Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: The Woodsman  (Read 13745 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Woodsman
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2008, 10:29:00 pm »

The idea of having an orphan child show up might be an interesting story line.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2008, 10:41:00 pm »

Yes, but not now.  He is going to have visitors, but that's a long time coming.  He's got to at least finish his house first.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2008, 10:58:00 pm »

Pretend I can read the posts right above mine, where this precise exchange already happened.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2008, 01:38:00 am »

Just making sure.  Not everyone reads threads these days.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2008, 02:47:00 am »

Companion works for me in 38c, why doesn't it work for you?   :confused:
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2008, 03:24:00 am »

Well, first time I tried it, I think I must've missed some download somewhere along the line.  Either that, or I messed up on versions.  Or something.  I really have no clue what it was that happened.

Anyways, now I have the nice tied-up-with-a-bow-on-top .exe version, and that works swimmingly.  I've been mucking around with it for a bit, but the save I'm working off of is still unaltered.  I don't really know what I'd use it for, except killing off more migrants by exploding their lungs.  Frankly, I don't know my way around it all that well right now...  I don't want to risk something blowing up in my face that I didn't specifically tell to blow up.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2008, 04:21:00 am »

An .exe version of Companion? Interesting, where could I download that?
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2008, 04:28:00 am »

There's a link from the thread in general discussion.  The .exe is essentially just a package of everything DC needs to run, minus all the scripts.  I suppose I should point out that it's not really an .exe, it just has an installer.

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2008, 06:56:00 am »

great story and writing. just wondering, couldn't you melt down the kobold copper daggers and make yourself a pick? Feel undwarfish not to try. and considering that you have to chop down the kobolds to get the metal I still feel it is approriate for the challenge.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2008, 07:05:00 am »

I'd need two things for that.  A fire-safe material (wood doesn't qualify), and a fire-safe anvil (mud doesn't qualify).

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2008, 07:39:00 am »

Galena Twentieth, 1056

A fox came walking through the building site today, seeming almost oblivious to the wooden walls it was walking through.  I caught it, butchered it, and have now decided that I can't let more perfectly good skins go to waste.  I'm setting up a tanning rack for the skins I pick up from hunting, as well as the facilities needed for processing them into something useable.

To be quite honest, I think the first thing I have to make with them would be some new clothes.  The ones I'm currently wearing, the same ones I've been wearing for four years now (has it really been that long?), are in some rather pathetic states of disrepair.  

I've started to take down the brewery shack in order to make way for the rest of the first floor.   I'll feel slightly better once everything's been walled off, instead of the rather drafty setup it's in now.

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2008, 11:06:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>I'd need two things for that.  A fire-safe material (wood doesn't qualify), and a fire-safe anvil (mud doesn't qualify).</STRONG>

Sometimes I really wonder how humans ever managed to get into the iron age....

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2008, 02:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Quift:
<STRONG>

Sometimes I really wonder how humans ever managed to get into the iron age....</STRONG>

Dwarven trade caravans?

You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2008, 02:01:00 pm »

The unfortunate thing with killing off all the invaders (migrants, merchant liasons), is that they leave all their stuff behind.  The side of the map is getting cluttered with random trade goods, and the Woodsman has taken it upon himself to not let any of those wonderfully warm clothes go to waste.

He's currently wearing two dresses and an extra sock, and there's not a damn thing I can do about it.  I really wish he'd pick something a  little more fashionable than a dress, but it turns out my civ only understands dresses, robes and tunics as far as upper-body wear is concerned.  Not the most clothing-attuned dwarves around, in other words.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2008, 09:35:00 am »

Granite Nineteenth, 1057

Work on the second floor is almost complete, and I've started to put part of the roof in place.  Work is slow and tedious, but the house is starting to take on a recognizable shape.  

I can't help but feel that there's something wrong with the way I'm putting this house together, but there's not much I can do about it now...

While I was up working on the roof, I heard a yowl from down below.  I looked down and saw Tabitha blaring her cat-siren as loud as she could, because yet another kobold was standing right in front of her hiding place.

The kobold slashed at the cat to quiet her, but Tabitha was too quick and dodged the strike, although the kobold still managed to give her a slight cut on her nose.  I ran down to get the thief but he had noticed me and was running away before I could get down.  There was no chance for me to catch him, so I just watched as he ran off and into the surrounding wildlands.

They've been getting far too common for my liking...  It would appear that my fears have been proven completely justified, the first little cretin who found me ran off and spread the good news.  I've probably been tacked onto every damn kobold's shopping list.  Easy pickings, just one dwarf in the woods!   Shiny bolts!  No traps!  Come one, come all!  Bring your filthy little cohorts along!

Well, I may not be in a good position to deal with these blighters as of now, but I'm going to make up for it all in time...  I'm going to make these little dog-men pay for every drop of blood they spill and every bolt they take from my stores.  I'm going to make them pay in the only thing the dirty little fiends have.  Blood.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7