Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 265

Author Topic: Nist Akath - The Complete Story  (Read 603388 times)

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
Re: Nist Akath. Blood and Bones.
« Reply #3840 on: March 21, 2010, 02:35:04 pm »

*applause* :D
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: March 21, 2010, 02:49:13 pm »

Bey@nd Quality!

'What now'? That's simple - let's read the story from beginning again :3
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: March 21, 2010, 03:21:15 pm »

Oh my.

So long I've waited for this day, yet feared, because I didn't know how it would all end. And now that we've come to the end of the story of Nist Akath, I feel... Glad, I figure. Glad that it all worked out like this in the end. In one huge battle between good and evil, although "good" only applies to the level of ethics of dwarves here. Debatably good. Better than what it would have been like if Soulsmith would have been in charge.

It was... Magnificent.

The battle with the demons, the desperate struggle of soldiers versus the enemy, and their fallen brethren. The first twist with infiltration of the fort itself, madness and violence breaking out even after the demons were gone. The seeming destruction which had been planted within, and waiting how everyone would manage.

Then the sudden death of Ironblood.
And I had all but forgotten his Progeny. The sudden twist of plot again by it was... Delicious.

Seeing it all happen again, with Ironblood commanding the soldiers to prepare for the fight ahead, and making sure there wouldn't be civilian casualties this time.

The duel between Xotes and Nagash, to buy Ironblood some more time to recover. The unfortunate demise of the young dwarf was hard, but he fought true and hard to the bitter end, and that made him worthy of mention in the history of the world.

The usurp of godly powers of Ironblood, the quick and crushing defeat of Xotes by his axe.

Destroying demons as if they were mere pests, and then, the fight with the Soulsmith itself.

A New God versus an Old God.

And oh god, that fight. Hacking off limbs one at a time in the midst of fire. It was very Ironbloodish, I say. Can't let the great evil off that easily.

And finally, the ending. The abandonment of Nist Akath as a Mountainhall, and rebuilding it as a Fortress against all evil.

Appropriate. I figure until the end of the world, the plains of Nist Akath will be littered with bones, covered in snow.

You sir have kept me on my toes from the very beginning of this thing.
You took what was but a community fortress, and gave it meaning and life unlike any other fort I have read about.

You sir, have made history.
I hope you are proud of yourself.

Because I am.

underdark

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: March 21, 2010, 03:29:18 pm »

A grand and glorious epic!

It took me several minutes to stop laughing when the Captain slaughtered the Soulsmith without taking a scratch.
Quote from: Captain Mayday
In any case, having a ceiling fall on you is not fun. Nor is falling through one, plummeting a few stories. Note to self: Sand can still be hard.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: March 21, 2010, 03:49:47 pm »

I think rather than go into excessive detail I'm going to just say that this was a fucking awesome story, and Captain Mayday is a fucking awesome guy.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: March 21, 2010, 04:03:42 pm »

I may not have finished reading this at the exact time the very last post, but I came pretty close. I started reading this a few days ago and caught up just last night. I have to say, it was pretty convenient to have it all draw to a close right then.

Captain Mayday, I commend you! This has been just as mindblowingly awesome as alluded to by the masses.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: March 21, 2010, 04:16:53 pm »

This is the best possible ending. Ever. Period.

Im not kidding people, i dont think there could have been one more satisfying.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Typoman

• Bay Watcher
  • He Who Comes with the Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: March 21, 2010, 05:11:29 pm »

An epic end to an epic story. thak you greatly for forging it even when your fps was stupidly low.
i must ask is there any chance a copy of the final fortress be made available for us to play with? or at the very least a map at the dfma?

Moose Fisher

• Bay Watcher
  • [DEBUG ERROR: THIS TEXT DOES NOT EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: March 21, 2010, 05:12:20 pm »

Bravo!  Bravo!

I especially liked how Ironblood cut off the front legs, than the hands, and then the EYES of the Soulsmith before dealing the final blow.  You could say Ironblood made the Old God kneel before him and submit to his majesty.

I believe Ieb has said what could be said the best, so that leaves us with one last thing...

Can you provide us a save and final map of Nist Akath?

Someone should also configure something similar to what was done with Cacame Awemedinade  for the RAWs so Captain Olon Ironblood can live on within our games.

Once again, thank you Mayday.  You made history.
"I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?"
-Elderly Hive Dweller

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: March 21, 2010, 05:26:09 pm »

EPICNESS in story form
This should be definitely stickied.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: March 21, 2010, 05:33:18 pm »

The mental image of my dwarf ducking and weaving around Xotes beating her with a crossbow made me burst out laughing at work.

Nicely done as always, Mayday.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: March 21, 2010, 06:27:11 pm »

It was pretty good i guess.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: March 21, 2010, 06:29:04 pm »

What i really liked was how iron blood just stomps in, and the whole fort unquestioningly goes on full alert, and starts hunting Xotes.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nist Akath. Betrayal in the Tundra.
« Reply #3853 on: March 21, 2010, 06:30:07 pm »

This fortress is ridiculously doomed. Count me in.<P>Name: Nagash
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: March 21, 2010, 06:42:28 pm »

11 out of 10
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 265