Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: Chaoschain(Hydra Fortress)  (Read 24390 times)

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
Re: Chaoschain(Hydra Fortress)
« Reply #135 on: April 17, 2008, 04:46:00 pm »

Svartamyrkur is doing it then, since I haven't gotten the immigrant order for the purple cap yet        :))

(Edit 3:
Impending Doom, Bad news and good news. Bad news first. You have 0 plump spawn and 2 plump helmet, going with your 0 drink. Your novice skill is doing you major wrong, as your seed stocks are shrinking. The traders can sell you another 5 plump helmet seeds if you wish. I would certainly get some trade deal going to fix your food/drink problem. One of those plumps is about to become 5 more Dwarven Wine and the seed planted. Likely nothing will grow from your poor skill. Now good news. You are now a legendary miner. You have gold ore, copper ore, some other odd ores, and tons of gems. I'm certain they could be traded to other forts, especially those worried about moods needing uncut and cut gems.

(Edit 4:
Jamini, I am having Roza finish all the smoothing before engraving the walls in the special room, since that will ensure some of those engravings will be masterwork, which I think you want for your special room. If I'm wrong let me know.

(Edit 5:
No human caravan so far as of midsummer. I suspect there won't be one this year

Midsummer Stocks:
Martinelli's:
99+ Obsidian
11 Andesite
76 Microcline
82 Alunite
4 Rough yellow Zircons
2 Logs
5 Shells
6 Bones
Plump Helmet + 1 barrel
2 Dwarven Wine + 1 barrel
4 Plump Helmet Spawn

MirroredAbbey:
99 Obsidian
19 Microcline
99 Alunite
1 Cobaltite
1 Native Aluminum
some copper nuggets
some rough yellow zircons
some rough prases
1 Barrel
3 Dwarven Wine + 1 Barrel
1 Plump Helmet + 1 Barrel
8 Bones
8 Shells

The Purple Cap:
16 Cloth + 2 Bin
2 Bag
3 Plump Helmet Spawn + 2 Bag
4 Logs
99 Obsidian
2 Obsidian Blocks
1 Microcline
3 Native Aluminum
66 Hematite
6 Obsidian Mechanisms
31 Stone Crafts
4 Obsidian Statues
5 Bones
5 Shells
23 Plump Helmets + 3 Barrel
9 Plump Helmet Biscuits + 1 Barrel
3 Turtle + 1 Barrel
5 Dwarven Wine + 1 Barrel
1 Barrel

Crashthunders The Doom of Trees:
37 Microcline
1 Obsidian
6 Andesite
6 Logs
3 Bones
3 Shells
42 Turtle Roast + 1 Barrel
7 Plump Helmet + 1 Barrel
2 Barrel
33 Dwarven Rum + 8 Barrel
34 Dwarven Wine + 9 Barrel

Lamid Beravuz:
15 Microcline
31 Obsidian
11 Microcline Blocks
11 Diorite
1 Donkey + 1 cage
1 Cougar + 1 cage
7 Dwarven Wine + 3 Barrel
1 Barrel
8 Turtle + 1 Barrel
1 Mule Meat + 1 Barrel
7 Plump Helmet + 1 Barrel
2 Mule Leather
9 Plump Helmet Spawn
5 Pig Tail Seeds + 1 Bag
2 Pig Tail Thread
10 Cloth + 1 bin
6 Obsidian Swords
56 Stone Crafts + 3 Bin (THANK YOU!)

Unnamed Group:
5 Logs
99 Obsidian
1 Alunite
3 Cobaltite
3 Barrel
7 Turtle + 2 Barrel
18 Plump Helmet + 2 Barrel
4 Dwarven Wine + 1 Barrel
4 Sweet Pod Seeds + 1 Bag + 1 Barrel + 1 Plump Helmet Spawn
6 Shell
6 Bone

(Edit 6: Map)

[ April 17, 2008: Message edited by: Kogan Loloklam ]

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 17, 2008, 07:52:00 pm »

I'll take the plump helmets, then.

Also, seeing as I'm already on good terms with Lamid Beravuz, what would you, AlmostEverywhere, be willing to trade for a few gems, or perhaps some gold ore?

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 17, 2008, 08:09:00 pm »

Wanna tell me what your immigrant preferences are this time? I am only providing immigrants to people who ask for them, and then only as many as are asked for. I imposed a limit of 3 this time, but by the next wave, most of them become "free immigrants" and free for anyone to grab. Map will be up shortly. You got 3 crops planted. I expect you to get 2 plump helmets out of it. Your luck has been rotten when it comes to farming.

[ April 17, 2008: Message edited by: Kogan Loloklam ]

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 17, 2008, 08:36:00 pm »

Well, it's a bit of a balancing act: on the one hand, if I get someone with good growing skills, I get more food. On the other hand, no matter who I get, they'll put more of a strain on the food supply. anybody got a high grower skill?
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 17, 2008, 09:18:00 pm »

I don't mind if you wait for my engraving skill to raise a bit, I suppose.

Also, after some consideration the floor hexes 1 square away from the edge of the walls can also be engraved and smoothed, the other 3x3 segment should be channeled away and made into a seperate room connected to the main shaft by it's own hallway.

You can smooth and engrave the walls and floor of that room entirely, again it would be preferrable for Rosa to work on this present for Cobbles while he sleeps.

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
« Reply #140 on: April 18, 2008, 06:28:00 am »

Ok, I'm here and I want those immagrants! =D

I'll take the Brewer/Herbalist pair. Assign the Herbalist to clothesmaking (or whatever it's called =p) and engraving in addition to his/her normal duties. I'll also take the legendary carpenter since it has yet to be called =D

Turn on archetecture for all three.
I will submit my floor plan for the bedroom floor as soon as I get some free time at work.
Good to see my farming finally paid off big. I'm willing to ship some plump helmets to Impending Doom in return for an equal price in ores.

[ April 18, 2008: Message edited by: DoctrZombie ]

DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

AlmostEverywhere

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 18, 2008, 08:27:00 am »

I think I'll take the clothier.  Let's see if we can get a textile industry going in addition to our stone.  I guess we're going to need to do a lot of digging.  Here's new orders to add on to the queue:

-Make another throne and table, and add them to the downstairs dining room.  Since it's getting smoothed and all, I've decided it might not be a bad idea to make it public.  Set it so no-one owns it, and move the other throne and table down there.  We'll expand the upstairs room later and use it as a well room/meeting hall once the aquaduct is done.

EDITED - I missed that Jamini had already started some clothing stuff on z-1 -

New plans
-Dig out some extra space on z-1 below the cloth stockpile like so:

code:

OOOO+OO+OO
O++++++++O
O+2++O+1+O
O++++O+++O
O++++OOO+O
O+3++4444O
O++++4444O
OOOOO4444O
   OOOOOO

1:  The current workshop (I think it's a farmers workshop?)
2 and 3:  A loom and clothier's shop (Assuming that is a farmer's workshop at (1), otherwise make 2 and 3 be the other 2 shops).
4:  Finished goods stockpile set to only accept cloth items

Disable cloth items from the finished goods stockpile on z-3 as well.

Have the clothier have weaving, clothesmaking, and plant processing (as well as all the hauling jobs) turned on, and queue up as many socks as he can manage.  Also, set that second farm to grow pig tails during whatever seasons we can (I think summer and autumn?)  Every once and a while, set a "Process Plants" job to repeat at the farmer's workshop.  If we run out of cloth, can I trade a bin of socks to the traders in exchange for a new bin of cloth plus however much currency the difference is worth?

Once this is dug out, then craft, craft, craft until we can pay back our debt we owe the traders!  Once we're back in the black and have enough crafts/socks to pay, I'd like to order another 6 logs for a bed and some bins.

@ Impending Doom:  I'm not sure how much I can spare what with taking on a new minion.  How about a couple of puppies?  Seems like an appropriate gift for a lover, and you don't need to tell Cobbles if you decide to live off dog meat roasts for a while.  I'll trade you 2 or 3 puppies for a similar value in rough gems.

@ Istrian:  If these socks pay off as well as I hope they will, I'll try to grab an axe from whatever caravan comes next.  I'll trade it to you for a bunch of wood... how about 30 logs, which you can pay in installments over the years as you chop down the trees?  (You don't need to give me the first 30 that grow obviously, I just want a slow trickle of wood for my fortress.)  I'll cover hauling costs.

Who's been doing our farming so far, Roza or Cobbles?  Either way, good job to them!  We're almost at the point where we can start trading food to other fortresses!

Hey, did that stairway always go so far down?  And where'd my pick go?  Geez, I hope I haven't started sleep-mining again.  Well, I'm sure it's nothing to worry about...

[ April 18, 2008: Message edited by: AlmostEverywhere ]

[ April 18, 2008: Message edited by: AlmostEverywhere ]

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 18, 2008, 10:32:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by AlmostEverywhere:

<STRONG>I'll trade you 2 or 3 puppies for a similar value in rough gems.
</STRONG>

I'll take it. Would you be willing to accept, say, 4 Rough Zircons for your offer?

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 18, 2008, 10:52:00 am »

Are two of those unskilled peasants still free ? I'll grab'em then (named 'Three' and 'Four' until...bla...bla...bla).

Deactivate plant gathering on whoever had it before. Also, whenever I get seeds that grow aboveground, please deactivate cooking for them.

'Three' :
- Food hauling
- Plant gathering
- Farming <fields>

'Four' :
- Masonry
- Stone detailing
- Architecture

My order to gather all shrubs at the beginning of each season still stands. Whenever I have 10 units of an edible aboveground crop, I'll claim that crop as my fort's exclusivity.
Once that has been selected, buils a 4x4 farm plot somewhere in the newly collapsed area and plant these seeds there for the whole year.

To be built on level 5 of the DFMA map (anything not on this map is a wall, the level is to be smoothed) I know I don't have the furniture yet, these are just placeholders for later:

code:

O = Wall        1 = The Lord's office
+ = Floor       2 = The Lord's sleeping room
>< = Stairs     3,4,5,6 = The Lord's squires' sleeping rooms
C = Throne      B = Bed
D = Door        F = Coffer
H = Cabinet     S = Statue

OOOOOOOOOOOO
O++++CC++++O
OO++++1+++OO
OO++++++OO
 OO++++OO
  OO++OOOOO
   ODDOOOFOO
   O++OO+++OO
   O++O+++++OO
   O++D++2++BO
   O++O+++++OO
   O++OO+++OO
  OO++OOOHOO
  OS++SOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  OODDOOH++++OH++++O
  O++++O+3+B+O+4+B+O
  O++++OF++++OF++++O
  O++++OODOOOOODOOOO
  +O++O+++++++++++++
  ++>>++++++++++++++
  ++<<++++++++++++++
  +O++O+++++++++++++
  O++++OODOOOOODOOOO
       OH++++OH++++O
       O+5+B+O+6+B+O
       OF++++OF++++O
       OOOOOOOOOOOOO

@AlmostEverywhere : Sounds like a fair offer. I accept unless someone can give me a better price before that axe is delivered to me. Of course you do realise that it takes almost three years for a tree to grow to cuttable state, so fulfilling my part of the agreement could take at least 10-12 years.

BTW, if anyone is requesting minionship, he can claim one of the numbered dwarves in my fortress. The first to be claimed will be my squire.

[ April 18, 2008: Message edited by: Istrian ]

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
« Reply #144 on: April 18, 2008, 01:48:00 pm »

~~~~~
Mekali wiped the sweat from his brow, dropping another large, juicy purple mushroom into the basket set beside him. Truely the soil beneth the earth only gave its bounty to those who wrung it out with their bare hands. Why, the surface soil sprouted plants without any gardenting at all. To Mekali, that made the sweet, bulbous mushroom for which his tiny plot of land was named that much more precious. Like any good dwarven work the toil made the fruit that much more pleasant.

As he brought his haul down to the food stores, he gazed out to the bright sunlight which filtered in through the only hallway out of his fortress home, listening to the sounds of the trade guild bustle upon the surface. He set his basket down for a moment when he saw the familiar outline of a hanging basket, a sure sign that he had mail. The package was larger this time, and he raced down to the lower levels without his day's work, which he forgot amongst the excitement.

"I think it's a grand idea!" remarked Svartamyrkur who tilted his stone chair against the walls of the dining room, which for now was much larger than either of them needed it to be. "By the King's law no plot of land smaller than 475 cubic dwarven D'karsi can have 200 of the same seed, spore, or nut, for fear of repeating the catastrophy that occured at DeronFeruge.

Makali knew of the disaster... Over one hundred dwarves died of starvation because they were too busy counting their hordes of seeds to remember planting them... When the scouts arrived next spring to find out what had happened they found dwarves dead in the halls with empty bellies, and mushrooms sprouting from every crack and crevice in the place.

"Aye. Splitting the seed crop between each fortress would be madness. If we vote for exclusivity..certain crops only held by specific forts... well that would make the crop totally ours. We could regulate it and use it as we wished." Mekali held the ballot in his hands, still dirty from farming earlier that day.

"The Purple Cap will vote yes for crop exclusivity, with the exceptions of Plump Helmets and Pig Tails." He wrote as he spoke, for emphasis. As he returned to the mail basket, the sun burning his eyes, a thought occured to him.

Not all crops that we need grow below the surface. Some need the sunlight too.. I will have to collapse part of the cavern so that I can grow the surface crops...
~~~~~

I'll rig up the plans for the collapse later, but I will definately be using a support-collapse trigger to keep my precious dwarves safe.

DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 18, 2008, 04:16:00 pm »

Wow, start it a little late today and it's a real active morning at that.

**Immigrant Issues***

Everybody, anyone who doesn't take immigrants has until the next wave of immigrants to take the amount allocated. After that, they become "free" immigrants. Next round anyone can grab as much as they want of the old immigrants, and the standard 1/6th of the new immigrants.
That means one fortress might have quite a large army here soon    :)

**CROPS**
2 votes for exclusivity, 2 abstainations, 2 unknowns.

This is enough for me to consider it a fact. Crop Exclusivity kicks in. You all can argue over what seeds you want. Some crops, such as Plump Helmets and Pig Tails will be exempt. The Traders do have some sun berries, and I see a potential future problem with that. As such, to fix that right now...

MirroredAbby, in the style of all fictional abbys everywhere, are now known for their sun berry wine. That is, if they can farm a single blade of the stuff. Only they are authorized to grow it. They are free to trade their exclusivity away, but they are granted it for now.

(Edit 1: Is this the proper design DoctrZombie? (the walls will not be constructed until you tell me to, but that is how I am interpreting your design.)
 :) Istrian, strife has become your "four" in skillset. He has novice or better skill in gem setting, wood cutting, and mining as well, but they are all turned off for the time being.

[ April 18, 2008: Message edited by: Kogan Loloklam ]

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2008, 05:28:00 pm »

Welcome, strife, to Crashthunders the Doom of Trees. I'm sure you'll have a pleasant time here. If you intend to walk around level z-1, make sure you wear a helmet at all times as rockfalls are quite frequent. If you have any requests or suggestions, feel free to tell me.

For now, you have until I'm done with the living quarters to familiarize yourself with the layout.

Have fun, Squire.

(I need a mason's workshop built at level z-13, anywhere will do. A dozen statues have to be produced there)

[ April 18, 2008: Message edited by: Istrian ]

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 18, 2008, 05:40:00 pm »

I liked your post, DoctrZombie. But if I remember correctly, I asked that Svartamyrkur be as depressed a personality as possible. In fact, Svartamyrkur means black darkness literally, though the black part is just there to emphasize how dark it is.

Can I see Svartamyrkur's profile? I can't even remember it's gender.

Anyway, maybe I'll try to do something similar to DoctrZombie's post there.

[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 18, 2008, 05:45:00 pm »

:) You can always physically count things that aren't stored in a bin on the uploaded map

Martinelli's:
Food: Low  (Lack of Seeds)
Drink: Low (Lack of Barrels)
Seeds: Low
Trade Goods: Some rough gems exist
Available Construction Materials:
2 Logs
99+ stones

MirroredAbbey:
Food: Critical (It is all on the vine)
Drink: Critical (No Available food to brew from)
Seeds: Critical (Until the plants are eaten/brewed, there is none.)
Trade Goods: Some special ores, some rough Gemstones
99+ stones
some precious ores
some copper ores

The Purple Cap:
Food: Plentiful
Drink: Critical (only 1 barrel available. Stockpile reorganization strongly recommended)
Seeds: Low (all planted)
Trade Goods: Plentiful, advise binning them for easy transport
99+ Stone
2 Blocks
Some Iron ore

Crashthunders The Doom of Trees:
Drink: Plentiful
Seeds: Switched to Wild Strawberry, seeds are plentiful thanks to extra dump from trade group
Trade Goods: None
99+ Stone
6 Logs

Lamid Beravuz:
Food: Low
Drink: Critical (Roza doesn't prioritize this very highly, and is your brewer. I force her to fix it as I notice it.)
Seeds: Plentiful, (Roza is your farmer, same problem as with drinks.)
Trade Goods: Plentiful, 3 bins worth over 1000 each
99+ stone

Unnamed Group:
Drink: Critical (Barrels! Reorganize your stockpiles.)
Seeds: Low
Trade Goods: None
5 Logs
99+ Stone

after the map is up I'm going to go lay my head down. I might not run it tomorrow since I am not feeling well at all.

Map

[ April 18, 2008: Message edited by: Kogan Loloklam ]

AlmostEverywhere

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 18, 2008, 09:22:00 pm »

Ooh, lots of trade goodies.  And we've got at least 3000 worth to trade, eh?  Sweet.  That axe is way pricier than I thought it would be.  Istrian, I might have to ask for more logs in exchange for it.  Okay, here's what I want to buy(when you're feeling better, of course):

-At least 2-3 barrels of their booze.  If no one else wants booze, I'll take it all, and in any event I'll take whatever is left unclaimed.
-The axe
-A bag of dimple cup spawns (someday we'll be dying our clothes!)
-A pick(now we can dig out stuff super fast!
-A bin of cloth, preferably one with some (non-GCS) silk in it, otherwise pig tail cloth is fine
-At least one barrel, all of them if no one else takes one
-5 stacks of meat
-Heck, we can afford it, a stack of cheese
-If unclaimed, another, let's say, 8 stacks of meat

I'd also like to buy, say, 15 more wood logs from the traders when you get a chance.  We'll make 3 more beds, 5 more bins, 6 barrels, and a bucket from them.

Well, that'll keep us going for a while!  Are there any more minions left?  We can certainly take on one more.  Oh, let's put a couple beds in the ex-dining room on z-1 and turn it into a barracks (new minions should get a bed to sleep in when they come in, if not their own room right off the bat).  Also, is that red stuff on level 6 cinnabar or is it some kind of ore?

Don't worry about taking a couple days off, Kogan.  I'm completely astounded that you've kept this going at this pace so far.  I hope you feel better!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13