Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 265

Author Topic: Nist Akath - The Complete Story  (Read 602682 times)

Shikogan

• Bay Watcher
  • Comically insane
    • View Profile
Re: Nist Akath. Journeys of the Brother
« Reply #1965 on: August 05, 2008, 02:25:06 am »

Good golly, i hope my character is found soon, and i also need an update to remind myself why this thread is so great, not really but it helps.

Remind me what you wanted, please?

Well originally i wanted a human spearman but i think a human axeman would suffice as long as he's really good with a shield lol, i just really want this guy to somehow join the military if he reaches Nist Akath lol

so yeah just human axeman awesome with shields and pretty handy with that axe of his

EDIT: oh yeah his name is 'The Pidge' his crest is a red bird with talons extended for striking (imagine a hawk hunting) a childhood nickname that started when he befriended a bird whilst with his father cutting trees for his newly formed village. His father however was murdered by the cult trying to revive that god (can't remember his name for the life of me) and now has a vow to avenge his father by killing all cult members.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 06:18:14 am by Shikogan »
Arguing on the internet is like running in the special Olympics; even if you win you're still retarded.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: August 05, 2008, 05:50:02 am »

Dwarf axeman called Zak for me.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: August 05, 2008, 11:06:36 am »

The 25th of Felsite, 1064
Not long after our victory over the cyclops, we were joined by Kel Scarglazed, a stout axedwarf, and Shikogan "The Pidge" Goldbuds, a human halberdier with an apparently bloodthirsty quest for vengeance against a cult. Despite their unusual outlooks, it seemed like they would be our only additional companions and I had resolved to leave before the 25th of Felsite.

We travelled west to the town of Authormet, where we discovered the leader of the Fellowship of Fortifcations (a group the late cyclops had much to say about), and were surprised to discover he knew of us.

Akul Inkcombats, a seasoned warrior, wanted an enemy's head returned to him. Unlike my previous worries with the Tigermen, this presented no moral qualms. It was a lizardman he wanted, and although they, like the Tigermen, build homes, the Lizardmen are known to be vicious and foul creatures, often attacking dwarves seeking out new locations for mountain homes. Indeed, their homes resemble our own, at least in layout.

The target was a masterful thief, and I shuddered to think how many had suffered at its greed.
We ventured into the murk of cages forthwith.
The Pidge was particularly well pleased with the target, advising us that lizardfolk were well known as collaborators to the dark god he loathed so much.

What we found when we arrived surprised us. We hadn't expected a warm welcome, insofar as lizardmen are capable of such. But we weren't attacked on sight, and were allowed to roam the halls freely. an allowance my group made a great deal of profit off as we in turn stole the stolen treasures of the lizardmen.

Our activities, however, were uncovered by their leader, and our target, Dukxong Nationtrashes, who sounded the alarm on our illicit gathering, and fled the scene as the entire lair converged on our position.

We made heroes of ourselves that day. Though I must say that although Bonepicker fought admirably, he was overpowered by too many skilled foes, losing limb after limb to their savage claws.

I picked up his blade, and stood guard over him as the Pidge and Kel tended his greivous wounds.

I recall them saying that we had to get him out of there, if he was going to survive, but I could not help but wonder if maybe he would be better off being put out of his misery, whilst still unconscious.
He awoke for a moment though, babbling about his victories senselessly before passing out once more.
Not having the heart to kill him, we resolved to pull him free from the lair, to return him to Authormet.
The battle to escape was fierce, however, and required all our concentration. In the battle, Dukxong himself, paired with another of his lizards, descended upon Bonepicker, one of them plunging his silver dagger into my poor companion's head and twisting it sickeningly.

Then he turned on me, grinning in the face of his defeat, proclaiming his inevitable victory. I now believe he may have been insane.

Kel emerged from the shadows, hacking into the lizardman's shoulder before cutting off a leg.
Smashing the lizardman in the chest he left a gaping wound in the lizardman as the foul creature tumbled backwards towards the Pidge and myself.

Viciously we finished the job. I myself sliced the monster's head off in a blind rage before marching upon the cowering comrade of the dead leader, gutting it in a single stroke.

With the lair now empty or in retreat, we returned to Authormet as rich men, though I held Bonepicker's loss deep within my heart, and no riches could ever make that feeling go away.
We more or less emptied the entire town's coffers with that swag, and I stowed my portion in the ruined town of Dreamsbin.

Kodor stopped the story a moment as Burnedtoast entered with a carafe of wine.
Waiting for it to be poured, he took a sip and gazed levelly at his brother.
"That, dear brother, was my first run in with this cult."

"Why are you certain they were cultists?" inquired Captain Ironblood, casually dipping a crumpet in his wine before taking a bite.

"The imagery was present. It was definitely a group worshipping the Soulsmith."

"So clearly this was well before you decided to come back here." observed the Captain.

"Quite right. I had no reason to suspect, at the time, that my quarry may lay in your vicinity. Instead, I was consumed with a lust for vengeance and blood. Teamed with Kel and the Pidge, I set about trying to avenge Bonepicker by taking apart the entire cult."
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

darksaiyan

• Bay Watcher
  • Livin' with the dwarves since 2007
    • View Profile
    • The Game Reviews Database
« Reply #1968 on: August 05, 2008, 11:18:56 am »

Make me part of your group!
A dwarf or human hammerman/dwarf. I want to take apart the cult!

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: August 05, 2008, 01:55:52 pm »

Make me part of your group the cult!
A dwarf or human hammerman/dwarf. I want to take apart the cult your group!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: August 05, 2008, 07:08:57 pm »

Ah, sweet. I was wondering what purpose this adventurer log served, and now that the brother guy has met the cult, it seems that it's getting good.

Shikogan

• Bay Watcher
  • Comically insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: August 06, 2008, 06:35:35 am »

My good golly gosh, oh thank you my captain I salute you! (salutes Captain Mayday) this is turning out to be some good stuff! ...well even better stuff
Arguing on the internet is like running in the special Olympics; even if you win you're still retarded.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: August 06, 2008, 11:13:02 pm »

After not setting foot in this thread since the beginning of '08, I'm finally caught up. I'll admit, I wasn't really looking forward to the adventure section. It has exceeded all of my expectations so far. I'm sure finally seeing some new names helps some.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: August 06, 2008, 11:19:31 pm »

Yo's. Again, Kalen: Swordwarf and female. Has a hankerin' for the Bellsmaw, which got annihilated and stuff. If yer party's full, I do not mind waiting.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: August 06, 2008, 11:23:45 pm »

Again, resubmitting "Jreengus" the Crossbowbold (whenever there's a site of massive slaughter, you can be sure he occurred).  If your world didn't generate adventuring kobolds (or crossbow kobolds), I suppose you could have him "disguised" as an elf bowman, and use companion to change his race after the fact.  I *think* the game only checks equipment suitability when the creature tries to first pick it up.

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
« Reply #1975 on: August 07, 2008, 12:22:30 am »

Only 24 more posts until 2000! Surely a milestone to stand as testament to Nist Akath's glory!
..."I bumped Nist Akath and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"...

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: August 07, 2008, 01:43:51 am »

Again, resubmitting "Jreengus" the Crossbowbold (whenever there's a site of massive slaughter, you can be sure he occurred).  If your world didn't generate adventuring kobolds (or crossbow kobolds), I suppose you could have him "disguised" as an elf bowman, and use companion to change his race after the fact.  I *think* the game only checks equipment suitability when the creature tries to first pick it up.

I've still got him in the lineup. I might introduce him soon. There's going to be a part with kobolds.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: August 07, 2008, 04:21:30 am »

Yay, updates! Should have checked in more often...

Too bad i died, but it's great to be the driving force behind the story of sorts.

I was going to ask for a lisp, but nevermind.

Can i get another character? If so i want an Igor like character named Puzzleskull. With a lisp so he calls Kodor Marhster instead of Master. Preferably a reformed goblin of some sort.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: August 07, 2008, 08:21:51 am »

We investigated putting down the lizardman cults to the Soulsmith for years. It was 1068 by the time the next milestone in this story occurred.

In the intervening years I had managed to save my fortune, and spend it on a pair of Celestrial Steel short swords. Most stuff didn't have a second chance, and they could cut a man in half with relative ease.
We'd partnered with another twosome, a human wrestler named Boris and a dwarven Hammerer named Toranos.

Toranos was a hard nut, by any measure, though Boris had always been something of an embarrassment, spurning even the protection of armour in favour of his ego. We were taking out a cult lair at the behest of a local town leader when poor Boris had his throat slashed out by their wicked claws.

He bled to death before any of us could reach him, but Kel took swift vengeance upon his killer.
We pressed onwards, and pressed our luck in the process. I myself was set upon by 4 skilled enemies at once. Although my allies rushed to my aid, the damage was already done, and I was left a mere ruin.

The enemy was everywhere. And through my dazed senses, I heard my friends battling all around me, striking down cultists everywhere. I collapsed frequently into unconsciousness, the pain too much to bear.
My friends guarded me as I dragged myself free of the lair, and I was surprised to see it was daylight as I emerged. We must have spent a long time in that horrid place, for even now it was descending in the west.

I dragged myself against a tree and propped myself up.

I looked at my comrades. There was only Kel and The Pidge present.
"Where is Toranos?" I asked.

I could tell it was a painful question, as they shot a look at each other.
"We don't know." said Kel. "He just went off into the darkness. We were more concerned with getting you, and ourselves out of there."

"Did we at least kill the bastard we came to kill?" I asked them.

The Pidge shook his head. "Not to my knowledge. If Toranos managed to crack his skull, he's not here to gloat about it. We're going to have to come back."

He appraised me. "Once you've healed, that is."

I nodded. We returned to the nearby town where I spent some time resting, plotting our next strike.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 08:24:16 am by Captain Mayday »

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: August 07, 2008, 10:19:27 am »

Probably the strangest thing that happened in my time in recovery was the addition to a kobold to our group.
Jreengus, a bowman from a tribe destroyed by the cyclops we had slain as our opening quest in this region.

He was the last of his tribe, and, as it turned out, a companion to Budalus.
He was also an enemy of the Soulsmith, as all kobolds are the blessed creatures of Armok, and Armok, as you would know, is the sworn enemy of the dead Soulsmith.

With Jreengus in tow, we again descended into the depths.
This time we managed to locate the lair's leader, and slew him quite handily. The Pidge helped occupy him while I dealt a killing blow.

Then, however, it all turned sour. A lizardman miner wielding what I would later discover to be a shovel made of celestrial steel (the same material as my twin swords), and slammed it into The Pidge's side, severing his left arm.
I slew the monster in turn but The Pidge was laying on the floor, bleeding heavily and clutching his severed arm in disbelieving horror.

"Pidge!" I whispered urgently. "We need to get out of here. Cut and run, right?"
He didn't reply, just looked at his arm, cradling it like a child.

I picked up his shield, replacing my own, long lost shield.
"I shall bear this for you!" I swore, hoping to get some sort of feedback, but I got nothing.

Frustrated, I looked around the area, leaving Kel and Jreengus to stand guard over our fallen friend. Kel was already bandaging the wound and applying a tourniquet.

As I peered into the darkness, however, I found something horrible.

It was Toranos' corpse. I bent over it to examine the rotting body.
"My friend... I am sorry I..." I tried to apologise for my incompetence leading to his death, but was interrupted by another lizardman miner. This one wielding an Adamantine shovel.

I struck him down handily. But I was curious as to where they were getting these metals. I had also found other Celstrium alloys in other items, and they had no means to forge these themselves.
I wondered, privately, whether maybe they were granted to them by the Soulsmith himself.

After that miner fell to my blade, I noted other lizards sneaking upon my comrades.
Jreengus saw them before they acted, firing upon them, to little effect.
We swept towards them in battle, and, being down a man, not covering our rear flank. It was a decoy for their soldiers behind us, and they slew the Pidge as we downed them.

In a range we spun and cut them down for their actions.
With quiet restored to the corridor, I knelt over my fallen comrade and placed his shield on his chest, saying something to the effect of him no longer needing a shieldbearer in this world.

The guard who slew him, however, had a celestrial shield tower shield. Quite fancy for a lizard.

With that, we left that lair. Our quarry had been slain, and we were not equipped to fully purge the lair with our numbers so diminished. On the way out, mere steps from the exit, Jreengus was slain by a guard wielding a silver spear. I cut his killer down as we made our hasty escape back to the capital of Growlmachines.

It was there that we were met by the town's leader, Specut Joyousobeyed. Somebody had been talking, and she immediately greeted us with a sombre nod.

"You do good work, Ironblood." she said. "But you let one get away."

"You only sent us to kill one specific lizard." I told her.

"No, I think you'll want this one. Dukxong Empiresgleams. Just a recruit."

"Why does he matter?" I asked.

"He's been bragging, I'm told, about killing your friend Toranos. I think you'll find him back in the lair you've just come from."

"Thank you." I replied. "We'll 'investigate' as soon as we regain our strength."

"There's a good chap." she said, with a vicious grin.
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 265