Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 265

Author Topic: Nist Akath - The Complete Story  (Read 603501 times)

DreaDFanG

• Bay Watcher
  • Hungry
    • View Profile
Re: Nist Akath. Betrayal in the Tundra.
« Reply #720 on: January 08, 2008, 09:00:00 am »

Ever tried a flood-chamber? A simple room with water entering and a open ramp to a lower chamber and drainage.
Upper/Dry, Upper/Wet, Lower/Wet
####O####  ####O####  ####X####  ` Floor    . is just filler
#````````.#  #~~~~~~~#  #~~~~~~.#  # Wall
#````````.#  #~~~~~~~#  #~~~~~~.#  O Water intake
#````v```.#  #~~~v.~~~#  #~~~^~~.#  = Door (locked for lower)
#````````.#  #~~~~~~~#  #~~~~~~.#  ^v Up+Down stairs/ramp
#````````.#  #~~~~~~~#  #~~~~~~.#  X Water Outtake
####=####  ####=####  ####=####  i Lever
````-``i````  ````i``-````  ````-``i````  - Pulled Lever
Pull wrong top one and its semi-permanently flooded...other one just closes intake...or whatever
Sorry if the illistration isnt alined right.
Can also be used with lava but that requires melt resistant materials...

[ January 08, 2008: Message edited by: DreaDFanG ]

Smash me and I shall rise again, but not make stupid threads that get me muted.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: January 08, 2008, 09:29:00 am »

as interesting as this sounds, I must object

nist akath is far out in the tundra, and since there are now ambushes every few miles when traveling , it is already hard enough to get rid of all the ice wolves and whatever develish abomination is waiting for you, reaching nist akath will be almost impossible with an unskilled adventurer.

Now with all of those traps that kill you for just pulling 1 wrong lever, it will be extremely frustrating to save-scum through all of it

also, you should concider the hydra and the dragon as some sort of boss-monsters placed somewhere inside nist akath, and entering it should trigger a pressure plate that releases them

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: January 08, 2008, 10:47:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Akroma:
<STRONG>
also, you should concider the hydra and the dragon as some sort of boss-monsters placed somewhere inside nist akath, and entering it should trigger a pressure plate that releases them</STRONG>

And locks the door you just came through, at which time you have to scour the (preferably huge) arena for one pressure plate to unlock the doors.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: January 08, 2008, 11:57:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Akroma:
<STRONG>as interesting as this sounds, I must object

nist akath is far out in the tundra, and since there are now ambushes every few miles when traveling , it is already hard enough to get rid of all the ice wolves and whatever develish abomination is waiting for you, reaching nist akath will be almost impossible with an unskilled adventurer.

Now with all of those traps that kill you for just pulling 1 wrong lever, it will be extremely frustrating to save-scum through all of it

also, you should concider the hydra and the dragon as some sort of boss-monsters placed somewhere inside nist akath, and entering it should trigger a pressure plate that releases them</STRONG>

Actually, these are traps that I should be giving a psuedo-map to getting around. It's the traps at the gates that are more dangerous.
So yeah, once it's done I'll write a poem for figuring out the steps or something.

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: January 08, 2008, 12:38:00 pm »

I like those ideas! Some sort of obscure rhyme(s) giving away how to get through all the traps is also a pretty good idea... though if you do set one off, you should try and make it so that the consequences don't permanently seal off the way through - they just make the area temporarily extremely deadly.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: January 08, 2008, 12:47:00 pm »

With the flooding example, there could possibly be a pressure plate somewhere that is triggered by the presence or absence of water. When it is triggered, the hole the water came through closes while a drainage hatch opens.

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: January 08, 2008, 12:54:00 pm »

hullo, cap'n it's all going swimmingly, are you gonna turn the captain's tomb into a flood chamber or are you gonna put a hydra or a dragon in there?

Btw, is my dwarf still alive?

Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: January 08, 2008, 01:38:00 pm »

Bullion, I'll definitely have some tomb guard.
And yes, still alive.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: January 08, 2008, 01:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TotalPigeon:
<STRONG>I like those ideas! Some sort of obscure rhyme(s) giving away how to get through all the traps is also a pretty good idea... though if you do set one off, you should try and make it so that the consequences don't permanently seal off the way through - they just make the area temporarily extremely deadly.</STRONG>

Unfortunately, due to the clunky workarounds I need to do, restoring stuff like smashed bridges isn't really feasible.
That said, avoiding such complete destruction is what the rhymes will be for.

I don't intend to put in anything without a way through.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: January 08, 2008, 05:13:00 pm »

Be careful of making pressure plates that adventurers need to trigger. They won't trigger if traps are off, and turning them on is not really a good idea - falling rock traps are fairly deadly, weapon traps are obscene, and cage traps mess the game up. Furthermore there is no way to detect or disarm traps at all, making it that much worse. If nothing else, be absolutely sure to dismantle all your cage traps before you abandon.

I'm actually not even sure if water-based pressure plates work if traps are off either to be honest.

So maybe best to stick with lever traps only.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
« Reply #730 on: January 08, 2008, 07:31:00 pm »

How about a false lever trap... One single lever.

Around the single lever is 20+ separate traps, pits, gates holding back water, and  break away spots; directly next to the lever. I can sum it up in this entry:

"One lever...
I stood there... Cowering...
I was swallowed by the oppressive shadow of instant death,
Doom surrounded me, I could see it.
Facing me was the glinting doom of edged blades,
The trembling ground of a fall pit,
the rumble of flowing, watery wrath.

One lever.
I stood many a moments living my life, deciding what this one lever would do.
Long in that darkness I contemplated.
One lever.

I pulled it, trembling, unable to see nor breath, I felt my death.
NO! I CANNOT END MY LIFE WITH THE CURIOSITY OF A SINGLE LEVER!
But I stood there, long and cold, dead, dead, I was dead.

I was alive. My body hot with the flow of blood, warming from the cold of death, with sweat flowing over my entire body. Not but a single door had moved. The blades still glinted, the floor still shook, and the water still roared.
One door had opened.

A door.

A DOOR! Gold was gleaming within!"

^^ Diaper change :P

Have the lever instead open a treasure room.

Now that is what I call psychological mayhem.

Keep up the work cap'n!

..."I bumped Nist Akath and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"...

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: January 09, 2008, 12:38:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Mayday:
<STRONG>  
Captains Log. We are beset by Autumn Invaders!
I woke up this morning to find an unknown dwarf at the foot of my bed, hovering over me.
"ASSASSIN!" I screamed, throwing my blanket about his head, and attempting to suffocate him to death. I'd be damned if my combat training would go unused.

As it turned out, though, it was all okay, and he wasn't an assassin at all.
Instead, he was a representative from our Queen, and not bent on killing any of us in any manner at all. Well... no more so than usual.

It appears he was traveling with some traders passing through the area, and had spied our camp.
Normally I would be overjoyed at the rescue. Except it wasn't a rescue.
Instead he wanted us to stay here. Create some sort of bastion of dwarves, amid a snowy countriside.
I begged with him, I pleaded with him, I took him to the surface and smeared snow onto him. He would not relent. By the Queen's will, we are bound to stay. Indefinitely. He figured I was just the dwarf to run it.

He asked us what we would need to stay alive. The answers were simple, food, drink, and lots more wood and rock.
Finally, he had the audacity to tell me that they would pay top dollar for many things. Most of which were food!
I pointed out that we can't sell food, we're in the middle of a frozen wasteland. He told me where there's a will, there's a way. He also talked about the price of fish. Once again, I was forced to point out the logistical problem with fish and our situation.
I don't think he's a very clever man.</STRONG>

I have just begun reading this. This. Is. Awesome.

KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: January 09, 2008, 02:51:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedToast:
<STRONG>Be careful of making pressure plates that adventurers need to trigger. They won't trigger if traps are off, and turning them on is not really a good idea - falling rock traps are fairly deadly, weapon traps are obscene, and cage traps mess the game up. Furthermore there is no way to detect or disarm traps at all, making it that much worse. If nothing else, be absolutely sure to dismantle all your cage traps before you abandon.

I'm actually not even sure if water-based pressure plates work if traps are off either to be honest.

So maybe best to stick with lever traps only.</STRONG>

I was going to remove the cage traps, yeah. Really those are the ones that are particularly dangerous.
However, I am planning to put in some stuff that will require traps be turned on, such as giant doors that open, or traps that disable by walking onto a pressure plate, or should do, anyway.

One such one is regarding the entrance to the labyrinth.
"The spectre of Kinneus will open the sealed gate."

As I move towards abandonment, I'll be slowly removing the traps that aren't for the fun of exploring. No cage traps at all, though.
I've limited my weapon traps to only a couple of big weapons, or a handful of small weapons.
Very dangerous, but generally unlikely to be deadly.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: January 09, 2008, 03:43:00 am »

abandonment ?

what an unworthy end

I can understand that now that there is hardly any challenge, this fort is getting a little boring from time to time, but at least make up sme sort of awesome story about nist akaths doom

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: January 09, 2008, 03:57:00 am »

Jeez, have a little faith Akroma
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 265