Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 265

Author Topic: Nist Akath - The Complete Story  (Read 602770 times)

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
Re: Nist Akath. Betrayal in the Tundra.
« Reply #1545 on: March 10, 2008, 02:30:00 pm »

Copyrights aren't something to mess with Akroma. I could say much more on the subject, but I think rather then start some kind of a nasty disagreement, let me just say that bank robbers never expect to get caught after they rob a bank either. Granted, there is a lot lower conviction rate on copyright infringements when it comes to music vs incidences of copyright infringement then bank robbery convictions to bank robberies, but that doesn't do a thing for either illegal music users or the bank robbers that are caught.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

CaptainBlood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: March 10, 2008, 02:55:00 pm »

Awesome story Mayday! I've been wondering around the forums since this topic was on page 48 and finally signed up 90% because of Nist Akath... 8% because I may have a question about DF someday, and 2% because of the above copyright topic.
THIS DEBATE IS POINTLESS... lol

Akroma, I downloaded it, I loved it, good job man its bad ass.

I hope I'll have a fortress half as amazing as Nist Akath eventually, although I doubt it... lol death by minor goblin assault or flood seems to be the case most often..

You've really done a great job in storytelling on this Capn and given me several very less boring workdays.

[ March 10, 2008: Message edited by: CaptainBlood ]

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: March 10, 2008, 03:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kaelem Gaen:
<STRONG>Hmm, now we should find some composers in our community and have them make an official Nist Akath Soundtrack, and release it like OCR released Chrono Sympony (I think that was the name.) </STRONG>

Well, we already have A Dwarven Ballad.
I wonder who remembers that one?
I recently found it lying around on my computer and just had to listen to it  :)

But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Werdnari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: March 10, 2008, 03:30:00 pm »

That soundtrack is simply amazing, Akroma. "In the Mood" is perfect for an Ironblood theme song.

Topace3k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: March 10, 2008, 06:59:00 pm »

The soundtrack choices are excellent.  Thanks for posting it.

This thread is amazing.  It's the greatest DF Epic since BoatMurdered.  Excellent work.

Jakkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: March 10, 2008, 08:33:00 pm »

Salutations one and all *bows*

Newcomer and first post, I finally gave in to curiosity and began prodding at Dwarf Fortress a week ago, and came to actually understand it within only.. Three days or so >.>

I began reading Nist Akath from the first page last night, finally stopped around page 30 after four hours, and finished up tonight after another four or five. In my defense, I was chatting at the same time.

So, yes.. Another newcomer inspired to register by this thread.

Examples of fiction such as this and the Saga of Boatmurdered are the gems cut from the rough of Dwarf Fortress, the crowning achievements of some of the best and most detailed programming and design I've ever seen. To Mayday and Toady One, my thanks and congratulations, you've amused and fascinated me, respectively.

Thoughts that have crossed my mind during the long hours of reading Betrayal in the Tundra:

Hell yes, Mussorgsky's Night on Bare Mountain was precisely the song I chose to listen to for much of the read, it fits the 'soundtrack' perfectly =)

And secondly; Evidently a Discworld fan, but have you ever read the works of Frank Herbert, Captain Mayday? Dune or The Dosadi Experiment would be sufficient.

The effect of the privations of Nist Akath had upon the denizens, training so many into dwarven lords of combat who just -can't die- put me strongly in mind of the Sardaukar, trained for survival by life on the hellworld of Salusa Secundus, in the universe of Dune.

If you've not, it's well worth reading, one of the finest I've read, though Nist Akath made me laugh more =P

Some of the edge was lost when you began using support programs to arrange things more conveniently, but I understand your reasons.

I hope that by the time Dwarf Fortress is a completed project, it will be unnecessary, as the game continues to surprise and challenge even to the extremes Nist Akath has reached.

Anyway.. Good luck, and keep it up, I hope you find your optimum moment to end the tale, but I hope even more that there'll be a sequel   ;)

And thanks to all posters and contributors who lent their names and thoughts to the evolution of the fortress, you only added to the fun =D

- Jack

Edit: Oh my, Saint Saens 'Danse Macabre'.. I'd forgotten this piece. THIS is the 'strange mood' music of Dwarf Fortress. Imagine this as raving dwarves sprint, vomiting through your hallowed halls, imagine the repeated image of exploding maniacs with beards hitting the floor of the Stair of Sorrow to the climactix drumbeats, the building crescendos accompanying the mad demands of craftsmen and angry nobles!

Picture their hallucinations..

Lines of Skelks standing aloft upon hind legs, hooves linked as they dance the kan-kan in a circle around the Hammer tower, before an engraving of A Dwarf in the Fetal Position terminally interrupts all cognitive process.

Mm. Music. Yes.

*scampers giggling back into Nist Akath*

(And on that note, let there be a male dwarf of any walk of life named Jakkar, should there ever be a spot, good sir *grins*)

[ March 10, 2008: Message edited by: Jakkar ]

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: March 11, 2008, 01:08:00 am »

Yeah, I've read the Dune books by Frank Herbert, and part of one by his son.   :(

I can give you a dwarf, no problem.

Note to others: If you want a dwarf, I can give you one, but the following make it more likely you'll get one:
Military dwarf,
Female dwarf,
No particular profession or personality requirements.

Oh, and as for music, I quite like Rhapsody - Village of Dwarves, and Rhapsody - Lord of the Winter Snow, and Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King

[ March 11, 2008: Message edited by: Captain Mayday ]

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Wintrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: March 11, 2008, 03:24:00 am »

I'd love a
Female dwarf,
If possible someone from the Fairsabres clan.  :)
Dwarfs being in love with gold. "What? No, we only say that to get it into bed."

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: March 11, 2008, 04:38:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Wintrow:
<STRONG>I'd love a
Female dwarf,
If possible someone from the Fairsabres clan.   :)</STRONG>

No problem. I can do that as soon as I get back to the game.

Jakkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: March 11, 2008, 05:37:00 am »

Aye, I heard his son's followups were lacking. I've been bought a few but haven't cared to read them, personally.

Frank's own latter trilogy has been.. Strange, so far, but in their own way equally as good as Heretics and Children. Nothing beats the original, straight 'Dune', however.

Heh, you should make a project out of a 'hell world' fortress. See how tough your dwarves will become in a burnt, haunted wasteland. Perhaps create and abandon a fort which floods the zone with magma, then reclaim.

Hell, someone should reclaim Boatmurdered as a community fortress *grins*

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: March 11, 2008, 07:54:00 am »

Events of the 11th of Hematite.
Ironblood leaned against the western gateway, just ahead of the trapped section which at this point in time was covered in bones.

His weapons leaned against the wall next to him as he indulged in a flask of wine and one of Xotes' delicious crumpets.
"That hits the spot..." he mumbled to himself.

In the silence of contentment, his ears heard a scream coming from the distance.
He looked at the half of the crumpet remaining and sighed.
Stuffing it into his knapsack he picked up his axe and shield and went to investigate beyond the boundaries of the fortress.
----------------

Ostri usually came with guards. He had come with guards this time, but they had been irreversibly murdered by the goblins now pursuing him.
He had been screaming for help as he neared the fortress that now loomed before him, and although his aged body would normally have collapsed after all this running, he supposed that now he was running on fear.

Undoubtedly as soon as he stopped he would die, one way or the other.

It was not with small relief that he noticed a single dwarf running towards him. The tattered clothes, the mud, blood and vomit encrusted form.
It could only be Ironblood.

It was probably the only time that Ostri had ever been glad the dwarf possessed these features.

"HELP ME!" screamed Ostri as Ironblood came closer.
"I'VE ONLY HAD HALF MY CRUMPET!" screamed Ironblood in return.
Ostri wasn't sure if this comment was meant as a reply or just a statement in general.

The dwarf very nearly flew into the nearest goblin, and although Ostri wasn't sure exactly what happened, he was sure that immediately afterwards Ironblood was dealing with the others in a very trance-like fashion, and goblin body parts were everywhere.

Ironblood buried his axe in a nearby goblin and began twisting it sickeningly as the goblin screamed in agony.
Another goblin ran to assist but Ironblood batted aside its shield with his own, and shattered its exposed leg with a single strike while simultaneously extricating his axe.

The axe, now freed, struck the head from the goblin whose leg he had just broken, and swung back around to cleave the axe-violated goblin in half.
He literally crushed the second-last goblin with the flat of his axe as the final goblin charged him in desperate fury, only to find itself short a right arm and a left hand.
The remaining parts of the left arm soon followed, along with the legs.
Ironblood was clearly feeling mean today.

The limbless Ngokang Actfly hadn't started today thinking he'd be dismembered in the worst possible way. His limbs now lay, in pieces, nearby. His weapons still held by his hands.
The blow that separated his head from his body came as something of a relief.

Ostri had been standing there, watching all this, and wandered up to Ironblood.
Ironblood saw him approach and held up a quietening finger as he pulled something out of his knapsack.
It was half a crumpet, and he ate it hungrily.
Once he had finished, he turned to Ostri and said "Now. I believe we have a meeting to get on with."

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: March 11, 2008, 08:11:00 am »

Events of the 13th of Hematite.
Gimli had been bored. These human traders, while basically sitting ducks, moved so slowly.
And, because the rest of his squad was goofing off doing other things, he was left alone to babysit the humans.

He didn't actually expect to be attacked by goblins. Most of the wagons were already inside the gates, and not able to be further bothered by the green skinned bastards.

And yet, here he was, surrounded on all sides by the creatures. They appeared gleeful at catching him alone.
The glee somewhat lessened when he buried his axe in the closest one's belly before beheading it.

Gimli briefly wondered if he could kill them all before the next merchant came around the corner, and sighed as it emerged almost as soon as he thought this.
The merchant appeared horrified at what was in front of him.
Two and a half living goblins.

"HELP!" he called out, and a human pikeman came jogging around the corner in response.
"Never fear, friend dwarf!" he shouted, patronisingly, before sticking his pike into an unconscious goblin as Gimli destroyed the last threatening one.
"I feel so much safer." he said dryly, and quickly assisted the pikeman in ending the life of the goblin. "Maybe now I can sleep soundly."
The human just grinned stupidy.

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: March 11, 2008, 08:29:00 am »

quote:
"I'VE ONLY HAD HALF MY CRUMPET!" screamed Ironblood in return.

Made me spit coffee haha.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: March 11, 2008, 08:31:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Mayday:
<STRONG>
The limbless Ngokang Actfly hadn't started today thinking he'd be dismembered in the worst possible way. His limbs now lay, in pieces, nearby. His weapons still held by his hands.
The blow that separated his head from his body came as something of a relief.
</STRONG>

Epic, as usual

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: March 11, 2008, 09:29:00 am »

Events 15th of Hematite.
It was with some surprise that a goblin army assaulted the fortress today, slaughtering the humans still on the outskirts.
The other humans, as though linked mentally, went mad. Some had to be put down by their comrades.

The spiral of carnage left a nasty mess.

The goblins were more easily dealt with than the distraught, and insane, human survivors. I don't know what to do with them at all.

Another strange thing happened today.
It was a goblin. He's come here, without hostility, seeking our protection. It appears he is an exile, and seeks safety in the only place goblins can never claim.
With his entire family slain for his outspoken words against sieging this very fortress, he has barely escaped with his life, and says he'll be more than happy to indulge in whatever mundane tasks we give to him.

I'll keep him under watch, but he doesn't seem to mind the complete slaughter of his species outside our walls.

Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 265