Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 265

Author Topic: Nist Akath - The Complete Story  (Read 603493 times)

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nist Akath. Betrayal in the Tundra.
« Reply #750 on: January 11, 2008, 08:43:00 pm »

Geeze, I take a week off for the start of school and come back to find my dwarf chucked himself down a hole.  Well, at least I don't have to sit about wondering what happened to him.  I look forward to seeing his engravings when the save file gets around.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: January 12, 2008, 08:31:00 am »

Captain's Log. 8th of Granite.
I've just had BurnedToast report to me that Zonhin, our 'Artist Extraordinaire', has become more... extraordinary than usual.
Disregarding the work assigned to him, making rock blocks, he set off and seized control of a crafts workshop in the bonefields.
BurnedToast also told me that he has taken some garnierite, turtle shell, lots of cave lobster shell, some aventurines, and is now screaming about needing logs.

Not to see a promising artist go to waste, and disliking the inordinate amount of screaming, I immediately ordered the deconstruction of the carpenter's workshop, given it is made entirely of wood.
I subsequently gave the order for its reconstruction using sensible stone blocks.

After getting his hands on the last of our precious wood, he began working, and stopped screaming.

The Baron, however, started screaming because he just received word that an Elven Noble has arrived for a diplomatic conference with him, and as we all know, the Elves are totally mad.
This, however, does not upset me so much as amuse me.

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: January 12, 2008, 08:35:00 am »

Captain's Log. 14th of Granite.
It appears that I'm now laughing on the other side of my face, since the Elven merchants have just arrived, while I was attending a meeting with a farmer who was unhappy with the fact that he's not been getting any work.

He refused to understand the problem that the fortress is now overflowing with food, he has done his job that well.
In frustration I told him to head down to the bottom and start making blocks.

I doubt he was very pleased, but he's not in charge.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: January 12, 2008, 08:55:00 am »

Captain's Log. 17th of Granite.
Zonhin is finally finished, having created a highly decorated garnierite scepter he he has named 'The Hoary Glimmer' for reasons unknown.
It's presumably able to double as a weapon with all the spikes coming off of it.

He has engraved three images into it. The first is of a dwarf striking down another dwarf. Presumably this is a commentary on our justice system.
The second is of a goblin striking down a dwarf. Obviously a reference to the horror of war.
Finally, in keeping with the maudlin tone, the third image is of Elves and Dwarves speaking with each other.

I told him that I didn't like it and that he could go stick it up his nose. Or at least I would have done, had I not been talking with some Elves at the time.

Speaking of that, the Elves are appalling traders. They seemed to have brought a section of forest with them, and traded it away for a single sock.
I am, however, an honourable soul, and immediately offered them their stock back so that we could negotiate a fair deal.

This apparently caused an immediate diplomatic incident, because it seems that Elves can immediately forget what they have just traded away.
I feel this is a tad on the unscrupulous side, and that they come hoping we'll do things like this so they can go home and talk about how horrible dwarves are, relating us to their obviously incorrect stereotypes, which would be exactly what you could expect from those horrible Elvish bastards.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: January 12, 2008, 09:20:00 am »

Captain's Log. 2nd of Slate.
I ordered the bottom of the great hall's pool be opened today.
Partly this is to give poor Nil a more dignified resting place. Mostly this is to get Deler Silverpaints to stop bugging me about doing it.

When I asked her why she was so adamant about getting it drained, she told me she also had a boot down there.
When I said the only things down there belonged poor Nil, she flat out told me that 'he isn't using it anymore.'

Quite disturbing.

I had a child perform the opening of it, since she volunteered and would otherwise probably be involved in this newfangled music with rocks in it.
I don't approve.

In any case, the result was your typically blast of water, and a flooded pet cemetery. And you'd thought those animals had already suffered enough.
The child apparently barely got out of there alive.

I hope Deler is happy, because I'm bloody not.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: January 12, 2008, 10:56:00 am »

Captain's Log. 12th of Hematite.
At last, the workforce of Nist Akath is in full swing, and it is a glorious sight.
Dwarves labouring everywhere to form an icon. An icon that will symbolize the essence of our very race.

At the same time, our old foes the Goblins have joined us.
It would be more worrisome if it weren't for the fact that we simply seal the gates, and don't particularly care if they stay or go.

For the first time in a long time, removing the goblin menace is a low priority.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: January 12, 2008, 11:59:00 am »

A New Arrival, on the 3rd of Malachite.
"Captain!" shouted a mason, pointing from the current summit of the Hammer Tower into the distance.
But for once the Captain was the first in the know. He had already spotted the creature advancing from the south.

"Dragon." he muttered, and turned to the mason. "You should get inside."

The Captain himself met with the crossbowdwarves Erendor and Nagash II, two of the finest shots in the land.

"I don't know what's going to happen, lads, so be ready. The goblins are already out there, so it's a mystery what will happen with this Dragon. Do we know which it is?" he asked.

Nagash began shaking his head as BurnedToast arrived and answered the question.
"Her name is Cime Tragictroubled. She's responsible for the burning of an entire human village. That place is now considered cursed and is little more than a burnt husk of its former self. No activity recently, however."

"Lucky us, then." grumbled the Captain.
=======================================

Moments later, the Dragon was on the move, hunting the first things it saw. In this case, it meant Goblins.
Much like a cat, it stalked towards them, snarling.
The Goblins, to their credit, fired upon it bravely, barely scratching it, and their warriors ran to greet it.
They were met by dragon flame, which, although it scorched the snow from the ground, searing the clay beneath into ceramic, did little besides singe them considerably.

With their superior numbers, they were able to overcome it.

The Captain and his soldiers watched the scene with interest from behind the walls.

Turning to Erendor and Nagash II, he motioned towards the catapult bunker that the goblins had moved all-too-close to in their struggle, and without a word the crossbowdwarves were off.

The goblins sat, unaware at the peril advancing, catching their breath from the epic struggle they had just been in.

Suddenly crossbow bolts sang as they flew through the air, finding homes in limbs and torsos.
The goblins screamed, and those unharmed ran screaming for safety, away from the two soldiers. Away from Nist Akath.

From the Hammer Tower's summit, the Captain watched, smiling, surveying the carnage wrought upon the goblins.
"It's a good start," he said, to nobody in particular, "now we just need to do the same to the rest of them, and we'll be free to roam beyond the walls once more."

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
« Reply #757 on: January 12, 2008, 06:47:00 pm »

Epic as always.

I would only imagine what it would take to destroy Nist Akath.

(Since you plan on eventually doing so, I hope you have an idea.)

..."I bumped Nist Akath and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"...

Khosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: January 12, 2008, 09:00:00 pm »

I'm just curious what it would take to take down the Captain alone.  Machine gun crossbows is the best bet.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: January 13, 2008, 12:25:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Mayday:
<STRONG>
I had a child perform the opening of it, since she volunteered and would otherwise probably be involved in this newfangled music with rocks in it.
I don't approve.</STRONG>
Hahahaha~!

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: January 13, 2008, 05:04:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Lemnx:
<STRONG>Epic as always.

I would only imagine what it would take to destroy Nist Akath.

(Since you plan on eventually doing so, I hope you have an idea.)</STRONG>

I do have an idea. An idea that should be considerably easier should armies not require a regen.

That failing, there are other methods.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 13, 2008, 06:25:00 am »

damn, if only they gobos didn#t kill the dragon

you could have captured even more megabeasts

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

DuncanFrost

• Bay Watcher
  • Urban Legendary
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt account.
« Reply #762 on: January 15, 2008, 05:54:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Mayday:
<STRONG>
I don't approve.</STRONG>

Pratchett reference?!   :eek:

Toady looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
Toady has butchered a spammer!

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: January 15, 2008, 06:04:00 am »

Yes, it certainly is.
I also considered the phrase "Rock and Coal"

Daniel Charms

• Bay Watcher