Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 265

Author Topic: Nist Akath - The Complete Story  (Read 602918 times)

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nist Akath. Brethren of the Tundra
« Reply #2460 on: December 22, 2008, 03:49:14 pm »

It's kinda hard to spoil an event that hasn't happened yet, see Baron Dirty.

I wonder, after the Army Arc comes arround, what fort shall take Nist Akath's place as the greatest epic saga of all dwarfkind? Boatmurdered was the original, Copperblazes enjoyed a brief time in the spotlights too in the days leading up to the Z axis and now Nist is about to reach it's epic finale mere months before the next release.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

bob k. mando

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: December 22, 2008, 04:54:24 pm »

Ahah!  I knew you didn't really know it the moment I started reading that post!

:rolleyes:

have i "verified" it with the author?  no.

do i have a nominee about whom i am 99.99% sure?  yes.

I would prefer that Nist Akath not be spoiled.

as do, i suspect, many others.  which is why i didn't actually name the Name.

although at one point it appeared that Mayday was actually encouraging guesses to be made....
from the land down under, where hurricanes blow and gators plunder

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: December 22, 2008, 07:16:36 pm »

Well, a quick check of the first page proves that if his three criteria are correct, there only three suspects, at least one of which is dead.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: December 23, 2008, 05:34:44 am »

Captain's Log. 14th of Galena.

My Tomb is nearing completion. Apart from an oversight, it would already be complete. Of course, apart from the oversight, Magni would probably be dead instead of badly injured. It was he who removed the keystone from the sections we were collapsing, and luckily everybody else was clear.
He dragged himself back to the higher levels with quite the tale to tell of his lucky escape. It seems he bounced off several levels, encompassed in dust, before awakening in rubble some time later.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1002-tombcave-in

While he's recovering, we're going to have to figure a way to clear the ceiling levels.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 05:38:27 am by Captain Mayday »
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: December 23, 2008, 07:14:16 am »

Captain's Log, 4th of Limestone

Something staggering has occurred. This is nearly unheard of in history, but Melica has given birth to a child. This would make the child a half-human, although for the time being she looks dwarven enough.
Obviously they're thrilled at this unexpected turn of events, but still... it's a shock.

They've decided to name her 'Nil', meaning Hammer.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: December 23, 2008, 07:50:55 am »

Captain's Log, 13th of Limestone

The thirteenth seems to have been unlucky for some, as my tomb became the site of a rather bad work accident. Libash paid the price, although his death was mercifully quick.
There were two other wounded, Ral the farmer, who had his arm broken, and Flame, who... to put it mildly, got a tad more banged up. At the moment we're unsure if he will ever fully recover.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: December 23, 2008, 08:37:38 am »

Captain's Log. 27th of Limestone.
Things seem to be coming to a head. With the arrival of the traders, my love is not acting like herself.

I first noticed it while I and one of the damnable fortress cats were watching her sleep.

She came awake as though not of her own will, and stumbled past me and out the door, ignoring my inquiries as to her state of health. I followed her cautiously, and was horrified to see her grab a crafts workshop on the tomb level, before hurrying off to gather her 'ingredients.'

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: December 23, 2008, 08:45:49 am »

From the look of that room, I think the captain is secretly hoping she grabs some black bronze.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: December 23, 2008, 09:21:11 am »

Rollcall!

More merchant guards have joined us.

(apologies about the name, unfortunately Nist Akath uses an old set of language files and these are apparently embedded, meaning I don't get a full language selection.)

There were also some soldiers who decided to hang up their weapons and take on civilian roles.

Melonius is a hesitant soldier who has come to Nist Akath to train with the masters of stonecrafting. He is interested in these mysterious masters of their trades, and wishes to learn from the best.

Marigi arrived with Melonius, intending to retire in the relative safety of Nist Akath, behind its stout walls, and make a living in it's mines. After all, the rumours are that Nist Akath goes on forever, and that somewhere beneath it is hidden a river of pure gold. Even if it's only hearsay, which seems probable, a good miner can always make a lucky strike.

Finally, Wildgoose. An ex-hammerman with a penchant for carving. Over the years he's carved out a lot of things from wood and, more to his interest, bone. Here he has the chance to do it for a living, and so he's taking that chance.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: December 23, 2008, 09:31:05 am »

;D
Finally, that greatest of honours has fallen upon me.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: December 23, 2008, 10:24:40 am »

Captain's Log, 18th of Sandstone.

Today I learned something. I learned that when your wife produces an elaborately decorated mini-forge, you shouldn't say 'This is what had you so intent? What, are you pregnant or something."
I also learned that this is an even worse idea when your wife issues beatings for a living.

I asked her what she was calling it, and discovered it had the charming name of Ugithingul, or "Necroseasons." It was based on a native gold structure, but was so very much more.
Apart from being encrusted with milk quartz and encircled with bands of yet more native gold, as well as onyx, it menaces with spikes of... you guessed it, native gold. But also, to my surprise, of black bronze and platinum.
There's a few images as well. The first, rendered in black zircon, depicts our endless struggles with the goblins. The second, rendered in black bronze was an image of a longnose gar, a sort of fish I seem to recall. There's a picture of a dog in black bronze, and finally, a picture of a falling goblin in platinum.
All up, we've valued it at around 270,000, which I've been informed is a better use for fortress materials than a giant tomb that I won't be using for decades anyway.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: December 23, 2008, 10:52:59 am »

Wow.  That was a lot of updates.  Too bad a good guy for Likhan hasn't arrived yet.  Still, awesome!  That was one giant ceiling collapse!  I had thought those engravings were done for when I was watching it.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: December 23, 2008, 10:57:29 am »

Events on the 25th of Sandstone.

Kodor burst into his brother's office, beaming. "Brother! Something remarkable has happened!"

"Another kid?" Olon guessed irritably. He'd been in the middle of a crumpet when his brother had burst in and perturbed it.

"No... honestly, we've just had one and that was remarkable enough. I'm speaking of my newly elevated status."

Olon gauged his brother. "You look the same height to me."

"No, not like that. I'm a Count now. Queen Urvad's mandate came through this morning. I've been elevated in rank."

Olon looked as though he could care less, but nevertheless engaged in an exercise in futility to try and hide this fact. "Ah, well done! Does this bring anything else with it? Maybe a post in another, nicer fortress?"

Kodor smiled broadly. "Hah, nicer fortress! Good one! I do have something I need, though. I now have a greater set of requirements. Our quarters simply won't do! I need more storage and Melica needs more... just more in general I think if I got the gist of what she said absolutely correct. Please make sure it happens quickly."

"I'll set an order for it. I guess we've got some furniture laying around somewhere. High quality, like everything else around here. Can't promise it will be soon, though, what with the current cleanup occurring in the depths."

Kodor's smile faded. "Olon, are you still mucking about with that tomb of yours? Gods, man, that thing has claimed lives!"

"All the more reason to finish it as a testament to their commitment."

"Commitment to what exactly?"

"Well... me I guess. Also, workmanship!"

Kodor gazed at him bemusdedly for a moment. "Right. Just make sure I get my new stuff."

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: December 23, 2008, 12:01:48 pm »

"I'm a count, I want nicer stuff!"
"Ok, but only after I finish making my tomb to the sound of the adoring worship of my people."

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: December 23, 2008, 01:20:01 pm »

the way the doors on the 6 green cubicles are arranged makes me twitch with anger <_<
Tear it down and rebuild it symmetricaly, damn you >_>
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 265