Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 265

Author Topic: Nist Akath - The Complete Story  (Read 603356 times)

Sandono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nist Akath. Betrayal in the Tundra.
« Reply #405 on: December 04, 2007, 06:27:00 pm »

Wow.

I died fast.

Can I have another dwarf  next immigration wave?

If so,

N:Lorn
G:Male
P:Miner, Marksdwarf(Haven't learned my lesson yet), or Noble

Even death was fun to read though, so keep up the good work!

t this rate, Baron Lorn is going to replace the entire population with his own children since the other dwarves either very rarely pop one out, or have no idea what that thing between their legs are used for besides going to the bathroom and making them f

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 05, 2007, 03:01:00 am »

Enjoyable story. :b:

I would like to join:
Name: Viktoria
Profession: Marksdwarf or speardwarf

"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 05, 2007, 03:11:00 am »

Captain's Log. 11th of Granite.
King Song has returned, flanking us on every side.

At his command, more goblins than have ever been fielded against us before.
We still hope to remove Song from the area for good.

However, he has positioned most of his troops outside areas where our catapults may reach.

He himself has positioned himself by the eastern wall, considering our lack of siege capacity in that area to be a shortcoming in our defense.

We have built an access to the top of the eastern wall. I have sent Nagash II to fire upon Song's personal guard.
================

Captain's Log. 18th of Granite.
Nagash II entered a fierce battle today.
Atop the wall, he stood, firing bolt after bolt.
The return fire was heavy, and in a misstep he fell from the wall, into the clutches of the waiting goblins, with only five bolts remaining.

Yet, as though in a trance, he continued to fire, even as he lay fallen upon the ground, as they rushed to meet him.
One of his bolts found Song's chest, piercing his black heart.
The goblins milled about their king, as he lay on the ground clutching the bolt in his chest, gazing at it in disbelief.

As he finally collapsed, Nagash II found his own feet, and roared a battle cry.

With his quiver now empty, he had little use but to fight personally.
He charged the goblins, who, with the strength of their squad crushed, fled before him like the cowardly creatures they are.

Nagash II himself remained unscathed by the enemy arrows, and untouched by their blades.

As his mind cleared, Nagash II realised what he had done. From now on, surely only minor goblin incursions would plague Nist Akath.

It bears mentioning, however, that while Nagash II struck deep into the enemy's morale, I was among those firing the catapults at those on our northern and eastern flanks.

The siege has not yet been broken, but we now have a future to look forward to.
A future without King Song Dreadlashes!

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 05, 2007, 03:14:00 am »

Damn.  Good stuff.  Did that actually happen?

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 05, 2007, 03:17:00 am »

Sure did.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 05, 2007, 03:30:00 am »

Captain's Log. 21st of Granite.
Treachery from within!

Baron Dirty has crossed a line today. His 'mandate' for sterling silver items was impossible for us to fulfill.

He knew this.
I knew he knew this.

All along it was always a way to use the dwarven justice system against the citizens of this fortress. Against me.

And yet, to assign blame to Adalore, now better known among military ranks as Adalore Lashedletter, the Grim Snarls of Iron, a dwarf who has never even held a forging hammer, a dwarf who, until a few short years ago, made his living cutting up animals, is so obviously an act of rivalry that I cannot bear it!

Two hammerstrikes.

Few dwarves survive such a punishment, but few dwarves are as toughened as Adalore. Clearly his allegiance to me is known. None of the military have been making their disapproval of the Baron a secret.

When I told him of the order, he was shocked. I advised him to wear the heaviest armour available. Nobody puts the heroes of Nist Akath to death for imagined transgressions under my watch!

As Adalore fled my office in search of plate armour, I set about making up a meeting with the Captain of the Guard. My longtime acquaintance, and romance interest (though she has never appeared to return my feelings), Bomrek Twistpaddle.

Surely there was something we could do about this together.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 05, 2007, 04:42:00 am »

Armok commands you to combine;
The arena
Skelk
Baron Dirty
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 05, 2007, 07:04:00 am »

Events as they occurred on the 22nd of Granite
The door was ajar.
Bomrek's heart pounded. It appears as though the time had come to choose between duty and honor.
She felt like she needed more time to think, but there was none.

She knocked tentatively on the door, before entering.
"Ah, Bomrek, please come in." said the Captain.
She entered and took a moment to look at him.
She'd served under a few mayors, having moved often prior to her assignment in Nist Akath, but this was the first one to whom she felt a true connection of kinship.
The others had been penpushers, would-be nobles without any real regard for their citizens well-being.
This mud, blood and vomit encrusted specimen, however, was legend beyond the fortress walls. When it came to pens, he was more likely to try and stab a foul beast to death with it than put it to paper.
As for how filthy he was, apparently he had recently attempted to have a bath, and the filth had plainly won.

Her old clothes were stained in such a manner as well, so she could hardly complain.

Silently, she nodded, and took a seat.
Her meal already sat before her.
A hearty meaty stew.
Her mouth watered. Meat was rare, but not unheard of, though it was still common to go a week or so without any.
The Captain must have noticed her appetite, because he bade her to eat, before discussing matters of office.

And so the meal commenced, an awkward silence hanging in the air. It was always like this when they were alone, never knowing what to say, unless it pertained to the city. Inwardly, each sighed sadly at this fact.

Once they had finished, matters of office again took precedence.
"Bomrek, Adalore has been... made a pawn, in the rivalry between Baron Dirty and myself." said the Captain, sadly.
"Yes, I heard. A pity. Is that what you asked me here about?" replied Bomrek, softly.
"Indeed. I cannot think of any legitimate means to free him from this effective death sentence. I was hoping you may be able to help?"
"Captain, I cannot betray my oath to serve the King. I can't simply defy the law, and free Adalore."
"Adalore has saved the inhabitants of this fortress from more of the Antlered menace than I can bother to count! Does that mean nothing?" asked the Captain, sternly.
Bomrek gave a sad smile before answering. "To me, yes. To the law, no."
"These damnable laws!" cried the Captain, in frustration.

Bomrek let a quiet moment pass as she searched her mind for a solution. She had always found a path between Duty and Honor before. This time should be no different!

At last she had it.
"Captain, listen carefully. I can only abide by the law, and the law is dependent upon the situation."
The Captain raised a querulous eyebrow. "Go on."
"And the situation is that the prison is badly in need of a total reconstruction."
"Wait, what?!" shouted the Captain, then paused to consider a moment. "That task would take some time. Maybe months."
"Yes, Captain. It is currently not in use however." said Bomrek, smiling.
"I see. And there's nowhere else suitable for a prison?"
"No, Captain."
"And I know that Hammerings must, by law, be performed in the prison itself, but surely it would be dangerous to let somebody go in there, with all the crumbling old masonry, yes?"
"Somebody might be killed, Captain!" said Bomrek, in mock horror.
"Well that does it, Bomrek! I'm shutting down the prison! The law will just have to deal with that!"
"Yes, Captain. I'll get right on it." said Bomrek, and moved to leave.
"Oh and Bomrek." said the Captain, leaning forward on the table, with his fingers arched.
"Yes, Captain?"
"Thank you." he said, meaningfully.

Bomrek nodded quietly, and left, a tear of happiness quietly rolling down her cheek.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 05, 2007, 07:16:00 am »

Captain's Log. 23rd of Granite.
Today brought the sweetness of victory. Though the Goblins remain at our walls, I hardly feel they are the greatest threat.
The greatest threat is here amongst us, and today I had just beaten him at his own game.

He stormed into my office, as angry as hell.
"IRONBLOOD!" he shouted. "What is the meaning of this outrage?"
I decided to play dumb.
"I don't know my lord, but I'll have somebody clean it up before it begins to smell."
This threw him of track, which was my intention.
His response: "What the devil are you talking about, Ironblood? I mean about Adalore getting his punishment! Two hammerstrikes! That's what I commanded! And now this nonsense about masonry and the prison, and suddenly he's getting a beating! From a new recruit!"
"I believe it was that recruit's turn on the roster, my lord." I replied, calmly.
"Ironblood, we can't go having my... I mean our... mandates ignored, can we? There must be justice! Somebody needs to get what's coming to them."
"I couldn't agree more, my lord." I said, meaningfully. "Will that be all?"

He just gritted his teeth and walked out.
Later I noticed myself whistling.
Usually I live in a hellhole, but today... it's paradise.

erendor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 05, 2007, 07:47:00 am »

Brilliant story.  I read through it all in one sitting the other day, and although seeing updates in real time sort of disconcerts me, I still love it.

Can you really deconstruct/work on the prison and have sentences delayed or reduced like that?

Also, if you have anyone free, count me in -

Name: Erendor
Profession: Marksdwarf/Recruit

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 05, 2007, 08:05:00 am »

It's more delayed real time, and yes, Hammerings require a place be designated as a prison. If you don't have one, it gets reduced to a beating.

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 05, 2007, 09:13:00 am »

I hope the fortress guard isn't composed of legendary-warrior-good-for-nothings. It seems to be a common occurance for those warriors who form part of the fortress guard to have so little to do apart from the occasional beating that they train themselves to a formidable extent, and then do a rather thorough job when they perform a beating.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to equip and train all the guard with low quality wooden crossbows...

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 05, 2007, 09:28:00 am »

they're actually almost exclusively wrestlers.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 05, 2007, 09:43:00 am »

I see that the lower layers of nist akath is composed of gabbro

have you found any olivine or comberline ?

if not, you could mine for it

or more in general, which kind of coloured stone/ores did you find ?

you could create a beautiful floor pattern as your next project

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 05, 2007, 10:00:00 am »

I have lots of olivine, gabbro, orthoclase, etc.
Most of it has been processed into blocks by now, however.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 265