Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23

Author Topic: The Chasm-Challenge  (Read 30625 times)

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: The Chasm-Challenge
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2008, 04:54:00 pm »

The fortress value is over 300k, as the bookkeepers title is now hoardmaster. I never had more than two squads of ambushers though.

And only one floor (and most of the staircases) are made with random stone. Dark stone (gabbro and obsidian) was used for the walls and gray stone (granite) was used for the floors.

I'll shut up now and let you get to work. The dwarven mood situation is pretty abysmal at the moment. Maybe finish up that petting zoo I (sort of) started?

EDIT: And oh, I see now what you meant about the chasm.

[ March 25, 2008: Message edited by: nahkh ]

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2008, 10:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kogan Loloklam:
<STRONG>The chasm is large, consisting of almost 2 full screens. The actual "Chasm" space deminishes because as a first task, it wasn't brought to the surface like it should. That means your "tower" consists of the entirity of the chasm. When I am done, this problem will be fixed, and it will be less a needle-thin tower, and more of a fortress-spire, stretching up out of the depths of hell to smite the goblin foes.

Unfortunately, my external wallwork has just been interrupted by some blasted ambushers. I'm not sure the value of the fortress since there is not a single dwarf remaining with appraisal skill, but I suspect it will be two or three waves, and the four remaining sane dwarf military will be hard-pressed to fight them off. I'm in for a nasty battle to just secure the dwarven borders. After that, a new wave of tantrums. After that, the very dangerous work of getting the chasm exposed. Already one dwarf has been lost on that grand work.

As long as people build on top of my walls, strait up, then the chasm-fortress will be truth instead of fiction. I am going to start building bedrooms at the "ground" level, and work my way up from there.

Someone else can replace the random stone with obsidian blocks. There isn't enough solid fortress for me to slow down the work of making a solid fortress to place the kind of stone that is needed.

By the way, I am changing the central tower. Instead of 5x5 room with a staircase on each corner, I am making it a 3x3 room that consists entirely of staircases.

I will let others work on the fine details of the appearance of the insides of the tower. I will work hard to get the shell built, as well as an external wall that can ensure that small attacks won't defeat us. I'll probably excavate alot of the mountain for stone as well...</STRONG>

See, by and large that's a nice summary of what the rest of us were faced with and how diminished it's become because we dealt with it.  NPComplete and I were thwarted by non-logistic problems and distractions like the chasm being inhabited and his plan to build only in Obsidian / my decision to try to stick with it.  Dopefish decided to handle food supplies and booze; Nahkh got a perfect storm of fighting and slaughter.  Believe me, if you spend the whole year widening the damn thing out and moving workshops indoors, nobody will be more pleased than me.  If you look back at some of my notes I have suggested some of the same things you're now haranguing us for not doing.  We've found other priorities were more immediate because the game doesn't expect us to spend 4 years trying to construct things one square at a time out of rock blocks: it expects us to have most of the fortress dug in two.

I do have to admit that things could have been centralized and defended better, but not without building yet more things that didn't have much at all to do with the chasm.

"Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally-designed image of a dragon and a dwarf by Ber Ilavuz.  The dragon is making a plaintive gesture.  The dwarf is striking a menacing pose."

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2008, 11:25:00 pm »

I'm just griping because I didn't get to do what I wanted, which was building 12 new levels of just jail cells.  ;)

Death toll of the fortress is currently 63, as of 24th Slate, 1055. 39 Dwarves remaining. No immigrants yet this year. Please goodness I need some more dwarves! Dwarfpower isn't large enough to handle the scale of the construction orders I have placed so far. Only 1/3rd of the surface work is done, and the remodel of the central spire has only just begun.

I stopped digging the chasm up to this point, because I had no clue at all how many picks we had. Now that I see we got 8 remaining, I will finish the chasm work. That will be my gift to the fortress. The chasm, the wall, and the "Groundwork" for future floors. I'd do bedrooms too, but the groundwork for a real bedroom isn't there, and I'm sure a future overseer will want to replace alot of the crap stone with actual obsidian, so it would be a waste.
I might redo the foundations though, since once the chasm is dug out properly, the foundations won't make as much sense. We will see what I can do before the end of the year. On the bright side? The pet problem is being handled. The level of carnage in the paticular hallway where the pets are falling is insane. The Miasma there is horrid  ;). I'd have chasmed them, except I'm a doofus. I'll be chasming the rest.

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

fleacircus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2008, 01:23:00 am »

Out of curiosity, why is it so important to want all-obsidian construction?

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2008, 02:44:00 am »

Aesthetics.

Wow, Sph. With Eggs!

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2008, 05:33:00 am »

As most of the problems seem to be caused by a spiral of tantruming death, I vote that if the situation becomes impossible to control (or dwarves approach extinction) abandon&reclaim should be allowed.

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2008, 08:09:00 am »

Honestly, if this blows up completely on us I think we ought to take a crack at another site... or we can have a reclaim-the-fortress challenge and grade for speed, which could be fun.

And yeah, obsidian is important for aeshtetics, though I was going to investigate colored tile through trading with dwarves when my turn rolled back around.  Clearly this may not last that long!

"Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally-designed image of a dragon and a dwarf by Ber Ilavuz.  The dragon is making a plaintive gesture.  The dwarf is striking a menacing pose."

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2008, 01:45:00 pm »

It'll last. The Tantrums aren't that bad. Just an Odd 12 dwarves here and there  ;)

Seriously though, I expect that the population will be stable at the end of my turn, with the 3 gifts made  ;)

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2008, 03:53:00 pm »

I don't know what happened... The whole thing just kind of disintegrated.
˙
˙
˙
˙
One fine Felsite day everything was going good, the next, it was disaster!
˙
˙
˙
˙
It was all going so well too...
˙
˙
˙
˙
I... I can't believe it...
˙
˙
˙
˙
In a single damn instant, it all went to heck!
˙
˙
˙
˙
˙
˙
˙
˙
The Wall was 60% finished, the chasm was coming along nicely, things were looking up!
˙
˙
˙
˙
˙
˙
˙
˙
And then it happened.
˙
˙
˙
˙
˙
˙
˙
˙
˙
˙
˙
˙
Total Disaster...
˙
˙
˙
˙
˙
˙
˙
˙
˙
˙
˙
˙
Horrid and Absolute Total disaster!
˙
˙
˙
˙
˙
˙
˙
˙
˙
˙
˙
˙
A baroness, bringing along a hammerer and a tax collector!
Economy and an adamantine-loving hammerer. It's all over  :(

On the bright side, her 23 retainers will come in handy! We have a military again! Goblins better fear the 66 population Barony of Mafolmondűl!

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2008, 05:54:00 pm »

Nuts.  Why couldn't they have showed up while the dragon was here?

Design and implement a method for throwing them into the chasm.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 26, 2008, 05:59:00 pm »

Excerpt from my record, so you all know that something significant happened, from 23rd Hematite...
'... has fallen to the stone traps in the entryway. Over 20 dwarves, slain. Now comes the process of counting the dead. The splinters of wood from the craftdwarf's workshop sit amongst the scattered bodyparts of the human caravan...'

Needless to say, we might be facing another chain melancholy incident.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2008, 06:13:00 pm »

Another megabeast? Dear lord.

I'm thinking that the barons living quarters could be placed on a platform in the lowest level. Something that's connected with one tile.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2008, 08:10:00 pm »

The baroness so far has been much more polite then the tax collector. In fact, the Baroness has been downright pleasant. The tax collector could use a long trip in the fall though...

And I'm not going to say what caused the carnage, you'll have to wait for the report. Here is a screenshot of it though...
  ;)

(Edit: Bodies have been counted. 17 Dwarf dead. 9 or more humans.
We are down to 3 General workers, 2 Miners, 5 Farmers, and 3 Special duty workers. Four of our dwarves are bedridden from wounds recieved. Doren Kolvucar lost his wife Zasit Kěrarnish, mother to Vabôk cattenlulâr and Zasit Sĺkzullerteth. If Logem Udibnanir doesn't get medical attention, her husband Goden Memadmelbil will also experence a loss. For the most part, the Dwarves of this fortress have not made many friends since the dragon in the winter of '54)

[ March 26, 2008: Message edited by: Kogan Loloklam ]

(Addendum to this: Overseers, children, nobles, and military aren't included in the report above on how many dwarves we have. Our population is 45, with little risk of tantruming since there were few friendship links, except for the two situations mentioned above.)

[ March 26, 2008: Message edited by: Kogan Loloklam ]

fleacircus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2008, 09:06:00 pm »

It's only appropriate that the Chasm Fortress be spiralling down the drain  :)

NPComplete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2008, 09:16:00 pm »

Well, it started off so well  :)

Sorry for being incommunicado, I was on vacation.

It's really interesting to see the way things have grown, and how other people's plans match up with (or, more frequently, don't match up with) your own.

Hopefully we can turn it around after that massacre and complete our sacred mission!  Or just start again with a bigger chasm!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23