Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 37

Author Topic: Death and Glory!  (Read 58258 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Death and Glory!
« Reply #300 on: April 28, 2008, 09:15:00 am »

It won't occur in the story, it's just there to provide a larger companion group.  The more skilled a character is in any skill, the more followers he can have in his party.  Conversational skills have absolutely no bearing on adventure mode.

EDIT:  Woohoo, 300th post!

[ April 28, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Lord_Frodo

• Bay Watcher
  • The crazy in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 29, 2008, 04:18:00 pm »

I agree with Frelock, we should be able to bring along a few more but not to many.
Even the cutest things can be endearing when on fire. ~ Cajoes
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 29, 2008, 05:21:00 pm »

If things work towards this,try and get some things with [EXTRAVISION](that is the tag right?)And attack some place at night.But after this run,no need to change plans as we're at them.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 30, 2008, 01:39:00 am »

So far as I can tell, I'm the only creature in the group that has reduced vision at night.  Everybody else can see just fine.

And besides, creatures with [EXTRAVISION] can't see any better at night than creatures without it.  It does, however, let them see without eyes.  The scorpions have it, as a matter of fact.

I think I just trimmed off one of the options for the next adventurer.  "Coming to my senses", you might say.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 30, 2008, 09:56:00 am »

You might want to try LIGHT_GEN and VIEWRANGE tags to get a creature with perfect night vision.

In fact, I think I want to try it and add it to the MA mod...

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 30, 2008, 03:49:00 pm »

Well, this is moving right along...   If the voting doesn't clarify itself by tomorrow evening, I'll just make an executive decision and buff myself with a silver tongue.  The more wolves the merrier, I always say.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 30, 2008, 03:58:00 pm »

Alright, I'll vote for allowing interventions.  :)
But you'll have get a stray tigerman with a few felines into your next group....

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 30, 2008, 04:03:00 pm »

'greed

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 30, 2008, 04:04:00 pm »

Hmm...

One quick question: Does the [AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE] tag extend to cave creatures?

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 30, 2008, 04:13:00 pm »

Yep, it does.  I'm buggered if I want to find a cave though, I'd need to find another human settlement and get a quest from the mayor before he gets torn to shreds.  No other way of finding the things, unless you want me to wander around in the wilderness looking for one.

Are companions recorded through retirement?  There might be some problems arising from Liceyi's short stint as a retiree.  As for the tigerman, gonna have to say that that's a no-can-do.  There's the issue of that one tiny little peace tag being vacant from the tigerman's entity.  Maybe I'll do some tribal warfare at some other point, but as for now it'll just be woodland creatures.  Except for those two scorpions, that is...

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 01, 2008, 12:34:00 pm »

You don't necessarily have to get a quest. You could ask some peasants on the outskirts of town about the local area, or even ask some elves back at the forest retreat. Eventually, someone will tell you about a cave somewhere.
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 01, 2008, 12:52:00 pm »

I suppose I could ask around one of the forest retreats.  Hadn't thought of that.

I'll do it if folks want me to, same as anything else.

However, the time has now come for me to hack his skills and grant him a gift of gab rarely seen outside dwarven dining rooms.   Updates in a bit.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 01, 2008, 02:23:00 pm »

With Galzega in ruins, and guarded over by the might of a giant scorpion, Liceyi turned his sights on a town just downstream from Snakesscrubs.  A quiet town by the name of Ithrosdotep

They struck fast, and they struck hard.  They infiltrated the great inn that stood as the town's meeting point, and had stormed inside before the mayor could even realize what was happening.

Mayor Athrab Gukizobsha, who had been planning his re-election campaign for some weeks now, was "fed to the wolves" in a manner he had not at all expected.

Liceyi took his body and threw it outside at the nearby townsfolk who had come to see what the screaming was about.  A man who had been pleasantly eating a piece of cow flesh was stunned to such an extent that his meal fell limply from his hands and thudded onto the ground.

Wolves, unicorns and scorpions fought with fang and claw, hoof and sting.  The soft humans stood not a chance in fair combat against these creatures.  Their contraptions, however.  Those handheld ballistae with their vicious bolts and gruesome twangs, they could bring death to the woodland creatures with unnatural swiftness.  Although the humans themselves were inferior, they were capable of crafting things much greater than themselves.

Liceyi danced among the fur and chitin in a blur of swift footwork and vindictive strength.  He brought the ceremonial club of ironwood down upon the bones of many a human, snapping bones and mashing skin to aid his forest companions.  A guard came at him in an attempt to rid the snake of its head, but Liceyi had grown to fast for such blunt tactics.  With but a whisper of sound, he sidestepped the guard's rushes with an uncanny grace, causing the guard to become even more blinded by his rage and his determination to bring the elf down.

Liceyi positioned himself carefully, and when the guard came at him again he sidestepped to reveal the giant scorpion behind, tail raised and pincers gleaming with blood.  A scream managed to make its way out of the guard's mouth before it was silenced permanently by the lightning-fast movement of the scorpion's stinger plunging itself into the guard's abdomen.

As the wickedly curved stinger entered the guard's guts, the guard gave an unsettling "*glurk*", and drifted down onto the ground where his face remained in that almost comical expression of astonishment until the carrion birds ate it off.

More guards came to the call, a pikeman and a hammerman, brandishing their weapons in a desperate attempt at scaring the invaders away.  Such was, of course, not the case.

Four of the unicorns charged them with heads lowered and horns pointed.  One had the sense to step out of the way of the charge, the other had no such tactic.  With a popping sound, the horn of the closest creature drove itself throguh the guard's breastplate and sank deep into the flesh beneath, breaking apart ribs in its questing for the guard's lifeblood.

The pikeman leveled his weapon against the unicorns, only to find his grip broken by the insistent maw of a wolf, one of many that now circled around the guard.  As the pikeman saw the pack closing around him and spreading to enclose him in their ring of death, he saw his fate.  As utter, crushing revelation dawned in his eyes, the wolf behind him leapt onto his back and sank its teeth into the nape of the guard's neck.

Again the wild forces of nature triumphed over the weakling forces of men.  Blood ran in the gutters as water after a storm, and the dead paved the streets with their bodies.  As day began to give way to an eerie twilight, Liceyi rummaged around in his pack for a small pouch crafted of spider's silk.  From this he took a single reddish-black seed, its shape reminiscient of a sickle moon, and placed it inside the chest cavity of a peasant who had had his life ended by a unicorn's intervention.

The black vine seed took root almost instantly in the still-warm flesh of the dead man, its tendrils spreading through the musculature like veins of black blood.  Within days the town would look as though it had grown a full head of black, twisted hair as the creeper took in every drop of blood that had been spilled.

Liceyi stood back for a moment, watching the vine growing with its unusual speed.  Once he was satisfied that the job had been done, he called his companions to him and left the ghost town.  It was best to not stay nearby, lest the vines grow too hungry...

---------------*~*The dream clouds over*~*-----------------

Egh, this is getting hard to write for.  Most of the fighting I just described never happened, since things just don't work out in a heroic fashion when you've got a bunch of wind-up wolves and stuffed unicorns banging themselves into walls while the scorpions, brandishing stolen garments of clothing instead of their far more dangerous natural weaponry, proceed to flap about around equally inept guards.  I did, however, throw the mayor's body out into the street.

Well, this might be a slightly difficult question, but I've got to ask it.  Should I carry on with this character?  Playing as a beastlord is tons of fun, but trying to convey the experience into words is like trying to play the fiddle with a pocket wrench.  I won't be doing another summoner character, that's for sure.  I need to have someone who can take a bit of the glory for themselves.

I promise to write up a nice ending to Liceyi if he gets trashed, but I'll also try as hard as I can to write something interesting if the vote says he lives.  I'm afraid the battles aren't going to get much spicier than what's already happened, since most of the time I can't even see what's going on.

I hate delaying updates like this and assigning all these little votes, but this is a difficult character to work with.  Again, like I said, if you feel there's still some life in this nutty elf then I will give my all in writing about him.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to browsing the "zombie" section of Armor Games.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 01, 2008, 04:01:00 pm »

I think it is about time he took on a demon lord then. (or whatever the nearest goblin group's equivalent is in the MA mod, I'm not familiar with it.)

Sure humans are tree cutting fools who worship imaginary(?) gods, but goblins are tree cutting, demon worshiping, earth raping, pedophiles.

Make sure you attack a high population one.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 01, 2008, 05:40:00 pm »

Goblins..  yeah, he could try. There's dark elves, too. Dark elves can put up a nice resistance if half of their guard isn't asleep as I usually find them. They really are frail though.

Kagus, did you explore the locations of goblin and d.elven settlements beforehand? There's a good chance the goblins have settled on top of a chasm...  if it's the bad kind of chasm, with the golems in it, you'll be in for one hell of a battle.

I tried to train up a hydra and take on a chasmful of stone golems. Eventually I survived purely by the sheer size. They couldn't make a dint or get any sort of grip, so I just crawled around over-exerted and took occasional pot shots at them, while them golems (some dozen or so) were whacking away and periodically dodging into the chasm.... There was this great goblin macelord guy that was cracking them buggers up like waffles, but I never got to meet him. Some spearman stabbed me in one of the necks and twisted the spear until I bled to death.

So, yeah, uh, the vote. As much as I want to see you battle the dark brethren of Liceyi, maybe you should try to go enforce some justice on the goblins? If you really want to end the character, get killed by the High priest or the chief badguy, and write a nice story for it.

Oh, and you could try to get those clothing items from the animals by wrestling them away. If you do it right, you'll still keep the animal under your control... or so I think..

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 37