Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 37

Author Topic: Death and Glory!  (Read 58257 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Death and Glory!
« Reply #210 on: April 01, 2008, 11:35:00 am »

I recommend the Minerals mod in addition to the MA mod. Aluminum arbalests FTW.

As far as weapons go, power for weight, elven longblades do a 3.5 ratio, though they only do 70 damage. Flanged maces (human weapon) do 130, with a 3.25 ratio. For pure power, greatswords are teh win, with 200 damage, but they are stupendously heavy. A dwarven waraxe is the best axe around, and probably the most balanced weapon.

If you think to do ranged combat, an elf or a dwarf are probably the best. Elves have their various enchanted arrows, and dwarves have the "bembularros" omnilauncher. The omnilauncher's alright as a hammer, too. Humans have the best "hammer" of the crossbows, the giant arbalest, that hits comparably to normal weapons, and the spears it fires do considerable damage.
If you feel like doing masochism, play a darkelven marksman. Their hand crossbows are second only to the stick-firing crude shortbows of the kobolds, in the "worst ranged weapon" category.

Personally I think you could do a dwarf hammerer....  wielding an omnilauncher. To do that you'll need A Proficient Marksdwarf, with Skilled Hammerdwarf, Skilled Shield user, and Novice Swimmer. Works alright.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 01, 2008, 07:29:00 pm »

I think we need a human with a gigantic crossbow, since that's an option under the current mod scheme.
"Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally-designed image of a dragon and a dwarf by Ber Ilavuz.  The dragon is making a plaintive gesture.  The dwarf is striking a menacing pose."

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 01, 2008, 08:08:00 pm »

I'd reroll the hammerer,that was just unlucky.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 01, 2008, 10:50:00 pm »

Three consecutive random encounters...  First a wolf pack, then a black bear, then the grizzly.  Every time I moved on the travel map, I hit another ambush.  Downright action-packed.

Vugor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 01, 2008, 11:16:00 pm »

i second the reroll of the hammerer

better luck next time mate?
(anyone ever play mel gibson's safari 2?)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 02, 2008, 02:00:00 am »

Okay, I'm making an executive decision.  Next guy will be a shield master, and will spend his life collecting more and more shields.  They will be his only weapons and, when his armor starts to get heavy, his only protection.

I'm shooting for the shield-related awards in the Dwarf-ympics thread.  Keep voting for the next character, he'll come about when shield-boy dies.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 02, 2008, 02:04:00 am »

That'll work... this way at least there is some verity before HAMMER ALL ELVES!!!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 02, 2008, 02:21:00 am »

Okay...  The latest edition of the MA+ mod appears to be bugged all to hell.  Trying both the mineral mod and MA+ crashes every time and has unrecognized tokens.  Doing just the MA+ mod crashes every time and has even more unrecognized tokens.

Behold, the errorlog after generating one world (MA+, no mineral mod):

Unrecognized Stone Token: ANTHRACITE
Unrecognized Stone Token: PEATSTONE
Unrecognized Item Token: BONE
Unrecognized Stone Token: SKELETANITE
Unrecognized Stone Token: MOLYBDENITE
Unrecognized Stone Token: MAGNETITESAND
Unrecognized Stone Token: RAW_INOBTANIUM
Duplicate Object: item ITEM_SHOES_BOOTS_PLATE
Duplicate Object: item ITEM_SHIELD_TOWER
Duplicate Object: item ITEM_SHIELD_SHARD
Duplicate Object: item ITEM_HELM_HELM_FULL
Duplicate Object: item ITEM_HELM_HELMET
Duplicate Object: item ITEM_HELM_CROWN
Unrecognized Stone Token: SKELETANITE
Unrecognized Stone Token: MOLYBDENITE
Unrecognized Stone Token: MAGNETITESAND

Adding the mineral mod (overwriting, actually.  That might have something to do with it) generates something like this:

Duplicate Object: item ITEM_SHOES_BOOTS_PLATE
Duplicate Object: item ITEM_SHIELD_TOWER
Duplicate Object: item ITEM_SHIELD_SHARD
Duplicate Object: item ITEM_HELM_HELM_FULL
Duplicate Object: item ITEM_HELM_HELMET
Duplicate Object: item ITEM_HELM_CROWN

And the game never runs.  It's the "please send a bugreport to Microsoft so that we can ignore it" kinda error.  I'm going to try adding the mineral mod without overwriting anything, but I don't think that will help.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 02, 2008, 02:57:00 am »

I also second Re-rolling the Hammerdwarf, though the Shield master could be interesting.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 02, 2008, 07:05:00 am »

Okay, with a little tweaking I've gotten rid of the unrecognized tokens.  Just a little mix-up, where the tag of raw inobtanium was changed, but the references to it weren't.  Also, bones are apparently not recognized by smelter reactions.  Bye-bye bone blocks.

I can't figure out the duplicate items though...  I have no idea what's causing that.  I'll spend a little more time fixing Sean's mod for him, and I'll see if I can get it to run well enough to spawn forth the required meat for your entertainment.

EDIT:  It ain't showin' its secrets to me.  I'll leave it to him to sort out the duplicate armor problem, since he's got the changelog.

[ April 02, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 02, 2008, 09:40:00 am »

I'll ascertain the workability of the next mod's version. 'Tis strange, 1.5a worked right, and I haven't changed much in 1.5b...  Meanwhile I suppose you should move back to 1.5a. I'm too deep into the next version to look back now. :| I keep getting crashes with it (the new one), during gameplay, so I guess I need to iron them out before I'm done with it...

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 03, 2008, 03:28:00 am »

Okay...  Where can I get 1.5a?   These past few adventurers are all from 1.4, since that was the version at the time (about twenty seconds before you updated).

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 03, 2008, 10:06:00 am »

So, you were using 1.4? Did you delete all the stuff in the Data/Objects folder after you've installed the mod? There's a warning at the top of the first post in the mod's thread, about changed file structure.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 03, 2008, 11:09:00 am »

Yes, everything was gone.  I figured there would probably be some conflicts, and decided to wipe the folder, copy over the base files from a clean DF install (I've got one sitting around to test mod compatibility) and plant the MA+ files on top of that.   The two reference bugs I found were in your files (RAW_INOBTANIUM and the bone matter), and the duplicate items I can only assume are in those files as well.  

I have no idea where to go with the duplicate items.  It's apparently a big enough bug to prevent play, but I don't know where it originates from.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 03, 2008, 12:11:00 pm »

Hm. Just made a new folder with DF, and copied the latest MA and Minerals mods over it. Only two errors, none that affect adventure mode. One is an error in the Manual Selection Hack (forgot to rename raw inobtanium to inobtanite, mainly because I don't use the thing myself), the other is the aforementioned bone crafting reaction, where the only reason it doesn't work is because I typed "BONE" instead of "BONES" for item type.

Subsequently (without fixing), unsuccessfully commited suicide (twice) using a three-story keep, then tried to attack a child, missed, passed out and got strangled.

Everything works...

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 37