Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: The Hall of Legends  (Read 58661 times)

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary Stories
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2008, 04:01:12 pm »

Shhh. ;)
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2008, 04:02:04 pm »

No, be loud about it! Jamni, you should totally add Last Dwarves in the World! We (I) demand it!!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2008, 12:09:30 am »

After all that hast gone past, year(s)(?), moves, I STILL think this shuld be stickied.

Also, what about the other two BotGs (3 and 4)?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2008, 12:21:56 am »

I agree, if you look in VN,F&G Toady stickied a thread. I thnk that someone should send him a PM and ask for this to be stickied.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2008, 02:16:45 am »

I probably should update this sometime soon.

I'll look into it tomorrow, after sleeping.

Thanks for the support people. ^^
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2008, 02:59:33 am »

Bah, stupid insomnia.
I have updated and fixed most of the links, as well as added the BoTG pages. Once BoTG V rolls around I'm probably going to need to put them in their own section or something...

As always, I take suggestions still to add to the list. If you find a story, or write one, that you feel is good enough to be added to the list of legendaries feel free to mention it and I will give it a look over.

Devath, I'll read through Questionable Ethics. It's an AlanL story, so it's almost certainly of good enough quality. However, I need to check it first.

I'm going to lobby to Toady to sticky this, merely because so many people have suggested as such and we now have the capability. Please do not take this as a request to annoy or irritate our awesome host. (although he might like being bugged... terrible I know.) He is normally very quick about answering his private messages and important threads, so I know he'll be quick to give his say-so about the matter.

Much awesomeness and peace.

~Jami

P.S. w00t! 50th post!

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2008, 10:49:56 am »

it might be helpful to separate the game based DF stories like boatmurdered from the forum games, like tacticus, people would be able to find what kind of stories they are looking for more easily
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2008, 05:01:14 am »

Is this ...
A Kobold's Quest - The story of Fale Thimaiyilo, Kobold Adventurer.
Sadly, this story has been lost to the ever-shifting pages of the internet.
If you ever find a link to this story please let me know about it!

... this?

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2008, 05:39:55 am »

Just a quick comment regarding keeping things up to date - if you're listing Nist Akath in sections, then given the title has changed (chapter ending, I think) you might want to either list "Betrayal in the Tundra" as complete and "Brethren of the Tundra" as the latest, incomplete section - or lump it all together as one story, with links to the (rough) beginning of each chapter. There might even have been a separate chapter dedicated to the recent adventure mode escapades which could be mentioned in its own right, but I can't remember now.

Or you could just leave it as it is, as it pleases you.

Also, another thread that's broken into chapters and might merit this sort of treatment is Migrursut, which has had its title changed three times since it was "Utopia in the wastes", and <extreme bias alert> I think that the list of creatures which dominate its landscape should be altered to include donkeys </extreme bias alert>

Anyway, this is a good thread for linking to the best stuff in this section of the forum, and nice to see it stickied. ;-D

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2008, 06:02:51 am »

Just a quick comment regarding keeping things up to date - if you're listing Nist Akath in sections, then given the title has changed (chapter ending, I think) you might want to either list "Betrayal in the Tundra" as complete and "Brethren of the Tundra" as the latest, incomplete section - or lump it all together as one story, with links to the (rough) beginning of each chapter. There might even have been a separate chapter dedicated to the recent adventure mode escapades which could be mentioned in its own right, but I can't remember now.

Or you could just leave it as it is, as it pleases you.

Also, another thread that's broken into chapters and might merit this sort of treatment is Migrursut, which has had its title changed three times since it was "Utopia in the wastes", and <extreme bias alert> I think that the list of creatures which dominate its landscape should be altered to include donkeys </extreme bias alert>

Anyway, this is a good thread for linking to the best stuff in this section of the forum, and nice to see it stickied. ;-D

Or just put it as Nist Akath, and leave it at that.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2008, 09:28:03 am »

The reason I split Nist Akath into two different sections is because of two main factors: It's length, and it's structure.

For the first twenty pages or so, Nist Akath is about survival in one of the most voltile and dangerous envirornments known to dwarf. Skeletal elks ravenge the populance, the Elves betray the captain and pay the price, and numerous dwarves go insane, die of thirst, are crushed in unexpected cave-ins, or jump down the suicide shaft. However, around the time that the name of the tale changed to 'Betrayal in the Tundra', the focus and the style of the story changed significantly. Now "Fear the winter" has become stable enough to support it's citizenry, and instead Ironblood finds himself facing trechery and betrayal from within his walls. To reflect this change in the style, I've added two entries. The first is for the roots of Nist Akath, the deaths of Metalax, She-Axe, Nagash, Onul the unclaimed and many others, while the second representing the tale of Ironblood, the force attempting to kill him, and the progeny. Mostly, I haven't felt that the latest name-change was a big enough diversion from the current arc to warrent a third entry.

Captain, if you want me to change it to only one entry I'll do so, as it is your story. ^^
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 09:50:30 am by Jamini »

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2008, 10:29:50 am »

Also, I need a second opinion on the inclusion of Zaneg Thazor; Armok Incarnate. Certainly the events within the story are epic, but...

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2008, 09:15:26 am »

It's epic true, but a tad too short and forgotten to be legendary IMO.
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2008, 01:41:50 pm »

I'm going to have to agree with Pruvan. While amusing and possibly an epic character it's certainly not !!Legendary!! in terms of the story itself.

Again, I would like to submit this one for consideration. It's incomplete, but very unique.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19727.0

Perhaps it would be possible to set up a voting system where a thread has to pass a 80% yes it's epic vote to be included in the list. Voters would have to read the thread of course...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 05:37:52 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Muno syoan

• Bay Watcher
  • Victory dance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2008, 06:57:32 pm »

The link to boatmurdered appears to be duff. I'm getting a 403 and a 404 simultaneously.
The use of violence is justified only under a tyranny which makes reforms without violence impossible, and should have only one aim, that is, to bring about a state of affairs which makes reforms without violence possible.
-- Karl Popper, The Open Society
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14