Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 265

Author Topic: Nist Akath - The Complete Story  (Read 603140 times)

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: Nist Akath. Betrayal in the Tundra.
« Reply #285 on: December 01, 2007, 11:25:00 am »

Nah, unfortunately not. The logistics of trying to make that happen beneath an aquifer would make it a far more elaborate project.
It's quite the project as it is.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 01, 2007, 11:35:00 am »

Captain's Log. 5th of Felsite.
More immigrants today. I'm not even going to try to categorise them after that travesty of an arrival.
The first we knew about them was because of all the screaming.
Seemed they'd happened upon a pack of Skelks, which is bad news for them.
With them came our new Tax Collector, which is bad news for us.

We managed to save everyone, and most weren't savaged at all.

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 01, 2007, 12:15:00 pm »

you got a tax collector? could you tell us your created and exported wealth?
Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 01, 2007, 12:21:00 pm »

Sure.
Current Imported Wealth: 330339
Current Exported Wealth: 42119

Actual fortress wealth is at 859403

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 01, 2007, 12:24:00 pm »

Captain's Log. 14th of Hematite.
It's been a busy time for us. We've been expanding our passageways to accommodate our population.
This has led to a massive increase in waste stone that has to be removed. Plenty of work for everybody.

A human diplomat arrived today. Hot on their heels was a caravan with the Merchant prince I have met with previously.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 01, 2007, 12:29:00 pm »

Once again, this story has amazed us. Apparently, Nist Akath is going down in dwarven history, then. Also, NOO! KINNEUS! And Bubbles! (cries)

[ December 01, 2007: Message edited by: Xotes ]

Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Darktongue Breakbone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 01, 2007, 12:38:00 pm »

Can I be the new Tax Collector?  I love this story.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 01, 2007, 12:40:00 pm »

Sure, if you don't mind the fact that the new tax collector is a lady?

Darktongue Breakbone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 01, 2007, 12:48:00 pm »

Go ahead, but since my name doesn't fit make her Lady Elegance.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 01, 2007, 12:54:00 pm »

Captain's Log. 26th of Hematite.
It's been a day of ups and downs. My friend, the Master Tailor died in prison today. Supposedly from 'thirst', but I have my doubts.

Baron Dirty was conveniently in a diplomatic meeting at the time, as well.
I am sure he was responsible, however.

I did a lot of trading today. I bought roughly a million cages and barrels, though my numbers may be out.
What isn't out is the booze. We now have more than ever before! Thank you humans!

I was interrupted in my preparations to meet with the Merchant Prince, by our new Tax Collector, Lady Elegance.

She wanted to know why I bought roughtly a million cages. I told her it was for the traps.
She asked me what traps.
I said "Exactly." and for some reason she looked confused and walked away.
Some dwarves!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 01, 2007, 01:08:00 pm »

if you have absolutely no idea how to asigne the shop to my dwarf, you can also just make him any kind of craftsdwarf (lol, as if the kind of craftdwarves running around your bone filled fortres weren't obvious)
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 01, 2007, 01:18:00 pm »

Here we go, first owner shop happened to be an unclaimed stoneworker.
A pretty good one too.

Daniel Charms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 01, 2007, 02:01:00 pm »

The Baron's diary. 3rd of Felsite.

We have arrived at Nist Akath. Back in the mountainhome, I had been hinted that I was going to be sent to an outback hellhole. Had I known that this was literally the case, I would rather have fled and lived my life in exile, as a peasant. But I never imagined it to be anything like this.

This place... it's a nightmare. The outside areas are ridden with skeletal elks(!), so you can't even go out for some fresh air without having to fear for your life. The indoors aren't any better. Even though these people have been living here for years, they have, for some reason, failed to build any metalworking shops. They're still living in the stone-age here. I'm still wondering if I haven't somehow ended up in the wrong Nist Akath. This was supposed to be a bustling town, but what I found was a quarry! When I made a casual remark about this during my conversation with the mayor (who, for some reason, is called The Captain, even though he's not the Captain of the Guard), he got angry and told me that our meeting was over.

13th of Felsite. We've been here for a whole 10 days now, but our situation has not changed. We're still living in the tiny "temporary" quarters, right next to the workers' barracks. I've tried to be patinet with them so far, but I fear that I might have to give the hammerer some work soon.

21st of Felsite. Today I asked the Mayor if he could arrange for a pair of earrings to be made for my wife. He said he'd see what he could do. I also enquired him about the office he had promised to arrange for me. He said this was the first time he had heard of this. I got angry and threatened him with a hammering. As usual, he misunderstood me and is now going around claiming that I had ordered for warhammers to be made. As if I didn't realize the absurdity of such demands. Tomorrow, I'll set these things straight.

22nd of Felsite. I've decided to let my orders stand. We'll see if this will make them get off their arses and actually start doing some work here, instead of just drinking and singing about gold all day long.

8th of Galena. The Captain has sentenced one of the brewers for 51 days in jail for not making black bronze items.

16th of Sandstone. We were finally able to move into our new bedrooms. Finally, I can get a decent night's sleep. It was about time, too, for Kitty will soon be giving birth to our baby.

3rd of Timber. It's been a few months now since my "orders", and there still hasn't been any progress made. Unfortunately, this means that according to the law, I'm going to have to punish someone for this, even though there's noone to hold responsible for this. I've picked a victim at random: a soaper they call 'Bubbles' (he's a funny guy, he's always talking about bubbles, hence his name; these people here really have no imagination). I ordered him to be hammered twice. That's the minimum sentence I can give. Hopefully, he'll survive.

Later. I just had a talk with The Captain. I told him about Bubbles. He said it was "inhumane" and that poor Bubbles would never survive. I told him a story about a friend of mine who had survived a dozen hits because he was wearing a plate mail. He seemed to understand what I was hinting at, for he instantly rushed off (to find Bubbles, I presume).

Later. Disaster! Poor Bubbles didn't survive the beating because he wasn't wearing any armor at all. How could this happen? I can only presume that he ran into the hammerer on his way to the armor stockpile.

4th of Timber. Oh father, why hast thou forsaken me? Kitty had a miscarriage. As I'm writing these lines, she's lying in her bed, unconscious from the loss of blood. Why? Why dit it have to be her?

ParrotPatrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 01, 2007, 02:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Charms:
<STRONG>The Baron's diary. 3rd of Felsite.

We have arrived at Nist Akath. Back in the mountainhome, I had been hinted that I was going to be sent to an outback hellhole. Had I known that this was literally the case, I would rather have fled and lived my life in exile, as a peasant. But I never imagined it to be anything like this.

This place... it's a nightmare. The outside areas are ridden with skeletal elks(!), so you can't even go out for some fresh air without having to fear for your life. The indoors aren't any better. Even though these people have been living here for years, they have, for some reason, failed to build any metalworking shops. They're still living in the stone-age here. I'm still wondering if I haven't somehow ended up in the wrong Nist Akath. This was supposed to be a bustling town, but what I found was a quarry! When I made a casual remark about this during my conversation with the mayor (who, for some reason, is called The Captain, even though he's not the Captain of the Guard), he got angry and told me that our meeting was over.

13th of Felsite. We've been here for a whole 10 days now, but our situation has not changed. We're still living in the tiny "temporary" quarters, right next to the workers' barracks. I've tried to be patinet with them so far, but I fear that I might have to give the hammerer some work soon.

21st of Felsite. Today I asked the Mayor if he could arrange for a pair of earrings to be made for my wife. He said he'd see what he could do. I also enquired him about the office he had promised to arrange for me. He said this was the first time he had heard of this. I got angry and threatened him with a hammering. As usual, he misunderstood me and is now going around claiming that I had ordered for warhammers to be made. As if I didn't realize the absurdity of such demands. Tomorrow, I'll set these things straight.

22nd of Felsite. I've decided to let my orders stand. We'll see if this will make them get off their arses and actually start doing some work here, instead of just drinking and singing about gold all day long.

8th of Galena. The Captain has sentenced one of the brewers for 51 days in jail for not making black bronze items.

16th of Sandstone. We were finally able to move into our new bedrooms. Finally, I can get a decent night's sleep. It was about time, too, for Kitty will soon be giving birth to our baby.

3rd of Timber. It's been a few months now since my "orders", and there still hasn't been any progress made. Unfortunately, this means that according to the law, I'm going to have to punish someone for this, even though there's noone to hold responsible for this. I've picked a victim at random: a soaper they call 'Bubbles' (he's a funny guy, he's always talking about bubbles, hence his name; these people here really have no imagination). I ordered him to be hammered twice. That's the minimum sentence I can give. Hopefully, he'll survive.

Later. I just had a talk with The Captain. I told him about Bubbles. He said it was "inhumane" and that poor Bubbles would never survive. I told him a story about a friend of mine who had survived a dozen hits because he was wearing a plate mail. He seemed to understand what I was hinting at, for he instantly rushed off (to find Bubbles, I presume).

Later. Disaster! Poor Bubbles didn't survive the beating because he wasn't wearing any armor at all. How could this happen? I can only presume that he ran into the hammerer on his way to the armor stockpile.

4th of Timber. Oh father, why hast thou forsaken me? Kitty had a miscarriage. As I'm writing these lines, she's lying in her bed, unconscious from the loss of blood. Why? Why dit it have to be her?</STRONG>

INTERLOPER!

Daniel Charms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 01, 2007, 03:11:00 pm »

I was just trying to present things the way the Dirty Baron sees them. But I guess you're right, maybe I shouldn't have interrupted someone else's story like this. Sorry.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 265