Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Adilmezum, Flight from Evil (Community Fortress)  (Read 3833 times)

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
Adilmezum, Flight from Evil (Community Fortress)
« on: June 04, 2008, 05:40:00 pm »

So I’ve been thinking about starting a community fort for some time now, and had decided to wait until the army arc came out.  However, when I saw Umiman’s Ender Goblins, I decided to start a fort with the express purpose of defeating an Ender Goblin siege.  This is the result.  A battered group of 7 dwarves, brought together by fate, will attempt to survive and eventually strike back at the pinnacle of goblin evil.  

The only modifications I’ve made, other than the goblin mod itself, is to increase dwarven reproduction rates by removing the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag, shortening the time dwarves spend as children to 2 years (they still have one year as a baby), and removing a few “useless stones” such as alunite.  Other than that, it’s vanilla.

So, who else has escaped the destruction of the Mountainhomes?  There are six spots.  Please state your names and occupations.

[ June 04, 2008: Message edited by: Frelock ]

All generalizations are false....including this one.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Adilmezum, Flight from Evil (Community Fortress)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 05:45:00 pm »

Thurin Oilspit, Grand High Engineer

Proficient Mechanic
Proficient Building Designer

Bring along some trap components (wooden ones are fine) for him to set up.  It will be his goal in life to create as many powerful and destructive traps as possible, even if they happen to be in strange places or use unconventional methods (see the "pit trap" thread for one of his early defense systems).

Aardvark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 06:19:00 pm »

Orycteropus
Armour and weapon smith both max

Make sure he likes Iron and armour or weapons, Iron is the most important one.

[ June 05, 2008: Message edited by: Aardvark ]

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 07:51:00 pm »

Agercus

Animal Caretaker
Trapper
Ambusher
Any military skill

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 08:34:00 pm »

SirPenguin

Miner/Wrestler

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 10:33:00 pm »

Dresdor has a death wish:

Profession: Mason/Hammerdwarf

Likes Statues!

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 10:40:00 pm »

Arkaim

siege operator maxed
siege engineer maxed (not sure if this is the exact name.  It's the profession that makes siege engine parts.)

t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 10:42:00 pm »

Nice!

Thor, male.

Smith, so put 5 in furnace operating (if no magma put 2 in wood burning and 3 into furnace operating) and put 2 in armor and weapon smith each and one in metal crafting.

So;
No magma:
Furnace Operating 3
Wood Burning 2
Armor Smithing 2
Weapon Smithing 2
Metal Crafting 1

Magma:
Furnace Operating 5
Armor Smithing 2
Weapon Smithing 2
Metal Crafting 1

[ June 04, 2008: Message edited by: Emperor_Jonathan ]

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 11:58:00 pm »

Sorry, Jonathan, Ghostpaw beat you to the punch.  If some immigrants survive, I'll make sure you get one.

-----------------------------------------------------------

It was terrible; goblins had attacked the Mountainhomes.  These were not the ordinary goblins of old tales, who had been defeated time and time again.  No, these were Ender Goblins, the destroyers of worlds.  Each one stood as tall as a mountain, and nothing could stand against their might.

They had come during the middle of the day, unafraid of the dwarven defenses.  The first line of traps they had passed through with ease, avoiding all the cages, weapons, and falling stones which were supposed to keep the fortress safe.  It was as if they knew where every trap was.  And then the military had been sent out in a rush.  Not a single dwarf who went forth to face the titanic monsters had survived.  Bolts merely bounced off their skin, swords slid harmlessly across their hides, and even the finest armor could not prevent the brutes from incinerating the slow with their fiery breath.  

The civilians inside had watched with terror as their loved ones were all viciously killed.  These were champions, trained from their youth to fight, and yet they were slaughtered like new recruits.  In a panic, levers were pulled, and the drawbridge rose.  That didn’t stop the green terrors, who simply flew over the moat filled with water, and bashed down the outer doors to the fortress.  Now the citizenry were completely stricken by fear.  They pulled the final lever, meant to flood the entryway with magma.  Even this could not deter the monsters; they waded through the molten rock without even flinching.  The inner doors were bashed down, and chaos ensued.

Some frantic miner had dug an escape tunnel while the opposite half of the fortress was being slaughtered.  It quickly became jammed by the press of dwarves seeking to flee from what seemed an inevitable doom.  Kenothen had been one of the lucky ones, able to get through before the impromptu exit was discovered by the invaders.  He had run blindly, away from his home, from everything he had known and loved.  When exhaustion finally overtook him, he found himself alone in the wilderness.

After days of traveling, drinking nothing but pond water and eating nothing but vermin, Kenothen saw the faint glow of a campfire during the night.  Peering out from the bushes, he saw six dwarves huddled around the fire, and looking around nervously.  Kanothen smelled the wonderful aroma of turtles being cooked, and, his stomach overcoming his fear, walked out into the open.

The other dwarves were startled at first, but when they saw that it was a fellow refugee, they welcomed him with open arms.  They shared stories which were all too familiar, each driven out of his or her home by the Ender Goblins.  As it turned out, there was an abandoned wagon with a good amount of supplies nearby.  They could use it to survive, for a time.

And so began the history of Adilmezum, Walledsmoke.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 01:36:00 am »

[ June 05, 2008: Message edited by: Frelock ]

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 03:45:00 am »

Its' fine, but when you do get them put my dwarf as military, perferably marksdwarve but any military is fine.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 10:57:00 am »

I'll take a male migrant or a dwarf-child!

Name: Dogur
Profession: Brewer

DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 11:03:00 am »

This ought to be good. I'd like a recruit of any type. Name him Rice.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 11:08:00 am »

As someone who wants to take The Goblin Challenge too, I wish you godspeed in destroying the menace.  

You seem backlogged with requests at the moment, so I'll hold off on making one until some of the Dwarves die (and based on those Ender's, I'm sure some will).  I'll be eagerly watching this unfold, though!

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 03:26:00 pm »

Kenothen looked up; his fellow dwarves were preparing their morning meal.  They had discussed building a new home for themselves, on this very spot.  The wagon was filled with wood, drinks, and meat, all of which would be extremely useful.  Kenothen slid out from his blanket, and walked over for breakfast.

Suddenly, to the north, there was a monstrous screeching and howling.  Charging down at them from the hill was a giant hydra, its seven heads snapping in anticipation of a meal.  The dwarves had tried to flee, but there was a cliff behind them, and the hydra in front of them.  It was hopeless.  

Dresdor was the first to go, charging at the beast wielding an imaginary hammer.  The beast's tail swung about, and bashed him in the side.  The monster held the poor dwarf with his foot while the first head proceeded to rip and tear at the dwarf's stunned body.  Dresdor regained consciousness just in time to let out a scream before the jaws ripped out his throat.

Next, the beast caught Arkaim with its second head.  Arkaim wiggled and squirmed, but could not break free of the creatures grip.  His death was far quicker, as the second mouth quickly closed around his head, bit it off, and swallowed it, skull and all.

At nearly the same time, the third head tore Orcteropus's legs out from under him.  Slowly, the terrible beast worked its way up the body, with the poor dwarf screaming and waving his arms until he finally died of blood loss.

The rest of the dwarves were determined not to be taken down as easily as the first three.  SirPenguin, who had practice wrestling, was dodging the remaining heads as they snapped at him.  Agercus was at his side, dodging and trying very hard to get a grip somewhere on the creature.  Thurin grabbed a wooden giant corkscrew, and was trying to get behind the creature.  Kenothen had his axe, and though he had never used it in combat before, he still swung at the swaying necks with all his might.

However, the fight proved futile.  The fourth head noticed Thurin, and tore out his gut.  The fifth and sixth heads, working together, caught SirPenguin and Agercus between them and while one distracted, the other bit off limbs until both dwarves were too tired to put up any more of a fight.  Kenothen, the last remaining, fell into the same trap as Dresdor.  As the seventh head looked down upon the tremulous dwarf pinned beneath his foot, Kenothen couldn't help but think, "Seven dwarves, seven heads; oh, the irony."  The beast lunged.

----------------------------------------------------------

Kenothen's eyes flew open; he was breathing heavily.  He tried to recall where he was.  There had been a hydra, and the others...  He looked around, the others were all still asleep on the ground, the fire reduced to coals.  It had just been a dream.  Still, Kenothen lay awake the rest of the night, wanting more than ever to be safe, underground.

((So, yea, I finally got a group together, and they were slaughtered by a local hydra who was right next to where they spawned.  Apparently, there's also a cave at this location.   :D  This will be interesting.  I saved scummed and will start again on a different biome.  Glad to see there's so much interest in this.  I'll try to get everyone a dwarf if possible; hope that the migrants survive.))

[ June 05, 2008: Message edited by: Frelock ]

Pages: [1] 2 3 4