Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23

Author Topic: The Chasm-Challenge  (Read 30624 times)

fleacircus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Chasm-Challenge
« Reply #120 on: March 28, 2008, 07:27:00 pm »

Still in mid-spring. I'll try not to post too many long bits like that. Phew, I inherited quite a crazy fortress, there's more going on than I'm used to. I thought I wouldn't need to take notes but it looks like I will. Snugglebear feel free to post any comments  :)

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 28, 2008, 07:50:00 pm »

Egads. I just got a most vivid image of the crazed dwarves riding the spire down into the core.

I hope you manage to actually move everything inside.
Could we get some stats too? What's the current population? Still many tantrums?

Oh, and sign me up for a second tour. Can't let this one be :P (my first bloodline game actually)

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

fleacircus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 28, 2008, 09:56:00 pm »

Here's the z-screen:

We're back up to 59 dwarves. The plump helmets get eaten as fast as they are made...

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 28, 2008, 10:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by fleacircus:
<STRONG>
The child waved the scepter. "The wall is done.  Build no more fortifications, for no dwarf will walk them. For they protect nothing. Raise the bridge! We shall not trade this year."
</STRONG>

"This is an exceptionally Designed wall by Kogan Loloklam. It menaces with spikes of fortifications"

;)

Come on, you got to admit, it was clever, if anyone would ever be assigned to walk it, though it was a defilement and a blatant disregard for the sacred charter...   ;)

I wish you the best of luck getting that twisted mass of chaos down into the chasm. At least the base for the ability to do so is there...

Edit: Oh, and I wish you'd use something like tinypic instead of imageshack. Imageshack is for the elves.

[ March 28, 2008: Message edited by: Kogan Loloklam ]

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

fleacircus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2008, 12:58:00 am »

I'll do better next time  :)

Well of course the beautiful wall is providing absolutely vital protection. And man, the cliffs have really turned into a maze...

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 29, 2008, 01:16:00 am »

Yea, you should chop down the cliffs to nothing. I did a little of it, but I didn't have the ability to finish what I started with the cliff chopping, since the colossus killed like, every frigging miner in the fort  ;)

Okay, okay, I confess, I killed a few myself by not watching them closely!

There, are you happy now?!?!?!

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 29, 2008, 01:32:00 am »

I can't decide which is  more haunting,  the mental image of the supposeded end of  chambergrave(s?) All the dwarf's riding it down into the chasm.

Or the image of the messiah child dwarf in mud and blood, shouting to the masses.
(Okay, that part needs someone to draw a picture of it!)

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 29, 2008, 06:42:00 am »

quote:
I can't decide which is more haunting, the mental image of the supposeded end of chambergrave(s?) All the dwarf's riding it down into the chasm.

Someone needs to make a hair-metal song about that.

But seriously, both images are pretty vivid.

Dopefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 29, 2008, 10:19:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by nahkh:
<STRONG>
Someone needs to make a hair-metal song about that.

But seriously, both images are pretty vivid.</STRONG>

The image most vivid to me is one rather similar to that one scene near the end of Doctor Strangelove.  A dwarvern version of Slim Pickens riding the spire and whooping as it plummets into the depths of the earth.

I dunno.  The notion amused me at the very least.

~Swim, Swim, Hungry.~~

NPComplete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 29, 2008, 12:52:00 pm »

Well, looks like we're still hanging in there.

Why are dwarves still immigrating to this cursed hole?

Also, Akroma, have you tried the map lately?  Are you still getting awful FPS?

[ March 29, 2008: Message edited by: NPComplete ]

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 29, 2008, 05:06:00 pm »

I was bored, so I decided to download the most recent file myself just to goof around. However, I've made a new goal: I'm building a new Trade Depot inside the chasm  :p
quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 29, 2008, 07:24:00 pm »

Akroma, could you add me to the player list for a second round? I'm itching for more chasm fun.

And NPComplete, they keep immigrating to get away from the accursed sun. Also the property tax is lower.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 29, 2008, 09:21:00 pm »

Yea, ditto  ;)

fleacircus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2008, 01:39:00 am »

* The dwarves of Chambergraves, while inspired by the Baroness's demands to build a protective wall in 1055, endured such slaughter in the process that by 1056 they were demoralized and unsure of what direction to take, though they enjoyed the safety from immediate external destruction.

* Led by the ravings of a disturbed child, the fortress came under the sway of the more isolationist dwarves who, rather than exploiting the child's image for their own gain, seem to have been genuinely inspired. They are opposed by Lokum Kilrudneth, Mayor and soon to be champion, who came to Chambergraves a simple cheese-maker.  The Mayor considered the more extreme isolationist plans to be approaching communal suicide. However he could not directly move against the isolationists.

* Work starts on removing the large outdoor stockpiles and workshops, while at the same time building space inside the chasm and the spire too hold the fortress's quite large inventory. Almost all of the military is decommissioned, and nearly every dwarf is tasked with construction and hauling duties. A wave of migrants is one by one given a trowel and a mortarboard and sent into the depths of the chasm to work.

* During the whole year, traders are not permitted in. They stay outside the fortress walls, holding camp and muttering, and eventually leave. One trader from the east shouts curses all day and warns he will not go anywhere until he trades. By this time the depot has been reduced to rubble and is being picked for valuable items to haul inside. The trader is ignored. True to his word, he stays put until he dies of thirst where he stands, right outside the fortress wall. His mule dies with him in the same way with the same attitude.

* The chasm does not yet have access to drinking water. As the condition of two wounded dwarves worsens, the Mayor orders the bridge be lowered to give access to the stream.  While some dwarves go to get water other dwarves rush off to get various equipment left laying outside, taking many livestock with them, getting lost among the stairwells cut into the cliff. The Mayor stands ready to raise the old armies of the fortress and command them to victory if so much as a kobold appears. But the child-prophet runs around haranguing the dwarves to get back isnide, forbidding that they touch various things with some elaborate ritual. Additionally some key stairwells are cut to isolate the clifftop from the bottom. All dwarves are retrieved safely and there is no attack all year in fact. The Mayor's faction loses much power.

* A water supply is created in the chasm, but too late for the wounded who die of thirst anyway. Apparently there is an act of heroism here, where the floodgate to fill up the pond is not quickly closed, and starts to overflow and cascade down into the fortress's food stockpiles.  The tax collector braves the long, perilously narrow bridge with water flowing over it to reach the lever. Though some describe the scenario as "win-win".

* Food and drink is moved in as fast as floor space can be created for it. At the same time some of the larger natural ledges within the cavern are opened up and then the other stockpiles are moved to those, although this is not a permanent solution, the isolationists never tire of reminding everyone.

* The isolationists meanwhile sever the magma connection between the spire and the world outside, and take steps to create a better pool of drinking water that can travel with the spire when it falls into the chasm. The pool is eventually deemed not large enough, but plans for a pool taking up a whole level of the spire are not implemented, as construction work cannot be spared for anything elaborate.

* A human diplomat inside the fortress at the beginning of the year is ignored by the isolationists, and in his recklessness throws himself off a walkway to splatter on a ledge-stockpile far below. However other diplomats and representatives manage to get out cleanly when one of the two waves of migrants are let in, and their tales are the source of much of this history.

* Bit by bit, the old fortress is stripped and crammed inside the chasm. An old stockpile of food by an abandoned farm is rediscovered. An artifact door left in some old sleeping quarters outside the wall is retrieved by tunnel, then the tunnel is sealed.  The large open yard that was once the heart of the fortress is now just a field of refuse and horrifying memories.

* The isolationists, having accomplished all of their goals by early winter, now argue among themselves about the best course of action, and get embroiled in details about how to eventually sever the spire completely from the chasm, and what to do about the complex upper works.  The Mayor siezes the opportunity and orders a depot structure set up, and begins to say that perhaps now is the time to make the fortress a home again, establish a small but capable military, get production and trade going, do some real work towards providing housing and meeting the demands of the nobility, and live like decent dwarf-folk. This talk becomes popular among dwarves numbed from months of toil and sloppy, rushed masonry jobs.  The Baronnes, who all year has been a strong silent supporter of the prophet-child and the isolationists, now seems pleased with her newly engraved room and its arifact door that the Mayor provided, and has stopped attending the meetings of the WAFD.  The prophet-child, too, has not issued any new urgent commands, and as 1057 rolls around the fate of Chambergraves is still uncertain.

fleacircus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 30, 2008, 02:03:00 am »

A pretty boring year, but maybe we were owed one!

There are three z-levels we're not using below the bottom part of the spire. If we had some glass we could give the lowest one a glass bottom...

Lever key:

File:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=78

Sorry about all the orthoclase... my attempt at a residential level turned into a real mess.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23