Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 265

Author Topic: Nist Akath - The Complete Story  (Read 603432 times)

Grantyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nist Akath. Betrayal in the Tundra.
« Reply #915 on: February 03, 2008, 05:00:00 pm »

Yay! I finally have a dwarf!!! He's got an almost opposite personality, though. I'm still happy!!!

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: February 03, 2008, 05:29:00 pm »

For some reason, I must agree with the Captain on the whole crumpets thing.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: February 03, 2008, 05:49:00 pm »

How long until you completely depopulate the world of megabeasts?  It's been... what, 3 dragons, 3 titans, and 2 hydra?  I thought there were less than a dozen of the things generated to begin with.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
« Reply #918 on: February 03, 2008, 06:32:00 pm »

Crumpets... in Nist Akath...

:P Let's hope Cap'n Ironblood doesn't choke to death on a crumpet! I could only imagine the engravings depicting that situation...

Speaking of which, how is the skeletal population lately?

..."I bumped Nist Akath and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: February 03, 2008, 07:28:00 pm »

Cap'n, you are certainly using Dwarf Companion to its awesomest extent.

Also, you can rename dwarves in DC so that their first names don't have the quotes around them.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: February 03, 2008, 07:46:00 pm »

Also when you get a chance, could you give an update on the named characters in your fortress. I realise that virtually everyone is named these days, so it will be quite a task.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: February 04, 2008, 02:11:00 am »

I'll take care of any requests for existant dwarves when I get home.
I'll also try to show each of the named dwarves and their skills.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: February 04, 2008, 02:31:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Lemnx:
<STRONG>Speaking of which, how is the skeletal population lately?</STRONG>

At the moment, we can pretty much ignore it. Mostly just mills about, and gets chewed to bits by the traps.

Sometimes a dwarf has to go out to smash the daylights out of some, because their presence stops work on constructing the fort.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: February 04, 2008, 10:26:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by LASD:
<STRONG>Just reached the end of the story. Started from the beginning yesterday. Simply amazing! I'd love to have some part in this.

Name: Lasar
Profession: anything to do with building the colossal tower. Pacifist.

I still think the story is brilliant and I could take one of the male mason/miners. Or as it states above, so almost anything non-military . I could even take a female dwarf.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: February 04, 2008, 10:26:00 am »

Okay, going to give a run down of the dwarves I've added, and their major skills:
Balin - Competent Brewer, Skilled Grower, Master Miner, Talented Engraver, Skilled Mason.

Miki - Competent Butcher, Cook, Legendary Mason, Expert Grower.

Jirou - Professional Stone Crafter, Gorwer, Professional Bone Carver.

Helm - Novice Weaver, Adept Stone Crafter, Competent Leather Worker, Legendary Bone Carver, Clothier.

Grantyman - Cheese maker, Legendary Grower.

Flame - Proficient Grower, Mason.

Vugor - Fish Cleaner, Legendary Armor user, Legendary Wrestler, Legendary Shield User.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: February 04, 2008, 11:34:00 am »

The Events of the 20th of Limestone.
There was a commotion on the surface. The normally serene surroundings of Nist Akath trembled with mighty footfalls, scattering the generally fearless Skeletal Elk.

"MONSTER!" was the scream echoing down the halls. Nothing had caused a commotion like this in some time.

The military dwarves ran to the weapons stockpile as they felt the trembles in the earth around them, grabbing the weapons they knew best.
The Captain stood from his office chair, taking the axe from the mantle which it had rested on for so many years.

Bomrek backed towards the entrance as she viewed the bronze gleam on the horizon.
She heard a metallic shout "I am Ono Drunkenbrim, and I lay claim to this place! Relinquish to me, and I shall allow you your lives. You may have a few moments to consider my fair offer!"

It crossed her mind for a moment that his given name was actually quite ironic, but the moment passed and she was running for the entrance, ready to defend it with her life.
She knew of the Colossi, and that traps were unlikely to work to impede its progress.

Fortunately, the guards of the caravan were standing nearby. They would offer some help, she hoped, if it moved against them before they were ready.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: February 04, 2008, 11:39:00 am »

Ooh, plot!
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: February 04, 2008, 11:54:00 am »

say, where will you put your new master work bronze statue ?
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: February 04, 2008, 12:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Akroma:
<STRONG>say, where will you put your new master work bronze statue ?</STRONG>

the Capn' could use a new Tomb decoration, to go with all the dragon bone/hydrabone/titanbone decorations.

Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: February 04, 2008, 12:53:00 pm »

Events of the 21st of Limestone
The monster's perception of time was clearly skewed by its timelessness, and it held its position for hours rather than moments.

More than enough time to prepare a resistance.
The heroes of Nist Akath stood together, Captain Ironblood and Bomrek the Captain of the Guard at their lead.

There stood Nok, Bullion, Erendor, Nagash II, Doren, Adalore, Vanon, Moogel, Kast and Viktoria.

Within the fortress itself stood the seasoned guards, just in case.

The mood was grim as the monster advanced, its thundering voice shouting "Very well, foolish mortals. I shall take your fortress by force. Your blood shall stain the hallways, a mark of your shame! Your broken bodies will be laid low, crushed husks a mere echo of their former strength!"

Its taunts caused a few flinches amongst the line of dwarves, bringing anger to bear against the terror mounting in their hearts and the great creature thundered towards them. Its muscles shone bronze and strong in the sunlight.
It merely stepped over the carefully laid traps that had slain or captured so many creatures before it, chuckling as it did so.

Dwarves ran screaming from the fort, which stood nearby, abandoning their labors for the shelter of the deepest parts of the fortress.

Archibess remained at Captain Ironblood's side, hoping to have a word about her recent personal problems.

"Woman, do you mind!?" he shouted at her.
"But... I have issues!" she cried back.
"You'll have issues if that horrible monster catches you! Why do you think we're all so armored? We're not going to a fancy dress party, you know!"
"But... why are you the only one not wearing proper armor?" she asked.
"More fun this way. Didn't you hear about the time I fought a bear bare handed?" muttered the Captain, "I could tell it a thousand times..."
"I... er... better go inside..." interrupted Archibess.
"You do that." replied the Captain, gruffly, turning his attemption back to the monster approaching.

It closed the ground between them, and young Darktongue was the first to break rank and charge the creature, shouting curses at it that would turn his mother's ears red.

The others, left with little choice, charged after him.
The crossbowdwarves Nagash II and Erendor fired their first bolts of the battle against the monster, the bone bolts merely shattering against its hide.
It swatted aside Darktongue as it marched on the main body of troops.
Darktongue was sent sprawling, stunned but otherwise unhurt. A miracle given he had been struck in the head.
It turned, as an afterthought, and smashed him in the left leg, pain shooting up through his body. Gasping, Darktongue found himself unable to move.
Instead he was forced to look up into the impassive bronze face of his enemy.

He was forced to watch as Bullion stepped over him, thrusting forth a spear that no doubt prevented Darktongue's untimely death.
His next strike missed the colossus entirely, and it utilized the opportunity to grab hold of Darktongue by the armor still cladding his broken leg.

Bomrek charged in and was promptly knocked off her feet as the Colossus swung around to face her.

It was Captain Ironblood whose blow against the monster's grip freed Darktongue, but he lost his own footing in the process.
He grabbed the young warrior and dragged him away from the battle while it was distracted.
"Stay here, boy!" he commanded, as he regained his footing to rejoin the battle.

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 265