Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 37

Author Topic: Death and Glory!  (Read 58227 times)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Re: Death and Glory!
« Reply #495 on: September 06, 2008, 04:23:05 pm »

B) THEN A). Don't question the power of experience. And spelunking.  :P
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: September 06, 2008, 04:38:48 pm »

B they had it coming, with their prospering, and what not.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: September 08, 2008, 12:10:42 pm »

I have made my choice, my resolve has been reinforced.  I chide myself for not holding a steady hand in my extermination of the heretics, as they have no reason to not uphold the common decencies of civilized folk.

I make my way to the town of Raceglitter, a place where the northlanders have apparently decided to stave off the cold wind with warm ale and warmer women.  A bordello on the edge of town is my first goal.

Inside, the rowdy shouts of drunken men were met and measured by the shrill laughs of women who wore only the small trinkets and tattoos that decorated their cheap flesh.  The few customers on the lower levels were of little importance, and were forcibly removed from their sins in a matter of moments.

The commotion had awakened some of the customers upstairs, however.  Strong men began to stick their heads out of their rented rooms to see what had caused the sudden change in the sound from downstairs.  I made my way up the staircase to the second level, and cut off the head of the first barbarian in line before he could finish his cry of alarm.  The others quickly got back inside their rooms and began scrounging for the equipment they had removed in order to take warmth from their companions.

The first man to step out of his room must have had mixed parentage on a remarkable scale.  I could have sworn upon my blade that he was half bear. 

His massive frame was covered only partly by a rough chain shirt that he had tossed on to confront me.  A significant portion of his body was covered only by a mat of curly hair that looked dense enough to hide a dagger in.

I intended to hide a sword in it.

He bellowed at me in a grumbling roar of heretical words, and hefted a massive iron crossbow in his paw of a hand.  The first bolt was heavy and poorly shaped, and my blade was at the ready.  I deflected its deadly head away from me, and it clattered to the wooden floor a few steps behind.

But the second shot was too fast for me to prepare for.  A burning snake crawled up my arm and bit into my head as the bolt sank into my left elbow.  My stomach seemed to drop away as a wet popping sound came from the area of impact.

My arm fell limply to my side as the bear-man laughed heartily at my injury.  His joy was likely enhanced by whatever he had been drinking earlier in the day, and it was with thanks to whoever had brewed this man's drink that I moved forward.

I was slower than my usual, due to my inexperience in carrying such a massive blade with only one hand, but I was fast enough to fight a drunkard.  His revelry was cut short as I came at him, and his arm was cut shorter.  It flew into the air over the balcony, and began its descent to the lower floor just as its owner toppled to the side and followed it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He crashed through the protective railing and slammed into the floor below.  I leapt upon his prone form, steadying my blade in the crook of my arm.  It sank straight through his barbarian-made armor and forged a path straight to the hunter's massive heart. 

I cleared out the other patrons in short order, and made my way into the rest of town.  Alarms had begun to sound around the locality, and armed guards soon blocked my path.

But these were barbarians, not trained warriors.  Their brawn and bulk was all they had, and it was not enough to match my many years of training.  They fell like wheat before the farmer's scythe, lying at my feet in a penance they could not acheive in life.

More warriors challenged me, and more northlanders fell to feed the earth.  The streets were almost bare, so I began hunting down those who hid within their houses and shops, trying to fend off the inevitable by presenting a material barrier against spiritual justice.

I broke down the door to a weaponry shop, and surveyed the shop.  In the corner sat the shopkeeper, cradling something in his arms.  My mind cried out in an urgency I had rarely felt before in my life.  But my path had been chosen, and I could not take back the footfalls that had led me down it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"The search for tranquility takes a lifetime."
-- Unknown

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: September 09, 2008, 03:16:59 pm »

Ok, now you can play a guy from the 'barbarian' to start on a quest of revenge the other way around.

Would be quite poetic to prove to be the better man by being a merc for them instead of killin' all of them.

But only if you want to of course.

Good writing.  :D

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: September 12, 2008, 02:41:43 am »

Well, I'm afraid that's going to be it for a while.  I currently have some problems with getting stuff on the net, and I've been meaning to do some work on my other projects as well.  Death and Glory is now officially on hiatus until further notice.

Comments are welcome, of course.  But I already know that I should've just left town after getting that elbow popped, so you don't need to poke me about that.

Prometheus

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: September 12, 2008, 09:40:42 am »

500th post, bitches.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: September 12, 2008, 10:56:31 pm »

While this is 501th.

Let's renew the elf w/ warhammer discusion!

D and G, the only thread with internal necromancy!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Prometheus

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: September 13, 2008, 01:49:51 am »

That was a bump, not necromancy. Kagus posted himself yesterday :P

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: September 13, 2008, 01:52:06 am »

While this is 501th.

Let's renew the elf w/ warhammer discusion!

D and G, the only thread with internal necromancy!

Nist Akath.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: September 25, 2008, 12:51:47 pm »

This thread is kinda near 'n' dear to me, seeing as it's the one I'm most known for.  I'd kinda like to see the tradition kept up, rather than just gather dust at the back of the forum archive because I don't have as much time to devote to it as I did before.

So, I'd like to appoint someone else as a new host.  Just follow the rules of DnG as illustrated below:

• All adventurers must either be agreed to or suggested by the thread readers.
  • The adventurer's major decisions must be voted upon by the thread readers.
  • The adventurer's (short) life must be told in as much gory and humorous detail as possible.
  • The adventurer must not be enhanced, improved, or altered by any third party utility.
  • Any and all of the above rules are subject to negation should something really cool require it.

Send me a PM or post a public application here in the thread, and hopefully we'll be able to get this thing going again.

Now hop to attention, these adventurer's aren't going to kill themselves (well, maybe they will, but they won't write about it).

EDIT:  Nobody?  Well, suit yourselves.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 02, 2008, 03:53:17 am »

THIS IS GLORY!!

Someone should take up Kagus' mantle. Like, now.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 26, 2008, 02:28:40 am »

I feel ashamed at you people. Not one person is willing to take up Kagus' mantle? We are the forumgoers of Bay12Games, and such a request by a man who has been both a leader and a guiding hand in the life of this forum should not be so lightly ignored.

Tell me now, members of the forums, do you want to see a legend such as this die out with hardly a whimper?

If not, tell me what type of adventurer you want to hear of next.

(Yes, I'm offering to take over for Kagus, if you haven't already figured that out)

Suggestions:

1. Dwarven Avenger
2. The Assassin
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 05:28:18 pm by Jamini »
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 26, 2008, 12:28:52 pm »

It seems obvious that it should start with a lone dwarf trying to avenge the slaughter of his people by the Intricate Nut.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 26, 2008, 02:43:12 pm »

A human assassin.  If someone sees you fighting besides the person you're killing, you have to run away, doesn't matter if you could take them on or not.

Another possible rule is if you can't kill your target within two hits, they get to live another day (unless they bleed to death).

Training beforehand is allowed and suggested.

Final goal: assassinate a demon.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 29, 2008, 10:22:51 am »

We've got two community-suggested options, I'll leave this open for one more day before it'll be put to a vote.

If you want to vote early I will still count it in the final tally.
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 37