:
(No Unplanted Seeds. 5 Crops planted)
8 Turtle + 1 Barrel
6 Dwarven Beer + 2 Barrel
5 Logs
1 Turtle Bones
1 Turtle Shell

The Purple Cap:
(0 crop planted)
17 Dwarven Wine + 5 Barrel
10 Turtle + 1 Barrel
8 plump helmets + 1 Barrel
1 Copper Pick
8 Plump Helmet Spawn
1 pig tail rope
2 Dogs MF
2 Puppies MM
1 Cat M
Some furniture awaiting hauling (4 Unplaced doors, 2 Unplaced Tables, 1 Unplaced Chair)
76 Obsidian

Crashthunders:
(0 crop planted)
51 Dwarven Rum + 12 Barrels
58 Turtle + 6 Barrels
5 Plump Helmet Spawn
1 Turtle Bones
1 Turtle Shell
3 Microline
3 Obsidian
1 Andesite

Lamid Beravuz: (Edit: OOPs! 5 of those Plump Helmet spawn were pig tails. Fixed.)
(0 crop planted)
8 Dwarven Rum + 2 Barrel
5 Dwarven Ale + 1 Barrel
8 Turtle + 1 Barrel
5 Mule Meat + 1 Barrel
7 Plump Helmet Spawn (3 Still being hauled. They will show up by the end of early autumn)
5 Pig Tail Seeds + 1 Bag + 1 Barrel
2 Pig Tail Thread
2 Mule Leather
1 Tower Cap Barrel
1 War Dog F
9 Alunite
2 Obsidian

Unnamed Group: (5 Plump Helmet Spawn still owed from trader.)
(1 crop planted)
9 Plump Helmets + 1 Barrel
15 Turtle + 2 Barrel
21 Dwarven Beer + 6 Barrel
4 Logs
63 Obsidian
1 Dog F
4 Sweet Pod Seeds + 1 Bag
1 Bed
7 rock Doors
1 rock Table
1 rock Throne

(Edit: Small fixes to the inventory. I was wondering "what happened to cobble's pig tails. I counted them as plump helmets. Silly me.)

(Edit 2: The new Map is up.)

(Edit 3: I rearranged the Inventories so that food is on top. Mulch, you will be getting forign aid in the form of a small alcohol drop. I plan to build a sill in your workspace zone for you. Refining your design by drawing it in dwarf fortress and taking screenshots wouldn't hurt to making sure you have the fortress you want. Your farmland will be a 3x3 patch. I doubt you need any more then that and lacking guidelines I went with what I know will supply a single dwarf for a long time)

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2008, 04:35:00 pm »

You know, explaining this in pictures might be easyer..hm. how do I make one of those maps like that?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13