Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Glovebreakfast, the spiritual successor to Boatmurdered  (Read 14889 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Glovebreakfast, the spiritual successor to Boatmurdered
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 11:52:00 am »

I'd like to sign up, if possible.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Mido

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2008, 02:56:00 pm »

Trimming off parts of the area didn't work out so good. Lots of good resources were lost, and dangerous creatures stopped showing up. It went from carp, cougars and elephants to deer and hoary marmots. And a number of other bad things. Sorry people, but I'm sticking with the 6x6 area. Those of you with crappy computers are just going to have to suck it up and quit whining. And just bite the bullet and upgrade your computer, its seriously worth it.

If it is any consolation, the map doesn't have very many Z levels so it should still run pretty good.

You see a green wiggly

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2008, 02:58:00 pm »

I shall play. I just hope that my joining won't cause this game to die suddenly like it seems to do to everybody else.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008, 03:27:00 pm »

Jeez, I need to label my succession games with "boatmurdered"! People are flocking to it like bugs to a lantern!
quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

Mido

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2008, 03:39:00 pm »

First post updated. For all those who said they would like to join in, reread the first post.
You see a green wiggly

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2008, 03:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Hmmm...  I'm not sure how wise it would be to try to create a spiritual successor...  Boatmurdered was what it was because it "happened" to have everything go the way it did.  It wasn't actively trying to be Boatmurdered, it just was.
</STRONG>

I very much agree, and i'm pretty skeptical of any fortress/story that is trying to recreate or attach itself to a classic.  The Boatmurdered guys weren't trying to make a miasmatic hellhole, they were trying to make a well run fortress.

Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Mido

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2008, 04:01:00 pm »

quote:
I very much agree, and i'm pretty skeptical of any fortress/story that is trying to recreate or attach itself to a classic. The Boatmurdered guys weren't trying to make a miasmatic hellhole, they were trying to make a well run fortress.

As are we. By no means do we plan on intentionally making a disaster of a fort. Glovebreakfast simply takes inspiration from Boatmurdered in that those posting their journal entries in this thread will do so in a witty, sarcastic way that could be considered satirical. We are not, I repeat, NOT trying to make "Boatmurdered 2". We simply want to create something that will make people laugh in much the same way Boatmurdered did.

You see a green wiggly

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2008, 04:07:00 pm »

If light of recent updates, I reiterate my express wish to join this fine troupe. I am Nahkh, engineer extraordinaire, also known as "the Devils plumber".
I would also express my desire to perfect my Goblin and Elf (mostly Elf) -repellent hydromechanical device (the current working title of which is "Eat watery death you leafy bastards!", but my publicist is advising me to revise that. Some utter nonesense about "leafy" being a speciesist slur. He came highly recommended.)

Some facts.
-I have indeed read all of Boatmurdered, and I enjoyed it immensely. I promise not to try and build an antechamber of darkness ^^
-You'll just have to infer that one
-Eh, about six months of experience (is that skilled or talented?), including the ridiculously doomed fortress of Chambergrave, the chasm challenge game.
-I refuse to give up my secret blueprints without due compensation :P

EDIT: The facts are in relation to the basic requirements. In order.

[ May 09, 2008: Message edited by: nahkh ]

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

critical miracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2008, 04:16:00 pm »

quote:
If you think you qualify, go ahead and ask to join in, but don't just post something like "I CAN JOIN PLZ KTHNX". Post a few sentences describing your writing/humor style, ideas you have, things you think you could do to contribute, etc.

I didn't realize there would be an essay portion.

[ May 09, 2008: Message edited by: critical miracle ]

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2008, 04:21:00 pm »

Ignore my previous post. I suppose I'll just have to hijack my sisters PC. A 1.66Ghz AMD processor should handle it. I can't miss an opportunity like this Sign me up(again) for an early position. When it does lag I suppose I can go on a cat slaughtering rampage.

Experience
-Have read boatmurdered, It was awesome.
-I suppose I could be considered Humorous although I haven't really shown it on these forums yet. I have written two other stories and am hosting a competition
-I have been playing Dwarf fortress since early February. That may not sound long but I have been playing it at any chance I get spare time. I have even played it more this week than GTAIV (which I have just recently bought).
-I consider myself to be creative. I also have a bit of experiance at crazy projects eg. Operation smash

[ May 09, 2008: Message edited by: A_Fey_Dwarf ]

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2008, 04:22:00 pm »

I'm still interested and qualified, my computer can easily handle 6x6, even cliffy 6x6.

And I like big construction projects.

Devath

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Insane Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2008, 07:07:00 pm »

Ah see now... Hmm... It would be pretty difficult for me to come up with stuff like that without a little practice, unfortunately. Obviously, this means people like Capn Mayday and his ilk would be the best qualified for stuff like this, but hey, its alright. I look forward to having a turn at some point, but am not exactly experienced with handling late-game issues... (nobles) Anyways, I haven't gotten my crazy engineer's badge yet, but I'm working on it... As for humor, well, it depends upon what the exact qualifications are. The prob is converting DF into something readable. Well, I look forward to the clarifications you have on these issues. Peace.

Also, I have some fabulous permanent residence plans...

[ May 09, 2008: Message edited by: Devath ]

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup." - Unknown

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2008, 07:43:00 pm »

This sounds like a lot of fun, but there are some rules I would appreciate some elaboration on, if possible.

quote:
Originally posted by Mido:
<STRONG>2. Don't do anything that makes things difficult for the next user. That means no flooding with water, setting demons loose, or anything else dumb like that.</STRONG>

What should be done if, for example, demons are set loose as a genuine accident? Should the player revert to the last save, or try to endure the consequences and survive the potential disaster even if it results in a significant blow to the fortress?

quote:
Originally posted by Mido:
<STRONG>4. Don't do anything that could be considered an exploit/cheating. For example exploiting drawbridges to kill enemies.</STRONG>

Since traps can be very powerful and easy to set up, they also probably could be considered an exploit. How should traps be handled in order to adhere to this rule?

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2008, 08:26:00 pm »

Alright, I would like to reiterate that I want to join. I made my first post pretty early, so hopefully you'll put me pretty high up on the list, right?   ;)

Anyway, style:

The only succession I've done before this one is the Chasm Challenge, which was quite fun. I try to mix in-character logs with out-of-character progress reports to keep everybody updated.

I'm not the best player in the world, but I've got everything down pretty well. Just a few things that I'm not quite as good at:
1. Military. I tend to use traps as primary defense. I'm just not as good as I could be at managing armor and weapons, and patrol/station designation.
2. Waterworks. Don't expect any glorious waterfalls after my year.

Things I AM good at:
1. Mining adamantine. My patented sacri-method will guarantee safe location of the demon pits at only the cost of a single hapless peasant and copper pick!
2. Monuments. I can do those. Less so on mosaics, though.

Hope I get a spot!

quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2008, 10:42:00 pm »

So many rules, so much ego, so many requirements...

Mmm, I guess I won't take part then.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9