Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23

Author Topic: The Chasm-Challenge  (Read 30627 times)

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: The Chasm-Challenge
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2008, 04:14:00 am »

Just to stop you guys from fretting, I'm here and I'm working on it.
Plan 1: Get metal industry working.
Plan 2: Move stockpiles inside. Maybe carve a huge storage area near the chasm, we need the stone anyway.
Plan 3: Build that tower!

Plan n: Build system for flooding the entrance with lava. Preferably make the switch look identical to the WAFD-switch, only on a different z-level ^^

Kudos for Dopefish for making plenty of booze. I always had problems in that area. Never enough barrels.

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2008, 04:15:00 am »

Oh, and which of the supports are connected to the switch? (Maybe I should just pull it and see?-D)

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2008, 06:33:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by nahkh:
<STRONG>Oh, and which of the supports are connected to the switch? (Maybe I should just pull it and see?-D)</STRONG>

Try to connect some new ones; the ones it won't let you attach are already in the system.

Oh, and I recommend using the hallways that are the interior of the supports for stockpiles, for starters.

[ March 19, 2008: Message edited by: Snugglebear ]

"Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally-designed image of a dragon and a dwarf by Ber Ilavuz.  The dragon is making a plaintive gesture.  The dwarf is striking a menacing pose."

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2008, 09:05:00 am »

Here's an update:

Diary of 'Nahkh' Lokoktost, Fourt Overseer.

1st Granite, 1054, Early Spring

An Overseer. Me.
Heh, suckers.

Apparently someone higher up decided I didn't have enough work in my hands, as they declared that I should be the next overseer to this Armok-forsaken place. Well, I'll be damned if I let this opportunity to slip by my hands. In the next few days I'll be conducting an overview of the fortress.

Mafolmondûl: An overview by 'Nahkh' Lokoktost, Fourth Overseer

Construction:

The initial construction has been set in motion, but is progressing slowly due to poor co-ordination. The amount of workers assigned is satisfactory, but the supply of suitable stone raises doubts. The whole fortress should, for preferance, be build entirely of obsidian, but as that seems impossible granite and gabbro will suffice. I will order the miners to begin construction of a large storeroom just off the chasm to both serve as a source of stone as well as a nearby stockpile for the blocks needed for construction.

Industry:

Currently our metalworkes are sitting idle with no working forges. I will attempt to correct this as soon as possible, however, the previous overseer clearly had no idea on how to design a safe magma forge. Not only would the current design flood in two or three places, but would allow magma-dwelling monsters free access to our forges.

Food supplies:

Currently our supplies rely heavily on plants grown outside the chasm, in violation of our divine mandate. It is vital that we move our farming to it's proper place the first chance we get. The booze supply is excellent, however. I must congratulate the previous overseers on that accord.

Defense:

Practically nonexistent. Most of our workshops and stockpiles are open to attack, any attack. We have a few traps at the main entrance, an that's it. No defensive fortifications whatsoever. We MUST address this issue before we all become goblin-food.

10th Granite, 1054, Early Spring

The elves. Why do thay bother coming here? I'm tempted to simply lock them in until they go stark raving mad and start eating their own legs. But nay, our noble mayor tells me we must be diplomatic.
I'll leave that to him, and get back to work.

We've constructed a temporary bridge from the base of the tower to the nearby wall, where we will be digging out more stone, as well as placing some masons' workshops there.

11th Granite, 1054, Early Spring

AMBUSH! Our farmers were attacked by a squad of macegoblins. Curse the damned elves for leading them right to us! I knew they were up to no good.
The goblin macemen were torn to shreds by our marksdwarves with no military or civilian casaulties.
The cheering troops were interrupted by the screams of a dwarven child, as a squad of goblin swordsmen  cut him down.
Our marksdwarves quickly dispatched this new foe. One of them got as far as the traps laid out at the entrance. Of the two squads, a single goblin escaped.
A goblin snatcher showed up simultaneously in the above cliffs. I'm told the farmers organized a militia to drive it off.

I'm maintaining high alert until we've ascertained that there are no more goblins hiding nearbly.

Ha! The lone macegoblin who supposedly escaped up the cliffs met our farmer militia on the way down.

Looks like he didn't escape after all. But that is a hollow victory, as the whole fortress mourns the loss of Stinthäd Kilrudzar. He will receive a heros burial.

17th Granite, 1054, Early Spring
Another snatcher. Ducim Keskaltizöt, the metalsmith who found the little rat, literally tore him apart with his bare hands. Apparenly he was pretty upset with goblins and their strange attitude towards small children. Not that I blame him. I just have to remember not to pick a fight with him.

26th Granite, 1054, Early Spring

Our farmers' militia took down yet another goblin snatcher. What is it with goblins and dwarf children?

5th Slate, 1054, Mid-Spring

The mayor just finished his dealings with the elves. Apparently he was able to trade some trinkets for their entire supply of food and wood, as well as some reed cloth.
I don't know how he can stand being around those... freaks.

12th Slate, 1054, Mid-Spring

Damn it all. The area we've been excavating for granite turns out to be full of ortoclase. I suppose we could use it build a brick road ... hang on... yellow bricks? Maybe we should just chasm them.

13th Slate, 1054, Mid-Spring

Wonderful. A dungeon master has arrived. A bloody noble. Apparently he hasn't heard that the chasm has been entirely cleared already. Can't help but think this one might be a moron. Anyway, with him came a

slew of other immigrants.

1 Fisherdwarf
5 Peasants
1 Woodcrafter
1 Craftsdwarf
1 Blacksmith
1 Weaver
1 Bone carver
1 Engraver
1 Herbalist
1 Lye maker
1 Mechanic
1 Leatherworker
1 Bowyer
1 Fishery worker
1 Woodcutter
1 Planter

20 immigrants? Plus a noble? How are we going to feed all of them? Let alone house?

19th Felsite, 1054, Late Spring

It seems that Zasit Asënurvad, a clothier, has created an artifact. More specifically, a cave spider silk tunic he calls Ganadsuvas (The Special Luster, in the human tongue). A truly magnificent piece. It is encrusted with Black opal and encircled with bands of cave spider silk, granite and turle shell, made of midnight blue silk. He even managed to get menacing spikes of raccoon leather in it. It has an image of a broad cross in cave spider silk, and image of rats in rose gold and an image of a wave in bismuth. NPComplete tells me that it's worth around 77400 in coin. Not that we could possibly sell such craftdwarfship.
Immediately after hearing this the mayor decided to remove his previous ban on exporting silver objects and would rather ban the export of black bronze items. Sometimes I wonder if it's the job that makes dwarves go nutty or is it the nutty dwarves who flock to the job.

12th Hematite, 1054, Early Summer

A human merchant princess has arrived. I suppose we should be flattered. I'll ask the mayor to see if they have any picks. Or steel.

15th Hematite, 1054, Early Summer

If I've ever said anything bad about goblins, I take it back with apologies. We just traded goblin cave spider silk clothing to the humans for their ENTIRE CARAVAN. Even the expensive booze they sometimes carry. This calls for the greatest party ever!
Addendum: Party's cancelled. Goblins ambushed our cheesemaker. Sadly we couldn't get to him in time.

Our marksdwarves took the enemy down with little fuzz.

Another squad of goblins ambushed our weaver. During the fight the weaver and the squad leader fell down a dry pond. The goblins were still trying to get their noble leader up when our marksdwarves snuck up behind them.

8th Malachite, 1054, Mid-Summer

We received some new migrants today.
I've listed their professions here, as well as the task they've been assigned to.
1 Leatherworker -> Miner
1 Woodcrafter
1 Fish Cleaner
1 Woodworker -> Mason
1 Gem Cutter -> Miner
1 Peasant -> Mason
1 Fish Cleaner -> Mason
1 Peasant -> Mason

Our population is now 91.

23rd Galena, 1054, Late Summer

Work is progressing well. We've succesfully build the basic structure of the tower from bottom to top, our chasm-based farms are well underway (I hear we've already gathered crops from the first field!) and the magma forges are nearly complete. Complete, in fact, except for the actual magma. It certainly is taking it's time. We'll need to do something about the WAFD-project though. I doubt the fortress would collapse even if the supports are cut. We'll need to create something far more cunning.

10th Limestone, 1054, Early Autumn

The Dwarven caravan has arrived, along with the town liaison. The magma forges are finally in operation, and we're finally getting around setting around to fulfilling our noble mayors pick mandate.

I'll be back later with the conclusion.
Also, I'll add pics once I figure out how to get them online.

[ March 19, 2008: Message edited by: nahkh ]

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2008, 10:38:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by nahkh:
Currently our metalworkes are sitting idle with no working forges. I will attempt to correct this as soon as possible, however, the previous overseer clearly had no idea on how to design a safe magma forge. Not only would the current design flood in two or three places, but would allow magma-dwelling monsters free access to our forges.

Man, I just dug the hole to let the magma in.  Don't sass me.

quote:

19th Felsite, 1054, Late Spring

It seems that Zasit Asënurvad, a clothier, has created an artifact. More specifically, a cave spider silk tunic he calls Ganadsuvas (The Special Luster, in the human tongue). A truly magnificent piece. It is encrusted with Black opal and encircled with bands of cave spider silk, granite and turle shell, made of midnight blue silk. He even managed to get menacing spikes of raccoon leather in it. It has an image of a broad cross in cave spider silk, and image of rats in rose gold and an image of a wave in bismuth. NPComplete tells me that it's worth around 77400 in coin. Not that we could possibly sell such craftdwarfship.

Spectacular.  At least they're not still making wooden trinkets.

quote:
Work is progressing well. We've succesfully build the basic structure of the tower from bottom to top, our chasm-based farms are well underway (I hear we've already gathered crops from the first field!) and the magma forges are nearly complete. Complete, in fact, except for the actual magma. It certainly is taking it's time. We'll need to do something about the WAFD-project though. I doubt the fortress would collapse even if the supports are cut. We'll need to create something far more cunning.

It needed more digging at the end of my turn and I'm pretty sure Dopefish did not get around to helping out with that, so you're probably right.  The basic scheme should be sound unless you've created more attachment points.

quote:

I'll be back later with the conclusion.
Also, I'll add pics once I figure out how to get them online.

Do what I did and set up a photobucket account, then link the images in the post.

"Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally-designed image of a dragon and a dwarf by Ber Ilavuz.  The dragon is making a plaintive gesture.  The dwarf is striking a menacing pose."

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2008, 02:35:00 pm »

quote:
Man, I just dug the hole to let the magma in. Don't sass me.

Heh, I know. It was just in-character banter. Don't take it personally. Anyway the design is working just fine with very little adjustment.

quote:

It needed more digging at the end of my turn and I'm pretty sure Dopefish did not get around to helping out with that, so you're probably right. The basic scheme should be sound unless you've created more attachment points.

That's just the thing. The magma channel at least is an attachment point, and the top floor is now connected as well (And a couple of extra ones). I was thinking of suspending sufficient pieces of rock above each attachment point to sever it at the pull of the Lever Of Doom.

quote:
Do what I did and set up a photobucket account, then link the images in the post.

Will do.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2008, 02:43:00 pm »

91 ?

dude, the chasm isn't really what I would call big, you better make sure many of them die in some battle

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2008, 02:51:00 pm »

I will solve the housing issue. Don't worry so much!
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2008, 03:52:00 pm »

I think the problem just solved itself.
We have guests.
Or a guest. New update:

11th Limestone, 1054, Early Autumn

Apparantly whatever idiocy consumes the human traders has spread to our dwarven cousins as well. The mayor was able to buy most of the dwarven caravan with goblin clothing. Maybe there's a fashion trend going on down in the plains that we don't know about. Maybe we should raise our prices.

2nd Timber, 1054, Late Autumn

One of our woodcrafters, Zuglar Limulnakuth, has gone utterly insane. The other craftsdwarves tell me that he secluded himself in his workshop a few months prior. Why nobody told me I'll never know. But now he has gone insane, and I have no choice but to order the military to take him down. OUr work is too delicate for a mad dwarf to be running around.

Addendum: I just received word that the mayor himself took down the rabid dwarf. Commendable work from the old batty.

3rd Timber, 1054, Late Autumn
ARMOK SAVE US! The dragon Ötda Fordcontrolled is coming this way!
I knew that damned woodworker was a bad omen. This will not end well, I fear.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2008, 04:27:00 pm »

Oh dear lord. It keeps getting worse.

7th Timber, 1054, Late Autumn
The battle is over. Victory was ours. But it was a costly victory. We lost twenty good dwarves this day, among them Snugglebear, the second overseer. May the names of our dead be remembered.
Many more are grievously wounded, and I fear most of them will not hear another noontime bell.

Most of our external storehouses are in flames. A few more dwarves died in the fires trying to rescue some of our stockpile. Our numbers have dwindled to 70.

12th Timber, 1054, Late Autumn
Disaster has struck us once more. While digging out a suitable burial chamber for our brothers and sisters who perished in the fires of Ötda our miners struck through to a strange chamber. The chamber was dominated by an eerily glowing pit, and the walls were lined with tortured human and elves. I've heard tales of such chambers, but I only thought they were just stories of old dwarves trying to scare younger folk. The adamantite walls may be worth a fortune, but no fortune is worth being devoured by demons. I'm ordering the chamber sealed. I can only hope that steel can stop them, for it's the strongest material we have.

Ok, does anyone know if steel walls stop demons? Can they fly? Do they drown? Is it a good idea to just flood the damned thing with water?

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2008, 04:34:00 pm »

Ok, you can disregard that last one, df crashed after that (also, breaching the chamber dropped my fps to 1). Fortunately I saved once the dragon showed up.

The battle with the dragon went a bit better this time around, only around 10 dead. Less civilian deaths, more soldiers.

6th Timber, 1054, Late Autumn
The battle is won. We lost many of our numbers to the beast, but at least we still walk and breath. Many were wounded, and it remains to be seen if they will live. Among the wounded was our noble Mayor. I am sorry for ever calling him a fool, his bravery surely outweighs any occasional lapses in judgment.

Addendum: I've just received word that the mayor has succumbed to his wounds. We shall give him a funeral worthy of the hero that he is.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2008, 06:23:00 pm »

1st Moonstone, 1054, Early Winter
It's difficult to give a coherent picture of the previous month. Most of our time was spent dealing with the fires started by the dragon, and just trying to keep the peace. Everyone is really on edge. Hardly a day goes by without someone tantruming or starting a fight. We don't have proper jails or even a fortress guard at the moment, and things are getting out of control. We've set up a temporary dwarven court, with the standard punishment of being tied up on the cliffside, in sunlight. It's harsh, I know, but something has to be done. At least some of the dwarves are starting to see the brighter side. Then again, some aren't. I've lost count of how many dwarves have gone mad with grief. Fortunately no-one has actually jumped into the chasm.

2nd Moonstone, 1054, Early Winter

It seems I spoke too soon. One of our planters either jumped or was pushed into the chasm.
What really bothers me is that dwarves keep getting killed in these pointless fistfights. Some moron always brings an axe.

7th Moonstone, 1054, Early Winter

I no longer know if I can do this. Even the captain of the guard seems taken by this fell feeling that covers the whole fortress. I don't know all the details, but apparently he got into an argument about the quality of his dinner with the cook. We had our first murder. Committed by the captain himself.
He's been sentenced to over 200 days in prison. I don't think the measures we've taken are sufficient. We must increase the number of guards. Maybe triple them.

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2008, 12:13:00 am »

See, this is the sort of circumstance for which dropping the whole thing into the chasm was designed. Past experience with dragons suggests that you should just forbid anything near the smoke until stuff burns out; I lost a legendary engraver and some miscellaneous largely-useless people to smoke inhalation at my main fort.

We could alter the magma delivery system such that it falls into the pipeline rather than flows directly, I suppose.  That did not occur to me when I was digging it, but you're right, it may pose a problem.

Sounds like Kogan is gonna have his work cut out for him.

Oh, and it is hilarious/convenient that the hidden fun stuff is right next to the burial chamber / collapsitron.

[ March 20, 2008: Message edited by: Snugglebear ]

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2008, 12:52:00 am »

Sigh. How come I always have to clean up messes!

At least this one is easy, unlike the vast chambers created by berent in roariron.

Happy dwarves is as good of a goal as anything else. I'm sure I can clean it up if it survives to 1 Granite  ;)

It's almost there, so I'd say chances are good.

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

fleacircus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2008, 07:24:00 pm »

Paging overseer nahkh.. paging overseer nahkh...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23