Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 265

Author Topic: Nist Akath - The Complete Story  (Read 602876 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nist Akath. Brethren of the Tundra
« Reply #2850 on: February 27, 2009, 09:51:24 pm »

Gosta have that sewer brew

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2851 on: February 27, 2009, 10:34:39 pm »

I've muted TheToeBighter98 for the time being.  I gather he was trolling the thread and this wasn't part of some elaborate roleplay that started back 20 pages ago.

edit:  removed several of the relevant posts so that people would stop reporting them.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 08:10:21 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: February 28, 2009, 07:05:05 am »

I dunno PC games isnt really a graduation from console, because the console is becoming far superior graphically compared to the PC.

Actually this is a fairly typical phase of the console cycle. All consoles of a brand having the same hardware allows greater optimization of the software, especially over time as developers learn to get the most our of the specific hardware.

PCs, meanwhile, suffer their diversity for a time, befor improving hardware tells and they regain the lead.

Then a new generation of consoles is released using new hardware and the cycle starts again.

Of course, judging a game on the basis of graphics is pretty shallow, and the use of graduation here I'd take as meaning the broadening of one's horizons, and applicable both ways.

spoiler it just in case

Only in the DF forums would a significant plot-point from a previous chapter be considered a spoiler for future events.

And remember that the Soulsmith's critters have the ability to void the death-defying ability of the Progeny, so that won't necessarily be of much help to Ironblood. Likewise, as mentioned at the end of the fight against the two grey dragons, the Progeny aren't limited to one extra life, it's just that they ended up in a no-escape situation that they couldn't get out of(save the Captain's brother and his wife), no matter how many attempts they made.

The only way it would help Ironblood is if something without the Soulsmith's ability to void his respawn killed him first, unlocking the Progeny prestige class.

Of course, that would require something less than the Soulsmith himself being able to actually kill the blessed Captain, which is clearly an absurd and treasonous notion.

Maverick

• Bay Watcher
  • Ragle-fraggle, zip zop zoobity bop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: February 28, 2009, 08:43:31 am »

Maybe not, depending on what the trigger for the rebirth is. If it's who did the most harm, then yeah, things look bad. But if it's who deals the final blow, he's got a chance.
The +green glass screen+ explodes!
The flying green glass shard hits Maverick in the head!
It is badly gashed!
Maverick cancels Learn Dwarf Fortress: Job object lost or destroyed.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: February 28, 2009, 08:31:07 pm »

And remember that the Soulsmith's critters have the ability to void the death-defying ability of the Progeny, so that won't necessarily be of much help to Ironblood. Likewise, as mentioned at the end of the fight against the two grey dragons, the Progeny aren't limited to one extra life, it's just that they ended up in a no-escape situation that they couldn't get out of(save the Captain's brother and his wife), no matter how many attempts they made.

They are limited to one extra life. It's just that when they die, the day resets. Each of them gets one use of this ability. Therefore even when other progeny die, as long as there is one who hasn't used up his particular spare life, they will all be returned to life.
Only the one who used their spare will be returned with the memory of the immediately prior version of that day.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: March 01, 2009, 02:45:24 am »

Gah! Spoiler everything!!
I want to have a chance at being right.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: March 01, 2009, 09:05:12 am »

Sorry, I thought I conveyed this when I was writing the stuff originally.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: March 01, 2009, 10:04:28 am »

You did, but reposting it implies that it must not have been foreshadowing earlier, and may not be what happens. I may be over-reacting.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Maverick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: March 01, 2009, 10:17:38 am »

You know, I just thought about it... the Captain's brother clearly thought there was something important in Kal Berim, but seemed disappointed that it was a crumpet stash... so crumpets = Armok's power?
It is badly gashed!

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: March 01, 2009, 10:33:55 am »

I think what was in the cabinet was supposed to be a hint at who the acolyte is...
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #2860 on: March 01, 2009, 01:37:48 pm »

Well then... After reading for many days out of any spare time I could find, I reach today, the first of March, on which I am now up-to-date.

Captain, my Captain, I doubt that even you could have surmised how spectacular a story about a group of dwarves with meager supplies in a frozen hell-hole could become. I doubt that you could have foreseen that you would create a fan-club not only for yourself, but also of a character, digital data no less, out of a fortress in DF. Then again, you are Captain Mayday. Who knows...

I must say that this is one of the best stories I've read, but it's also astounding that you simply place a creative description on what actually goes on in the game, and that your mastery of the game (with some mastery of DFC, too) is the reason why we currently have close to three thousand posts. You have achieved excellence in a worst-case-scenario, conquering Dwarf Fortress, as it seems, and then writing pretty words to go along with it. Both skills require congratulations, and I heartily congratulate you. More than that, I thank you for an addictive source of entertainment that has wholly enthralled me for many days.

To me, it sort of seems selfish to post that you just got done reading, posting a thanks, then asking for a spot in the fortress. I have thought so reading every request throughout this immense epic. Though now that I have also finished, the knowledge that I can possibly be even less than a speck in the tales of Nist Akath... it is nearly overwhelming. So I merely ask that you, Captain Mayday, grace me with the opportunity.

Name: Chaos
Race: Dwarf
Profession: A Hammerdwarf
Note: If it is at all possible, if he could be somehow involved with Armok or Armok's following. Not to ask for Progeny, necessarily, but perhaps a member of a group that religiously venerates him.

Again, I merely ask that I be allowed the honor. If Nist Akath is to end without my character, then that is fine, for I am already happy that Nist Akath was alive on my watch, rather than complete before I could presently realize its greatness.

It feels somewhat wrong to have this in the same post, but I'd rather not double post. So please excuse me, Captain, while I partake upon the other discussions in the thread.

About the consoles: I disagree with consoles being in any way superior in hardware to the PC. The XBOX 360 is the bleeding edge of XBOX 360, if you understand what I mean. The same goes for all consoles. However, if you take a PC, you can easily destroy any console with bleeding edge hardware. Pump it up to a terabyte of storage, terabyte of ram, triple the graphics cards, GPU, etc. The problem is, is that consoles are all considered standard. With a PC, you could have anything, but with a console you know exactly what you have. If you compare a Windows 95 that someone is no doubt lurking on somewhere across the internet, it's easy to declare that even something like the playstation or the ps2 is superior. For even middle-class computers, the next gen consoles might still be considered superior. But when you pit the cream of the crop of consoles against the cream of the crop of PCs, it's simply no contest. I will, however, concede that there are some console-only games that are better than a large quantity of PC releases. Even with emulators, the console format is still necessary. In that respect, I can see consoles having the upper hand. I know that this is still an opinion, but I try to base my opinions on as much fact as possible.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
« Reply #2861 on: March 01, 2009, 02:05:34 pm »

1 TERABYTE of RAM ._. Dear God...

That's how many bits of health the Cap'n would have on an RPG. So just imagine a computer as powerful as the Cap'n!
..."I bumped Nist Akath and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"...

Maverick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: March 01, 2009, 02:24:54 pm »

No, that's okay... you go ahead and imagine for us. I'd rather not have a figment of my imagination sprout a beard and beat me to death from the recesses of my mind, thank you.

Also, I'm not so certain about the cabinet being a clue. It was pointed out when the brother was saying that not all the artifacts were productions of the Soulsmith.
It is badly gashed!

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: March 02, 2009, 05:26:11 am »

Ah, ok, so his wife used hers in the dragon fight, leaving the Captain as the only one with a spare.

Yet more proof these forums have an irrational obsession with spoiler tags.

All he's doing is clarifying what he was trying to convey in light of fan speculation being a little off in it's interpretation of past events.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #2864 on: March 02, 2009, 06:32:29 am »

In terms of game quality, that isn't a fair comparison between even the consoles. It is up to the developer to make a quality game, not the console. Currently, PC's get the short end of the stick with developers; consoles are much easier to develop for, as stated. They have no variations. I don't think that trend will change until consoles become easily upgradable. At which point, they become PC's.

A high-end PC can easily beat out a console, but at what cost? How much is a PC system that can equal or exceed a PS3's specs? I spent $1700 on a gaming rig last year. Even bought XP for it. That could have bought a PS3, Wii, and a crap load of games for both. Or I could have bought that '93 300ZX 2+2 for sale near me. Whats more, that system does not have the processing power of a PS3, and only a handful of games are able to match the typical PS3 game's graphics (more the fault of the developers though, really).

What was really sad about that rig is that after building it, I could not find a single PC game I wanted to spend more than 50 cents on. Not that the consoles are much better; I didn't buy a PS3 or Wii (don't do business with M$ normally) because they lack enough games to meet my minimum threshold for purchase. All the games I've bought in the last two years have been bargain bin PS2 and Gamecube games, with a few random GBA and PSP games. $1700, and all I ever played on it is a free MMO, DF, and the original Call of Duty. The only thing keeping me from doing the same with my laptop is the vista virus, which won't run CoD, and limits me greatly on the MMO and DF. Sorely tempted to go install XP. Just need to backup a bunch of stuff first. Or move it to the Linux partition. 
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 265