Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 265

Author Topic: Nist Akath - The Complete Story  (Read 602751 times)

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nist Akath. Betrayal in the Tundra.
« Reply #1500 on: March 08, 2008, 11:22:00 am »

Can we get another video of Bomrek butchering goblins by the 100s?

Ironblood vs a titan is no challenge.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: March 08, 2008, 11:37:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Akroma:
<STRONG>how come Nist Akath is such a gold mine for epic quotes ?

damn, I just noticed that this was post Nr 1500, and I had nothing memorable to say...I will go and play with the carp now

[ March 08, 2008: Message edited by: Akroma ]</STRONG>

Nist Akath is awesome. I would love to be able to play one fortress this long without getting bored or failing horribly.

I wonder if it'll get past 9000 posts. *waits*

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: March 08, 2008, 11:39:00 am »

Even Further Events of the 9th of Hematite
Loruca took no time to counter-charge the tiny dwarf.
The dwarf was deceptively fast, however, and simply dodged his attack, striking him in the hand.
Fortunately, Loruca was thick skinned these days, and more would be required to put him down than that.
He lunged at the dwarf again and again, only to find the dwarf not there every time.
Confused, he swiped angrily at the dwarf, only to find him absent from view, and, more distressingly, an extremely painful feeling in his lower back.

Ironblood stood behind the Titan, looking at the gaping wound he had dealt the Titan. It gushed with blood and he could see the spine and all sorts of organs.
"Disgusting." he muttered.
"ARRGH!" screamed Loruca in rage, and lunged at Ironblood time and again. Ironblood merely repeated his strategy of not being wherever was getting hit.

It was around this time that Bullion showed up with the beginnings of his squad.
"Here to help, sir!" he shouted.
"Lets finish this guy off then attend to the goblins." Ironblood shouted back.
Loruca snarled angrily.
"FINISH ME OFF!?" he shouted. "I REFUSE TO BE CONSIDERED A MERE NUISANCE!"
"You better try harder then." replied Ironblood, grinning. The damn fool of a creature wasn't even noticing the blood gushing from his body. Better still, it was losing its combat focus.

"YOU'RE NOT TRYING HARD ENOUGH!" he shouted again, striking Loruca in the back, cutting into his upper spine. Loruca gasped for breath, and felt as if he were drowning.

"This is boring!" muttered Bullion, and stuck his scimitar into Loruca's right thigh, eliciting a fury driven response from the Titan which he had to roll and block using his shield.
"Or maybe not..." he grinned.
His squadmember Etur disagreed, smashing the Titan in the chest with the flail, winding him badly.
"No," she said, "you were right the first time."

Loruca stumbled, his mind foggy. All he knew right now was that he was slowly being stabbed, bruised, and winded again and again.
The scimitar-wielding dwarf had slashed into his belly, while the flail-wielding dwarf continually knocked the breath from him, while that damnable axe-wielding dwarf plagued his every movement.
That very dwarf was, at this moment, lunging at the back of his head and pulling him to the ground.

Ironblood released his grip on Loruca's skull and regained his grip on his axe. Bullion managed to get a single good hit in before Loruca rolled aside to try to get up again.

"No you don't!" shouted Ironblood, burying his axe in the Titan's hand.
"MY HAND!" screamed Loruca, standing up anyway. Ironblood held on to the axe lodged in the Titan's flesh, and gazed menacingly into the Titan's eyes.
"You have my axe." he said.
"GET OFF!" he shrieked, stumbling back to the ground.
Ironblood merely twisted the axe around, scraping bone and rending flesh and nerves.
"STOP!" Loruca screamed, shaking his hand such that Ironblood lost his grip on the axe.

Nok strode into the battle as she saw an opening, plunging her spear into the giant's upper torso, piercing his vital respiratory and circulatory organs.
Even titans need lungs and a heart, and Loruca looked at his chest sadly, and then at his hand.
Other dwarves were striding in, now, sticking their weapons into him, twisting. He stumbled forward, crawling, trying instinctively to escape. Blood gushed from every wound, and there was still that dwarf whose axe was stuck in his hand. That dwarf wandered off to the side a bit, waiting to get his axe back, no doubt.

He slumped, finally, into the snow, a bloody opening round in the battles that would be fought today.

Ironblood looked at the corpse and sighed. It would take a bit to work the axe free. He may as well go get a spare rather than wait.
Bomrek emerged from the depot and ran towards him.
"I got help!" she said.
"So I found!" he grinned back, giving her a hug.
"What's next?" she asked.
"The lads are going out to confront the goblins, I'm getting an axe, and hopefully we're all back in time for dinner."
"Sounds good." she smiled back.

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: March 08, 2008, 11:42:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Asehujiko:
<STRONG>Can we get another video of Bomrek butchering goblins by the 100s?

Ironblood vs a titan is no challenge.</STRONG>

The Titan in question was size 40, with 40 strength, agility and toughness, with a fair bit of damblock thrown in.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: March 08, 2008, 11:45:00 am »

Awesome!!! Dude its like this story has no end of awesomeness. My only worry is what will happen when the WORLD runs out of megabeasts.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: March 08, 2008, 11:49:00 am »

so, what's for dinner ?
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: March 08, 2008, 12:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Mayday:
<STRONG>

The Titan in question was size 40, with 40 strength, agility and toughness, with a fair bit of damblock thrown in.</STRONG>

You know agility, toughness, and strength go up to 100, right?

How much does size go up to, though? Like, in the raws. Size 1000, maybe?

And you can transform anything into a GCS; it will have the same body but will spit webs and inject poison, I believe. So turn the next group of skelks into skeletal four-legged antlered giant cave spiders.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: March 08, 2008, 12:32:00 pm »

Even More Events of the 9th of Hematite
Bullion and Adalore marched their squads to the south gate.
A large squad of goblin bowmen waited there, and began firing at them like their lived depended on it. Which of course they did.

Tode Pagespider watched the massacre of the goblin archer regiment from a short way off. He suddenly felt extremely exposed, and wondered how the third group was faring at the moment. If there were to be any progress here, it was clear that he would have to face it. These warriors were fierce, and lets face it, he was probably not up to the task of taking any of them down. Fortunately he had about a dozen totally expendable swordsmen at his call.
"Now lads!" he said, "I know what we just saw, but..."
"THEY JUST SLAUGHTERED A SQUAD WITHOUT TAKING A SINGLE WOUND!" shrieked Utes Poisonearths.
"Calm down. We don't know that they're unwounded. Besides, archers are no good in melee combat, everybody knows that." said Tode, soothingly. He would make sure that Utes died first, so help him.
"Er..." interrupted Amxu, "they're coming towards us!"
"WHAT?" shouted Tode, "Um... CHARGE!"
The goblins ran towards the dwarven threat with some hesitation. Tode stayed at the back, however. The reason he gave was that his whip was merely a support weapon.
The others had wondered why he used a whip, and now that he used this excuse they finally understood.
The dwarves raced towards them, but the bolts reached the goblins first.

Moments later Bullion charged into the goblins, his mind clear.
The combat was a blur, though. Blood spurting everywhere and such. He noticed a goblin with a whip stumbling around with bulging eyes and a bolt stuck through his neck at one point.
The others joined him moments later, and goblin body parts were soon strewn about the area.
=============

To the west, Grimheld was holding the goblins off by himself. His first battle did not go as he had hoped, as the goblin bowman leading the assault shot him through the chest, slaying him.
He watched as goblins ran up the ramp and over his dying body, only to be slaughtered by the traps at his back.

Olngo Hellduties lowered his bow. Thus far resistance had been minimal, though he suspected it had more to do with the sounds of carnage to the south rather than any lack of defense overall. Surely the goblins to the south were enjoying slaughtering these pitiful dwarves.
He envied them, but at least he, unlike his men, had slain a dwarf today.
That was when poor Utes Poisonbone stood on the trap, sending two pikes shooting out of the ground into his limbs.
Olngo could barely suppress a sympathetic gasp, and then began to understand the full horror of his charge order.
His men were spilling onto the traps, and being torn to shreds.
Bolts whizzed over the top of the ramps. Clearly an enemy was shooting at his men even as they were murdered by the traps.

He marched up the ramp, and, standing carefully on top of the bodies to avoid the traps, took a shot at the offending dwarf, piercing him through the leg. A second shot followed the first, and the dwarf dropped to the ground, clutching his leg.

To Olngo's surprise, Dostngosp made it past the traps and began marching on the fallen dwarf.
"Put it out of its misery!" shouted Olngo encouragingly.

Sidew lay on the snow, pain wracking his leg. He watched in horror as the goblin maceman marched on him.
Another arrow struck him in the right arm, sticking deep into the wound. Yet another into his leg again.

The goblin maceman broke into a mad grin as it marched on him, disregarding the distant shouts of dwarves coming to help their fallen comrade.

It raised its mace to do the deed, and Sidew passed out from fear and pain.
It was then that the bolt hit it in the leg.
Another joined it seconds later, and the goblin stumbled to the ground.
"No!" it hissed.
"NO!" shouted Olngo, safely back behind the traps.

Doren ran past Sidew to chase down the goblins. "What's his status?" he called to Scorpios who was checking on Sidew.
"I'm afraid we're too late. Too many wounds."
"DAMN!" spat Doren.

Other dwarves converged on their position. Olngo was acutely aware that he was now very much on his own. His sole remaining men, Snang and Nguslu, were behind him, and the latter was struggling with her injuries.
He was acutely aware that an angry dwarf was now moments away from him.
He was acutely aware of the spear entering his leg, followed by a repeat performance upon his arm.
Then he was aware of Snang standing above his ruined body, ready to defend him.
He was subsequently aware of her running away as fast as she could.
She of course never made it.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: March 08, 2008, 12:38:00 pm »

"Archers are Overpowered"
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: March 08, 2008, 12:41:00 pm »

Captain's Log. 10th of Hematite.
The battle is finally over. Once again we've lost some new blood, which is a shame. But we lost none of our greatest heroes, which is always a good thing.
For some reason Id was not available to be at the designated meeting zone at the specified time, possibly due to a lack of forewarnedness.
This lack of support cost Grimheld and Sidew their lives.

Tonight we drink to their bravery.

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: March 08, 2008, 01:26:00 pm »

it seems you're giving a bit more cover to the less used dwarves, is this a story decision or is it community driven?

Nice work on the fight btw, My dwarf got some dialogue!

Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

Trax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: March 08, 2008, 01:49:00 pm »

I wonder if there's any adamantium or a chasm on the map that hasn't been discovered yet. That would be cool.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: March 08, 2008, 02:31:00 pm »

This is uncontested in Epic.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: March 08, 2008, 02:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Bullion:
<STRONG>it seems you're giving a bit more cover to the less used dwarves, is this a story decision or is it community driven?

Nice work on the fight btw, My dwarf got some dialogue!</STRONG>

I think that's because nothing can kill the older dwarves...  So it's uh, pointless.

"Yeah, our 100+ legendary guys just killed fifty goblins.  Meanwhile, a newbie squad fought for their life against another squad of goblins.  It was an epic battle, and one of them fought until both arms where cut off,  then he began kicking the goblins, when he was finally finished off before his other squadmates could save him."

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #1514 on: March 08, 2008, 02:50:00 pm »

Just wanted to pop in and say I love the story Mayday and the fort you've made is absolutely beautiful.  My hats off to you.  I never would've tried to do a community fort without having read Nist Akath.  You sir, are a dwarf among dwarves.
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 265