Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 37

Author Topic: Death and Glory!  (Read 58251 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Death and Glory!
« Reply #375 on: May 17, 2008, 11:16:00 am »

So it crashes again huh...

Alrighty then, I'll continue "searching for a black cat in a dark room"...

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 17, 2008, 02:11:00 pm »

Well considering that it is gonna take a while,what are we gonna do to make sure the thing doesn't seep down?

Still say socks are a good bumper topic...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 18, 2008, 01:34:00 am »

Gee, I don't know.

I can't speak for everyone, but I myself don't have anything near the creativity or writing prowess of Kagus, so we probably can't have another adventurer "in the meantime"...

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 18, 2008, 03:58:00 am »

I just need a few more strangled throats and broken ankles before this guy has a passable wrestling skill.  Since he won't be using much in the way of armor, he's gonna need all the reflexes he can get.

Wrestling is the only skill he really needs now, so things shouldn't take that long.  The only real delay comes from the occasional crash, which always seems to come long after the last save...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 18, 2008, 01:55:00 pm »

The tall man sat in a chair with his feet propped up on the table in front of him.  While he sat there, with his bored expression and high metal boots -the only armor he apparently wore-, he toyed with a small hand crossbow that was almost certainly the work of dark elves.

The mayor continued pacing nervously.  He started talking while he paced, his comments directed at the sitting man.

"I'm very glad that you've offered your help, very glad indeed.  You see, I'm speaking for the Society of Church, a very prominent organization in these parts, and we've had trouble as of late."

The man continued to wind up and fire the empty hand crossbow, hardly seeming to notice the mayor at all.

"There's this giant, you understand, who has been raiding the chapels set up in the more rural areas of the county.

"He calls himself Mudung Rublanguished, and he has taken up residence in a cave a short distance to the north.  The locals call the cave 'the Helmed Abysses'.  I cannot fathom why..."

The mayor continued pacing, and the man continued winding the crossbow and pulling the trigger.

"Look...  The guards are busy with the upcoming faire, and the count hung up his armor years ago.  You're our only ho-eeEAAGH!"

The crossbow wasn't empty that time.  The mayor stood as stiff as a board, quivering in a fashion similar to the wickedly barbed dart sticking out of the ground right where the mayor was about to put his foot.

"Stop that damned pacing before my head gets strung too tightly and explodes."

The man stood up, his steel boots knocking the wood loudly as they touched the floor.  He raised himself up to his impressive height, and walked over to stand in front of the mayor.  

The mayor stood frozen, still quivering, waiting to feel a bolt sinking into his soft skin.  

"Alright.  I'll do it."

The man walked out of the meeting hall, leaving the mayor still stunned by the recent turn of events.  After a few moments had passed and the mayor had reassured himself that the man was not coming back in to kill him as an afterthought, he let out the deep breath he had been holding, causing his frame to deflate comically.  

"Well, that went smoothly."  He said to himself, and walked outside to find Gren, the innkeeper.  He needed a drink, and after that he would go and pray to Esmin Zenithdrove, thanking him for providing the courage to deal with that mercenary.

At the north gate, Baron Ballista'em, clad in his favorite shirt and boots, walked out to deal with the giant, Dungmud or whatever it was called.  He really didn't care what it called itself, and neither would it once it was dead.

The Baron neared the cave, and thought about just how messy reclaiming an empire could get at times.  The "cave", as the mayor had called it, was a sinkhole in the wet silty clay of the landscape.  The Baron's boots squelched with great smacking pops as he trudged through the clay and dropped himself into the hole, trying not to get silt on his new shirt.   It was a futile effort, of course.

He made his way through the cave for a short distance, and he was just about to curse the mayor when he heard a rumbling from farther down the tunnel he was in.

"I AM MUDUNG THE MIGHTY, SLAYER OF HUMANS!  COWER BEFORE MY MIGHT, PUNY ONE!"

Baron Ballista'em cocked his bigger crossbow.  Bigger enemy, bigger crossbow.  Good reasoning.

He was just putting a bolt into the slot when the cave walls trembled, and Mudung began charging down the corridor.  Without so much as blinking, the Baron brought the crossbow up and fired straight into the giant's lower arm.
The giant bellowed, and the steelhead bolt pumped up and down as the giant flexed his impressive musculature.

Seeing that the creature was too close to get another shot off, Ballista'em instead threw his crossbow at the giant and then leapt at the great beast.

They wrestled with each other for some time, neither one doing much damage to the other.  Mudung yelled at the Baron in his anger;

"Stop dancing around, pixie!  I want to pop you eyes between my fingers!"

To which the Baron calmly replied,
"I'm gonna hurt you so bad you'll wish I'd never been born."

And they continued to throw punches at each other and swing kicks that didn't connect with anything.  The giant finally roared with anger and charged with a full-on charge with his head lowered and his feet stamping the ground as he ran.  The Baron stepped aside and allowed he creature to run head-first into the cave wall.

There was a loud *THUMP*, and small chunks of clay dropped down from the roof of the tunnel as the giant collided.  Stunned, the giant staggered for a few moments and fell onto his back, panting heavily and trying to clear the bursts of light from his vision.

This provided the Baron with more than enough time to pull out the smaller hand crossbow and load a bolt.  He aimed at the creature, and sank a darkelf-made bolt of tearing into the giant's stomach.

The giant started to scream, but was cut off by a gurgle as a mixture of vomit and blood coughed its way up his throat.  Ballista'em loaded and fired another bolt, this one into the beast's arm.

Gasping, gurgling, and now with an arm lying with the skin flayed open and the muscles underneath displayed for open viewing, the giant was in no position to defend itself as the Baron stepped behind the creature, lifted its massive head up with a grunt of exertion, and then swing his full body behind snapping the giant's neck.

The satisfying crackle of shredded vertebrae marking the completion of the Baron's task.  With another grunt, the Baron pulled off the creature's head as proof  of the deed, and then set about picking his stuff up from around the cave.

With the collection part of the job done, it was time for the delivery.  And after that, it was payday.  As soon as he got that paycheck he could move on to the next town down the line...  Something that he wanted very, very much.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 18, 2008, 02:37:00 pm »

So this guy uses crossbows...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 18, 2008, 04:01:00 pm »

Dude.  Giant arbalests shooting steel harpoons.  He's not called "Baron Balista'em" for no reason.

He's got the arbalest now...   He just doesn't have any harpoons for it.  And you can't buy ammo.  And only humans use arbalests.  And I kept generating worlds until I found one with more than one human civilization.

You work out the details, I'm going to bed.  It's 2:30 AM.

This guy needs more taunts...  I already used up the "I'll make you wish I'd never been born", and this whole character is based around taunts.  Better sleep on it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: May 18, 2008, 04:45:00 pm »

So he's a mortal enemy of one human civ, while doing rounds as a mercenary for the other?

Kagus, you do realize you could have started a human fort and just supply the guy with ammo for the next 10 years? To make absolutely sure nothing's lost, start the "fort" right next to a city, and make the area really small. Then trade all initial booze and half the axes and picks for copper, zinc, and tin, 7-2-1 ratio (I presume you do use the minerals mod) and make bundles of masterwork red brass harpoons until you're bored. Red brass is as good as iron. If you don't have MM, you'll have to settle for bronze.

Anyways, an interesting character this one is. "Shoot first, roundhouse kick second, ask questions later". Though actually, he'd be better off with a hammer skill - an arbalest is a surprisingly good melee weapon.
I suggest he carry a ballista bolt as a good luck charm.  :)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 19, 2008, 06:22:00 am »

Hadn't occured to me to start a fortress...  Hmph.

In any case, this way means more bloodshed.  And although I considered training up the hammer skill a bit more, I figured punching stuff would be more thematic.  And yes, I'm using the minderals mod, since unless you've changed things from last time the MA+ mod can't function without it.  Patterned steel, by the way, is rather powerful considering how much of it is going around.  Can be quite fun.

Oh, and this guy had two hand crossbows, but the newer one was better.  Did I mention that both of them came from darkelf elite marksmen?  

Heh heh...  You should've seen this guy fighting the giant.  When he did get lucky and landed a hit, it wouldn't do anything.  The giant never got a hit in, however, and the two of them kept dodging up and down the tunnel.  Eventually the giant just keeled over from over-exertion.  My guy hadn't even gotten tired yet.  Superhuman toughness is fun...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 21, 2008, 03:35:00 am »

Kagus, are you just waiting again, or are there some kind of options as to what the character will do next?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 21, 2008, 01:08:00 pm »

No, I was on a plane for 37 hours.  And now I need to move all the information from the laptop I've been working on to my main rig before I can keep going.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 21, 2008, 02:10:00 pm »

Ah, the "India fortress" event? Alright then, take your time.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 25, 2008, 12:34:00 pm »

Okay, this is going slower than expected...

In other words, I haven't gotten around to transferring the data yet.  I'm (trying to get myself) practicing guitar from breakfast to 8:00 PM, so even after transferring the files I won't have a whole lot of time to work on stuff.  I've also got an appointment of sorts set up for this evening, where someone is going to show me the ropes for playing effectively in this one HL2 mod I've been playing.

I'll see what I can do...  Hopefully there won't be too much time passed before the next update.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: May 30, 2008, 12:57:00 am »

Bumpity-bump.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 30, 2008, 02:01:00 am »

Why you twit, I was just about to update...  You ruined my awesome re-entry.

Now, where were we...

"What do you mean 'no longer in office'?!?"

The Baron was standing to the fullest of his rather impressive height in front of the woman who was wearing the symbols of office the previous mayor had been wearing not long ago.

"That old man was no longer fit for office.  The people needed a new leader, and they chose me.  I humbly accepted the offer of responsibility of-"

"Where's my reward for killing this thing?"
The Baron nudged the leering giant's head as it sat on the floor between them.  It gave a peculiar squelch at the touch of his hard boot.

"I'm sorry, but you were tasked with slaying that 'thing' by the previous mayor.  I have no reason to pay you for any tasks he may have given you."

"So can I get my money from him?  Where is he?"

"Nithros Ilpiuse lost all his possessions when his house burned down in 1043.  His election to the mayoral office provided him with a home.  Now that he is no longer the mayor, he's back on the street."
"The mayor's a bum?  I'm guessing he doesn't have a rich uncle hidden somewhere..."
"He died last year.  Goblins."

"And the will?"

"He left everything to his lover."

"The lover?"

In response, the woman pointed at the head lying between them, its tongue lolling out from between yellowed teeth that bore hideous black splotches at random intervals.

The Baron looked down at the head, grumbled something along the lines of "Aw, shit...", and then punted the head across the room, its tongue still flapping out of the mouth as it bounced off of tables and chairs in its journey across the tavern. He looked back up at the woman and said
"I was gone for two days!  You mean to tell me that you people held an election while I was gone?  What, were you waiting for me to pass out of sight before you brought out the goddamn podiums?  Geez..."

"Well...  You do seem to have a reasonable amount of competence, what with the way you dealt with that beast.  I have no need of you, what with the giant's death-"

"Which you're not gonna pay me for."

"-but I do have a most helpful acquaintance in a small town to the South.  Perhaps he might have some possible employment for you?"

"They're not going to be holding any surprise elections down there?"

"He entered his term just recently.  Just after I entered office here, in fact.  What a coincidence."

"I'm sure.  Alright, I'll go talk to him."
The newly-elected mayor told Ballista'em where the village was, and where he could expect to find her acquaintance.  She started to tell him the directions to get there in the fastest time, but he had already started walking towards the door and there was little point trying to shout them to him.  He'd find it eventually.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 37