Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23

Author Topic: The Chasm-Challenge  (Read 29594 times)

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Chasm-Challenge
« Reply #285 on: May 12, 2008, 07:46:00 am »

My best recollection is that we have at least 130 dead; there were around 70 on my turn and I lost another 60 or so.

But I haven't counted, no.

"Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally-designed image of a dragon and a dwarf by Ber Ilavuz.  The dragon is making a plaintive gesture.  The dwarf is striking a menacing pose."

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 12, 2008, 08:17:00 am »

It's interesting, really. We've successfully racked up a nearly Boatmurdered-level of bodies, but the spire is still totally under control. While it seems some of those early sieges came a bit close for comfort, we haven't tantrum-spiraled or demon-exploded yet. I'm quite impressed. Especially considering that we've kept the spire going for 13 years now.
quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 12, 2008, 12:59:00 pm »

well, magma replenishes, so the next goal should be obvious:

Wall of the whole map, only leaving a nice street for the caravans. Then build some pumps and some sort of power-production and slowly flood the whole map.

Just imagine it.

A gigantic sea of magma as far as the eye goes, only a small raw path of stone to support your wagon, as you aim towards a black spot at the horizon: A bottomless pit, housing the mountainhomes, your ultimate trading goal.
Behind you is an ambush group. In front of you is an ambush group. But god damn it, you WILL get those rock mugs.

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 13, 2008, 02:11:00 pm »

The fortress does seem strangely stable considering what it's been through. Is it the lack of nobles? Stupendous leadership? Or simply a calm before the storm?
Speaking of calms, who's hogging the save? (I am aware of the extreme irony of me whining about someone taking their time with the turn.)

But hey, they told us this was a crazy idea. They mocked us, called us mad. BUT WE SHOWED THEM! THEY'RE THE MAD ONES! BWAAHAHAHAHA *thunder*

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

Donkringel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 14, 2008, 06:06:00 am »

That'd be me. Sorry, got sick on sunday, one of those fun viruses that leaves you hallucinating that yout fighting the communists in vietnamese jungles, and you and your men are screwed because they have dinosaurs, while you only have iron spheres which need to be calibrated specifically so that...

Yea the hallucinations were weird :P

At any rate, a few things to report.

-I've made to to summer. This is after about 5 hours of real gameplay or somesuch?
-I used my normal .38c folder, forgot to turn on temperature. The spirit of fire has NOT drowned, and while the coal fire has gone out, the gameplay is is at 8 fps (this is with the temperature off two as well. I think it may be the pits themselves we have to contend with). Needless to say, I need to sink more time into the game
-Species integration was not a goal our great leader should have endorsed.

^_^

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 14, 2008, 06:26:00 am »

why not simply cave the pits in completely ?

that should take care of all demons

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 14, 2008, 03:54:00 pm »

A dastardly plan. I like.
Make it so, number one!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 14, 2008, 04:20:00 pm »

I wonder, what happens to the glowing pit tiles ?

if they stay, we just HAVE to use them for something awesome

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 14, 2008, 04:57:00 pm »

Problem with cave-ins: In the previous game where that worked (Roariron, the demon-hammer), the only demons being squished were frog demons. What we're talking about is a full-fledged spirit of fire infestation, here. There's probably been demons migrating to all the random tragedy that happened here that there's 20 or 30 spirits by now.

I'm exaggerating, of course, but the point is that our particular problem flies. Trying to dig out a cave-in device would result in at least some period of time in which we are exposed to the spirits.

A few other things:

1. I don't see why we need to worry about the demons anyway, unless they're the assholes taking up all our processor speed.

2. Try getting rid of all the animals. I worked on that at the end of my year, but I think the animal depopulation wasn't nearly serious enough. If the overseers in the years between mine and now haven't dismantled it, there's an entire animal slaughter/refuse processing rig set up somewhere by the chasm. Also, by the time I finished there were 10 or 12 dwarves with butchery or tanning enabled.

quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 15, 2008, 03:15:00 am »

I think that they ARE the bastards hogging all the CPU time. When I accidentally opened the chamber the first time around my FPS dropped from 40 to less than ten (although it could have been the burning charcoal). And it won't necessarily leave the fortress exposed:
code:

##################
#                #
# ############## #
#      I         O
##################
#FIREANDBRIMSTONE#

where I is a support and O is a built wall

Mlittle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 15, 2008, 04:00:00 am »

I get around 60 fps from the save at the end of my turn, 13-14 fps from the end of GeneralValter's turn and 12 fps from the end of Fleacircus's turn. The changes from my save to GeneralValters's were the pits, 26 new dwarfs and 62 less animals. It must be the pits and the spirits that are hogging the CPU.

The death count is 187 dead dwarfs, according to the 'u' menu. There is some oddity as three adults and three children are listed separately from the rest. Given our food supply, are we making it into a dooms day shelter for the dwarf nobles, or something?

With the final words said, the little bearded loony goes back into his cave.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 15, 2008, 04:10:00 am »

The demons are the ones taking up your processing, trust me.  I was crawling along with Roariron until after the Demonhammer fell, whereupon the FPS went rocketing skyward.

Well, as "skyward" as this machine can get, anyways.  It was a welcome relief from what it had been.

Thanks to the ability for cave-ins to punch through multiple floors/ceilings, you should be able to take them out without too much exposure.  Built floors can work quite well, but they're not as powerful and can't plug up stuff.

However, it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to take them all out in one swing.  You'll be left with a few angry, dangerous, flying spirits of fire.  Make sure you're ready for them.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 15, 2008, 05:01:00 am »

if we manage to at least take out the one who is keeping the water from entering the pits along with the main structure of the pits, we should be able to take the flying ones out simply by filling the whole chamber that follows the cave-in with water. They would have drowned already, but the narrow path the water is taking keeps it from accumulating enough mass to drown them before it turns into steam.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 15, 2008, 05:19:00 am »

Ehmmm...  Hate to break it to ya, but spirits of fire don't breathe..

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 15, 2008, 05:22:00 am »

well, at least trapping them in a flooded chamber after crushing most of them is somewhat humilating ?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23