Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 265

Author Topic: Nist Akath - The Complete Story  (Read 602729 times)

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Re: Nist Akath. Betrayal in the Tundra.
« Reply #1620 on: March 15, 2008, 05:53:00 pm »

Ironblood shouldn't die yet.

I want to see him live, at least until the story draws to a close.
He should be epic all the way to the end. He is the core component of Nist Akath.

"This is a "The Captain" Ironblood Dwarf Fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality".

without the captain, there's no fortress, as you can see from those two sentences. The captain is the mainstay of Nist Akath, everything else is just bands, hanging rings, menacing spikes etc.

[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: March 15, 2008, 06:02:00 pm »

Let whoever win's win.

If the captain can fairly beat a hydra while nude, barehanded, and sober and nausieted, then he deserves to win. Hands down.

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: March 15, 2008, 06:42:00 pm »

Ironblood should win, being poisoned and dropped into a pit to death is a little too lame imho - if he has to die it should be something epic like facing off 1,000 fire breathing zombie demon carp or something.

I admit I am curious though, it might be best to just let them fight it out and who wins, wins. With no shield or weapon I don't like Ironblood's chances though - maybe someone could drop him a copper axe or something to help even it out. Without the shield the hydra still has a decent chance.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: March 15, 2008, 06:50:00 pm »

I think Mayday's just teasing you all.

Logan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: March 15, 2008, 08:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Istrian:
<STRONG>Let the game randomness decide of the outcome of this glorious/dubious battle.</STRONG>

There's no randomness here. Ironblood would wreck the hydra. He's still got his (legendary?) wrestling skill, so even naked he's still untouchable.

That said, I say The Captain lives. Make the hydra as nasty as you want, but the hero wins.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: March 15, 2008, 10:05:00 pm »

Make the hydra a normal hydra and let the chips fall where they will. We all are confident Ironblood will not only win, but probably not even get tired, but there is something that I have learned, Random crap happens! You never know, the hydra might get lucky and puncture one of ironblood's lungs (He IS poisoned, after all)
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: March 15, 2008, 10:59:00 pm »

Well, I think that's enough voting.
Now I can talk about both circumstances.
I ran through the scenario a number of times, and because I had the combat log turned on, I learned a fair bit about why Ironblood kept losing time and again.
It was because he was doing retarded wrestling moves that just ended up with him laying down beneath an angry hydra. Have a look here.
Every time he lost he was trying to throw the hydra by its toe or something.

However, I can say with absolute certainty, that, in the case that he doesn't do the retarded moves, he has an excellent chance of winning. He can do yellow wounds to a Hydra with his fists!
As we shall soon see.

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: March 16, 2008, 12:20:00 am »

The final events of the 26th of Felsite.
Ironblood ran at the Hydra in a fury. The monster reared back to give itself more room, only to find his fist connecting with one of its necks.

The Hydra choked, partly from pain, partly from surprise, and recoiled, sending the fearless dwarf flying backwards, landing uncomfortably on the ground.

The Hydra seized the opportunity, and struck at the dwarf with a mere two of its many heads. Its teeth closed on him, but came away with only grime to find the dwarf missing.

Instead he felt the sensation of being punched in another neck with the force of a landslide, sending the hydra tumbling back in pain.
Ironblood, now standing atop the Hydra, seized his chance.
Grabbing one of its throats, he began to crush the life from it.
The Hydra had never felt such a vice-like grip in its life, and tried to tear him off, only to receive a punch from the dwarf's free hand that made things significantly worse.
The Hydra tried twice more, receiving a third throat injury and a broken skull in return.

Ironblood seethed, focusing his might on the throat in front of him. If Hydras have any weakness, it is their nervous system, and right now he was intent on shutting it down.
Already the Hydra writhed in agony, its body unable to cope with the torturous destruction of one of its spines.

It spasmed once more under his steel grip, and then collapsed beneath him, leaving him standing on a mound of so much scaly flesh.

"IMPOSSIBLE!" screamed the Baron, standing from his seat above.
"Oh... oh no..." muttered his wife, in abject terror.
Ironblood just stared at them coldly, and pointed a finger at the Baron.
"It seems we need to have a 'meeting'." he said, coldly.

He grabbed a handhold in the masonry, and hauled himself up the side of the arena with frightening speed.
Ironblood was mad, and he wasn't picky. He came first to the Baroness, though she tried to run away.
Grabbing her by the ear, he beat her to a bloody pulp, as the Baron stood and watched, a whimpering terror.
As he watched the dwarf crushed his wife's form, he came to a sudden, horrid realization.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

And now he turned to the Baron.

"No... please! I'll give you whatever you want!" shrieked the Baron.
"All I want, Baron... is vengeance." Ironblood replied, and brought down his bloody fist.

Events of the 27th of Felsite.
Ironblood awoke in his bed. His head still hurt, but the red cloud had gone.
It was true the Baron and Baroness were dead, however. And by his hand. A hydra too.
Despite the obvious accomplishment there, he wasn't pleased.
He had been betrayed by the aristocracy, again.

He didn't really want any more to come.

Elsewhere in the fortress, the Acolyte had been awake all night. So many unpleasant surprises in an evening had rendered her unable to sleep.
From a scrying pool she had witnessed Ironblood destroy the Hydra. all whilst naked.
She had also seen him slay her companions and then head back to bed.
It was all going awry, but she still had to carry on. Her god depended on her, after all.
And now the divine reward would not have to be split between four.
Hopefully Archibess would remain sane and faithful to her.

Ironblood, however, was even more of a problem. She had no idea that his strength ran so deep, and though she had guided him gently previously, it was clear that this was going to require even more tact in the near future.
The Captain was a serious danger to the operation, but how could the fortress operate without him?

The Acolyte had lost control over the goblins since Song's death, and though they kept coming, the Acolyte had no control over them. She just had to hope they would get lucky and strike down some of the more powerful members of the military.

But, of course, if she could complete her mission, surely that would cease to be an issue. Her god would return, crush these infidels, and raise her to a status beyond the imaginings of mere mortals.

Yes. That is what must be done.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: March 16, 2008, 12:36:00 am »

Captain's Log. 27th of Felsite.
Clearly the effects of last nights slaughter have yet to take their full measure.
Today, the baby most recently nursed by the late baroness threw itself into the Stairwell of Sorrow.
Most of it settled on Dumed's masterpiece "The Blotch of Hogs", an image of a goblin making a plaintive gesture.
The baby's right upper leg rested on Dumed's less masterful, but still excellent "The Leaky Interior Door." An image of a goblin shooting a dwarf.
The left upper leg was on top of my own rather nice image, "The Convenient Waviness". An image of a dwarf striking down a goblin. It was about the time I struck down a goblin. For the first time that is.

The whole Pantlashed family is quite angry, and miserable, and surely this death won't ease their suffering.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: March 16, 2008, 12:45:00 am »

Captain's Log. 20th of Hematite.
Several of the Pantlashed family have become very angry indeed lately, lashing out at random.

I've had to talk with a few of them, to try to smooth things over.

We also managed to get a good look around the Baron's bedroom, looking for signs of things out of the ordinary. I think the thing that most stood out was the dungeon in the back. That was definitely very strange.

Also the strange runes all over that room. I would say we've discovered our cultists. I'm still not sure how deep it goes, but surely the Baron must have been masterminding it. I feel Archibess may be involved, but I daren't try anything crazy without evidence first.

In any case, hopefully by cutting off the snake's head, the body will wither.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: March 16, 2008, 12:55:00 am »

Captain's Log. 24th of Hematite.
Well, the inevitable has occurred.
Zasit, a royal guardswoman, and daughter of the Baron, destroyed her own bed.
Apparently, under some artifact of a law, this warrants two hammerstrikes.
Her brother, Geshud, destroyed a throne of gabbro. Apparently this warrants nearly two months in prison.

Hopefully it will give them both something to think about.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: March 16, 2008, 01:04:00 am »

Captain's Log. 27th of Hematite.
After days of hiding, Zasit finally was apprehended by Vugor.
Not until after she'd destroyed one of the bridges in the great shaft, however.

Now, apparently, she must serve 51 days in prison before being struck by the Hammerer.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: March 16, 2008, 01:17:00 am »

You know, I don't usually do signatures, but this is too good...
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Ancient Whale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: March 16, 2008, 07:10:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Mayday:
<STRONG>
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind.</STRONG>

I've been following the story for a while, and I cackled loudly at this. This thread is made out of multiple awesomes.

While I'm posting anyway, could I have the philosopher please, if he's not taken? Name "Gifos". He has had an epiphany and now preaches that the world is in fact inside a great whale and it will end when the whale sneezes it out. Therefore he protests all fires and anything that produces smoke. If he's taken, give me anything you like.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: March 16, 2008, 08:18:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Ancient Whale:
<STRONG>

I've been following the story for a while, and I cackled loudly at this. This thread is made out of multiple awesomes.

While I'm posting anyway, could I have the philosopher please, if he's not taken? Name "Gifos". He has had an epiphany and now preaches that the world is in fact inside a great whale and it will end when the whale sneezes it out. Therefore he protests all fires and anything that produces smoke. If he's taken, give me anything you like.

Thanks and keep up the good work.</STRONG>

He's taken. I'll give you a guy, though.

Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 265