Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 265

Author Topic: Nist Akath - The Complete Story  (Read 603395 times)

Morty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nist Akath. Betrayal in the Tundra.
« Reply #1005 on: February 07, 2008, 12:12:00 pm »

Maybe you could turn the arena into a training camp?

You may only need an object, why not a black copper scepter, to put in your chest?

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: February 07, 2008, 12:15:00 pm »

Why the sudden topic name change, Captain? You've had the old one for AGES, now.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: February 07, 2008, 12:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Xotes:
<STRONG>Why the sudden topic name change, Captain? You've had the old one for AGES, now.</STRONG>

Not much room left for new players, also hit the 1000 posts mark.

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: February 07, 2008, 12:23:00 pm »

Ah, yes. I suppose that WOULD be a good time for a name-change, then.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: February 07, 2008, 12:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Mayday:
<STRONG>Head of the Fairsabres. They really are a large clan, now.

You have six living children now. I've stopped updating that because it happens so often!

[ February 07, 2008: Message edited by: Captain Mayday ]</STRONG>

Are they mostly Peasants by now? Because I think my family should be their own squad XD

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: February 07, 2008, 12:41:00 pm »

They're still kids at the moment.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: February 07, 2008, 12:53:00 pm »

This is excellent.  I mean yer even roleplaying the "item in bedroom" bug perfectly!

Yes I read the player stories, I just mostly lurk through them instead of commenting.   :)

EDIT: Wish there was some way to find out what he really wanted before the demand lapses, probably wants a black bronze bed or something.

[ February 07, 2008: Message edited by: Greiger ]

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: February 07, 2008, 01:02:00 pm »

Captain's Log. 18th of Hematite.
He's finally done it!
I entered my office today to discover BurnedToast standing hopefully next to the second statue we put together from the latest Colossus.
"THAT'S IT!" I said. I shouted it. Right in his face.

He told me that the statue had been waiting for me to get it brought to my office anyway, and that I could have done it myself.

But it wasn't the statue. It was that there were TWO of them!
The lack of symmetry in the room had been throwing me off.

Now I can finally set my mind at ease, and go about my work properly.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: February 07, 2008, 01:17:00 pm »

Events of the 19th of Hematite.
The goblins moved under cover of darkness.
Grantyman was the first to spot them as he moved through the northern gate.
Goblin assassins rose up to attack him but had their bodies slashed apart by the wicked traps employed in the defense of the fortress.

The damnable creatures, their numbers dwindling, had changed tactics.

Grantyman wasted no time, and shouted for help.

The goblins mobilized immediately to defend themselves.
Five goblin crossbowmen led by a goblin swordsman.

More than one group was present, but it did them no good. The military guarded the compound while the goblins launched themselves upon the traps.
The bloodshed ended, eventually, and a few goblins were captured.

Bomrek stood, watching the carnage, musing on this development. The troops were not ready for this kind of battle. She would recommend more training be undergone before the next goblin siege.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: February 07, 2008, 01:23:00 pm »

Captain's Log. 20th of Hematite.
I ate dinner with Bomrek last night, after the goblin incident.
She requested I don my armor once more, and give combat demonstrations to the troops.

Personally I think they'd be fine against goblins, but it appears her concern is based on the newer troops.
Add to that the fact that about half of our forces have never seen actual combat, and I was forced to concede that it was a cause for concern.

Looks like we'll be getting some use out of the Arena that doesn't involve one of the Baron's pithy little performance pieces.

gimlisonofgloin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: February 07, 2008, 01:31:00 pm »

Ooooh. You upgraded to the new version!

BEWARE THE AMBUSHES!

They just pop up with no announcement until a Dwarf is in killing-range.

gimlisonofgloin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: February 07, 2008, 01:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Mayday:
<STRONG>

With Bartavelle's help, this has been done! Whoo!</STRONG>

Yeah!

Gimli Diamonddragon, baby.

The question is... am I part of the forces of good... or the forces of EEEEEVIL!?

:)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: February 07, 2008, 02:23:00 pm »

This. Is. Awesome.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

argamemnon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.anthonyayers.com
« Reply #1018 on: February 07, 2008, 02:45:00 pm »

Toady needs to consider using this story in any marketing he might do for the game. Every time I read a new entry, I start itching to play DF immediately. Bad news if I am at work...

Captain, could you enlighten us as to your creative process? Do you play and take notes, writing the entries later? Do you stop the game immediately to write entries as events present themselves? Are you still save scumming or has the fortress entered into a true state of invincibility?

can go days without speaking to anyone too!

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: February 07, 2008, 02:55:00 pm »

Events of the 5th of Malachite.
Captain Ironblood stood in the arena by himself. He was heavily armoured, wearing the best armour he had ever worn in his considerably violent life.

He looked up at the warriors standing above him. Only Adalore had shown up so far, with Vanon and Scorpios at his side. Adalore sat quietly, while the other two looked on in interest.

"Let us begin," said the Captain, his voice projecting an echo around the arena, "with the much maligned goblin thieves we have in captivity. Please note the weak points I target as I neutralize them."

"Bring out the first one!" he shouted.

At this a commotion began.

"IT'S FREE! LOOK OUT!" were the cries.

Adalore was standing and moving towards the entrance in a moment, Scorpios and Vanon at his side.

They opened the door to find Ral Paddlepainted fleeing down the hallway, and Toralnil the Hammerer smashing a goblin into a bloody pulp.
"More." said the Hammerer, simply, and entered the goblin holding pen.
Screams erupted as the Hammerer set to work, punishing the goblins for their misbehaviours.

Ironblood started moving towards the pens, slowed by the requirement that somebody let him out of the arena.

What greeted his eyes were three goblin corpses at the entrance.

He entered a room of carnage. All but two goblins were dead, their bodies shattered by the powerful hammer of Toralnil. The remaining goblins screeched in blind terror.

The Hammerer herself stood there, a crazed look in her eyes.
"Ironblood" she said, her voice gravelly all of a sudden.
Blood dripped off of her hammer, an image of dwarves speaking with other dwarves was highlighted by the blood.
"Toralnil." replied the Captain. "Explain yourself."
"I need explain nothing Ironblood. I have put down these cowardly dogs who would rather serve your purposes than die free, as goblins should."
"What the hell are you talking about, Hammerer?" spat the Captain, angrily.
"Talk!? NO MORE WORDS, IRONBLOOD!" she screamed, hurling herself at him.

Ironblood dodged quickly, slicing at the Hammerer's arm, cutting it badly.
The Hammerer barreled into him, knocking him back against the wall behind him.

Ironblood couldn't help but notice the Hammerer's torn flesh healing before his very eyes.

"By the gods!" he whispered to himself, as he tried to dodge the next blow.

Too late! He was struck in his right shoulder, and he could feel the bones breaking, even behind this excellent armour.

With a cry of pain, numbness shot down his arm, and he dropped his axe.

It wasn't his only weapon however, and he pulled an item from his back.
It was Kal Berim, the artifact gabbro cabinet he had carried with him for all these years.

The first bash with this fabled object broke the Hammerer's left upper arm, and sent her sprawling onto her face.

Ironblood brought it down again, smashing Toralnil in the back as she lay there.
"Lets see you heal from this!" he shouted.

The Hammerer did indeed gasp in pain as the cabinet smashed into her.

And yet, even after this, she stood up.

"STAY DOWN!" shouted the Captain, stepping forward and bringing down Kal Berim onto the Hammerer's left arm again, and knocking her to the ground once more.
As if to emphasize his point, he brought it down to crush her left leg.

Toralnil screamed out in fury and pain, and brought up her hammer to strike his head.

Ironblood thanked his lucky stars that he was wearing a helmet that day, as the clang threatened to deafen him, but otherwise did little. For a split second he made a note to thank its forger personally.

It seemed that the Captain was besting this creature he had once regarded as a fellow citizen. Although he could see the scrapes and cuts the Hammerer was suffering were healing quickly, the sickening crunches from inside the Hammerer suggested that the bludgeoning damage being inflicted was not so easily healed.

Suddenly Toralnil made a violent sweep with her hammer, forcing Ironblood to leap back, lest he be struck in a serious fashion.
The maneuvere was costly to Toralnil, however, leaving a wide opening that Ironblood quickly utilized.

He stepped forward, bringing down Kal Berim upon Toralnil's right knee, shattering it.
Striking again, while the Hammerer was disoriented by the pain, which was all too momentary an effect, he broke her right elbow, forcing her to drop the long-feared hammer.

And yet, Toralnil was persistent to the point of madness, which, it seemed to the Captain, was a suitable observation.
With her fist, she swung at him, once more, trying to slay this hated dwarf.
Ironblood kicked aside her arm, and brought up Kal Berim, smashing her bowels into ruin, and sending her flying across the room.

She was still barely alive, though not for long.
Ironblood walked over to her.
"Why?" he demanded.
"Ironblood..." she wheezed back, ignoring his question, "so... strong."
They were the last words she would utter in life.

As the adrenaline wore off, the Captain felt his wound more keenly, and clutched his shoulder.
"I need some answers." he said to himself, "I think I need to have a chat with the Baron."

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 265