Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Succession Game - The Museum  (Read 12730 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Succession Game - The Museum
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2008, 07:17:00 am »

Mmm.  Uploading from India to a Russian server.  That sounds fun, especially since the power has been going out every few moments.

And I've always found the first year or so to be the hardest to document with any real creativity.  Basically, it's "I dug a hole and sat in it for a few months.  And then the merchants arrived".   First year is all work and no play, which makes Urist a dull boy.

Okay, so that's all just an excuse because I forgot to write anything while I was going through.  I figured I'd write a summary of the year as a single log entry, once I get the file set up.

And no, I don't speak Russian or read Cyrillic.  I'll see if I can still find my way around though...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2008, 08:43:00 am »

Curator's log, Humphrey Rithoth

At last!  I've finally found the logbook.  The trip here was most unpleasant, and certain items were "lost" along the way, including my beardicure set which I swear was snatched by that damn peasant we had load us up with supplies in the last town we stopped at.  I never trusted him, not for a moment.

Ah, but to dwell on such the past is meaningless, as it clutters the mind.  That is what this logbook is for, after all, and I'm most happy to have found it again.

I still have no idea how that cat got hold of it, but no matter.

My name is Humphrey Bellsknots, and I was "promoted" to this peculiar location by the late Duke of Alebeard (the poor soul drowned to death in a terrible accident), which hosted my previous museum of antiquities for nigh on twenty-three years.  That fool, Ropeclasped, is now in charge.  I shudder to think of what he's doing to the exhibits I spent so long collecting...

But I digress.  I was tasked with building a new museum complex, fully sustainable, in a location that would lend itself more easily to archaeological pilgrims and curiosity seekers from the surrounding mountain halls.  

A grand endeavour, to be sure, and certain to enlighten generations of Dwarfkind to come.

If only the place assigned to me were not so dull and desolate.  And, frankly, dangerous.

The terrain here is rather dry, with numerous sunken bowls in the earth which must have once been lakes in some colder age, before it became so dreadfully hot here.

However, one should not preoccupy one's self with such matters, as inside the sweet rock of the cliffside it is perfectly cool, so visitors will not be bothered by the heat while they peruse the exhibits.  One must always consider the wellbeing of such folk.

But my fears, however, lie not with the climate, or indeed the craggy terrain which is rather taxing on the legs.  No, it resides solely within the embrace of the wildlife.  

Alligators, saltwater crocodiles, and whatever foul beasts that bottomless pit to the northeast coughs up have made our stay here rather perilous, to say the least.  Already, one of our one has had his head ripped off by a vicious alligator while trying to defend us from the beast!  We have given him what little accomodations we could provide for such an event, but his sarcophagus will have to be moved later in the development of the museum, as it currently resides squarely inside what is to be the ticket booth.  Hardly fitting.

And those are just the things above the ground!  While carving out one of the hallways, the miners (there were still two then, rest his soul) discovered a pocket of lava hidden away inside the mountain!  Although this would normally be a joyous find (think of the attraction value! Dwarves would come from miles around to enter into a magma viewing gallery), the denizens of this particular establishment were less than friendly.  Although it pains me to speak of such a distasteful thing, they had to be dealt with.  Permanently.

Although the full scale of the museum is far from being recognized, the entranceway and adjoining corridors are starting to take form, I am happy to announce.  And, even in these early stages, I have recieved word that an old colleague of mine (I daresay, "adventuring buddy") has found pieces from the legendary "Oshok Gipest Seggu Lastrikdiso", or "The Last Feast of Seggu Lastrikdiso", a fantastic set created by an unknown human artisan several ages ago.

Although the set has never been found in its complete form, my hopes soar at the promising finds my friend has already discovered.  He has offered to provide me with what major pieces he can find, in order to give my new museum a good start!  I no longer regret those long years spent crawling around and trying to pick the grime out of my beard (it was significantly shorter in those days) as we explored dust-filled caves and dust-filled tombs, all in search of some dumb beast who had earned the ire of some dust-filled noble.

I've ordered an exhibit (with appropriate viewing access, as well) dug out to accomodate these finds when we are ready for them, but it will require a great deal of work before such things come to pass.

The new ruler of Alebeard, a far less amiable fellow than the late Duke, has ordered that due to the hostile environment I find myself in, he will be dispatching a group of volunteers to aid with the construction of the museum, along with some military officer who will take command over from me and oversee that suitable defenses be set up.

I hope he doesn't get too carried away...  There are few things less inviting to a prospective patron than seeing the spiky and unforgiving walls of a fortress instead of an inviting museum entrance.

But, the matter is out of my hands.  I hear the group approaching, and it is important I make a good first impression to our new guests.  I lay this book aside, and-

Heavens, I thought I'd picked all the teeth out of here already!

Oh well.

Technical details(OOC):

Alligators and saltwater crocs do indeed wander into the map from time to time.  One of them took the head off of one of the caravan guards, and then did the same to one of the miners, earning himself a name.

That alligator then wandered northwards in pursuit of an antman, when he was attackes by a giant cave spider that had crawled up out of the chasm.  This resulted in one very wounded antman, one very dead alligator, and one very spritely named giant cave spider. There's also a pack of naked mole dogs sitting near there, but they haven't done much.

Ironically, all these hazardous creatures have been rather beneficial, aside from the dead miner.  At least two if not three thieves (it said "ambush" each time, even though it was just a single kobold) have met their end by walking too close to the eight-legged beastie.

Staff quarters are a ways away from the main museum, and are not well designed.  There is enough food and drink to last the populace for some time, and we've hit a pocket of magnetite (damn I love that stuff), and we're sitting in a layer of chalk, with a magma forge and smelter set up, as well as several bars of coke processed from a couple nearby bituminous coal veins.

This place could've been the steel mill to end all steel mills.  Who knows, it might end up being just that, with a museum on top of it.

The designated area near the bottom of the magma pocket is the rough location of where the viewing gallery is supposed to be.  In there, it should be set up with chairs and other decorative things, and the walls are to be made out of glass windows (with impressive-looking steel or bronze support pillars in between, of course).

The large area directly opposite from the entrance is the "Oshok yaddayadda etc." exhibit.  The designations marks the positions of statues placed around a table.  The two at the end are to be the main attractions, one silver and one gold.  The rest are retainers, and should thus be made of bronze.  The table I haven't figured out yet, but it needs to be something impressive.

A patchwork design would be best, since the set has never been completed.  If the gold and silver statues are procured, then rejoice.  The rest can be put in random slots around the table.  You can even fill in blank spots with chairs made out of the same material as the table.

Ehh, can't think of much else right now.  Just watch out for that chasm, keep an eye out for ambushes, and don't complain too much about the effectiveness of the rooms I've laid out.  They'll all have to be moved somewhere else sooner or later.

EDIT: Bugger.  Had to remove some null links that added themselves to the bottom of the post.  Also, sorry about the double post (if it at all matters).

[ February 13, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2008, 09:31:00 am »

This is looking fantastic! Would it be any trouble to add me to the turn list?

Alaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2008, 03:42:00 pm »

Journal of Stodir Tekkudemal, dwarven militarist

Well, when amiable Duke of Alebeard heard about that mu-seum nonsence, he knew that he must send a military there to do it all proper! He sent me, a veteran mace, hammer, axe and whatnot -lord to organise that unfit rabble of dwarfs into an army capable of wasting any gobbo that dares stealin' masterful dwarven creations, and I swear to Armok, that I will do!
When I arrived, I was half-expecting to see gobbos dancin' on a pile of corpses that used to be our expeditionary force. Reality wasn't much better: all that "fortress", if I may call it such, had, was a half-carved  main hall, a bunch of underground farms and a communal bedroom that I mistook for a furniture stockpile at first. But as I ventured down the "museum" hall, I saw a dwarf named Workedsearched, who was smoothing floor! Smoothing the bloody floor when we don't even have bedrooms or a workshop lane! I've picked him up, gave him one of the picks and sent him to do some real work.
First, I have walled off the entrance to our current "living stockpile" and dug new one close to the museum. We need our defenders comin' quickly, not shabbling through mountains. Then, we began building normal workshops for our people while Workedsearched was busy walling off our southern entrance that I remained almost oblivious about until I accidentally stumbled upon it.

13-th of Granite
Elven merchants have arrived. I was hoping that this blasted heat will keep their pointy ears away, but that would've been too good. Brought nothing useful with them too, besides some fun that involved snapping necks of some kobold thiefs.

7-th of Felsite
Today in the morning I've spotted some dwarves on the horizon. The reinforcements that I was promised have finally arrived, and that's good. What's bad is that the first to greet them was our giant cave spider. None of our new comrades had weapons, with the exception of one ranger whose name, as survivors later told me, was Tobul, yet all dwarfs charged right at the beast. Alas, Tobul was struck down first, but the rest kept plucking monster's eyes out. While we rushed to their aid, two more dwarfs fell, but the beast itself was nearly finished, being totally blind and half of it's legs torn out. Few strikes were enough to send fearsome creature back to hells.

8-th of Felsite
We don't have nearly enough beds to accommodate even the wounded, yet alone all the newcomers. Tomorrow will be better - not because we'll have more beds, but because some of our dwarfs won't make it through the night. Two of them got bad kidney wounds, one lost his right hand, another one got his leg broken three times and last dwarf will be limp for the rest of his life. It's easier with the dead, for ticket booth still has some space.
Bright side: now we have two armorers, one metalcrafter, two fisherdwarfs, farmer, two cooks, cheese maker, two tanners, dyer, mechanic, 4 peasants and two children. Normally, I would be angry about the rabble they sent, but not after such a fight.

24-th of Felsite
We've finished digging moat and building a bridge over it. Controlling lever was placed in the ticket booth, for someone is bound to be there all the time. At least, treasurers back at Mountainhomes surely hope so.
Note to self: forge some weapons asap. Our armorer had to kill another antman with his bare hands.

6-th of Hematite
Kol, one of the newcomers, is running around the lawn where battle took place, babbling something incomprehensible. Guess the shock of fighting was too much for her.

19-th of Malachite
Today, two maimed dwarfs have passed, and Kol, having witnessed their deaths, finally snapped, let out a scream of rage and is now running on the far side of river, tearing off clothes and yelling nonsense.

20-th of Malachite
Kol's screams are really getting on everyone's nerve, so I went to calm her down, only to find half-naked dwarven lady wrestling with jaguar. Or, to put it more accurate, beating poor animal to death. As I came closer, she left mangled body alone and jumped on me so quickly that I barely managed to raise my axe before she collided with me, knocking me over, and unleashed a storm of blows on me. Suddenly she passed out, and when I broke free from grip of her fingers, I found myself covered in her blood, still streaming from deep wound left in her chest by my axe in the initial collision.
She will join the rest at the booth. In death, all of us are equal.

7-th of Galena
Our defenses, as poor as they are, are now complete. Now all we have to do to completely isolate ourselves is to raise the bridge.  
For the first time since my arrival I can turn attention to the museum itself.

13-th of Limestone
Autumn brings dwarven caravan, as well as another behavior weirdness. Peasant Lor kicked our well-respected craftsdwarf out of his workshop, grabbed a pebble from the floor and begun cutting something from it. He'd better not damage any of the nice items lying in there, or HE will be the one listening to Nish's complains, not me.

18-th of Limestone
Well, he has created a chalk bracelet. Nothing spectacular about it, although for reason unknown Humphrey believes it is worth almost 5 thousands.

1-st of Sandstone
Ambush! Our negotiations with our brethren from Mountainhomes were quietly observed by a group of six goblin axmen, who attacked us as soon as we let down our guard.
At least, they thought that we did. Now we have some extra stuff for trade.

15-th of Moonstone
So far, nothing of interest has happened. Smoothing of museum floors and walls is underway, as well as training of two marksdwarves I've conscripted.
Yet at the evening goblin raiding party appeared. They're armed with crossbows, so I ordered the bridge raised. We have enough work to do inside.

1-st of Granite
Four goblins aside, we're pretty safe now, and all is running smoothly. We have more bedrooms than dwarfs, more food than needed, our Museum is being built, iron is being smelt, and stone masterworks are popped out more often than it rains out there.
Never seen a crocodile around. I wonder what got all of 'em?

Well, it's time for me to give up the command on this fort to the next one, who's more suited to do more subtle jobs like arranging cases and organizing displays.
Note to any future leader that somehow gets to read it: furniture in dining hall should be replaced with masterworks ASAP.
http://slil.ru/25470711

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2008, 03:43:00 pm »

Good to see a succession actual going relatively smoothly for once!  :)
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2008, 11:28:00 pm »

This is going smoothly?

Anyways, does anybody know where Squeegy is?  It's his turn, and he was the one who started this whole thing, after all..

Alaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2008, 04:51:00 am »

Hey, it's not my fault that spider is dead! He had it coming!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2008, 06:12:00 am »

Well, since you're here, any suggestions as to how to make a fort slightly more hospitable to the next player in line?

I figured that I was being extravagant with the beds, not stingy.  A few players seem to prefer just smoothing out a stone room and designating that as a barracks.   Personal bedrooms seem like they would take too much space and work to justify their construction in the first year.

As for the dead dwarf, my miners seem to have been rather unlucky lately...  I started another fort recently, and one of my two miners bit the dust after getting hit with an imp's fireball.  I hope it's not becoming a trend.

Also, drawbridge?  I hope the museum isn't looking too inhospitable...

Alaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2008, 07:39:00 am »

Our museum has ... interesting neighbors, let's put it this way. Channel with a drawbridge over it looked like a best choice for front line defenses, with some ballistae added in future. Nothing raises one's spirit like a well-constructed siege engine, by the way!
Personal rooms take a lot of space, that's true, but at the same time they keep dwarfs happy. It's simply too loud in barracks. By the way, you have to mark every one of your beds as separate room, otherwise any dwarf sleeping on it will get an unhappy thought about "sleeping without proper room". Mining 7 separate 2x2 rooms doesn't take that much time.
By the way, what happened to another dwarf? When I took your save, there were 6 dwarfs alive and 2 dead. Where did he came from, anyway?

Plans for future? Well, right now we're not only working in our offices, but sleeping and eating too. That must be changed. Our dining room could use a waterfall; same goes for the main hall I believe. Also, we have a chasm at northern edge, so some glass windows for dwarfs, or perhaps a whole gallery that goes above it are in order.
I believe that we should channel some magma to run massive smelting operations hidden from tourist sight.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2008, 07:48:00 am »

So...  Are you living in the museum?  Or have you just dug around a bit more in the dirt?   And yes, I'm aware of our surroundings.  I am, after all, the one who witnessed the named alligator get nibbled on by that spider.

Mr. Extra Axedwarf is from the caravan.  He saw the gator, ran towards it, and got his head ripped off.  My miner soon followed the same path, as I attempted to dispatch the beast.  That's how he got his name.

And yes, I'm aware of bedrooms and how to set them up.  I just don't consider it a major priority in the early game.

I'm going to have to see a screenshot of all these defenses you've put in...  The museum is supposed to be kept as a strictly civilian zone, aside from the ticket booth.  It's supposed to have a staggered clear glass wall/fortification design, like a ticket booth, but with marksdwarves behind the glass.  Certainly not effective, but quite aesthetic.

Alaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2008, 08:14:00 am »

I've expanded the area where the farms are to the north. There is enough space in there to host workshops, storages and dwarven living quarters. Western part of the mountain is left to the museum, and let it be this way.
I didn't install too many defenses, just something to keep sudden siege away. They tend to come at year 3 now, and there's no way to drive them off besides full isolation or a trap-filled corridor. I chose former. Anyway, only a museum in the middle of a city can afford luxury of being unguarded. Anything in the middle of nowhere has to have decent army and fortifications, no matter how civilian it's supposed to be.
As for the chasm, it can be remade into arena. Fight of an iron man vs. mountain goats was pretty impressive, and tourists who are into blood sports gonna love it.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2008, 12:54:00 pm »

Alright, sorry for disappearing. I just haven't been feeling very Dwarf Fortress-y lately. Gaulgath, I'll add you to the list.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2008, 06:08:00 pm »

This is a post. It menaces with spikes of bump. It is encircled with text.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2008, 11:44:00 pm »

It is also adorned with hanging rings of expectation...

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2008, 10:44:00 am »

It appears Alaern is MIA. If he doesn't respond I'll take Kagus' save.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6