Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 265

Author Topic: Nist Akath - The Complete Story  (Read 603313 times)

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: Nist Akath. Betrayal in the Tundra.
« Reply #330 on: December 02, 2007, 08:32:00 am »

Captain's Log. 17th of Obsidian.
At last, the madness induced frenzy of creation fades from my mind.
I admit, immediately afterward I felt slightly disoriented, and I seem to remember having a cat on top of me for a while, at some point. I don't know why.

I looked at my work, as if for the first time.

It sat there, a Gabbro cabinet. Encrusted with gabbro, and clear tourmaline, studded with bismuth and encircled with bands of onyx, zinc and turtle shell. It stood adorned with hanging rings of onyx.
An image, engraved in trifle pewter, decorated the door, it pictured an image of humans speaking with we dwarves (clearly a picture of myself trading.)

I looked at my notes, and the name Kal Berim stood out. "The Smiles of Artifice."

It's a large piece of furniture... yet I find this irresistible need to keep it on my person...

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 02, 2007, 08:36:00 am »

phew, you worried me

didn't think you actually had the materials

anyway, keep in mind that this dwarf needs a royal burial chamber

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 02, 2007, 08:37:00 am »

You're right. I'll have to build him one that puts all others to shame.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 02, 2007, 08:38:00 am »

and the cabinte will be placed in that burial chamber, of course
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 02, 2007, 08:45:00 am »

any ideas for crazy tomb designs? Ideally it would be horribly trapped. I already have a trap in mind, but others should feel free to suggest designs.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 02, 2007, 08:59:00 am »

crazy design ?

sure

how about a maze ?
or a pyramide ?
a reversed pyramide ?

make a giant room and leave walls forming the words THE CAPTAIN

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 02, 2007, 09:00:00 am »

Captain's Log. 7th of Granite.
Finally, I have been informed that the siege has been broken, due in no small part to the fine crossbow skills of Nagash II.
His deadly accuracy took more goblin lives than any siege weapon we could muster.

His mastery of the crossbow is fearful indeed. I am certain the goblins will take stories of him home to frighten their children.

I was down in the Great Hall at the time of this occurring. The finishing touches before we have to collapse the floors to clear it out. We're coming to the final stages of it's construction. Most of what has to be done, has been done.
A lot of clearing work remains, for our haulers, however.

I do not envy them that task.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 02, 2007, 09:04:00 am »

Captain's Log. 9th of Granite.
Not a week since the goblins left, and the Elves come to trade.

I don't know what's worse, being cooped up down here with no contact with the outside world, or being forced to talk to the pointy-eared tree-loving forest fascists.

But diplomacy first, I suppose.

Darktongue Breakbone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 02, 2007, 09:22:00 am »

A huge hollowed out pit with a pillar rising from it.  A one-tile wide land bridge is the only way to access the pillar.  The bottom of the pit is filled with spikes.  All along the land bridge are traps that will knock you off the bridge. Do spiked balls do this?  I haven't seen one set off yet.

To make it even more awesome, make the bridge into a twisty maze.

And as for the tomb, it should dig down into the pillar itself, let's say 4 stories of 5x5 rooms with the tomb itself at the very bottom.  Arrange statues and other treasures as you see fit.  Be sure to decorate plenty of stuff with bone seeing as you provided so much of the material for them.

If anyone has managed to make it this far, put a pressure plate in the room that releases a couple of caged skelks.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 02, 2007, 09:47:00 am »

I had not considered caged skeletal creatures. Nice.

I think I can use a few of these ideas. The maze is mapped out, but has yet to be mined.

It's a real bastard of one, too. Adventure mode in this fortress will be pretty nuts.

Darktongue Breakbone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 02, 2007, 09:56:00 am »

Speaking of Adventure Mode.  When all of this is over, you should upload a save file somewhere so we can all go exploring ourselves.  Hope I don't get killed by a hoard of skelks just trying to make the entrance.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 02, 2007, 09:57:00 am »

When this is over, depending on who survives, there may be an adventure mode story in the works. If I abandon, I believe that all the dwarves are shipped off elsewhere. I'm not sure how they're distributed, though.

Merlon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 02, 2007, 10:18:00 am »

After all the work the captain has put into removing the skelks and now you want to put them in his tomb? That's either an insult or a great dwarven honour...hmm.

On another note, do captured native creatures really persist if you abandon the fort? Skelks that have been reduced to a heap of bones with a skull on top aren't quite as fearinducing as the moving kind after all.

The whole meeting among the founding dwarves was truly awesome. When you said "I'll pick up again as soon as it gets fixed" you weren't kidding, two pages a day even.

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 02, 2007, 10:21:00 am »

a tomb trap? how about a pressure plate that release water through the tomb?

it would be best if the water had skeletal pike/carp

Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

rylen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 02, 2007, 10:24:00 am »

If there's room ....

This fort is now prosperous enough for the Baron's wife to send away for an important luxury.  Archibald (male) / Archibess (female) is a Milliner (hat maker).  He makes fine headgear of cloth and leather, preferably in large quantities.  Frequently, he decorates the hats.  He answers first to the barronness.  He would like a unit of cinnabar stone by his chief workshop and a hat stockpile in his patronesses' room.  He is horrified if uncultured dwarves put a Milliner to work at a Mill.

Rylen

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 265