Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 265

Author Topic: Nist Akath - The Complete Story  (Read 603382 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Re: Nist Akath. Betrayal in the Tundra.
« Reply #1035 on: February 08, 2008, 04:04:00 am »

oh god, we need someone with some art skills to draw this event

ironblood killing possessed hammerers with an artifact cabinet ?
do want

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: February 08, 2008, 06:46:00 am »

Captain's Log. 14th of Limestone.
Today the dwarven caravan entered sight.

Today the goblins arrived.

Today the goblins ambushed the caravan.

The battle was swift, and although the caravan was overrun, the soldiers defending it rallied to fight them off.

Unfortunately, this also meant that the caravan guards were subsequently out of employment, and sought refuge within our walls.

Of them, only one was a member of our nation, though of course we welcomed all of them with open arms.

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: February 08, 2008, 07:12:00 am »

Events of the 14th of Limestone.
"Without fail, traders always think they know best." muttered BingBing as he followed up the rear.

Acama walked with him.

"Now, now. You know that this is well known as a profitable traderoute, as mysterious as it might be. Just look at the fort on the horizon! Do you think beggars could build such a thing?" she asked.

"Humph. I suppose you're right. That doesn't make it any warmer, though! Why did they see fit to build here, anyway?"
"Some say it was all due to a broken wagon wheel." said Acama.
"Sounds like rubbish to me." replied BingBing.
"Well, that's what I heard. Now I'm just going up to the front to see how glorious leader Id is doing."

Acama wandered up to the front of the Caravan and began talking to Id.
The conversation was jovial and the air was relaxed. Only BingBing had his weapon readied. The solid feel of the crossbow gave him reassurance in this frightening land.

All of a sudden the goblins were upon them, having leapt out from snow covered sheets.
They were still too far from the fortress to expect any help, and would have to fight for their lives on their own.

But the goblins were more after the caravans than their throats, and it must have seemed to the traders that it was a poor idea to have only a single guard for each caravan on this trip.

And yet, they merely faced a squad of goblin lashers, commanded by a green (hah!) looking goblin axeman.
BingBing lifted his crossbow even as the others fumbled for their weapons.

He opened fire, but the goblins were numerous, and hid behind the very wagons they were attacking. His bolts found home in only a few of their hides, and the goblins utilized their precious moments of surprise, toppling one of the wagons over.

The driver thought his chances better on foot, and jumped out, racing to another wagon, leaving the horses and goods to the goblins.
"Away!" shouted a merchant, and began steering the caravan back the way it came.

More goblins sprung out into their path, met by stern resistance from Id and Acama.

BingBing marched forward, constantly firing his crossbow. He hoped there were more bolts in his quiver than their were goblins, or he would be forced to start using it as a club.

A second wagon was toppled, and the last remaining abandoned the other merchants to what its driver must have imagined would be a grisly fate.
The mercenaries watched it disappear into the distance as the goblins advanced.

Acama and Id fought back to back against an entire squad as BingBing moved towards them, firing at the goblins surrounding his two comrades.

Steel scourges scraped against their armor as they fought the goblins back.
The goblins had the advantage of numbers, however, and although their blows were landing, the dwarves couldn't hit all of them at once.

All the while they had not noticed that they were moving closer to the fortress walls, and the battle had not gone unnoticed by the dwarves within.
"HAVE AT YOU!" screamed Bomrek, emerging from the fortress gates.

The mercenaries were appalled. Here they were, fighting for their lives, and all they got to help them was a single warrior.

This single warrior though, charged their position and slaughtered two goblins in a single strike, allowing the mercenaries to finish off those remaining with little difficulty.
"Thanks for your help." said Id, nodding.
Bomrek nodded back, and said "Your wagon is gone."

The mercenaries turned to look for the wagon, but it was nowhere in sight.
"We can't go back. We'd die in the snow!" said BingBing.
"You'd best come in then." said Bomrek. "Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days."

[ February 08, 2008: Message edited by: Captain Mayday ]

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: February 08, 2008, 08:16:00 am »

Beyond Quality.

Could it turn out the merchant was the dwarf I requested, the priest(ess?)?

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: February 08, 2008, 08:18:00 am »

this gets better everytime i read it.
Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: February 08, 2008, 08:39:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Armok:
<STRONG>Beyond Quality.

Could it turn out the merchant was the dwarf I requested, the priest(ess?)?</STRONG>

Well, the only dwarves left alive that didn't escape were the mercenaries. But I'm shortening the list!  :)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: February 08, 2008, 09:10:00 am »

Hey, this is cool!

Name: Ioric Kiettencuddler
Job: Animal Handler with love of cats
Bye!

Er... Sorry, had to make the Ultima reference.

Sex: Male

Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: February 08, 2008, 10:10:00 am »

Events of the 2nd of Sandstone.
"Archibess. I'm glad you could make it."

Archibess was startled, she had been lost in thought, gazing across the moonlit tundra from high up on the Hammer Tower.
She turned to meet the dwarf who had summoned her. As she suspected, it was the Acolyte, leader of the subversive faction in Nist Akath.

"The Mistress said you wanted to see me?" she asked, nervously.
"See? Yes." said the Acolyte, walking towards her.

"Archibess, there comes a time when we must move up in the world." said the Acolyte conversationally.
"I'm already very good at making hats..." said Archibess, uncertainly. She wasn't sure she would actually want to move up in whatever fashion the Acolyte was contemplating.

"Yes, you certainly are!" said the Acolyte, soothingly, "But the thing is, there's been an opening."
"An opening?" asked Archibess.
"Yes. You see, the fortress is run on a strong judicial system. Without the threat of punishment, how can we have order?"
"I agree, mistress! Criminal behaviour must not be tolerated!" said Archibess enthusiastically.
"And unfortunately, our Hammerer appears to have... broken." mused the Acolyte.
"Yes. That was most dreadful!" agreed Archibess.

The Acolyte sighed, as she stood side-by-side with Archibess, observing the tundra.
"As you know, we have prevented the arrival of a number of migrants. What you may not know is that our kindred have also managed to stir fear of this place in the hearts of those in the Mountainhomes. No more should come."
"Yes, the mistress told me of some of these plans." said Archibess.
"It is impossible to procure a Hammerer externally!" stated the Acolyte.

"Wait... is this what I think it is? You want ME to become the new Hammerer?" asked Archibess, incredulously.
"There really is no other choice available." mused the Acolyte.
"But I don't know anything about Hammering! I haven't got the right mind for it, or the muscles!" protested Archibess.

"Yes," said the Acolyte, "this is no doubt the case. But all may change. Ends mark new beginnings, Archibess!"
"That's all very well, but..."
"Archibess, you will move up in the world. To do that, sometimes you must first move down." said the Acolyte, and promptly pushed Archibess over the edge, and watched her fall to the stone below.

"I'm sorry, Archibess." whispered the Acolyte, "My hand is forced."

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: February 08, 2008, 10:39:00 am »

Events of the 11th of Sandstone.
Archibess awoke with a gasp.
She was quite sure she should be dead, after all, she remembered falling.

She remembered being pushed... but how could that be? How could she be lying here, in bed, if she was dead?

But this wasn't her room. And it wasn't her bed.
The room was strewn with jewelry and shoes.

She knew this room. It was the room of the old Hammerer!
It felt like she was still here... all around the room... inside of her!
Archibess startled herself, and then chastised herself for startling herself.

But it was true that something was not right. She didn't feel like herself. Instead, she felt strong, fast, and capable in a fight.
She felt the need to dispense justice to the citizens of Nist Akath, not including the Acolyte and her sect, of course.
And she found herself surprised that she was not mad at the Acolyte. Instead, she felt grateful, as though some strange power had been given to her for the measely sum of her temporary demise.

It was time to face a new day! A new life! But it was also time to abandon part of her past. From this day forth she would be known as Archibess Shadowgraves!

Smirking, she wondered how Captain Ironblood would react when he heard of her promotion to this office.

[ February 08, 2008: Message edited by: Captain Mayday ]

argamemnon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.anthonyayers.com
« Reply #1044 on: February 08, 2008, 10:41:00 am »

Nice. Nice nice nice.
 can go days without speaking to anyone too!

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: February 08, 2008, 12:16:00 pm »

Events of the 16th of Sandstone
The Titan called to the dwarves, begging them to come out and face him in battle.
Bomrek stood there calmly, axe still strapped at her side.

"Who the hell do you think you are?" she asked, quite seriously.
"WHO AM I?!" thundered the Titan, "I am Coce Clashsounded! I am feared throughout the north!"
"What are you doing here then?" asked Bomrek.
"I... UH... I'VE COME TO FACE YOUR STRONGEST, LITTLE DWARF! GO FETCH HIM!" demanded Coce.
"Our strongest?" chuckled Bomrek. "How about I send you against three of our weakest, and then we'll go from there?"
"A TEST?! HAVE YOU NEVER HEARD OF ME?!" thundered Coce.
"No. Can't say that I have." said Bomrek. "Now, you shall face Id, Acama, and BingBing. They're new here, and frankly, they've been freeloading. It's time they had a proper fight, otherwise they're just going to get killed later on."
"A MERE THREE OF YOUR WEAKEST?!" boomed Coce.
"Yes. Three. And for heaven's sake, put some pants on!" said Bomrek.
"They... uh, they don't make them in my size..." said the Titan, a little sadly, and much more quietly.
"Right. Well, that's a shame. But to the business at hand! Meet each other outside the walls in... five minutes? I'll be keeping an eye on you."

"But... what if he wins?" asked Id.
"You'll die." said Bomrek, simply.
"What?!" demanded Id, Acama and BingBing at once.
"If you can't beat this guy, what makes you think you have what it takes to defend this fortress? Do you even know what we face here, on a routine basis? It isn't goblins you know! It's monsters far more dangerous than that overgrown nudist over there!"
"We know about the hydras." said Id.
"Knowing about them is different to fighting them. We always expect more. Now, you have an appointment waiting for you. His name is Coce." said Bomrek, concluding the discussion.

The three dwarves met the Titan on the open field. Bomrek called out the signal to commence, and BingBing began firing.
He quickly became horrified at just how little impact his bolts were horrfied, and Acama and Id quickly realized their own prized weapons were doing little more than giving it mild bruises.

"You'll have to do better than that!" shouted Bomrek from the walls.
"LISTEN TO LADY DWARF!" shouted Coce as he broke BingBing's left forearm, "YOU ARE NO GOOD AT FIGHTING!"
He set about working on BingBing's right arm as the other two dwarves attempted to do some sort of damage.

"Damn you!" Id snarled, charging the Titan from behind. She brought down her steel mace.
Instead of hitting the Titan, she struck thin air as it moved aside, and fell face first into the ground.

Coce chuckled, and let go of BingBing, who, with two crippled arms, wasn't doing anybody any favors. He smiled at the two other dwarves, as BingBing staggered to his feet, his crossbow useless at his feet.
With sudden ferocity he turned back to punch BingBing, striking his left forearm again, rendering it a bloody mess, and sending the marksdwarf sprawling, facefirst into the ground.
He leaned over BingBing, and took him by the right hand, smashing it with his fist, before simply punching BingBing in the spine, creating a horrible crunching sound, sending the marksdwarf into unconsciousness.

Coce turned his attention to the other dwarves, now that the marksdwarf who had peppered him with painful bolts was no longer capable of moving.
Acama and Id were trying to flank the Titan, with the obvious flaw in their plan being the fact that both of them could barely keep their footing against the overwhelmingly tall humanoid.

And so they found themselves on the defensive. They blocked the blows coming at them, counterstriking when possible, but more importantly simply staying alive.
Both knew that they had to stay relatively uninjured if they were going to survive this fight, and they couldn't afford to let themselves be hit.

It was on an opening gained by Acama that Id struck the Titan in the bowels, nauseating it.
"DAMN MIDGETS!" boomed the Titan, before vomiting all over the two dwarves.
"ARGH!" cried the dwarves as they were drenched in the horrid stuff.

They realized, however, this was a weakness, and Id promptly struck it again as Acama played decoy.
The Titan clearly wasn't feeling very well, as it stumbled for footing.
Id struck it in the chest, winding it.
"CURSE... YOU!" Coce wheezed, as he began to wonder how long he could keep this up. The dwarves looked fresh, while he was feeling it. Compared to the marksdwarf, these two were a real threat.

But at the same time it was exciting for Coce, who had not experienced this kind of combat for some time. He charged Acama with new vigour and knocked her tumbling backwards to the ground.

The battle went on like this for hours, and Coce soon found the inevitable happening. His muscles slackened of their own will, and he collapsed to the ground, barely able to defend himself.

"I AM SHAMED!" he shouted, bidding the dwarves to stop battle.
Acama and Id paused a moment, wary, but knowing they had the advantage.
"I.. I am shamed." said Coce, more quietly. "If you are the least skilled among your number, then my boasts were far too prideful. Please... let us call you the victors. I will trouble you no further."

Bomrek came forward. "Titan. You are defeated."
"Yes." said Coce. "I would ask you, brave dwarf, for your succor."
"My what?" demanded Bomrek.
"I wish to stay with such seasoned warriors. I was hasty in my boasts, for I am young, and eager to prove myself. I have failed, and cannot return to my home without something to show for it."
"You wish to stay with us? How can we trust you?" asked Bomrek.
"I swear it on my honor." said the Titan, bowing.
"And what of the skills you learn here?"
"I will put them to use in defense of yourselves, and myself."
"Very well. I shall have to clear this with Captain Ironblood." said Bomrek.

=========================

"A TITAN!?" Captain Ironblood choked, spitting out the rum he had been enjoying moments before.
"Yes sir." said Bomrek.
"A Titan. In here? You do realize what you're asking, Bomrek?"
"Of course. Remember where we are though, sir. Nist Akath has the most dangerous warriors in the entire Kingdom. I should know, I've been around it a few times before coming here."
"True. I still have some reservations."
"I told him the story of how you beat the possessed Hammerer to death with a cabinet."
"He was impressed."
"I think he was terrified. I don't think he'll be trouble." said Bomrek.
"He's your ward, Bomrek." replied Captain Ironblood, uncertainly.
"I'll see to his requirements." Bomrek said nodding.
"Find him some damned pants." said the Captain, "That'll make me happy."
"I'll do my best, Captain." Bomrek said, smiling.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: February 08, 2008, 12:34:00 pm »

you didn't really mod in a titan to join your dwarves did you ?

if so, I demand a screenshot and an explanation on how to do that NOW

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: February 08, 2008, 12:37:00 pm »

You should know better to distrust the Captain, Akroma! Of course he made the titan friendly!
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: February 08, 2008, 01:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Akroma:
<STRONG>you didn't really mod in a titan to join your dwarves did you ?

if so, I demand a screenshot and an explanation on how to do that NOW</STRONG>

Actually, doing this in 38a is really painful, since there's nothing out there yet that can modify enemy/friend status for different group entities.
I had to make the old titan a crap monster that had to be killed, and made a new Titan with the same name from a corpse.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: February 08, 2008, 01:35:00 pm »

HILARIUS!  :D
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...