Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 37

Author Topic: Death and Glory!  (Read 58250 times)

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Death and Glory!
« Reply #360 on: May 12, 2008, 03:57:00 pm »

Agreed bug the elves!
Make sure they're covered in bug guts!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 14, 2008, 03:37:00 pm »

I do say this topic cannot be pushed off to the second page, it's too good to die young!

Kagus, do something with Blackwood and get back here! We need more of Glib's adventures! Or someone else's...

Right now you can go, uh, bug the elves. Just remember that when you can throw a bug at an archer, he can do much worse!

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 14, 2008, 09:29:00 pm »

Yeah The sudden influx of stories and community games are pushing awesomeness down quickly,KEEP IT ALIVE EVERYONE!!!

[ May 14, 2008: Message edited by: SHAD0Wdump ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 14, 2008, 11:34:00 pm »

Okay...  I guess I'm just going to have to get used to making an update the instant a vote majority appears.  Apparently, waiting for a larger number of voters is not appreciated...

Glib approached the grove warily, keeping his ears pricked and his eyes darting around at the nearby terrain.

Naturally, in such a state of concentrated observance, he was utterly oblivious to the kentaur until he was only sixty or so feet away.  Glib froze in his tracks, but the kentaur was facing the other way, leaning against a tree and observing the frolicking farther in.

Glib crept up silently behind the kentaur with the intent of tying something foul into the creature's tail hair, but then had a better idea.

The coming of winter had dried the local trees as they sucked themselves down into their roots to wait out the cold.  The branches of the tree the kentaur was leaning against were almost brittle for lack of moisture.

Glib made his way around slowly, and squatted down close to the tree.  With his claws, a good rock, and a little bit of kobold mischief, Glib soon had a rather pleasant flame lighting its way around the tree's bark.

The kentaur remained leaning against the tree, utterly absorbed in the festival bonfire in front of him rather than the festive bunfire behind him.

The flame soon spread, and the kentaur's tail was soon on fire.  Then his rear loincloth.  Then his shirt.  Finally, the kentaur was aware of the unusual heat and looked around at the flames wreathing his body.

With a whinny of surprise and belated pain, the kentaur leapt away from the tree and began chargin through the rest of the grove, causing widespread chaos in his wake as other kentaurs panicked at the sight of the newly-immolated version of their race.

Glib cackled with glee, and then clamped his hands over his mouth to stop the sound.  There was no one to hear him however, as the other kentaurs were still to preoccupied with attempting to put out the flames or simply get away from them.

Glib was about to turn around and go on his way when he noticed something else.  Several of the kentaurs that had dashed away from the flaming effigy that was their kinsman were huddled around or hiding behind trees.  Dry, winter-season trees.

Glib grinned.

Utter, blinding, bewildering chaos.  The honed intelligence of the kentauri minds was overshadowed by their base instincts as fires started appearing for no apparent reason.  More and more of the kentauri were running around with their manes on fire, flailing arms wildly as though they could shoo away the flames riding on their backs.

Several jumped in the lakes, others attempted to roll their oddly-shaped bodies in dirt or wet grass, the rest simply ran around in the hopes that someone would put them out.

Glib dashed around the glowing grove with the white gleam of his teeth showing in an almost perpetual grin.  He ran around, picking up whatever interesting items the kentaurs dropped in their current confused state and putting it all into his new sack.

Eventually, the heat and smoke from the flames made his throat rather parched, so he wandered off to find a river to drink from.  Behind him, the whoops and yowls of the kentaur grove continued as they hastily beat each others' flames off their backs.

I would just like to point out that this grove is named "Canyonmurdered", the first kentaur was named "Goto Fruityseers", and the tree he was leaning against was named "The Color of Peaches".  Also, Glib found an iron spear.  It was dropped by a human guard.  What a human guard was doing out there, I have no idea.  I guess he was just tired of the city life and wanted to get away from it all.  I suppose that constitutes an idea as to what happened, so I can't really say that I have no idea.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 15, 2008, 06:32:00 am »

Waiting isn't exactly "not appreciated", but such as it is, few people seem to post. I suggest you have a certain fixed wait time, after which you use whatever vote majority there is. This will keep you in the right spirit for the adventure (as in, you won't forget where you last were) and keep the thread going. I'll be sure to post here from time to time.  ;)

Also, I sense a problem within this one. Glib is surely a fun character, but the options we can have for him are rather limited. We're used to "Trog bash!" and probably can't think up any decent activities for someone who's only seeking opportunity for mischief. It would've never occured to me that you can make this kind of fun of sleeping kentaurs (though I suspect you made half of it up), for example.

For now, I think Glib might tackle a more materialistic problem. Go on a shiny-collecting rampage through the nearest dark fort.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 15, 2008, 06:39:00 am »

Actually, the latest post contained the least amount of fabricated content of the story.  I just left out all the charred flesh and burning corpses, since I didn't feel it was very fitting.  The place was a smoking wreck when I left.

And I'm aware that Glib may not have a very clear future ahead of him...  However, I've got a rather unusual destination planned for him.  I'll do a couple more updates, and then drop him off in a completely unexpected fashion before starting in on another adventurer that I've been brewing for a bit, and who's been itching to get his gore fix.

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 15, 2008, 09:35:00 am »

Awww, and I was just getting to like Glib!

He reminds me of a chap I knew once by the name of Glyn... though slightly more destructive...

Kudos for the kentaur pyromania episode. That was funny. I must try it myself with a sneaky character.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 15, 2008, 07:22:00 pm »

HAHA,this guy is awesome,he throws bugs,steals crap,lines the walls with meat,and he is a freaking pyromaniac!I was right,he is the best character in the series yet!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 16, 2008, 02:49:00 am »

Glib went to the North, where he came across another small town that was ripe for his trickery.

Glib, now well-accustomed to the human settlements, was able to sneak around easily as he tied the hair of sleeping children to fenceposts, stuffed beetles inside of pies cooling on windowsills, carved a hole in the bottom of the well bucket, and generally caused widespread annoyance.

He had contented himself with teasing the outer reaches of the town, fearing the more heavily-patrolled inner sections, but he was incapable of holding to this resolution for long.

He crept inside a general equipment store, and found two more sacks lying on the orderly counters!  Glib could hardly believe his luck, and he quickly strapped them on.  He now had an unusually lumpy profile, since the three bags (complete with hanging rings, spikes, and various other decorations) piled on top of each other.  He also now made a rather peculiar *fwumf* *fwumf* *fwumf* sound as the bags lifted up and fell into each other again with his gait.

None of this bothered Glib, or even entered his mind.  He now had three sacks, which was three more than anyone else from his cave, and he quickly began to make use of this fact by cramming various bugs inside them for safe keeping.

Inspired, he proudly trotted outside and opened the door to one of the smaller houses, intent on snatching a bite to eat.

The man turned away from the conversation he had been having with his wife and looked towards the door.  Glib had left out one very important aspect of his plan to go inside the house for some food, and that was the fact that there might actually be someone inside.

Glib turned and ran, still surprisingly fast even with his unwieldy burden.  The man from inside the house chased after him, apparently filled with visions of glory for saving his town from the, eh, "dangerous beast".

He was in for more than he had expected.  Glib skittered away from him, reaching into his pack and tossing bugs and the man.  Most simply bounced off, but some clung on and bit the man in several painful areas.  Glib realized that there was no way the human could ever catch up to him, so he slowed his pace a little and continued throwing bugs at his would-be slayer.  The man had begun a comical dance of sorts, as he was attempting to shake off or otherwise remove the bugs while still pursuing Glib.  Glib danced in return, mimicking the man's movements with experienced mockery.

Glib paraded his way around a tree and the man danced after him, hopping from foot to foot as the beetles and carapace-worms crawled into uncomfortable crevices on his body.  Glib took on the prancing walk of a child dancing around a maypole, leading the ever more furious human behind him.  He then split off from the tree, causing the man to stumble slightly at the abrupt change in course, and led him around yet another tree.

A man should never attempt to run, hop on one leg, reach behind him to pluck a giant tick off his back, and swear at the same time.  The brain simply cannot handle so many tasks at once.  He tripped.

Glib pranced over to kick the man in his shins, but before he could do so another human hand reached out and grabbed Glib's wrist, twisting viciously.  Glib howled with pain and flipped onto the human in an attempt to loosen the grip.  Not expected a kobold to jump upside-down onto her face, the woman faltered and let go long enough for Glib to get his now-crooked hand back from her and dash away.  Glib didn't particularly like getting hurt, and decided to show this human just who was the hurter-person around here.

He ran off, trailing the woman behind him as he went, and then pulled out a large beetle with a shiny pitch-black shell that had bright yellow patterns along its back.  Glib had plucked this particular beetle up some time ago, and had carried it with him should he ever need its help.  He took a glance over his shoulder as he ran, and then sped up a little as to gain some distance.  

After he felt there was enough room, Glib stopped abruptly and turned around on his foot, raising his still-good left hand behind him with the beetle clutched in it, its dagger-like proboscis searching the air.

Glib hurled the moon beetle, scourge of worlds, at the approaching human.  The beetle hit legs first, and sank the small claws of its feet into the woman's dress.  The proboscis stiffened, and then with a powerful thrust sank through the cloth and into the woman's chest.  She gave a small shriek as she felt the pain, but it trailed off almost lazily as she dropped to the ground.  The moon beetle's poison, having hit such an important circulatory area, had taken immediate effect.  The woman was now completely unconscious.

Glib walked over and took out the shiny arrow he had acquired from the archer in that town so long ago.  With his teeth bared now in a threatening glare rather than an impish grin, he plunged the arrow downward with his left hand.

Glib yanked and pulled at the arrow to get it free, opening up the wound even more.  He started to get a little scared, as there was a massive amount of blood coming out from the woman's neck and it only seemed to get worse as he tried to retrieve his prized arrow.  He heard the clanking of guards nearby, and gave one last mighty tug on the arrow.  He got it out, but the woman's neck was now a bleeding mass, and there looked to be no hope for her recovery.  As the flow started to slow down, Glib ran out into the woods.  He could never go back to that village again, and would need to find new places to work his mischief.  Pranks and harmful trickeries were one thing, but Glib was now a murderer, and people would go to great lengths to stop a murderer.  

Glib had started to get bored with the area anyway.  Time for someplace a little less...  Dangerous.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 16, 2008, 04:23:00 am »

Far to the South he travelled, wandering through the thickly wooded forests.  He had never actually intended to kill the woman, at least he didn't think so, but that's the way that things had turned out for him.  

He brooded on how likely it was that more people would have to die in order for someone to conquer the world...  To attempt such a thing would most likely put you in conflict with many different people, and conflict often led to someone's death.

He was thinking about the moral ramifications of total domination when he heard a deep and rumbling sound to his left.  Glib looked up and went momentarily bug-eyed as he stared up at the heavily muscled torso of the kentaur, wearing on its upper body only the shining bow that was carried in the standard archer's fashion.

The kentaur cleared his throat again and spoke to Glibitikusree.

"Kobold, you are not welcome here.  I would see you dead on the ground but I am honor-bound to offer you your life.  However, I cannot allow you to leave with your ill-gotten goods.  Hand over the rucksacks."

Glib could understand the kentaur's speech, as it was deemed prudent by certain kobolds to learn the language of the wild beasts in the event they got into just such a situation.  However, Glib could not reproduce the sounds, and so started babbling his protest in his native tongue.  Before he could blurt out much, the kentaur raised a hand to stop him.

"I will hear nothing against this from you.  You will either let your taint be scoured from the forests or you will give up your stolen goods that we may return them to their rightful owners."

Glib clapped his mouth shut and stared at the kentaur, thinking things over.  Finally, he narrowed his eyes and spoke a single word.  

"GLIBITIKUSREE!"

He charged off, running as fast as he had ever run before in his life.  The kentaur behind him started after him, taking the bow off his back and calling out a warcry into the woods.

From all around him, Glib could see more and more kentaurs joining in the pursuit.  He scrambled, dodged, jumped and skittered to avoid them as they attempted to capture him.  Pausing in his gallop for just a moment, the kentaur shot an arrow at Glib, plunging deep into Glib's left arm.  Glib yelped but didn't slow down, couldn't slow down.  He was no longer in control of his own movements, his instincts had taken over and were propelling his small frame at speeds that not even the kentaurs could fully match.

More kentaurs began coming out of the trees to join in the hunt, and Glibitikusree ran in zig-zags to keep them away from him.  He was far faster and agile than most of them could manage, but the big archer was stronger than any of the rest.  Glib could hear him pounding away at the ground behind him, so dangerously close he could swear he felt the kentaur's hot breath on his back.  Glib ran around trees and through bushes, ran as fast as he could but the kentaur never fell far behind.

Glib took a weaving course through the trees and managed to get some time, as no matter how fast the big kentaur was, Glib was always going to be able to fit into smaller places.  However, it was not enough time or enough distance for Glib to consider himself safe, as he could always glance over his shoulder and see him charging around another tree or jumping over a log.

Glib noticed that the trees were getting thinner, and before he could think through what that meant in his panicked mind the ground dropped away.  Glib barely managed to skid to a stop before going over the edge of the cliff, and he sent a small amount of dirt out into the air in his place.  At first, Glib could only stand there in consideration of how close he had come to simply falling off, when thunderous galloping behind him woke him up.

He turned around and saw him, the big kentaur, closing in.  There was a look of sheer triumph on the kentaur's face as he slowed down somewhat, savoring the moment before the kill.

Glib looked at that smirking face, that look of complete assurance.  That conqueror's smile.

Glib's face softened from the panicked look it had adopted during the chase, and fell into a visage of grim acceptance.  That conqueror's smile had told him what the next step would be, the next strand to be plucked in fate's web.

The kentaur closed in on him, and he tensed his arms in anticipation of wringing the kobolds neck.  

Glib pulled his lips back in a pointed smile, his amber eyes showing a look of both victory and regret.  The kentaur was puzzled and then looked on in dawning rage as he realized the kobold's plan an instant before it was enacted.

Glibitikusree stepped backwards, his mouth opening not in a scream, but a chittering laugh as he watched the kentaur's face contort with frustration.  Glib looked upwards at that leering face as he plummeted backwards down the cliff face.

With a great crash that sent brambles flying in all directions, Glibitikusree slammed into the ground below.  There was a sickeningly wet crunch when he hit, and he felt fluids pooling up around him as he lay on the ground, still staring up at the kentaur above.

_____~*~_____

After a few moments, Glib realized that although he was certainly hurting, it wasn't as bad as one might expect from having taking a fall from such a great height.  He tested his limbs experimentally.  Everything worked, with the tolerable exception of his left arm with still had the arrow wedged in it.

Glib rocked himself forward, and pushed himself off the ground.  A great oozing, smacking sound came from behind him and he saw a veritable pool of yellowish goo where he had landed.  It took him a few moments to understand what had happened, but when it did his eyes lit up with joy and he began prancing around with glee.

The sacks.  The sacks that he had been stuffing full of beetles and worms and centipedes and random articles of clothing, the sacks that he had been asked to give up.  They were so full of padding from the clothes and the insect hordes that they had cushioned his fall.

Glib shouted in irrepressible happiness as he danced around at the bottom of the cliff, the bags still soggy with bug-guts slapping around him as he went.

He turned around and barked laughter up at the kentaur at the top, and began to make every offensive gesture he knew at the thing.

The kentaur pulled the bow from his back and began to take aim but Glib had already dashed off, a distant shape prancing along in the distance.  The kentaur put down his bow and swore mightily, looking out at that dancing speck as it bounced farther and farther away from him.

[ May 16, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 16, 2008, 04:35:00 am »

_---Epilogue---_

Glibitikusree went West this time, making his way into the mountains.  He had heard of a mighty mountain hall dug into the rock itself.  Glib eventually found it, and approached the dwarves who were busy hauling rocks out of the new shafts.  There was the standard reaction of fear and distrust, but one dwarf, dressed in purple, greeted Glib in his native tongue.  With some negotiation, Glib requested a meeting with the hall's leader and told him of his travels, using the scholar as a translator.

And so, after much discussion, Glibitikusree became the first kobold to join the mountain fortress of Uzollakish, and his incredible agility earned him work enough to afford a comfortable house and the respect of the local dwarves.  Glibitikusree would spend the evenings, what evening there were underground, sitting in his soft, warm chair and thinking about the time he had spent conquering the world.  His prized sack, the first one he ever stole, hung from the wall where he displayed remnants from his adventuring days.  

He still hadn't cleaned the bug guts off of it.

~-The End-~

And so ends the tale of Glibitikusree, at least for now.   A new figure is emerging from the mists and is ready to strike out into the world, for the gaining of glory and the mocking of death.

EDIT:  Oh yeah, should I update to the new version of the MA+ mod for the next dude?  That'd leave out the possibility for Glib to make another appearance, but a lot of issues will be fixed and there are some fun new things to kill stuff with (and get killed by).

[ May 16, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 16, 2008, 03:33:00 pm »

Definitely make sure you still have glib on that harddrive,I'd be a shame to lose him.

It is your call.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 17, 2008, 01:16:00 am »

I'm a little bit stumped right now.  I thought the next adventurer was a clear choice, but I just recently got a wonderful opportunity I hadn't seen before...  So now we've got two choices, and I'm having the darnedest time picking between the two.  

I think I'll just have to go with the first one, however.  The second choice would almost require a particular tweak to be made, and I don't know how to make that particular tweak...  So, I'll send a PM to Cap'n Mayday about it and start with the first dude in the meantime.

I'll be doing it in the new version.  Glib, and his version, will be stashed away somewhere.  Your patience is appreciated at this point, because this dude's gonna take a little while to buff up to a survivable level.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 17, 2008, 10:16:00 am »

Test the Mod Base while you're at it. Should be a breeze, but you never know...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 17, 2008, 10:26:00 am »

The mod's already installed, what would I use it for?  Naw, I'm gonna try and keep your mod from crashing after several training enemies worth of skill since the last save.

It was another ambush crash...  Speaking of which, I got ambushed by a giant red-back spider before, and as son as I saw it the game informed me "You have spotted a giant red-back spider!".  I'm assuming it has something to do with one of the unique tags brought along from the GCS profile.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 37