Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37

Author Topic: Death and Glory!  (Read 58222 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Death and Glory!
« Reply #510 on: November 30, 2008, 08:52:17 am »

Assassin.  If he happens to lose an eye after dealing with a demon, well...

Good man, Jamini.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 30, 2008, 01:07:31 pm »

All right, it's been a little over a day now.
The current options are

1. Assassin             | Votes: 5
2. Dwarven Avenger | Votes: 1

Place your vote now.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 02:38:08 pm by Jamini »
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: November 30, 2008, 02:19:45 pm »

I'll go with my suggestion, naturally.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 01, 2008, 08:37:55 am »

Abstain.

Also, YAY! D&G IS BACK!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 01, 2008, 12:56:50 pm »

2. Dwarven Avenger | Votes: 0.
I'm outvoted regardless, but zero?  Maybe it's the electronic voting machine screwing up?

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #515 on: December 01, 2008, 01:02:28 pm »

I think proposing an adventurer doesn't imply voting for it.  Thus, you haven't voted yet.

I vote Assassin.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 01, 2008, 02:28:25 pm »

Asassy.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: December 01, 2008, 04:37:26 pm »

Ass.

What?

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: December 02, 2008, 02:39:23 pm »

2. Dwarven Avenger | Votes: 0.
I'm outvoted regardless, but zero?  Maybe it's the electronic voting machine screwing up?

I don't neccecarily count proposals as votes as it's possible that a person might like an idea proposed by somone else after their original post.

Still, it appears that the Assassin won the vote!

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Astus Ater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: December 02, 2008, 04:12:07 pm »

Can the assassin throw fish?
Legendary Liar:  "I just stabbed you and you died.  Sorry."
Victim:  "Well, if you say so." *thud*

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: December 02, 2008, 08:25:37 pm »

"Always shoot to kill."

That was the first peice of advice from my instructer so many years ago, in between his sodden sobbing over his lost wife and downing five pints of Sewer Brew in one sitting. It was that same day that he told me to discard the childhood nicknames that my friends had given me and granted me the honored name of Ol Olithvope... and the day that he showed me how quickly a person can kill a man who laughed at another's misfortune.

I hated it at the time, that name. The first bit, sport, it was his nickname for me. A honorific, given to the penniless street urchin who had followed him home in hopes of getting a bit of bread after being given a silver to deliver a message. The second was his and his alone, the title given to him by the victims of his blade in a distant kingdom. He was a killer, or an assissin as he preferred it. Giving that name to me was his way of branding me as his, after accepting my pleas to be his student. Sometimes, I think it might have been his secret way of punishing me for impudence, although the grizzled dwarf would never admit it.

Still, I can't say his training was poor. He taught me uncountable ways to kill another man bare-handed. He introduced and perfected my accuracy with a bow until it was first passable, and eventually somewhat uncanny. Most importantly, he taught me how to hide properly. He taught me how to blend myself not only into the shadows, but how to avoid detection in any light, in any surroundings, and with any number of other people around. Be it in a crowd of people, or in a niegh-barren room of a dwraven peasent, he taught me how to avoid being seen, so that I could follow his second and third cardinal rules: "Never fight a fair fight." and "Always be ready to run."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

His advice, naturally, had led me to Materonmo. A small outpost set on the eastern edge of Stalconleba, the armored plain, a few hours walk from the capital. More accuratly, it led me to The Glacier of Wandering, a tavern owned by the mayor and spearmaster of Materonmo, Mata Emsiibon.

Mata hadn't noticed me entering the building, however when I tapped his shoulder to get his attention at first his shock quickly turned into a grin of delight. His four false wooden teeth squelching in their sockets.

"So, you are the boy sent by the Olithvope eh?" He greeted me with a solid clap on the back, the force behind his arms almost enough to send me over the railing. "A good man, that dwarf, always keeps his word. Although I had expected someone a bit... tougher. Oh well, I suppose you will have to do."

I forced back his infectious smile, trying to keep my gaze averted from the rotting ceder in his mouth. "You have a job right? I'm not wasting my time here?" I wanted to spend as little time there as possible, he was disgusting.

Mata grinned wider, his arm reaching down a picking a small piece of sausage out of his breastplate that had been caught there. "My my, you are forthright. Fine. I have a job for somone with your... skills. If you take it I will make it worth your while."

"I know, what do you want?"

Mata gave me a long, hard look, his smile dropping for a far more serious and less disgusting frown. "You are insufferable, whelp, I want you to kill the Merchant Princess Ama Tarnishshields."

"What is the reward?"

"One weapon from the forge in Tuskevened." he drew a tattered peice of parchment from his armor and wrote a brief note. The paper was so yellow from sweat that I dared not think of what he had used it for in the recent past. "Show this to him, he will give you what you desire... within bounds."

Suspicious of the treatment, I looked the disturbing man in the eyes, noting a wide twich under his left eyebrow. "Why not do it yourself? You are clearly powerful enough." I stated it as a fact, rather than a question. Allowing my tone to provoke a response as Urist had taught me.

Mata gave me a cold stare now. His ire, and my pleasure in conjunction, clearly growing as I spent time asking him questions rather than following his instructions. He had to know I was not going to be his simple drone, to order about as he saw fit. "I have... responsabilities. Killing the merchant princess personally would invite her family against me, as well as giving her permission under law to both lay a bounty on my head and to lay sanctions against Materonmo. I can't give her what she deserves personally for what she has done to my family because of class restrictions, so I am hiring you. Are you happy now... Ol?"

"Fine, I accept your terms. I will not return untill the deed is done." I said simply, smiling within as I ran my hand along the lower edge of my bow. Perhaps this man would be useful in the future as a contact... provided I gave him what he wanted. Yes... perhaps...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: December 23, 2008, 06:26:14 pm »

Yay, it's dead again.  Uggh...  I've got the storytelling stamina of a dead slug.  The brilliant idea I half-dumped this for is still in delayed construction, and the lag is getting worse and worse as the blocks pile higher.

Pfft, maybe I should get my arse in gear and make that sex mod.  But much as I might desire writing an x-rated DnG, this thing is directed at a more "general public" than the modding forum.  Gore, but no sex please.

Guess I could just pull the shooter mod out and wipe the dust off.  After a few tweaks, it could make for a nice little bloodbath.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 16, 2009, 12:33:14 pm »

Chapter I
Promises

Nobuznagak.  I will never forget that name.

A chill breeze sweeps through the river reeds as I sit outside the small tavern and watch the sun go down over the horizon, painting the sky crimson with its masterful brushtrokes.  My body shivers slightly at the anticipation of painting my own similarly-colored masterpiece.

But my strokes shall be delivered with a warrior's utensil, not an artist's, and my canvas shall be not the lofty sky above but the cold stone of Nobuznagak's keep.  The fire of vengeance burns brightly inside me, and it has at times been the only warmth I find comfort in while traveling across this corrupt land.

My name was once Muzish Anaminob, a warrior-apprentice in the mountain halls of Arrugninur.  But that dwarf died many years ago.  I am now known as "Muzi", and I live only to put the flames to rest.

The battered and weary heart within my chest beats faster at the thought of claiming my revenge, but I am divided.  The cold reason of my mind warns against actions taken too hastily, while the fiery passion of my soul begs for the chance to burn my foes where they stand.

I stand with numerous choices ahead of me, and I know that my feet and my blade will dutifully follow me in whatever decision I make.  That knowledge, unsurprisingly, does not ease my uncertainty.  I will use the rest of the evening to consider my options, and by morning I will take whatever path lies most prominent in my mind.

To the North lie several caves which serve as hideouts to the various beasts and demihumans Nobuznagak employs to raid merchant caravans.  They likely do not know much, but they are by far less threatening opponents than Lord Nobuznagak's own forces.  This is a somewhat indirect path to my goal, and is likewise somewhat dangerous.  However, I will likely be able to dispatch most of the beasts with relative ease, and their share of stolen goods would be free for the taking.

To the East lie the human settlements, with all of the trappings of civilization.  I am promised corruption, deceit, turmoil, and powerful rewards should I seek my future there.  The humans do not interest me much, but honorable deeds improve the world as a whole, and the wealthy trading culture of the humans promises an impressive stock of equipment that I may make use of for my quest.  This is the least direct of my choices, but it will allow me to build up my strength in relative safety before confronting the black forces of Nobuznagak.

Far to the South lies the ruined town of Twistedflowers, a place ravaged by Nobuznagak's armies.  I may rest there while raiding the active war camps nearby.  Several of Nobuznagak's generals were involved in the destruction of Twistedflowers, and many of them are likely still in the area.  It will be treacherous, but questioning the generals may yield the location of Lord Nobuznagak's secret keep, and thus the end of my quest.  This is the most direct route to my goal, and also the most perilous.

A) Go North
B) Go East
C) Go South

Author's Note:
So, yeah.  Gonna give this thingy one more try.  Dwarven samurai this time, because I'm a bit out of practice and not really creative at the moment.  There was originally supposed to be an element of comedy due to the absurdity of a traditional Samurai quest being played out with dwarves and goblins, but I'm not sure how much of that I'm going to pull off.  With any luck, I'll be able to breathe enough life into this thing to last until I get my ass into gear and work on the Shooter mod to make things more interesting.

Cheers.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 16, 2009, 12:45:18 pm »

I remember reading this before making an account...

I vote go north to plunder the caves and sell their goodies to the humans of the east

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 16, 2009, 03:25:46 pm »

WOOT! We are back in action.

Head North. Kill slimy stuff.
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37