Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 37

Author Topic: Death and Glory!  (Read 58254 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Death and Glory!
« Reply #345 on: May 08, 2008, 02:14:00 pm »

First thing that came to mind was Gary Larson, but I couldn't remember any of his cartoons having that particular quote.  Other than that, I'm stumped.

Hmm...  Blackwood isn't moving along as well as I'd hoped, both from a writing perspective and the responses (or, rather, the lack thereof).  Glib, on the other hand, is doing just fine.  He's actually remarkably good at avoiding danger, and I've been trying to train up his throwing arm a bit so his signature missiles can actually do a bit of damage.  A few levels of strength would be nice, but the only thing that changes is his agility...

He's just getting better and better at running away.  That's actually not a good thing, since he can outpace anything that would chase after him in an interesting fashion.  I'll have to see what I can cook up for him tomorrow...

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 08, 2008, 02:27:00 pm »

Don't worry about lack of responses too much,we may well be just watching... waiting...

Thats what I'm doing.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 08, 2008, 04:45:00 pm »

Kagus, if your adventurer ever has a deathwish, make him infiltrate a dark outcast cave.

I don't think even a party of 7 legendary battledwarves could take them on. They would have a chance in the new version, because I removed the webbing abilities. Even now, you'd have a hundred spider-legged poison-biting steel-using elf-faced freaks charging at you the moment you near their cave...

(And the quote's from a movie, not a cartoon. A 1990 movie, to be exact.)
(Hmm, it seems I was wrong. The quote's actually "Stampede! Stampede, Earl! Get out of the way, get out of the way!". I had to listen through russian dubbing though, so no wonder I got it wrong.  :))

[ May 08, 2008: Message edited by: Sean Mirrsen ]

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 08, 2008, 07:46:00 pm »

Don't worry I'm still here.  Just quietly listening.

You could always bump all the wildlife's speed up a few notches to make running away harder.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 09, 2008, 03:54:00 am »

Glib traveled North, even if he wasn't aware of that.  For weeks he wandered around randomly, driven by his intense curiosity, his quest for world domination (whatever that meant), and his short attention span.

He eventually happened upon a small coastal town called Aspaura, and the as he approached it the lively sounds of the townsfolk slowed his pace and made him duck into the shrubbery.

He sat in some bushes at the outskirts of town, occasionally picking up a bug that happened to be crawling by, and watcing the citizens going about their business.

This simple observance, however, simply would not suffice.  The sneaky grin spread across Glib's face once again and he began stalking his way into the village, making sure to stay out of sight.

He noticed a human carrying something large -and thus innately interesting- into a building that was larger than the surrounding human-burrows.

Glib waited a few moments, and the human came back out again, this time without carrying anything.  Using his kobold powers of deductive reasoning, Glib suspected that the human must have left the large -and thus innately interesting- object inside the building!

After looking around to see if anyone was watching, Glib crept over to the door and let himself in.  What he saw inside made his already-rapid heartrate flutter.  There were tables upon tables of stuff lining the walls.  There was red stuff and brown stuff and green stuff and flowing stuff and scrunchy stuff and lots of other stuff, and all of it was just sitting there!

Glib could scarcely believe his eyes, and he started rolling around in the merchant's wares, delighting in the pure joy that only comes from rolling around in someone else's loot pile.  At least for kobolds.

He would have kept this up for some time, had not a particular item caught his attention.  Glib stared in amazement, his eyes going absurdly wide as he looked at the absolute treasure that lay in front of him.

A sack.  

It was the most beautiful thing Glibitikus had ever seen, the tough and wiry cords of rope reed colored a bright, pleasing red with redroot dye.  It had smooth-yet-scratchy leather decorating it in swirls and zigzags, and it had bands made from the bones of a very large creature encircling it at regular intervals.  Along the outer edge of the bag ran a line of birch wood spikes, and even Glib, with his limited knowledge of trees, could tell that this was superior quality birch.

With tentative claws, Glib first simply touched, and then lifted the magnificient thing up.  He stood on the pile of random clothing and goods and held the sack above his head and let out a triumphant battlecry, shaking the thing at the heavens in his victory.

When the shopkeeper opened the door to his shop again, he found a small creature with light brown skin standing on one of his goods displays, holding up a backpack (one of the junk items he had been meaning to clear out of his store since he couldn't even hope to sell such ugly things) and yelling.

For a moment, he could only stand there in the doorway and stare at the kobold howling at the backpack over its head.  Then his shopowner instincts kicked in and he shouted at the kobold.

"HEY!  Hey you!  Drop that!"

There was really no point in telling the kobold to drop the foul bag, he was going to throw it out anyways.  However, he couldn't let some random kobold come into his shop and steal something, even if it was worthless.

Glib's battlecry stuck in his throat with an odd *GUCK* sound.  Slowly, he looked down from the bag and turned his head towards the open door, and the angry-looking human standing in it.

"EEP!"

Glib almost leapt into the sack's strap as he put it on.  The shopkeeper let out another "HEY!", but it was to late.  Glib was in full flight, and a cloud of miscellaneous items went flying into the air as he scrabbled across the counter away from the human.

The shopkeeper charged after him, running through the kobold's rooster-tail of debris as he chased him around the shop.

Kobolds, already quite nimble, gain an almost supernatural agility when frightened.  Glib dashed across piles of clothing, crawled underneath chairs and tables, and even scrambled along one of the walls as the angry shopkeeper came after him.

In a desperate attempt to get more time, Glib started picking up some of the things he was running over and throwing them back at the human behind him.  Far more accurate than the wild spray kicked up by his feet, the flopping projectiles smacked dead center into the shopkeeper's bright red face.

"HEY!  I SAID STO- *FWAP* -OOF!  CUT THAT OU- *FWAP* -RRMPH!  I'M GOING TO CALL THE GU- *FWAP* -MMR!"

Glib, who wouldn't have been able to understand the shopkeeper's shouting even if it wasn't cut short by random articles of clothing, paid no heed to his threats.  Instead, he just ran faster.

After making a few laps around the shop in this manner, Glib's panic had cooled to the point where he could start looking for an actual escape route.  The door was too heavy for him to open quickly enough, and so he started looking for something, anything, that could get him away from this screaming human.

He spotted the window and made a mad dash for it, leaping out and onto the street outside.  The shopkeeper stuck his head out and bellowed into the street that most ancient of commands.

"STOP!  THIEF!"

The townsfolk, stunned somewhat by the appearance of a kobold wearing a backpack, were kicked into action by the word "thief".

Glib gulped.  Glib ran.  The town ran after him.

The nearby guardsmen gathered together and chased after the kobold, clanking after him in their armor.  Waving their weapons and bellowing like men on a fox hunt, they ran through the streets after the bag-thief.

A watchman armed with a bow woke up in the comotion and fired an arrow into a nearby tree in his confusion.  After getting his wits about him, he looked at the approaching parade.  A stream of townsfolk ran behind the three guards, and the guards ran behind a kobold carrying the strangest backpack he had ever seen.  Taking careful aim, he fired at the kobold, landing an arrow into its left bicep.

Glib cried out in pain as the arrow struck him, but he kept running as wuickly as he could manage.  At least his legs still worked.

The watchman, the guards, the shopkeeper, the mayor, the local schoolchildren, a small dog that yipped as it pranced along, all chased after the thief.  Down dusty streets, around corners, up slopes and down drops, they chased him.

But Glib was simply too fast.  Too fast, and too intent on keeping his life and his newly-acquired loot sack.  He continually added to the ground behind him, and dashed off into the falling darkness as the sun settled in for a night's rest.

Some distance away from the town, once he'd convinced himself that he had evaded the guards, he sat down heavily and rested his legs.  He looked over at the arrow still sticking out of his arm, and with a pitiful expression of dread he grabbed it and began tugging it out of the wound.

Luckily for him, the shot was as close to a graze as it could get while still sticking into his skin.  The few muscle fibers that had been cut would heal in short order.  None of this made much difference fo Glib, however, since he still had to pull an iron-headed arrow out of his arm.  As he pulled it free from the flesh, possibly doing more damage than the initial insertion of the thing, he gabbled and gibbered in the kobold language's equivalent of swearing.

His short attention span came in handy. Soon after he pulled it out the pain in his arm was forgotten in lieu of admiring the shiny arrow.  He had raided a town and come out with a sack and a shiny arrow.  A bright smile spread across his face.

Life was good.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 09, 2008, 01:19:00 pm »

This might be the best in the series yet.  :D
Still think he'd be the perfect candidate for a thong.  :p

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #351 on: May 10, 2008, 05:43:00 am »

Glib has been ecstatic lately. He admire own fine Iron arrow lately. He was lightly wounded lately.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 10, 2008, 05:54:00 am »

Well, you lot have certainly taken a liking to the little mischief-maker.  It's fun to write for him, because of his koboldly ways of dealing with things.  He's not expected to take down giant scorpions, rip the eyes out of every person in town, or rip the entrails out of the local unicorn population.  No, he's expected to grab pointless objects, throw bugs at people, and run away at the first sign of danger.  

I'm afraid updates won't be as speedy as you might hope, as I'm currently brewing up something else that's going to take some setting up.   I'll try to lay out another chapter in the Chronicles of Glibitikusree (CoG) by tonight.  Mind you, that's tonight my time.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 10, 2008, 10:12:00 am »

After his shining success at the last human town, Glibitikusree decided to look for another, slightly smaller, human settlement to play with.  He spent several days wandering the wilderness, running from unicorns, throwing giant fleas at wolf packs, chasing down and eating groundhogs, and generally enjoying himself before coming upon the peaceful hamlet of Xembengel.

It had been some time since Glib had last eaten, and so he decided to take a look inside some of the smaller buildings which he assumed were personal burrows of some sort.

Inside one such building, he found a barrel full of salted meat, some of which came from creatures that Glib had never seen before in his life.

He ate greedily, stuffing his mouth with the tasty meat.  Once he was full, his mind was able to consider more devious uses for the remaining food.  He pried off the barrel's lid entirely, and began dumping the meat out onto the floor.  He stuff a few lumps into his sack for safe keeping, and then set to his solemn duty as a kobold.

He began throwing slabs of meat in all directions, the salted meat thudding off the walls and bouncing off the furniture in the small house.  He stacked it in piles on the bed, ripped off small strips and stuck them into small cracks in the walls and floor, took out the feathers from the pillow-sack and stuffed meat into it instead.  When he finally stood back to survey his handiwork, there was not a single place that had been left untouched by either salted meat or feathers.  Glib nodded his head approvingly, and then walked out the door, still clutching a piece of meat in one hand.

Encouraged, he entered one of the larger buildings nearby.  He didn't have any idea as to what it was, but decided it was worth at least looking at.  He smeared his chunk of meat on the doorhandle before pushing it open all the way and stepping inside.

He took a couple steps into the building, staring fixedly up at the high ceiling that seemed to tower above him.  Not looking where he was going, he tripped over something on the floor.

"What in the hells..."

Glib scrambled to his feet and looked at what he had stepped on.  The human propped herself up on her elbows and glared blearily in the direction of Glib.  

It took her a few moments for her sleepy and more-than-simply-tired bloodshoot eyes to make out the form in front of her.  When she did, her eyes flew open and she let out a yell of alarm.

"KOBOLD!  There's a feckin' kobold in 'ere!  Kill it!"

Glib heard sounds from up above and looked up.  On the level above, several people got groggily up from the bunks, chairs, or puddles of stale beer that they had been sleeping in.  One, an archer employed as local defense, looked down at Glib and began hastily searching underneath the nearby tables for his bow.

Glib screamed, and the high-pitched sound of his yelping struck nails into the ears of the drunkards who were still in the process of waking up.  Glib dashed around the large woman that he had tripped over, ducking under her meaty arms as she swung them at him in groggy punches.  There was a dischordant thundering from above as the drunkards on the second level started tumbling over chairs and tables as they made their way to the stairs.

He danced around another drunkard that had risen from his sleeping spot near the door, dodged yet another swinging blow from the woman, and shot out the still-open door.

As Glib made a hasty retreat, he realized that he still held the hunk of salted meat.  Taking a quick glance for aiming purposes, Glib hurled the meat at the drunkards that were piling out of the door and coming after him.

The fleshy slab flopped limply in the air before falling short.  Glib was at first disappointed, but he soon felt his spirits rise as the lead drunkard stepped on the briny meat and slipped, falling backwards into the person behind him.

The drunkards, not known for their agility or balance, quickly collapsed into a swearing and belching pile as one drunkard fell backward into the next, setting off a chain reaction that brought every last one of them to the ground.

Grinning from ear to ear, Glibitikusree pranced away into the darkness at the edge of town.  Time for someplace new.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 10, 2008, 10:33:00 am »

Awesome.  I would hate to be the owner of that particular house.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 10, 2008, 11:12:00 am »

MEAT PILLOW!!!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 12, 2008, 07:09:00 am »

I've been doing some more work on project Codename: Amithulthush, so the next update will probably come sometime tomorrow.  Feel free to excersize the DnG! freedom to vote, and decide where Glub should go next and what he should do.

By the way...  Before you lot start voting on it, there's not a single thong in the world that can fit him.  Got it?

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 12, 2008, 10:46:00 am »

AW darn...

Well it was a good idea non-the-less.  :p

Anyways what to vote on?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 12, 2008, 10:59:00 am »

Ehh...   Was kinda hoping you'd just come up with something.  Hang on, lemme take a look at the map again.

Okay...  We've got elves to the East, Southeast, and far to the South.  Dwarves far to the South.  Goblins far to the South-Southwest.  Humans to the Northwest and Southeast (The two villages that have already been visited.  There are probably more lurking around in the unrevealed territory).

He's sitting on a hill, one of many.  The nearby terrain includes steppes to the Southwest, forests to the East, wastelands to the North and a sea to the South/Southeast, with a river going back West and then South.

Like I said, there are probably a few more human settlements sitting around here.  He's sitting in a great big blob of blackness as far as the eye can't see.  No formal list this time, since I can't think of much to do at the moment.

Oh, by the way, his pack is currently stuffed full of beetles, and he's holding the arrow in his right hand.  He also has some elk meat, and some inventory bloating caused by staying out in the cold too long (severe cold causes bleeding of the eyes, dontcha know).

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 12, 2008, 03:28:00 pm »

I vote elves to the southeast. Bothering the pointy-eared gits sounds like fun, if a bit more of a challenge when spotted...
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 37