Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 37

Author Topic: Death and Glory!  (Read 58239 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Death and Glory!
« Reply #480 on: August 14, 2008, 02:22:28 pm »

Meh. Modbase. All mods for all versions. :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: August 14, 2008, 02:39:31 pm »

I don't really see how Modbase provides functionality for all versions, seeing as there are new tags getting added and old tags becoming obsolete.  And it only covers the mods that have been specifically added to it.  But it does cover all of those.  Every last one.

Ah, besides...  It's kinda nice going back to native DF.  MA+ was starting to get a bit overcomplicated.

Heh, if I really want a cha(lle)nge, I'll just start playing my shooter mod.  That one guarantees a short lifespan.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: August 14, 2008, 02:46:58 pm »

Well, unless the mod adds something that eventually becomes obsolete or requires a new tag to function, all the mods will function normally when the version changes. Because only changes are submitted, this works great.

I suppose proper mods will eventually make use of the referencing system to make them impervious to such changes, but that's theoretizing for now.

Anyways, like I said, if a darkelf assasin is impossible, go for a posessed swordskobold with an oversized sword.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: August 14, 2008, 03:56:59 pm »

As the new day warmed and I began to thaw along with the rest of my provisions, I decided to climb one of the minor peaks around here and take a look at my surroundings.  The new day's light provided me with a view I had not at all expected, and I am thankful that my head has shaken enough frost out of it to have considered checking my route.

The mountain wall is not at all what our scholars had suspected, and the craggy peaks carry on into the distance for as far to the north as my eye can determine.  My previous route would have lead me towards certain death, to be frozen solid in the vast expanse of rock.

To the northeast I can make out a sheltered nook of foothills which are to be my new destination.  Taking into account my previous measurements, I discover that having taken a direct route across the peak from my starting point, I would have been on a direct course for the foothills.

I eat some of the rations from my pack and set off in the new direction, bidding farewell to the endless expanse of rock that would have claimed a less observant soul.

Not long into my new course, the white saltscape gave way to a far less shocking brownstone. 

My rations are still holding out quite well, so I may just survive this trip after all.  That would be most pleasant.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 14, 2008, 04:38:14 pm »

By all the foul luck, I am impeded once again.  A great rift stretches before me, its bottom impossible to see.  I'll have to find some way around this crevasse in order to reach my goal, and who knows how long that could take.

To add to this, I am weary from the travel and night is falling.  I will need to find some shelter and bed down for the night.

It would appear the gods are merciful, or at least took some pity on my predicament.  I was able to find a small alcove in the crevasse wall with a ledge that I can easily pull myself up from.  It is here that I shall spend the night.  Or at least however much of it I can sleep through...

Damn my fool head and my snow-clouded eyes...  After waking from an entirely unhelpful doze, I set out into the freezing night once more to find my way around the rock cleft I was impeded by.

Not a hundred paces to the north did I find a way around.  I had settled myself in one of the feeble cracks trailing out from the end of this rift, attempting to build up the strength and determination needed to travel around it.

I don't suppose I could be held entirely to blame.  The lower reaches of this mountain range seem to be in a perpetual blizzard, something I was spared in its higher peaks.  I can barely see the ground I tread upon, which is a disturbing thought after encountering such a danger as that rift.

Thinking back on it, there was something rather unsettling about the way that crevasse ended...  It did not become so shallow towards the end that it no longer proved difficult, it simply...  Stopped.  I remember looking down and cursing myself for not seeing the path around, and I notice only now that the chasm was just as deep as at any other point along its length.  Peculiar indeed.

It seems my rations have frozen solid again.  I can only look mournfully at their glossy coat of ice as my stomach complains of hunger.  I seem to have plenty of these frost lumps, but their use is rather limited.  I will hopefully find better rations for my return trip.  Perhaps I can use these frozen chunks of meat to club some small animal to death and then eat that animal's meat...

What worries me is that the rations do not seem to be holding up well under the constant cycle of freezing and thawing.  It seems that each time a portion of the meat melts away with the ice, leaving a sizeable portion inedible.  After a time, my stores may simply vanish. 

Not a pleasant thought.

~~~~~~~Y~Y~~~~/|\~~~~Y~Y~~~~~~~

~~        ~~          _╒
                                                                                                          ~~            ☼  //  \\
                                                                                                         /\/\/\  /\  /^\ /\ //      \_\

Alrighty, time for another modification...  [NO_EAT].  I feel utterly justified in doing this, as Arkur's rations don't thaw.  The temperature (relative to me, at least) gets all the way up to "warm", but nothing will thaw.  I've just dumped the massive amount of frozen water in order to get some extra speed (didn't work, this guy's already strong enough to carry everything), since it serves absolutely no purpose.

Yes, I will be getting some very different rations for the return trip.  Man, I should've paid more attention to the mountain climbing thread...  I probably would've known all this non-thaw junk beforehand and prepared accordingly.

This guy's relatively clean, so I've run out of vomit coverings to eat.  Hence the new tag for humies.

Oh, and one more thing...  Apparently, sleeping has absolutely no effect on drowsiness.  What a pain.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: August 14, 2008, 04:58:07 pm »

By all the gods, I have done it.

My lungs feel fit to burst as I suck in the rain-filled air of the foothills, savoring both the exhaustion I feel and the earthy scent the raindrops pull from the soil.

The grass feels like a clouds beneath my feet after having trudged across the boulder-strewn gravelly landscape of the mountains.

But I cannot stop here for long.  In the north lie the settlements that I am to cleanse, and I shall exert myself in the fight equally as much as I have done in crossing the mountains.

At least now I know what I'm doing.  I unsheathe my sword, and hail the landscape before me. 

It welcomes me.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: August 16, 2008, 02:59:05 am »

I have made a base of operations.  The dwarves have hidden themselves from my eyes, if they are indeed here at all.  I have instead gone straight into my task, slaying the heathen scum who attack me with their hands bare and their mouths foaming.

The coastal hamlet of Deeplulled was first to fall, and I scoured every house for the heretical trinkets and filth these barbarians have.  It is this town that I shall use as a place of rest as I head deeper into the northlands.

I will give these barbarians one thing though...  They make some of the strongest ales I have ever encountered, and some of the warmest clothing.  I doubt that my return trip across the mountains will be half as difficult as the trip here...

Especially now that I actually know where I'm going.

Just a quick update here, since this guy cleaned out the town in good time.  He amassed thirty-nine kills of assorted civilians and guards.  He slew the weaponmaster in one hit.  The guards were comprised of a few pikemen, one swordsman, and a ton of bowmen and crossbowmen.

The worst injury he took was a bolt stuck in a broken hand.  And that's because I was standing three inches away from a bowman and waiting for him to shoot so I could try blocking the shot with my sword (it happened once while I was wandering around).  This guy still does not have a shield, and he managed to survive a town full of marksmen.  Including one hunter who had several pages worth of various animal trinkets to his name.  funny thing was, he knocked me over and then shot at me.  The shot went sailing over my head and thunked into a nearby building.

Then he passed out.

And something else happened when I was cleaning the town...  I mentioned a swordsman?  Well, guess what happened to him:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This dude is a monster.  And now he has a hat (one cap, three hoods), along with a bag full of blood and another bag full of vomit.  Y'know, weather-resistant rations and all that.

EDIT:  Jiminy, DnG is approaching the 2000 views mark.  I feel so proud of my cyuuute wittle baby...

My cute little baby, which happens to be a zombified elven summoner and Duke Nukem impersonating mischief-maker.  Ye gods, I have created a monster!

Anyways, I feel that I am really buggering myself mightily.  Not only am I working on my *secret project*, which is a full-time story dedication, but I just recently came up with another idea which would be a an amazingly epic full-time story dedication. 

My problem isn't that I can't come up with a good idea.  My problem is that I can't stop.

Anyways, cheers!  Happy anniversary, everybody.  I couldn't have done it without you.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 16, 2008, 02:34:27 pm »

*polite aplause*

I don't think that an elf-hammerer would be too out there. Maybe it had been snatched at an early age?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: August 16, 2008, 02:39:53 pm »

Unfortunately, elves don't have hammers.  I could generate a new world with a little modding done so they get them, but otherwise I'd have to steal a metal hammer and then train up from scratch.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 18, 2008, 04:43:48 pm »

Unfortunately, elves don't have hammers.  I could generate a new world with a little modding done so they get them, but otherwise I'd have to steal a metal hammer and then train up from scratch.

Thats even better. You know, i like this current guy. You already removed [NO_EAT] i presume?
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #490 on: August 27, 2008, 01:48:47 am »

Regarding sleep and drowsiness: on a mountain climbing expedition, I had a character walk through the night, because I didn't want to sleep while it was freezing.  After I let them sleep at dawn, they were still drowsy, so I let them get some more rest while it was still light.  Two periods of sleep later, they were refreshed and ready to move on at full speed.

No idea why it took two, but that seemed to do the trick.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 06, 2008, 09:09:20 am »

A cold land populated by wild and savage beasts.  I find my task of subduing these people inhibited by the great animals that wander the wilderness.  I wonder if it is because of these deadly creatures that the people have grown so savage and barbaric, as a means of survival...

Perhaps the goblins that have taken shelter underneath their brawny arms who have sneakily altered their perceptions.  It seems in character for such foul devilspawn as the goblins.

Or maybe I am merely trying to make excuses for a race of people who do not seek any excuse for their heretical behaviour.  I have no council of elders to determine my next quest, so I am forced to take matters into my own hands...  But I am uncertain, for I see numerous paths ahead of me. 

----------------------------

Votin' time again.
A)  Slay the heretics.  They have chosen their own fate.
B)  Cleanse the wilds.  Hard life will breed hard people.
C)  Destroy the goblins.  Scum can fester if it is deep inside a wound.

Note:   "Cleanse the Wilds" includes spelunking.

Astus Ater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: September 06, 2008, 01:45:34 pm »

A) Slay the heretics.

BURN THEM!
Legendary Liar:  "I just stabbed you and you died.  Sorry."
Victim:  "Well, if you say so." *thud*

DI7789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: September 06, 2008, 01:46:36 pm »

A. Burn the Heretics
Gone on hiatus due to RL. Major apologies to all involved in LP thread.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 06, 2008, 03:33:09 pm »

All generalizations are false....including this one.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 37