Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 265

Author Topic: Nist Akath - The Complete Story  (Read 603371 times)

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
Re: Nist Akath. Betrayal in the Tundra.
« Reply #1080 on: February 10, 2008, 09:08:00 am »

Hey! I finally found my dwarf!
He's the hammerer, and you named him "Lawhammer" in dwarven.
Woot!

Wait...
Isn't he the one the Captain smashed with the cabinet?
Damn.

I need a new dwarf.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: February 10, 2008, 10:05:00 am »

Captain's Log. 1st of Timber.
It seems the Pagepear girl, Shorast, has felt the need to seize a crafts workshop, and set to work gathering resources.
I do hope that she manages to gather everything, I know the results when this sort of thing fails to pan out.
It would be unfortunate.

In addition, the plans for my tomb are proceeding apace!
We've created a large, and impressive, room, and are in the process of preparing it to be flooded.
We've also found a hole into a great abyss, and have commenced work on a drainage system to prevent flooding throughout the fortress.

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: February 10, 2008, 10:13:00 am »

you've found a chasm?
i can only imagine what you'll do with that.
Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: February 10, 2008, 10:15:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Bullion:
<STRONG>you've found a chasm?
i can only imagine what you'll do with that.</STRONG>

found, made, lets not get too involved in details.
I took the liberty of making some in a more convenient spot after I accidentally punched a hole through the bottom z level floor with a cave in involving ice, and ascertained it never filled up.
It's a bit hacky, but I hope you'll forgive me, since having a drainage system will stop players from accidentally flooding the fort and never being able to adventure there again.

Edit: I also hacked the surface, since I didn't feel like pressing enter a million times. I haven't hacked anything that I would not have been able to do myself. The game is getting really laggy at this point in time and it's a bit ridiculous to spend a long time on mundane projects like paving the ground outside.

[ February 10, 2008: Message edited by: Captain Mayday ]

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: February 10, 2008, 10:17:00 am »

wait, did you mod in a chasm ?

didn#t know the utilities got that far

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: February 10, 2008, 10:19:00 am »

Yep. But basically it's just 'open space' instead of actual chasm. You can get the script with Dwarf Companion now, and run it from the command line.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: February 10, 2008, 10:34:00 am »

is there any way to mod in glowing pits too ?
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: February 10, 2008, 10:35:00 am »

I gotta say probably not, because they're generated specially. You could place the tile, sure, but whether it would do anything is another story.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: February 10, 2008, 10:56:00 am »

Captain's Log. 22nd of Timber
Well, Shorast has finished her work. "Burnedcoiled the Beans of Singing" is not the first name that comes to mind when I look upon the earring, what with its images of muck roots and circles, barely visible through all the spikes, rings, and encrustings.

Still, she did good work in making it, and I made sure to praise her. Good for young minds, that sort of thing.
Plus it is worth around 108000, not that I mentioned that to her.

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #1089 on: February 10, 2008, 11:25:00 am »

So... now that my dwarf has been brutally eviscerated, could I have a new one?
Someone who is less likely to die as a direct consequence of the Captain's actions in the near future?

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: February 10, 2008, 11:30:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Dwarfaholic:
<STRONG>So... now that my dwarf has been brutally eviscerated, could I have a new one?
Someone who is less likely to die as a direct consequence of the Captain's actions in the near future?</STRONG>

Well... we're pretty low on dwarves. And given the path the story has taken, I can't count you out yet.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: February 10, 2008, 12:15:00 pm »

Captain's Log. 16th of Moonstone.
Today the goblins brought a proper army. I've ordered the gates sealed and have equipped myself and all soldiers with crossbows.

Unfortunately, Eden, Nok and Doren were outside at the time.
Rather than wait for us to open the gates, they engages the goblin threat head on.

Events of the 16th of Moonstone.
With Doren leading the charge, they rushed towards the nearest group, containing mostly goblin hammermen.
Dodging two arrows on the way in, he stabbed the first goblin he came to through the head.

With Doren causing a major disturbance in the goblin ranks, Eden and Nok rushed forward to assist.
Doren at this time had lost his spear in some goblin, and was now actively involved in punching them and twisting them into brutal shapes.
He barely noticed the other two joining him as he retrieved his spear from the goblin 'holding' it.
The remaining goblins of that squad broke moments after their comrades began being hacked apart by Eden and run through by Nok.

The trio chased the squad until satisfied the next group could be targeted, but found they had been discovered rather sooner than they had anticipated as a bolt zinged past them.

"Eden, there's like... twenty of them." noted Nok.
"Not scared are you?" asked Eden, smiling.
"No, I just thought we should move towards them. This area is full now." she replied, pointing at the mounds of goblin corpses now surrounding.
Doren guffawed, and said "That's the spirit. There's only twenty of them... or so!"

Once more the trio charged the goblins. This time facing two whole squads on their own.
Goblin axemen and lashers swarmed them, and they were in the midst of a sea of green bodies, all trying to kill them.
The goblins had come at them in spear formation, which, Doren later noted, was ironic, because of the extreme number of deaths he himself had caused.

It took no more than the deaths of half the goblins to drive them off, and the trio of heroes were saturated in goblin blood by the end of it.
"I feel... sticky." said Nok, conversationally.
"Yes." grumbled Doren, "Can we go inside now?"
"Very well, comrades," said Eden, "lets go wait by the gate. Surely this siege must almost be over."

They returned to the gates to find themselves mistaken.
Captain Ironblood spoke to them from on top of the fortifications. They were, it seemed, preparing for an offensive against the crossbow goblins to the southeast, and Eden and his men were more than welcome to join the combined front as evening took the field.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: February 10, 2008, 12:17:00 pm »

Captain's Log. 17th of Moonstone.
To our surprise, and chagrin, I won't deny, the goblins ran off around lunchtime. Apparently Eden, Doren and Nok's brutal slaughter of their comrades had had a negative effect on their morale.

Still, alls well that ends well, and you can't argue with those kinds of results.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: February 10, 2008, 12:22:00 pm »

Fun fact: In the past two sieges, the Dwarves have actively repelled the goblin invaders, slaughtering them like sheep.
And they haven't taken a single wound either of those occassions.
Fairly impressive, I think, but I chalk it up to the training and the armour.

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: February 10, 2008, 01:03:00 pm »

Apparently, I can see who actually wears the pants in the Fairsabre family.... and apparently it isn't Nosey :P
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 265