Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Dwarven Musical Chairs  (Read 19575 times)

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Musical Chairs
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2008, 08:36:00 pm »

And the first week's results are in.

See the scores!

"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
    • Bay Watcher Arena V2.0!
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2008, 04:24:00 pm »

Important Notes on RockTomb for the second ruler:

The maps are highly important, I have marked most of the important locations on them.  You'll find them here: RockTomb - 1054.  The other can be found nearby.

I have ordered that the farms cease production of plants, because of our massive surplus.  Much of our food is in prepared meals as well.  If you can manage to keep the still going most of the time, you won't run out of alcohol (assuming not many immigrants arrive).  If the supply does run low, make another still near the second food stockpile.

The stockpile of pitchblende is not to be touched under any circumstances!  It is needed for a secret project that the King has requested the fort construct.  Future rulers may participate in digging a large hole in the ground, no greater in size than can be covered by four of the largest possible bridges.  Nothing is to be constructed in the hole, and you must guard any passageways open to it with the strongest doors possible, whether made of steel, or of the bauxite that is common in the upper parts of the mountain.

Not much is known of the interior of the mountain, so be careful.  I am not sure what may lurk within.

Oh, and before I forget, most of the animals are in a small hole near the cage room, if you need any, just build a stairway to them, but cover it with a hatch that they may not exit by.

If you need any more information, send a messenger to WindLeopard.

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2008, 11:13:00 pm »

One final VERY IMPORTANT NOTE:
Dump ALL the stone, ore, and gems.  Then just reclaim it from the hole.  Rocktomb must be very clean.  Also, smooth all floors and walls.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2008, 05:02:00 pm »

...you do realize that it's only your fortress when you play it?  :p
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2008, 05:16:00 pm »

Yes, I'd just like it to be somewhat similar in architecture when it comes back,   :D.

[ January 30, 2008: Message edited by: apache1990 ]

Firemage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2008, 11:24:00 am »

I try to adapt to your kind of architecture, even if our styles are as different as they can get. Your corridors are way too narrow for my taste.
But I think I have an idea for the pitchblende-pit. (I won't touch the pitchblende itself of course!)
nuclear missile silo - here we come!  :D

But besides of that I give no guarantees, especially not about the stone-dumping.
There are 6 others who want to mess up "your" fortress anyway. ^^

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2008, 11:03:00 am »

Hey guys, my pc has started playing up badly, so this weeks submission will be a little less long winded, as I'm having to use a pc at my uni. Sorry.

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2008, 04:05:00 pm »

Well, I figured "Why make wide halls if the space isn't used anyway?"

Since the dwarfs don't actually make any effort to use the space to avoid collisions, they just take the shortest path with no cares about who is in the way.

I loved when the person who got a fey mood kept getting trampled as he tried to reach the workshop, :P.

"Why don't you do something important?"
*trample*
"-ouch!  I'm telling you, this will be so awesome!" *trample* "@#&$!"

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2008, 04:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by apache1990:
<STRONG>Since the dwarfs don't actually make any effort to use the space to avoid collisions, they just take the shortest path with no cares about who is in the way.</STRONG>

Wait what?

find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2008, 07:04:00 pm »

Exactly what I said.  In the 2d version, they'd attempt to dodge each other most of the time, but in now, if they all are going to, say, the dining room or food stockpile, they always walk on the same side of the hall for me.

http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=002637
"veryinky

Bay Watcher

posted January 17, 2008 11:06 PM
In the .23 2d version, dwarves avoided occupied squares, so there was a point to building wide corridors, but ever since the 3d version, they all form one single square wide line which crawls about."

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2008, 07:20:00 pm »

Yet if they're following the shortest path, in some places it would make sense to have wider corridors.

code:
=====1===
........=
........=
=====2===

. - Floor
= - Wall
# - Destination

If they're going to destination 1, they'll walk the upper. Destination 2 goers would take the lower side. Going to destination 3, one would take the middle path.

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2008, 10:29:00 pm »

Well, then that's my own problem, :P.  I never put rooms at the end of a hallway (except the mayor's room down the Hall of Seven).

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2008, 10:56:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by apache1990:
<STRONG>Well, then that's my own problem, :P.  I never put rooms at the end of a hallway (except the mayor's room down the Hall of Seven).</STRONG>

Still, you must put rooms on both sides of a hall, at least for bedrooms and workshops (Depending on your workshop layout).
At least a double wide hallway would be in order.

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2008, 11:23:00 pm »

I do use double wide everywhere.

Stravitch

• Bay Watcher
  • Lenod Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2008, 03:20:00 pm »

Ultimaphantom  Intensebanners was my next fort.  Because of its small size and my lack of free time this weekend, I've only contributed a year to the turn.  There is a lot of potential for this map with the resources that readily available.  The toughest part of this map so far was the initial 22 dwarf wave of immigrants almost immediately after I started playing ><

The Map for the fort is here:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11