Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 265

Author Topic: Nist Akath - The Complete Story  (Read 602744 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Re: Nist Akath. The Captain Deposed.
« Reply #3105 on: April 11, 2009, 12:25:59 pm »

I didnt think dwarves in this game could die of age....?

it is indeed a rare thing that a fortress out-lives it's inhabitants

this is the oldest fortress I know off, and so far no one died of old age

and considering dwarves become like 300 years or older, the captain will likely stay with us a little longer
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: April 13, 2009, 12:28:35 am »

I wonder if someone installed electronic voting machines in Nist Akath.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Yaaga

• Bay Watcher
  • "Mou... Yui-Senpai... Stop teasing me!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: April 13, 2009, 08:29:36 am »

Well, I just took about 18 hours of reading time to read the entire Nist Akath thread, and I salute you Captain! And, unlike most other people, who seemed put off by the fact that this thread is thousands of posts long, that's actually what dragged me in here. I figured anything that had lived to be THAT long, had to be some kind of epic. And it was, very, very epic.
Minister of Luck - I directly affect everything in an indirect way that may or may not amount to anything! Yay me!

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #3108 on: April 13, 2009, 05:18:20 pm »

Dwarves DO die of old age, but I don't think the founding members of your site are very old when they show up, so they have *lots* of time left to live.

I know when I was running Reinhammers, when the king showed up he died from old age. This wasn't that surprising, because the year was something like 250~ish and he'd been born at worldgen and taken over the civ in year 1. Still, it was annoying to have him show up and keel over within a year.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: April 14, 2009, 12:22:33 am »

Notes of BurnedToast, 17th of Galena, 1089
With a somewhat disturbing determination, the Captain has set off into the snowstorm, armed with a pair of axes, each adorned in bone, clad in full steel armour, and carrying enough supplies to see him out for some time.

Indeed, so hasty was his departure into the snow, I had the woeful duty to inform his extremely angry wife. This was made considerably harder due to the reason she wanted to find him so urgently was her extremely recent giving birth to a son, Kogan Ironblood. Why she named him 'Boat' I have no idea. Maybe nostalgia for warmer climates has overtaken her.

Kodor too, has begun to wonder where he's been. All I've been able to tell them is rumours of hundreds of elk skeletons being discovered, scattered in the snow, and the occasional glimpse of him wandering the halls to restock on food.

The new mayor is also irritated by his disappearance, apparently having wanted to consult him in a number of mayoral matters.

Being winter, the blizzards are near endless. We have no idea where he is.

While he's been away, his pool accidentally flooded due to some mechanical failure. I ordered the floodgate manually shut, but the rooms are still knee deep in water.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 11:22:52 am by Captain Mayday »
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: April 14, 2009, 12:32:56 am »

Mayoral Report - Lokum Lerommeng, 21st of Galena 1089
The last entries in this book are from the founding of the fortress.... and are mostly illustrations of a rude nature. I suspect the Captain did not enjoy paperwork very much. I guess it's up to me to rectify that. 'It's Time For A Change!' got me elected, but I have to follow through.
Fortunately the job does not seem difficult for the most part... once I get past thirty years of backdated paperwork that BurnedToast has for me.

How distressing. And it seems the Captain has disappeared into the tundra on some sort of weird spiritual journey. I had hoped him to be a valued advisor.

Today Duncan the tax collector (I hadn't even known we had one until today), put out some kind of mandate for rose gold items to be manufactured. This would be fine, we have rose gold, unfortunately we lack any fuel of any kind. I asked the metalsmith what she could do without fuel and she laughed in my face. Then kept on laughing while she walked away, becoming quiet, then bursting into laughter yet again. Rather disconcerting, really.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: April 14, 2009, 04:11:24 am »

yay, updates
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: April 14, 2009, 05:45:47 am »

god damn i hate this new mayor

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: April 14, 2009, 05:57:41 am »

Given the survival rate of any authority figure not part of the original party or related to the captain, that shouldn't be a problem

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: April 14, 2009, 09:28:25 am »

I've decided that I like the new mayor.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: April 14, 2009, 09:46:37 am »

He seems nice enough. No major vices. Looking to make things better for the common dwarf. Trying to appease nobles...

He must die.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: April 14, 2009, 10:26:46 am »

Mayoral Report - Lokum Lerommeng, 23rd of Galena 1089
Today I finally finished wading through the stuff built up after 30 years, separating it into various piles. The largest pile was requests made by dwarves long dead and buried.
It seems the Captain ignored all of them. What terrible governance!

Meanwhile, the countess has asked for shields to be made, which is easy enough, and the count has demanded (demanded!) that a steel cabinet be placed in his dining room. I queried him about it and he simply said, in a sage manner 'yours is not to question why." I think they're hazing me or something.

Then there's the problem that I still haven't got a man of my own! If my parents were still alive (Armok bless their broken bodies), they'd have arranged a marriage for me. I wonder if I can discover how exactly they died...

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: April 14, 2009, 11:39:10 am »

As of now it's going to become impossible to fulfil further requests for dwarves. It'll be extremely difficult to complete my current list, and requests for other races are likely impossible to fulfil.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: April 14, 2009, 11:40:08 am »

going to be impossible as of now ?

why that ?

something epic in the preparation ?

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: April 14, 2009, 11:55:23 am »

going to be impossible as of now ?

why that ?

something epic in the preparation ?

Not enough dwarves in caravans left before 40 years.

Here's the most recent additions:

Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 265