Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Adilmezum, Flight from Evil (Community Fortress)  (Read 3835 times)

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adilmezum, Flight from Evil (Community Fortress)
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 05:48:00 pm »

O shit.  Hehe.  Are you embarking on the same region with the hydra by any chance?
t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 12:13:00 am »

Well, damn... Just read up on those ender goblins... Ya... Best of luck... I would like to hop on board but I got here too late sadly. I'll wait for the immigrant wave before I spam you with what I want  :) Seriosuly though, best of luck Frelock, if you can pull this off you may get in the books of legendary Dwarf Fortress Players. (If you do so with your original seven intact it upgrades to +4 legendary)
GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 05:37:00 pm »

I sure hope I live.  I'd be pissed if I died.  I've actually devised a cunning, foolproof way to deal with the ender goblins.  It's fantastic but will be a little hard to detail.
t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 06:34:00 pm »

This sounds cool-sign me up the next Military Dwarf that immigrates. You know to survive your going yo have to train pretty much every Dwarf in the fortress for battle, all armored etc.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 06:39:00 pm »

And don't worry.  If you, for whatever reason, happen to fail miserably I shall avenge you.  (try to avoid savescumming to stay alive please)

[ June 06, 2008: Message edited by: Ghostpaw ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2008, 06:39:00 pm »

Against ender goblins, you're going to be in a pretty nasty place if you try to take them on with your military.  That's why I'm here.  I design the most gruesome and effective traps this side of Grapehelmets, and I know how to set them up in quick time.  You can't fight these creatures face-to-face, you have to skewer them with a repeating spike hallway, and a few blender traps thrown in for good measure.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2008, 06:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Against ender goblins, you're going to be in a pretty nasty place if you try to take them on with your military.  That's why I'm here.  I design the most gruesome and effective traps this side of Grapehelmets, and I know how to set them up in quick time.  You can't fight these creatures face-to-face, you have to skewer them with a repeating spike hallway, and a few blender traps thrown in for good measure.</STRONG>

My idea is neater...  Also don't Ender goblins have trap avoid?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2008, 06:51:00 pm »

Doesn't make them any less resistant to ten steel spikes in the foot at ninety thrusts a minute.  Same goes for drawbridges, lever-activated pits and engineered cave-ins.

In fact, since they have the buildingdestroyer tag (don't they?), there's a chance that they will trigger certain cave-in traps by themselves.  Give them a support to tear down, and place a few tons of solid rock on top of it.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2008, 07:16:00 pm »

((Ok, this time we're starting with the right version, in the right biome.  It's still on the map with the hydra and the cave, which might make fortress design a bit interesting.  It's also got magma, and a chasm visible in the south-east.  No water though; hope there's an underground river, though I'm not expecting any dwarves to get injured...yet.))

1st Granite, 1051
This is the official record of the outpost, Adilmezum.  Perhaps a better term would be refugee camp.  All of us here have fled from the mountainhomes, which were destroyed by the vicious Ender goblins.  But more of that later.  I am Kenothen, and have been appointed Bookkeeper, Manager, and Broker.

Our "boss" is the ranger Agercus.  I recognize him as a good leader, and he and I have become fast friends.  I am very grateful to him since he allowed me to take on the bookkeeping work, though, honestly, he has no head for reading, writing, or organizing.

We have two extremely intelligent minds among our lot.  One was the Grand High Engineer at his home (or so he claims).  His name is Thurin Oilspit.  Where he got the name, I'm not sure, but I bet I'll find out soon.  He is well liked by all, and good friends with a majority of our crew.

The other genius among us is the Weapons Researcher, Arkaim.  He enjoys building big, destructive things.  If the goblins find us, I think he will be our best hope at defeating them, though Thurin has some unorthodox ideas...

We also have a resident metalsmith who is named Orycteropus.  The only woman among us, she can still out drink all the men.  She is great at crafting fine arms and armor, and I think she will be a great asset to our community.

I was shocked to find that there was still a military dwarf alive after the attacks by the Goblins.  SirPenguin was once a general, but was lucky enough to be knocked unconscious at the time of the attack on his home.  How he got out, I don't think we'll ever know, though his prodigious mining skills probably helped.

We also have another dwarf who is very familiar with stone.  Dresdor is an excellent mason, though he likes statues a bit too much.  He was also in the military, as a hammerdwarf, but he had retired and so doesn't have any equipment.

And such in the composition of our tattered group.  We will start an outpost, hidden from the prying eyes of the evil goblins, and it shall be a beacon of hope for those dwarves who still roam the countryside.  Hence we have decided that our group will be known as The Lone Lantern, and this place of both secrecy and safety will be called Adilmezum, Walledsmoke.  Here, we strike the earth!

((Actually, I'm not really planning to get traps and everything set up right away.  First, wall the dwarves in at the first sign of ambush.  Second, set up all kinds of traps, and make a really cool "Battle Hall" which will hopefully include several ballistas, numerous places for archers, areas for formations of dwarves to "ready" themselves and more.  Getting all this set up will take quite a bit of time, and if the goblins come before the first migrants, then Orycteropus will have to become the mother of all dwarves (hopefully).  Hence the shortened childhood.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know of a free image editor that doesn't distort the images like paint does?))

[ June 06, 2008: Message edited by: Frelock ]

All generalizations are false....including this one.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2008, 07:25:00 pm »

I use MSPaint for all of my images.  Try saving them as PNG files.  Those don't have the artifacting issues that jpegs do.  If you want something more robust I'd point you in the direction of The Gimp.  I've never been a fan, but I know a lot of friends and coworkers with actual artistic ability that swear by it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2008, 07:31:00 pm »

GIMP can be a pain to work with, but if you can figure out how it works and how to make it do what you want it to do, it's just as good as any professional program like Photoshop or Microsoft's image editor.  I've used it for a few things, but I don't really know hot to use it.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2008, 07:34:00 pm »

Thanks, saving it as a PNG seems to work.  I'll get the updated images uploded in a sec...

Shoot, the cropping didn't work.  I'll meddle around with it some more.

Alright, the images should be working now.  Please excuse my ineptness with screenshots.

[ June 06, 2008: Message edited by: Frelock ]

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2008, 09:05:00 pm »

Hehe.  How incredibly convient that I, the siege engineer, like ballista arrows.  In case you don't know ballistas shoot through all targets, never stop until they hit a wall that is not fortified, and the more skilled the operator is the straiter they shoot.  So you can make a very long weaving hallway with all the walls that make the twisting path fortified and fill it with spear traps with skilled ballista operators at the end.  When the ender goblins come they should be swiftly filled with more holes than swiss cheese.  Maybe station some dogs at the end to alert to any ambushes.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2008, 09:07:00 pm »

I see what you did here. She is the only female dwarf and "I think she will be a great asses to our community."  Hehehe.  Anyways what does my last name translate too?  I'm curious.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2008, 10:05:00 pm »

Actually, I did no such thing, you just have a perverse mind.  And your name translates to "Cavecopper," it says so on your profile (at the top).

:o Akk, you were right; didn't see that...editing now to what I meant, asset.  Oh my, this is so embarassing *face turns red*  No offense meant to any lady readers out there (or Aardvark).  Sorry about that, and I take back my comment about your mind...

On a different note, there'll be no update until tomorrow, I'm afraid.  Nothing special to report as of yet.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 11:43:36 pm by Frelock »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4