Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: Chaoschain(Hydra Fortress)  (Read 24393 times)

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chaoschain(Hydra Fortress)
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2008, 12:56:00 pm »

quote:
5 Pig Tail Seeds + 2 Plump Helmet Spawn + 1 barrel + 1 Bag

This concerns me.

Orders
1.Please set up a garbage dump next to the farms, order all of the seeds dumped (Look at the barrel with K, then select the bag that contains the seeds and order them dumped, also do so with all of the seeds).

2.Remove the option for seeds from all food stockpiles

3.Make a stockpile that only accepts seeds next to the farms and do not allow barrels in it.

We can then use that barrel for booze, which is preferrable to the non-rotting seeds.

Speaking of Booze, we have a still right? If so I'll brew up four barrels worth next time we run out... if we run out.

Kogan, I sent you a PM. If you could send a reply to my inquiry it would be nice.

Edit: Don't forget to unforbid the seeds after they get dumped.

[ April 16, 2008: Message edited by: Jamini ]

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2008, 12:56:00 pm »

DoctrZombie, when you get home from work today, test your lever setup. I am very confident only 1 of those pressure plates are needed, and the second one will cause a mass fortress flood, lever or no. Since the Aqueduct isn't fluid yet, you have time to test. The levers and pressure plates are connected to the flood gate now. It is ready to go.

(Edit 1:
Jamini: Your reply awaits.
I have made the seed changes you have requested.   :) You might want to consider a complete overhaul of the stockpiles in general. You see, I did as I was told, and "#'s should be split up into stockpiles for food, cloth/thread/leather, and wood (split them up however you want)" was taken to heart, which was turn both sides into an identical stockpile, containing ALL those items   :) What was easiest is how I split up stockpiles when not paticularly specified. Good stockpile setup can make a large difference in fortresses, as seen in Crashthunders, whose stockpiles for food/booze is the most efficient in the area.)

(Edit 2: Istrian is now a legendary miner.)

[ April 16, 2008: Message edited by: Kogan Loloklam ]

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2008, 01:59:00 pm »

Hmm...

Dig out z -4 as an exact copy of z -2, but tap the magma in the exact centers of the four rooms to the north(that's allowed, right? Is magma free, or does it cost points?)

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2008, 02:18:00 pm »

I don't understand what you are referring to in tapping the magma in the exact center of the rooms.
If you connect to the magma system where it connects to your fortress at z -4, then you end up flooding your fortress with magma. You want to connect a tunnel to the area where the magma comes from at Z -4 but have your workshops on 3. That is the way to prevent flooding 4 with magma.

A good way to do that is making a downramp at the place you want magma to set below the fortresses and tunneling to the magma source.

I'm holding off on executing those digging commands yet until I am sure that this is what you want.

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2008, 02:24:00 pm »

Oh, I see. When you said that the magma was on z -4, I thought you meant that that's where we could tap into it.

Okay, execute those exact same plans on z -3 instead of z -4. Connect the rooms to the magma with two long pipes running north-to-south.
However, before you actually breach the magma, retrieve the stone from within the tunnels by dumping it in one of the vacant bedrooms on z -1.

[ April 16, 2008: Message edited by: Impending Doom ]

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2008, 02:48:00 pm »

Impending Doom, Since you have no other tasks assigned and it appears you want the magma ready before anyone else, I am going to use you to setup the magmaducts. Don't worry, there is no danger, it just makes it quicker to have it ready. It still won't be activated for a season or two even after all the digging is done, since I have to go down and dig a channel inside the magma pool cavern to get it activated anyway, and the Aqueduct takes priority over that.

(Edit 1: The reward for this is that as much of the stone as you want out of there will be given to you. It's a lot of stone.

[ April 16, 2008: Message edited by: Kogan Loloklam ]

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2008, 02:53:00 pm »

Ooh, I like.  :D

You'll have to tell me what you come across, and I'll say what I want.

Hmm. I'll probably have to make plans for some stockpile space for it all.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2008, 02:56:00 pm »

I would like to add two Bauxite Stones to our list of imports, wherever we find them and whenever they are ready. They will be useful if we do find any ore in  Lamid Beravuz for making a safe passageway to the magma. (Especially if a future release includes fluid pressure for magma.)

As for stocks... well...

Dig out the four hexes directly below the farms for a seed stockpile, like I mentioned before. Set the current top-left stockpile to accept only drinks and half of our barrels, and set the top-right stockpile to accept all other foodstuffs(but not pig tails!) and the other half of our barrels.

On level z-2 carve out two separate 3x3 rooms north of the hall leading to the main entryway. In the left one place a still and in the right one place a kitchen. On the south side carve out a 3x5 room next to my own and place a farmer's workshop and a stockpile that accepts only thread, cloth, and pig tails. Once that is completed extend another 3x3 room below it and make a clothier's shop.

On level z-3 make a 3x3 wood stockpile to the east of the furniture stockpile, and a 3x3 bone/shell/skull only stockpile to the east of the finished goods stockpile.

Also, when Cobbles sleeps have Rosa steal his pick and mine a shaft going to the second lowest Z-level. Once there she will carve out a 5x5x. Once done she will return the pick and smooth+engrave the walls (not the floor! just the walls!) of the chamber.

As for standing orders, have Rosa continue working in the carpenter's workshop. She should make a few bins (After everything else is done!) and do a little work farming and brewing in order to get our stockpiles full enough to support us for some time. After that she should return to smoothing the walls Lamid Beravuz.

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2008, 03:06:00 pm »

Jamini, you already have a still located next to the carpenter's workshop, as per Almosteverywhere's instructions. Do you still want another still? Or do you want me to move the current one?

I will be acting as if you want it still, since it makes sense to have it there to me anyway, and it can always be deconstructed.

The 6 wood hasn't been delivered yet. As soon as it has, 2 of it is going to cobble's handles so he can finish his 10 obsidian swords, 1 for your bed. The rest will go to bins.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2008, 03:12:00 pm »

Only one still is neccecary, and I would prefer it close to the plant stockpile/farms/dining room. So yes, destroy the one on Z-3 and keep with building one on Z-2.

Herm, cooking some of our near-rotten food might not be a bad idea either. Except the turtles (shells are more valuable than turtle meat :/). I take it Cooking Dwarven Wine is turned off for all fortresses?

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2008, 03:18:00 pm »

yes, I turned off cooking any alcoholic drink.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2008, 03:26:00 pm »

Well, excuse me for having more concerns to tend to than little Svartamyrkur.

I don't actually have much to do. But still, for the sake of free will, I'd like to, uhhh, make stone toys instead of crafts? Oh, I know! Dig out a 5x5 room somewhere, smooth it and make four statues to put into the corners. Eventually, I have more plans for it, but that'll wait until the fortress is more established(ie, has magma).

[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2008, 03:40:00 pm »

Hmm

according to my research the z-1 level, being where the water is based from, won't flood. the water will stay on the z-2 level at 7/7 and not come up the channel.

Remove the pressure plates, but keep the lever for emergencies in case I am wrong (One plate triggering only at 7/7 didn't work at all...unless I messed up)

anyway--if the z-1 level begins to flood, pull the lever. I suppose that will be my only line of defence against catastrophy but if my research is right I won't need it.

DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2008, 03:46:00 pm »

Am I A Minnon Of A Fort?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2008, 03:54:00 pm »

Strife: Not currently.

DoctrZombie: You are correct, it shouldn't flood. As for the pressure plate, to make it work from my understanding, it "triggers" (Reverses) the setup of what it is attached to when it is in the position. So when the water gets to 7 of 7 exactly, it would reverse the status of the object it is attached to (eventually)
That means the floodgate would have to be open when it links up to close it.

That's based on the info on the Wiki

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13